• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 01•13-15•17 - Figures says Bye Bye to all comers, Affleck has a (bad) dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I saw Hidden Figures over the weekend and it was pretty good. Its very conventionally filmed but everyone of the leads put in work and it was a really interesting story that I admit I was not familiar with at all. Really glad its doing so well with audiences.

Octavia Spencer dropping that line to Drew Barrymore's character after she basically gives the,"I'm not racist" bit got quite a bit of clapping in my theater.

I saw Hidden Figures over the weekend and it was pretty good. Its very conventionally filmed but everyone of the leads put in work and it was a really interesting story that I admit I was not familiar with at all. Really glad its doing so well with audiences.

Octavia Spencer dropping that line to Drew Barrymore's character after she basically gives the,"I'm not racist" bit got quite a bit of clapping in my theater.

Does Sheldon save it?

DeathyBoy

Banned

There's something amazing about you getting two white people mixed up while discussing that film.

It was Kirsten Dunst.

kswiston

Jim Parsons was an inspired casting choice. All he needs to do is be Sheldon and he comes of as a believable segregationist jerk.

Is Sheldon his only role now?

My daughter likes the animated movie Home (which is unfortunate since I have had to watch it multiple times) and he's basically alien Sheldon in that too.

he called her Drew Barrymore lmao

Im crying right now
KuGsj.gif

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Maybe I made that mistake on purpose!

I didn't

Still it was a really good movie.

kswiston

Wednesday means weekend forecasts.

Boxoffice.com
Split - $25.5M
XXX - $18M
The Founder - $3.5M

Deadline
Split- low to mid-20s
XXX - high teens to low 20s
The Founder - $2-3M

Both sites give odds to Split for #1 this weekend. Sorry Vin Diesel. Outside of Fast and Furious, you might be sub M. Night Shyamalan tier.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Wednesday means weekend forecasts.

Boxoffice.com
Split - $25.5M
XXX - $18M
The Founder - $3.5M

Deadline
Split- low to mid-20s
XXX - high teens to low 20s
The Founder - $2-3M

Both sites give odds to Split for #1 this weekend. Sorry Vin Diesel. Outside of Fast and Furious, you might be sub M. Night Shyamalan tier.
Isn't Split having great reviews? If it's Shayamalan's return to greatness that's probably why.

kswiston

I am curious to see where Logan lands among the X-Men films in terms of gross.

The buzz seems to be pretty strong. If the final film is as decent as the trailers suggest, I think it has a good shot at top 5 finish domestic (if not a #2 finish after Deadpool).

Prompto

Banned
I am curious to see where Logan lands among the X-Men films in terms of gross.

The buzz seems to be pretty strong. If the final film is as decent as the trailers suggest, I think it has a good shot at top 5 finish domestic (if not a #2 finish after Deadpool).
I would love for it to outgross Apocalypse at least.

We have a Transformers film this year!

Honestly I'm looking forward to that one. I know what to expect with the stupidity of this franchise but I love that Bay somehow pushes that threshold and throws King Arthur and Nazis into the mix now as well

Plus I gotta admit it was really novel seeing Bays trademark explosions with the sparks and all that being applied to a medieval setting.

Schlorgan

Honestly I'm looking forward to that one. I know what to expect with the stupidity of this franchise but I love that Bay somehow pushes that threshold and throws King Arthur and Nazis into the mix now as well

Plus I gotta admit it was really novel seeing Bays trademark explosions with the sparks and all that being applied to a medieval setting.

I'm curious because this one has different writers and I want to see if that makes a difference in the quality of the movie. It also comes out the weekend before my birthday.

We have a Transformers film this year!

I still can't believe in the realm of enthusiast press thumbsuckers shitting 5k word pieces every hour on the hour, nobody's gone in on 'em yet for changing the logo from the classic to a logo that is very obviously a barely-modified Star Wars free-font.

The logo to the Transformers movie about Nazis in Winston Churchill's house is using Star Jedi from 1001 Free Fonts dot com.

Not that rottenwatching is really worth the time/energy, but if ever a 2017 movie was truly tomatoproof, it's gonna be XXX.

Ya I saw it last night and it is both monumentally stupid and incredibly interesting in that it's probably got the most diverse cast in an action movie ever and has no problem giving you the stupid set pieces dopes like me like

I want another one

I still can't believe in the realm of enthusiast press thumbsuckers shitting 5k word pieces every hour on the hour, nobody's gone in on 'em yet for changing the logo from the classic to a logo that is very obviously a barely-modified Star Wars free-font.

The logo to the Transformers movie about Nazis in Winston Churchill's house is using Star Jedi from 1001 Free Fonts dot com.

Ya that logo is wack, they need to make up their mind cause Bay keeps changing it

gamz

Possible. But keep in mind how front loaded horror films are.

Right. It's double what The Visit did and that grossed 25M. Word of mouth is solid. It'll do at least 30M.

Edit:

Split is heading high today in early matinees with industry observers now thinking the psychological thriller from M. Night Shyamalan and Blumhouse/Universal could push into the mid-$30Ms.

kswiston

Variety has Split at $12-14M for Friday and the weekend could hit high 30's. Clearly people still remember M. Night's good films fondly.

High 30s with similar legs to the better horror films last year would put it in a position to break $100M domestic. $80-90M with weaker legs. THR had the budget at $10M.

M. Night is making his comeback with the low budget stuff.

High 30s with similar legs to the better horror films last year would put it in a position to break $100M domestic. $80-90M with weaker legs. THR had the budget at $10M.

M. Night is making his comeback with the low busget stuff

He probably works better with restrictions. Having restrictions and limitations forces you to be more creative.

kswiston

Also, look at Deadline calling 37.5M the mid-30s. I can see where those weekend multipliers come from :p

Edit: Phoniciple, I think this makes you mid-30s again.

gamz

He probably works better with restrictions. Having restrictions and limitations forces you to be more creative.

His comeback was The Visit in which he financed himself. So kudos. I'm sure this movie has a huge backend for him. He said lower budget is where he wants to be right now.

Blumhouse and him seem to make a very good combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom