• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•09-11•17 - Wonder Woman deflects competition, Cruise cries for his Mummy

Only downside to those code charts, Kswiss, is they don't display fully on mobile. I see more columns in landscape compared to portrait, but still missing columns.

Effect

Nearly $3B in box office across 4 films and $4.5B in merchandise sales. I'm gonna say WB/DC are not regretting anything about Zack Snyder.

Not to mention they got an Oscar for Suicide Squad. The Harley Quinn brand alone after SS has been worth half the drama.

They were willing to also push Justice League's release back for him while he dealt with his family situation and extended a first look deal with him. That's not the actions of a studio that has soured on him.

wachie

Kswiss, you have Judge Dredd on that chart but not DREDD!?!?!

tumblr_mk32maIhdX1qaqy1io10_500.gif

I know its low gross comparative to the average on release year might drop it out of top 100, but cmon, man!
It's ok that he omitted a mediocre movie.

All I'm questioning is the inclusion of John Carter in that list. That just seems...wrong.
And The Long Ranger too?

Thankfully, Sky High made it, so the greatest superhero of all time, Kurt Russell (and mustache, but that came later), is paid his dues.

And of course, Brian Blessed in a movie also featuring some guy named Flash. pff, poser.

I too however, would argue Dredd is a superhero, or perhaps John Spartan should be. He's kind of a Demolition Man though, shredding those knitting competitions.

kswiston

It looks like deadline's crazy $60M was (almost) right. Sunday is going up by at least $2M based on hints from people with numbers.

This is a nearly unprecendented drop for the genre.

DeathyBoy

Banned
All I'm questioning is the inclusion of John Carter in that list. That just seems...wrong.
And The Long Ranger too?

Thankfully, Sky High made it, so the greatest superhero of all time, Kurt Russell (and mustache, but that came later), is paid his dues.

And of course, Brian Blessed in a movie also featuring some guy named Flash. pff, poser.

I too however, would argue Dredd is a superhero, or perhaps John Spartan should be. He's kind of a Demolition Man though, shredding those knitting competitions.

The recent film John Carter and film Tarzan are roided out motherfuckers fighting injustice with loads of shirtless scenes.

They're literature turned into superhero films.

GhaleonEB

Gitesh and others are saying that the revised estimate is $58.6M. So not quite a $2M bump.

Last weekend I thought it could do a <50% drop given the early signs of legs, but this weekend really was a bonkers hold. Kinda amazing that Deadline's prediction was about right in the end.

WW just set the bar for best superhero hold, didn't it?

kswiston

Last weekend I thought it could do a <50% drop given the early signs of legs, but this weekend really was a bonkers hold. Kinda amazing that Deadline's prediction was about right in the end.

WW just set the bar for best superhero hold, didn't it?

Spider-Man dropped 37.8%

Penguin

LakeEarth

Saw Wonder Woman today, so good. Someone please have Jenkins replace Snyder. She gets it.

And what ever happened to that secret letter/leak that claimed WW was supposed to be some unmitigated disaster?

Production troubles often leads to a terrible movie, but it isn't a foregone conclusion. X-Men First Class was also rumored to be a disaster, and you can kinda tell, but the end product was fairly well liked.

Saw Wonder Woman today, so good. Someone please have Jenkins replace Snyder. She gets it.

And what ever happened to that secret letter/leak that claimed WW was supposed to be some unmitigated disaster?
Geoff Johns is gonna takeover the DCEU going forward.
Production troubles often leads to a terrible movie, but it isn't a foregone conclusion. X-Men First Class was also rumored to be a disaster, and you can kinda tell, but the end product was fairly well liked.

There was no production troubles. Someone was making shit up. Patty talked about it in an interview. She didn't understand what the production trouble was.

Every time I catch a glimpse of it's domestic total I'm still amazed, that thing was pulling in crazy numbers day after day.
I still love checking the box office records on IMDB and Mojo. #1 like all the way down.

It was more cultural revelation than film. People can give JJ shit all they want but he stuck the landing on the most important film release in modern history.

A few months ago, I suggested an alternative to using adjusted box office numbers in order to gauge how popular a film was in the year of its release. This method compares a film's domestic box office take to the average box office take for all wide releases in that year.

If a film made $100M, and the average wide release made $50M that year, the film's multiplier would be 2.0x. Basically, the film was twice as popular as the average film that year. This method gets around changes in entertainment and movie distribution over time, since all films in a given year are operating under the same market pressures.

Because both Wonder Woman and GotG2 are topical, I thought that it would be interesting to look at the Top 100 superhero and pulp hero films since the release of Superman in 1978, based on the popularity of each film in the year of its theatrical release.

Notes:

The Top 100 Superhero and Pulp Hero films since 1978 in order of popularity at the time of their release (Average Annual Gross Multiplier)

Very interesting. Good work!

Top Bottom