• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 01•13-15•17 - Figures says Bye Bye to all comers, Affleck has a (bad) dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Topo

Passengers should bring in a decent amount of money (globally) when all is said and done. Good for Sony.

Damn, Affleck. They have Live By Night ads everywhere and you still lost to Bye Bye Man and Monster Trucks.

That's the cinematic universe appeal.

hamchan

Sad to see Affleck on the downturn now. If things don't recover we can actually point to Batman as the turning point.

Valhelm

contribute something
Surprised and impressed by both Hidden Figures and La La Land doing so well. Really hope this encourages Hollywood producers to support less conventional projects.

Well by casting Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence the budget of the film went up substantially that they had to restructure the film to a blockbuster by adding action and appeal to a much wider audience, otherwise it would've been a modestly budgeted, romantic sci-fi fi film. If I'm not mistaken, Jennifer Lawrence alone was paid 20 million.

I suppose but I'm not sure the original incarnation would hit break even either if it would have turned out similar quality with a cheaper budget but less well known actors.

Idk this is one case where I legit think they probably saved this thing from Uber tanking but then again I'm not sure what the original budget plan was.

J_Viper

Sad to see Affleck on the downturn now. If things don't recover we can actually point to Batman as the turning point.

There had to be some outside factor that led to Live by Night turning out the way it did.

Could've been the rushed production, his marriage falling apart, possible substance abuse issues, etc.

He couldn't have been in the same state of mind that he was in his previous films.

And the best film of 2016 to boot, Tarzan. Incredible.

b6592d205f05c64aaedbde32049a284e.jpg

Not

Banned
I am INCREDIBLY excited this movie's doing well.

I guess people want to support actual history and not the revisionist propaganda we've been subject to for centuries.

cj_iwakura

I agree that 3 is better than 2, but 2 is better than Batman Forever.

Yes, but 3 was better in the pacing, action and maybe even humor department.

It felt forgettable to me, just more mindless MCU mayhem. 2 at least tried to be different, especially with the villain. He actually had a mind, even though they tried to act like he was an idiot.

kswiston

This timeline just keeps getting worse and worse.

The David Yates talk reminded me that I wanted to do a list of the top directors by worldwide gross for about a year now, but never really got around to it.

Box Office Mojo has a list of top Directors that you can sort by total domestic gross. BOM also lists partial WW grosses under the pages of each director. Films that only had domestic grosses are missing from the WW totals for some reason. The WW list also doesn't count domestic re-releases (but it does count overseas re-releases) because why not?

Wikipedia has a Worldwide Top 10 that hasn't been updated in over 2 years in most cases, and doesn't seem to even be accurate for the time frame. Probably due to the Mojo problems listed above (and a lack of interest).

So what follows is a more accurate list of the Top 20 directors by worldwide gross. I have stuck to wide releases (1000+ theatres in modern times, 600+ theatres in the 70s/80s) to make the average gross column comparable (Peter Jackson had 3 early films released in fewer than 60 theatres domestically for instance). I have also removed documentaries, including Cameron's IMAX stuff for the same reason.

Coincidentally, the Top 20 directors are also every director that has grossed at least $3B at the worldwide box office to date. That will probably change starting this year or next year.

Top 20 Directors by Worldwide gross

Code:
Rank	Director		Total Gross	Films	Average Gross
1	Steven Spielberg	$9.700B		29	$334M
2	Peter Jackson		$6.521B		9	$725M
3	James Cameron		$6.174B		7	$882M
4	Michael Bay 		$5.845B		12	$487M
5	David Yates		$5.334B		6	$889M
6	Robert Zemeckis		$4.272B		16	$267M
7	Christopher Nolan	$4.225B		8	$528M
8	Tim Burton		$4.083B		17	$240M
9	Chris Columbus		$4.100B		15	$273M
10	Ron Howard		$3.985B		23	$173M
11	Roland Emmerich		$3.823B		10	$382M
12	Ridley Scott		$3.791B		22	$172M
13	Gore Verbinski		$3.729B		9	$414M
14	J.J. Abrams		$3.579B		5	$716M
15	George Lucas		$3.406B		5	$681M
16	Sam Raimi		$3.250B		10	$325M
17	Francis Lawrence	$3.207B		6	$535M
18	Carlos Saldanha		$3.176B		6	$529M
19	Clint Eastwood		$3.133B		32	$98M
20	Lee Unkrich		$3.082B		4	$771M

- #21 on the list of top directors is Joss Whedon. He gets a bit of help from the fact that Avengers + Age of Ultron = $2.924B

- Yates has the highest average gross per film of any director on this list, and likely anyone with more than one wide release to their name (*cough* Colin Trevorrow *cough*) period. Glancing through the likely animation suspects, no one tops Yates that I can see.

EDIT:

Top 10 Directors by Worldwide gross if you discount everyone who has made >50% of their total from a single franchise

Code:
Rank	Director		Total Gross	Films	Average Gross
1	Steven Spielberg	$9.700B		29	$334M
2	James Cameron		$6.174B		7	$882M
3	Robert Zemeckis		$4.272B		16	$267M
4	Christopher Nolan	$4.225B		8	$528M
5	Tim Burton		$4.083B		17	$240M
6	Chris Columbus		$4.100B		15	$273M
7	Ron Howard		$3.985B		23	$173M
8	Roland Emmerich		$3.823B		10	$382M
9	Ridley Scott		$3.791B		22	$172M
10	Clint Eastwood		$3.133B		32	$98M

Chris Columbus and Christopher Nolan barely qualify (I think Nolan in particular ended up at like 49.5% of his gross coming from Batman)

jett

D-Member
The David Yates talk reminded me that I wanted to do a list of the top directors by worldwide gross for about a year now, but never really got around to it.

-snip-

Nice!

Señor Spielbergo will only get beaten one day due to the nature of inflation. If only JC was more prolific though, although who knows what the Abadar sequels might bring.

Oersted

Nice!

Señor Spielbergo will only get beaten one day due to the nature of inflation. If only JC was more prolific though, although who knows what the Abadar sequels might bring.

You gotta give it to Cameron. Less than 1/4 than Spielbergs output but he creeped up fast.

kswiston

I have to laugh a little at JJ Being on the list because of Episode 7. BOM puts TFA at 2.066 Billion, which is over half his worldwide total.

If you take away his two largest films, Abrams' total would be $1.044B

If you take away Cameron's two largest films, his total would be $1.199B

EDIT:

If you take away Joss Whedon's two largest films, his total is $43M

3N16MA

Banned
David Yates is the new Cameron. Everything he touches turns to gold.

David Yates fan club is currently taking new members. Vinny and I welcome everyone.

Well by casting Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence the budget of the film went up substantially that they had to restructure the film to a blockbuster by adding action and appeal to a much wider audience, otherwise it would've been a modestly budgeted, romantic sci-fi fi film. If I'm not mistaken, Jennifer Lawrence alone was paid 20 million.

They should have spent more money on the script to actually make it romantic instead of irredeemably creepy.

If you take away his two largest films, Abrams' total would be $1.044B

If you take away Cameron's two largest films, his total would be $1.199B

EDIT:

If you take away Joss Whedon's two largest films, his total is $43M

In for the Whedon shade!

David Yates is the new Cameron. Everything he touches turns to gold.

David Yates fan club is currently taking new members. Vinny and I welcome everyone.

I have no issue with Yates. I don't get the hate that gets thrown his way on here.
But, he isn't a director I would make a point of seeing his films based on his name alone. He is just a solid director that doesn't seem to be rocking the boat.

They should have spent more money on the script to actually make it romantic instead of irredeemably creepy.

One man's romantic is another's creepy. Remember, many people found Edward watching Bella sleep romantic in Twilight, when it was in fact very creepy.

3N16MA

Banned
In for the Whedon shade!

I have no issue with Yates. I don't get the hate that gets thrown his way on here.
But, he isn't a director I would make a point of seeing his films based on his name alone. He is just a solid director that doesn't seem to be rocking the boat.

The Yates thing is more of a joke. Vinny and I were championing Tarzan and Yates. WB pretty much keeps him in his factory and he pumps out film after film from the same franchise. He is rewarded every 9 years with a film outside of the Potter world (Tarzan).

9 films from the same franchise.

The Yates thing is more of a joke. Vinny and I were championing Tarzan and Yates. WB pretty much keeps him in his factory and he pumps out film after film from the same franchise. He is rewarded every 9 years with a film outside of the Potter world (Tarzan).

9 films from the same franchise.
The man is delivering the money (just not as much as hoped with Tarzan) for them, so why mess with him?
I would be curious to see what a passion project of his was. I would think he would have built up enough goodwill at WB to get at least something off the ground, but not at Tarzan budget.

3N16MA

Banned
The man is delivering the money (just not as much as hoped with Tarzan) for them, so why mess with him?
I would be curious to see what a passion project of his was. I would think he would have built up enough goodwill at WB to get at least something off the ground, but not at Tarzan budget.

Tarzan wasn't a complete disaster which might have bought him some goodwill outside of Potter. He is no Nolan at WB who can do whatever he wants but they might let him squeeze something in between the 5 Fantastic Beast films.

When Lego Batman mops up critically and financially, and Justice League tops out around 750mil worldwide, Affleck will quietly disengage, Flash & Aquaman will shutter, and either Shazam or Green Lantern Corps will serve as a soft reboot to this entire experiment.

Wonder Woman will be relegated to a one & done regardless its reception.

The most obvious way forward for WB (big budget CGI features based on the Animated Universe) will once again go completely ignored as an option that separates them from Fox's X-Universe and Marvel's Cinematic Universe, and they will flounder some more.

They might consider their only real way forward to be pushing all in on Lego DC movies.

Henry Cavill will join the cast of Arrow in it's 9th season.
CGI movies would be a neat idea.

That look is from the "Guy You Alert the Flight Attendant About" Collection.

I'm also reminded of how super creepy bella/edward fanfiction is still getting filmed adaptations this year.

That is going to be a fun box office thread. Fifty Shades Darker vs. LEGO Batman in the same opening weekend.

Fifty Shades will have a big opening night, but not as big as the first film. And then it will disappear like a fart in the wind. This one doesn't have the advantage of Valentine's being in the weekend either.

LEGO DCEU is the future.

The DC movies we deserve.

And just looked at BoxOffice.com's long range forecast. They have Fifty Shades at a $41m opening and $81m total. If that winds up being an accurate forecast, they is one hell of a drop from the first.

They have LEGO Batman at $56m opening and $210m total, which would be a step down from LEGO movie. Of course, this doesn't have the fresh surprise factor going for it like before. I do wonder if LEGO Batman will play better internationally than the first film, and how the budgets compare.

That is going to be a fun box office thread. Fifty Shades Darker vs. LEGO Batman in the same opening weekend.

Fifty Shades will have a big opening night, but not as big as the first film. And then it will disappear like a fart in the wind. This one doesn't have the advantage of Valentine's being in the weekend either.

Let's not discount John Wick Chapter 2 just yet. It'll be interesting to see if all the goodwill it's gotten in the last 2 years translates to a boost in box office (assuming it doesn't suck).

Let's not discount John Wick Chapter 2 just yet. It'll be interesting to see if all the goodwill it's gotten in the last 2 years translates to a boost in box office (assuming it doesn't suck).
Fuck. Forgot that was the same weekend. For some reason thought it was the week before.

That will be a very interesting thread then. I expect a bad pun about Bdsm.

The DC movies we deserve.

And just looked at BoxOffice.com's long range forecast. They have Fifty Shades at a $41m opening and $81m total. If that winds up being an accurate forecast, they is one hell of a drop from the first.

They have LEGO Batman at $56m opening and $210m total, which would be a step down from LEGO movie. Of course, this doesn't have the fresh surprise factor going for it like before. I do wonder if LEGO Batman will play better internationally than the first film, and how the budgets compare.

I think it depends on which region. Batman seems to be popular here in Australia and it has been advertised a ton. It also gets about as good of a response from audiences as I've seen for a trailer. I feel like it's likely to beat most expectations.

Fifty shades I have no idea. The franchise seems to have lost its lustre somewhat and this movie is getting advertised far less. I'm expecting a drop but not sure by how much.

John wick will hopefully get a boost from the first but I'm not expecting a big one especially with a lot of competition for screens.

Bizazedo

It wasn't creepy at all, it actually made sense as you watched the movie. They should've went all in and

had Pratt die at the end and, after a year or two, have J-Law make the same horrible choice

The fact that the film went out of its way to show that the choice was a bad one makes all the anger toward it confusing.

Code:
17	Francis Lawrence	$3.207B		6	$535M
18	Carlos Saldanha		$3.176B		6	$529M

I had to Google these ones. People pulling in half a billy per movie and I've never even seen their names printed out before.

Next year Cameron-sama will bless us with his glorious return and knock off the pretender's lead on per film average.

It wasn't creepy at all, it actually made sense as you watched the movie. They should've went all in and

had Pratt die at the end and, after a year or two, have J-Law make the same horrible choice

The fact that the film went out of its way to show that the choice was a bad one makes all the anger toward it confusing.

I did watch the movie. The movie wants it both ways and ultimately
JLaw forgives him and says she can't live without him, making her complicit in his act. Not only that, the moment Fishburne's character dies her POV is basically erased from the movie and Pratt just gets magically forgiven without needing to change anything about himself in the rush to stop the ship exploding
. Creeptastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom