• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•09-11•17 - Wonder Woman deflects competition, Cruise cries for his Mummy

Anth0ny

From twitter, only films since MCU

DCC_eqKVwAAULpT.jpg:large

best hold is DCCU

worst hold is DCCU

insanity

The 125 million price tag for The Mummy screams "We're going for the international market on the back of Tom Cruise."

Marvel should swoop in and steal the last Chris for the set and make him Richard Rider in a Nova film.

After seeing WW I was disappointed because Chris Pine would make a great Green Lantern. Nova's close enough, though.

After seeing WW I was disappointed because Chris Pine would make a great Green Lantern. Nova's close enough, though.

I get the sense he doesn't and didn't want to sign on for another long running blockbuster franchise. And he's doing interesting work outside of that space, like with Hell and High Water and A Wrinkle in Time.

I imagined they asked him at a point. There were stories about Scott Eastwood having the opportunity to play [CHARACTER] in Suicide Squad or test for the chance to play Steve Trevor and he chose the former.

Can someone very simply explain this whole exchange rates thing to me? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to all this economic market stuff.
The comparative values of two currencies are always changing. Last year today one British Pound was equal to $1.42 USD, but now it's worth $1.27, in good part due to the Brexit.

Using that as an example, let's say an American movie released in Britain last year and made £100m. When the money was converted back to US dollars by the studio, it made $142m. Now let's say a movie released today and made £100m again. Same tickets sold, same price per ticket in local currency. But now it converts back $127m, a $15m drop for the exact same business.

Throughout a chunk of the 2010s, the US dollar has gotten stronger against a lot of international currencies, so American films are pulling in less money than they would have under older, more favorable rates.

Basically, for exports of any kind, you always want your own currency to be weak, because the money coming in from other currencies exchanges much higher.

As for why the dollar got stronger: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-the-dollar-is-strong-2015-1

kswiston

Can someone very simply explain this whole exchange rates thing to me? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to all this economic market stuff.

Exchange rates between currencies fluctuate on a daily/hourly basis depending on a ton of economic factors. I don't think you need to understand why they fluctuate to understand how said fluctuations affect box office numbers though. Just know that (for example) a Euro might be worth $1.25 USD on average one year and $1.15 USD the next year, depending on these fluctuations.

Every country sells movie tickets in their local currencies. Ticket prices are usually fixed, with periodic price increases, same as anything else. If your theatre sells a ticket for 10 Euros, you can expect to pay that same amount with every visit for at least a year or two (maybe less in developing markets. No idea how those work), regardless of how much a Euro is worth in USD.

Worldwide box office for Hollywood films are reported in terms of US Dollars, since most of the studios (or at least their parent companies) are based out of the United States.

Because exchange rates are constantly changing, and because ticket prices in local currencies are more stagnant, how much money a foreign ticket brings in is more dependant on the current exchange rate than it is on ticket inflation within short timeframes of a few years.

For instance, using our 10 Euro ticket example, a person buying a 10 Euro ticket in France would be contributing $12.50 to a film's gross if the Euro was trading out $1.25 USD like it was in 2015. Since the Euro is now worth $1.12 USD, they are instead contributing $11.20. Even though the amount they paid for the ticket was the same in both instances, Hollywood would see a fluctuation of $1.30 to their film's gross.

Generally speaking, the USD is very strong right now vs foreign currencies. This means that it takes larger audiences to equal the same overseas grosses we were seeing in 2011-2014, because each foreign ticket sold is worth less in USD.

Litan

At this point, acting like the problems of Captain Marvel in the comics has any bearing on how good a character the MCU version will be is foolish.

Marvel's made the right moves to address the issues with the character.
A script by two good writers.
A pair of directors who specialize in character pieces.
Casting Brie Larson, one of the most talented actresses in her age group.

If that doesn't give the character what she's been missing, then there's no hope for her.

Litan

The comparative values of two currencies are always changing. Last year today one British Pound was equal to $1.42 USD, but now it's worth $1.27, in good part due to the Brexit.

Using that as an example, let's say an American a movie released in Britain last year made £100m. When the money was converted back to US dollars it made $142m. Now let's say a movie released today and made £100m again. Same tickets sold, same price per ticket in local currency. But now it converts back $127m, a $15m drop for the same business.

Throughout a chunk of the 2010s, the US dollar has gotten stronger against a lot of international currencies, so American films are pulling in less money than they would have under older, more favorable rates.

Basically, for exports you always want your own currency to be weak, because the money coming in from other currencies exchanges much higher.

As for why the dollar got stronger: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-the-dollar-is-strong-2015-1

Exchange rates between currencies fluctuate on a daily/hourly basis depending on a ton of economic factors. I don't think you need to understand why they fluctuate to understand how said fluctuations affect box office numbers though. Just know that (for example) a Euro might be worth $1.25 USD on average one year and $1.15 USD the next year, depending on these fluctuations.

Every country sells movie tickets in their local currencies. Ticket prices are usually fixed, with periodic price increases, same as anything else. If your theatre sells a ticket for 10 Euros, you can expect to pay that same amount with every visit for at least a year or two (maybe less in developing markets. No idea how those work), regardless of how much a Euro is worth in USD.

Worldwide box office for Hollywood films are reported in terms of US Dollars, since most of the studios (or at least their parent companies) are based out of the United States.

Because exchange rates are constantly changing, and because ticket prices in local currencies are more stagnant, how much money a foreign ticket brings in is more dependant on the current exchange rate than it is on ticket inflation within short timeframes of a few years.

For instance, using our 10 Euro ticket example, a person buying a 10 Euro ticket in France would be contributing $12.50 to a film's gross if the Euro was trading out $1.25 USD like it was in 2015. Since the Euro is now worth $1.12 USD, they are instead contributing $11.20. Even though the amount they paid for the ticket was the same in both instances, Hollywood would see a fluctuation of $1.30 to their film's gross.

Generally speaking, the USD is very strong right now vs foreign currencies. This means that it takes larger audiences to equal the same overseas grosses we were seeing in 2011-2014, because each foreign ticket sold is worth less in USD.
Ah, okay. Thanks.

Seen all this talk about rates affecting how much sequels will make compared to previous movies and K-Swiss doubting any superhero movie would break a billion this year and I wanted to really understand why.

I guess when the USD is strong it makes things a little less exciting at the Box Office.

Wasn't around for Avatar, Avengers, TFA, JW or any of those legendary BO runs.

DeathyBoy

Banned
At this point, acting like the problems of Captain Marvel in the comics has any bearing on how good a character the MCU version will be is foolish.

Marvel's made the right moves to address the issues with the character.
A script by two good writers.
A pair of directors who specialize in character pieces.
Casting Brie Larson, one of the most talented actresses in her age group.

If that doesn't give the character what she's been missing, then there's no hope for her.

Course there's hope. I just feel bad for the poor young girl who loves the film then digs into the comics.

That poor kid...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Course there's hope. I just feel bad for the poor young girl who loves the film then digs into the comics.

That poor kid...

okay, let's not overdo it with the Carol Danvers hate

like, she doesn't have any top tier all-time great comics you can point to, but there are plenty of completely serviceable comic runs with the character

DeathyBoy

Banned
okay, let's not overdo it with the Carol Danvers hate

like, she doesn't have any top tier all-time great comics you can point to, but there are plenty of completely serviceable comic runs with the character

I'm not hating. Just poking fun at how messed up the comics are. I actually like the Reed run a fair bit.

Beefy

So how bad is The Mummy really?

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back had pretty bad reviews as well but I still enjoyed it. Cruise movies are almost always decent imo.

It's boring as hell and all the acting sucks. The storyline is awful and the ending is even worse

Universal really shouldn't have made The Mummy a set-up film, maybe it would have been better received, is often the case though, they jumped the gun.

I hope DC/WB learns from this

Eh, they're a studio. Studios don't usually learn anything in the long-run, even if they do try to course correct things.

They had better hope The Invisible Man remake with Depp comes through, or this CU is fucked.

In all honesty, it really doesn't need to be a cinematic universe. Just remake the old monster movies and be done with it.

Marvel will make the movie version witty and funny, people will love her and think she's great. Marvel likes to make all their boring and shitty characters "fun"

They have an Oscar winner portraying her...they don't have to try too hard to make her a likable character in this universe.

Speaking of which, Cate Blanchett is gonna kill it in Thor.

Glad to see Pirates cross $600m, suppose that's not a success but not an all out failure. Suppose it may make another $50m or so yet

Hope for one more with
Davey motherfucking Jones

Still to see WW need to get on that.

Not

Banned
Carpou cited the 75-foot-tall sarcophagus unveiled at the intersection of Hollywood and Highland, and the movie's VR experience as potential buzz generators.

I saw that almost everyday for the past 2 months and thought it was for Pirates of the Caribbean or something

Sean C

Fantastic for WW.

So we talked a lot about the next female led cbm's with Batgirl and Sirens for DC, Captain Marvel for Marvel and that Sony is thinking about a Movie with 2 females out of the Spiderverse? (is that how it's called?)
But what about Fox? They arguably have the best marvel female heroes right? Will they make a standalone movie for one of them?
The X-Men, Wolverine aside, don't get much play as solo characters. Which makes sense, really, since they weren't built for that.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
They have an Oscar winner portraying her...they don't have to try too hard to make her a likable character in this universe.

Speaking of which, Cate Blanchett is gonna kill it in Thor.

plus they'll go full DBZ with her powerset

people are gonna eat it up

tumblr_ohmmypphl91u2vo2go2_250.gif

Fantastic for WW.

So we talked a lot about the next female led cbm's with Batgirl and Sirens for DC, Captain Marvel for Marvel and that Sony is thinking about a Movie with 2 females out of the Spiderverse? (is that how it's called?)
But what about Fox? They arguably have the best marvel female heroes right? Will they make a standalone movie for one of them?

i mean they just had 3 standalone mystique movies

SMG

That Mummy money should have been split between a few smaller scale horror focused entries, then a bigger action romp down the line.

Top Bottom