• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE SummerSlam 2013 |OT| The Spontaneous Combustion of Bryan Danielson & Cena Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_mrrdjnLv3Y1sq4g1uo1_500.png

am i correct to assume a lot of wrestling fans got tr0ll3d at the end of this ppv??

general wrestling fans of wrestling fans 'in the know'?
because most everyone could see it coming from a mile away.

I know they were good matches, others were nothing big..poor Ziggler deserves better than this...I hope they go back to him and Del Rio for Night of Champions.
I respectfully disagree.

Good:

Rhodes/Sandow
Mixed tag
Christian/Del Rio

Great:

Cena/Bryan
Brock/Punk

Ok:

Women's match

Poor:

Wyatt/Kane

The WWE has been good since after Mania. There's been a few missteps like Ziggler, Fandango and the McMahons but overall it's been a good product.

On top of that we also have Divas.

It's a good time to be a wrestling fan. Even TNA's woes are starting to reverse after dumping Brooke Hogan, ditching the AJ angle, etc.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm actually alright with the storyline aspect to it. Kane should have lost, and he did. BUT: They should have had Bray's bros try to get into the ring and fail, and have Bray be dominant in the ring and win all by his lonesome. Instead... bleh. But then I was happy again when they were dragging Kane away.. but then that stupid stairs shot happened. Ugh.

But regardless, yes, I enjoy the storyline aspect of it.
Bray strikes me as someone who isn't that strong on his own but he makes up for it by being a master manipulator, Kane is a monster that he wants to bring into his cult, he doesn't need to be stronger than him to do that.

Some of you guys kill me. There are so many good ways for the story to go now. Will they? I don't know, but "we knew it" or not, this is still one of the most interesting things they've done with the title in awhile. It's certainly better than it being on Cena. If Bryan wasn't already the most popular face in the WWE, he certainly is now. And they ensured that Orton, who is one of those people who manages to get over with the crowds as a pseudo-face for whatever reason, is going to be one of the most hated people to the WWE universe.

I agree that "management" just needs to be bad, no face Vince or anything like that.

Getting over HHH at Mania?

So, HHH vs. Daniel Bryan for control of WWE?

It's a great ending, and I have to agree that it was done because WWE wants to back Bryan for the long haul. What better way than to screw him with the two best heels in the business. And what better way to get behind a guy than to hope he avenge his loss.

It brings out a completely different side of Bryan too, and makes him far more interesting. Frankly, I just didn't like his babyface antics with Cena/Barrett, but he's so great when he gets ruthless.

Plus, since Cen'as out a few months, who the hell was Bryan gonna feud with if this didn't happen? I literally can't think of a heel that would be interesting for him to feud with. At least not with the title on the line.

Nebula

See, now that's where I disagree. Bray Wyatt wants Kane to join him. Why would he want a guy who he could beat easily to join him? Wyatt isn't afraid of Kane, but he can't beat him one on one, so what does he do? He manipulates Kane into joining him. That's his character. It works. Wyatt is the new Jackal from 1997.

#FollowTheBuzzards

D-Bry isn't getting it back anytime soon. This was a burial, full-stop. I know people are gonna act like this was the 'smart' thing to do and helped continue the feud but all of that is a guise. It's true, all of that is true, but underneath it all...the CORE was HHH/Vince wanting to bury Daniel Bryan. This was their way of doing it while not causing a riot- to make the smarks think that this was the "right move" for the storyline.

See, now that's where I disagree. Bray Wyatt wants Kane to join him. Why would he want a guy who he could beat easily to join him? Wyatt isn't afraid of Kane, but he can't beat him one on one, so what does he do? He manipulates Kane into joining him. That's his character. It works. Wyatt is the new Jackal from 1997.

Hmm.. perhaps I would have been more satisfied with the results if the answer wouldn't have just been: put flame-retardant cloth over the flames and climb in. It didn't feel.... right.

I don't even like Bray nearly as much as most of WrassleGaf does. His promos don't do much for me. I'm not sold on him yet, as most appear to be. ~shrug~

remnant

Banned
D-Bry isn't getting it back anytime soon. This was a burial, full-stop. I know people are gonna act like this was the 'smart' thing to do and helped continue the feud but all of that is a guise. It's true, all of that is true, but underneath it all...the CORE was HHH/Vince wanting to bury Daniel Bryan. This was their way of doing it while not causing a riot- to make the smarks think that this was the "right move" for the storyline.

Cena is taking time off post SS. Daniel bryan is the #1 babyface in the company right now.

That's a hell of a burial. :lol

UberTag

God, I totally forgot that Bryan almost died with that head spot from Cena.
Imagine the storylines from that angle.
Cena paralyzes super-over D.Brine at the height of his career.
His girlfriend's twin sister puts the blame squarely on his shoulders.
Riddled with guilt, Cena finally snaps and starts taking out opponents, friends, refs and Make-A-Wish kids alike.

remnant

Banned
i guess if you dont see the swerve comin...but trollin is trollin...everyone knows a few, do they still surprise you?

Define "surprise"?

In wrestling, it's often execution that matters more than results. It was obvious Orton would feud with Bryan, but how they did is what made it great imo.

strobogo

Banned
I'd really like to see Punk join up with D-Bryne to take on Evolution. It's the ultimate fufilment of indies vs the machine, but with the two guys who are actually over enough to take that feud to the next level.

Also, Soul, you can't defend the Inferno match. Inferno matches by their nature suck and are ALL storyline based. That match should have been a normal singles match. It would have been better and they could have had the same finish and post match stuff. Inferno match for the first match in a feud is all backwards.

Bray strikes me as someone who isn't that strong on his own but he makes up for it by being a master manipulator, Kane is a monster that he wants to bring into his cult, he doesn't need to be stronger than him to do that.

Yeah, perhaps you and SoulPlaya are correct on that one.

Doesn't change the fact that I still did not find the match entertaining haha

It was the method of the family getting into the ring that disappointed me most. They should have burst through the ring from underneath or something :lol

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Yeah, perhaps you and SoulPlaya are correct on that one.

Doesn't change the fact that I still did not find the match entertaining haha

It was the method of the family getting into the ring that disappointed me most. They should have burst through the ring from underneath or something :lol
Wrestling fans always complain about wrestling logic, and when someone actually uses real logic to put out a fire, people are angry.

I get it, though. It did defeat the purpose of the match, but whatever. When dealing with fire, you have to be careful.

tm24

WWE isn't smart enough to create stars, but seemingly create intricate storylines to bury them? I dont even

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I'd really like to see Punk join up with D-Bryne to take on Evolution. It's the ultimate fufilment of indies vs the machine, but with the two guys who are actually over enough to take that feud to the next level.

Also, Soul, you can't defend the Inferno match. Inferno matches by their nature suck and are ALL storyline based. That match should have been a normal singles match. It would have been better and they could have had the same finish and post match stuff. Inferno match for the first match in a feud is all backwards.
All WWE matches should be storyline based. A normal singles match, inferno match, ladder match, I don't care. This match was designed to move the storyline, and it did in a very intriguing way. On a card packed with great wrestling matches, this one didn't need to be.

Wrestling fans always complain about wrestling logic, and when someone actually uses real logic to put out a fire, people are angry.

I get it, though. It did defeat the purpose of the match, but whatever. When dealing with fire, you have to be careful.

REAL LOGIC HAS NO PLACE IN THE WWE, DAMMIT! ;)

Ithil

That's why Bryan beat John Cena clean for the title. Because he's being buried.

remnant

Banned
And then lost?

In a cheap finish that will get bryan heat. Orton/bryan are going to get nuclear heat tomorrow.

Punk, on the other hand was beaten down pretty convincingly. He is still over, but I doubt he will get a better reaction than Bryan tomorrow.

Of course he's a heel. He's a heel trying to pose as a face, that's why he cuts those dumb promos.
He tried to cut a promo that belittled latino's. It failed.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

I really was hoping for a Daniel Bryan vs. Orton match with Daniel reversing an RKO into a submission and making him tap.

In the end, it makes sense for him to get screwed in these instances like he has before. It'll make the moment he gets it that much more enjoyable. Similar to when Dolph cashed in and I shit myself because I completely forgot he had the suitcase that night since I was still recovering from being at WM29.

I think Cena will go after HHH and Bryan will obviously go after Orton. Dolph will hopefully have a shot at the heavyweight title next month. Not sure what's gonna happen with the Punk Heyman feud, but I think it'll last a long time and I'm going to love every second of it.

Speaking of Punk, that match was absolutely amazing except for the shot the camera caught the ref giving Punk a blade (which I think the ref was told to tell Punk to abort since it was given away). Great story telling though. Loved Punk going with the Wolverine colors.

Overall, great show that caught me off guard a few times. Didn't see HHH screwing Bryan over since he was feuding with Vince.

All I wanted to see was Daniel Bryan with the title for one Raw. Oh well lol

Also, how the hell is this a burial? Orton hasn't had a good story line in how long? Him stealing away a moment for Daniel and all of us is a huge heel move and will get him so much heat.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

BTW, the first inferno match between Kane and Taker is arguably the best big man v big man match in WWE history (big man being 300+ pounds). The only one that's possibly better is Kane/Taker at WM 14.

Most of the over heels from last year are now becoming potentially huge babyfaces. You got Punk, Bryan, Ziggler, Rhodes, all standing tall (probably not Bryan right now lol.)

I think I would have preferred the ending to be this:

Bryan wins clean. (check)

Orton comes out... but initially turns back as if he won't cash it in. (check)

Bryan calls him back into the ring to stomp his goofy ass. (check)

NO TRIPLE HHH INTERFERENCE (dammit)

Bryan beats the HELL out of Orton for about 10 minutes and ends up with the victory. Maybe with the same running knee/kick thing that he took out Cena with.

Oh that would have been glorious. Oh well. I'm still happy with this ending.

Edit: Can you just imagine if Bryan had taken out Cena and Orton in consecutive matches? And cleanly? Hell, let's throw Punk in there for some reason as well, and have him take out EVERY major WWE star. YES! YES! YES!

strobogo

Banned
All WWE matches should be storyline based. A normal singles match, inferno match, ladder match, I don't care. This match was designed to move the storyline, and it did in a very intriguing way. On a card packed with great wrestling matches, this one didn't need to be.

Yes, but a storyline advancing match shouldn't be an excuse to a a throw away nothing match, especially on PPV. You have those kind of matches on TV. It should have been a straight match, which would make more sense from a story stand point and allow them to do a lot more than the ultra constricting fire gimmick that really should be at the apex of a feud, not beginning. Unless we're going to get increasingly crazy gimmick matches between them, which we won't.

It's okay to say Kane had a poor match. He really had no choice with that type of match. I don't blame him or Wyatt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom