• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I want everything.

Downloadable game
AAA game
1080/60 fps ports of all of the previous games (including Nuts & Bolts and Grunty's Revenge)
Banjo Kart

#BKE32013 #choochoo

Heh... at this point I'd be incredibly happy if they made a downloadable game. There are far too few 3D platformers these days.
You want a downloadable game on top of a retail game? Why? I mean, more Banjo is always great, but I'd definitely prefer them concentrate on one (retail) game and then hopefully do a sequel later on.

I wonder if an episode-based Banjo game could work.

World design similar to the first Banjo game (kind of open, but still linear)
Five episodes in total
Each episode has two levels with 10 jiggies each
Each episode ends with some kind of bossfight and a note door (cue cheeky remarks from Kazooie about having to come back when the next episode is released)
Disc release after the release of the fifth episode

There are devs at Press Play that want to do it. They don't have the capacity for large scale productions though.
Why would it not work? However, you would lose the freedom Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie offered and I don't see any advantages in this approach. Also, I think an episodic Banjo game would be a lot more difficult to balance properly (at least if it is developed episode by episode) and as a publisher you risk losing players from one episode to the next who will not be able to join back in at a later episode easily, whereas, if you sell the complete game on disc, everyone gets to pay for the whole game.

Ade

You want a downloadable game on top of a retail game? Why? I mean, more Banjo is always great, but I'd definitely prefer them concentrate on one (retail) game and then hopefully do a sequel later on.

Why are people still making a distinction between downloadable and retail games? I thought that was a thing that didn't exist anymore?

Yoshi

Why are people still making a distinction between downloadable and retail games? I thought that was a thing that didn't exist anymore?

This distinction exists in one direction. (Almost) all retail games are available as DL-games, too, but many, many games are only available for download. The last category is what I call a DL-game. And I don't want a new Banjo (or any game that I want to play) to fall in that category.

Leflus

I want everything.. :p A digital game in addition to a retail game would be icing in the cake. More Banjo is not a bad thing.

...but I'd gladly accept a downloadable game if a disc based game is out of the question.

Why would it not work? However, you would lose the freedom Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie offered and I don't see any advantages in this approach.
I get your point about Tooie, but Kazooie was fairly linear. An episode based game could still have a hub world similar to Gruntilda's Lair.

Yoshi

I want everything.. :p A digital game in addition to a retail game would be icing in the cake. More Banjo is not a bad thing.

...but I'd gladly accept a downloadable game if a disc based game is out of the question.

I get your point about Tooie, but Kazooie was fairly linear. An episode based game could still have a hub world similar to Gruntilda's Lair.

In B-K, too, you could break the order in which you played the levels and could even leave some out before defeating Grunty.

Leflus

In B-K, too, you could break the order in which you played the levels and could even leave some out before defeating Grunty.
Are you talking about glitching your way through the game? You need to collect all the jiggies and the notes if you want to reach the final bossfight.

Edit: Almost all the jiggies. I forgot about the red honeycombs.

Edit nr. 2: You need 810 notes to reach Gruntilda, meaning that you would have to visit all of the 9 levels

There's nothing stopping them from doing something similar to Banjo-Kazooie with an episode based approach. You would still need need a set number of notes/jiggies to progress to the next area in the hub world, and they could theoretically let you skip a level if you 100% the first 3-4 levels.

Yoshi

Yeah, my memory of my only playthrogh where I didn't collect everything on order anyway was fuzzy, to really complete the game you need to play every level at least a bit. To resuce Tooty only, you can leave a lot of tasks undone, though, so you'd still lose a lot of freedom in regards of order of the tasks you solve.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
While we're on the subject, a quick port of the Xbox 360 remasters of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie would be fantastic, too.

I sold my 360 to pay for my Xbone and these are the games I miss the most.

Leflus

Yeah, my memory of my only playthrogh where I didn't collect everything on order anyway was fuzzy, to really complete the game you need to play every level at least a bit. To resuce Tooty only, you can leave a lot of tasks undone, though, so you'd still lose a lot of freedom in regards of order of the tasks you solve.
I see your point.

They could potentially solve that by placing the entrance to the new game's puzzle fight equivalent in the third episode's area.

...but eh. I'm just talking about hypotheticals here. Like you, I'd much rather have a AAA disc-based Banjo.

Yoshi

I see your point.

They could potentially solve that by placing the entrance to the new game's puzzle fight equivalent in the third episode's area.

...but eh. I'm just talking about hypotheticals here. Like you, I'd much rather have a AAA disc-based Banjo.

I'd actually rather have it not AAA, but still retail. Banjo does not win by having extremely high production values. I'd be completely fine with it just look "good enough" and at stable 60 frames per second. Use the Nuts & Bolts engine for instance, and assets on that level. If they don't fork out an insane amount of money (like developers often do with PS4/XB1 games) it's actually much easier to make a decent profit off it.

You guys have to remember that Nicalis is sort of a different publisher/developer. They like to do things that other publishers normally wouldn't. For instance, 1001 Spikes is still US only on Xbox One and it's been out for almost 5 months or so now.

It wouldn't shock me in the slightest if they released BoIR on Xbox One without announcing it.

Additionally, for all you OddWorld fans, here is a status update on the XB1 version of New N' Tasty. They say it is in early stages of dev, but since it's similar to PS4 it shouldn't be too long.
http://www.oddworld.com/2014/10/update-new-n-tasty/

Chitown B

I went for a 1tb because I was like "It would take me years to fill this thing" but now I have 58 digital games and that's not including the EA access games and GWG games so I'm close to filling it. I'm on a hunt for a 3tb drive now.

58? holy crap. Let's say they were an average of $30 between some $60 and some $10 games. That's $1740. lol.

jond76

Banned
I just spent about 30 minutes playing Voice Commander and it's pretty fun! Voice controls work great. Definitely cool for free.

Alright quick question guys, I recently went to buy the digital version of Forza Horizon 2 on my ONE and saw I was going to be charged tax so I said fuck that. I've never been charged tax on my 360, why the ONE? I'm curious if using a gift card, since I've never been charged tax in store on those, would also be taxed with a digital purchase? If so I'm not buying digital on ONE as the only reason I do it is to save $5.

It pisses me off though because I've downloaded tons of stuff on my PS4 and never been charged tax. In fact, usually the regular price is even lowered a few bucks due to me being a PS+ member. It's just little things like this that make me want to give my business to Sony rather than M$. Any explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I know everyone says it depends on the state but why just MS then? Sony and Apple don't charge me tax on digital purchases when I use the PS Store or iTunes.

sangreal

Alright quick question guys, I recently went to buy the digital version of Forza Horizon 2 on my ONE and saw I was going to be charged tax so I said fuck that. I've never been charged tax on my 360, why the ONE? I'm curious if using a gift card, since I've never been charged tax in store on those, would also be taxed with a digital purchase? If so I'm not buying digital on ONE as the only reason I do it is to save $5.

It pisses me off though because I've downloaded tons of stuff on my PS4 and never been charged tax. In fact, usually the regular price is even lowered a few bucks due to me being a PS+ member. It's just little things like this that make me want to give my business to Sony rather than M$. Any explanations would be greatly appreciated.

MS has always collected sales tax on digital purchases. I think if you use a gift card you are not charged, as you would have paid tax when buying the gift card. No clue if it works that way though

You can always set your location to sales-tax free state if you're using gift cards though

Also, I know everyone says it depends on the state but why just MS then? Sony and Apple don't charge me tax on digital purchases when I use the PS Store or iTunes.

Apple collects tax too. Sony does not

The answer to your question though is that it is based on whether the company (or their affiliates) has a physical presence in your state

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but since it's related to downloading games on the console I hope it is.

Every other time I turn on my Xbox it's not connected to the Internet, I get the error message that there's no connection to my DHCP a server, and the only way I know how to fix it is to unplug and reconnected the wired ethernet cable in the Xbox for just a second and everything springs back to
life.

It's becoming a really big annoyance since I can't rely on the Xbox downloading and installing a game while I'm at work because there's a high chance it has lost the connection and there won't be made any progress when I turn it on in the evening.

So is there some magical fix for this either on the Xbox itself or in my router?

My setup is: ISP router in the office, that connects to Ethernet to my actual router, which is wired to a switch in the living room which connects my consoles.

eastx

Sony taxes my digital purchases if I have my address set to Texas where I live. If I change it to a non-taxed state they do not. It's definitely not just a Microsoft thing.

Purdy

Can anyone on UK or US store see Dead Rising 3 Apocalypse edition? Really want it all in one with the DLC but can't find it at all :S

MS has always collected sales tax on digital purchases. I think if you use a gift card you are not charged, as you would have paid tax when buying the gift card. No clue if it works that way though

You can always set your location to sales-tax free state if you're using gift cards though

Apple collects tax too. Sony does not

The answer to your question though is that it is based on whether the company (or their affiliates) has a physical presence in your state

Again, I've never had to pay tax for digital on 360, never.

I've never had to pay tax on the gift cards(what used to be point cards), never.

iTunes has never charged me tax as far as I'm aware. I just rented a movie on there the other day for $3.99 and my iTunes receipt says Order total: $3.99

For all these reasons, this is why I need to know why MS does charge tax in the ONE store?

Just double checked some old e-mail receipts and yep, for every single digital game I've bought on 360 it says Tax: $0.00. Same with PS3, PS4 and iTunes. Yet I'm being charged tax on the One. It just makes no sense to me.

Fox Mulder

I've never had to pay tax on the gift cards(what used to be point cards), never.

iTunes has never charged me tax as far as I'm aware. I just rented a movie on there the other day for $3.99 and my iTunes receipt says Order total: $3.99

For all these reasons, this is why I need to know why MS does charge tax in the ONE store?

Just double checked some old e-mail receipts and yep, for every single digital game I've bought on 360 it says Tax: $0.00. Same with PS3, PS4 and iTunes. Yet I'm being charged tax on the One. It just makes no sense to me.

Sales tax on digital purchases varies by state, MS wouldn't just suddenly take tax because they felt like it. Maybe something in your state changed.

sangreal

So again, this all depends on location and that is why I clarified the specific rule that determines if a company charges you tax or not based on your location (it will vary on company)

Apple absolutely charges me tax, for example (see below), and as mentioned I've always had to pay tax to MS

Walking Dead: The Game, v1.2 (17+)
Write a Review Report a Problem TELLTALE GAMES App $4.99
Walking Dead: The Game, Multi-Pack [Episodes 2 -5]
Report a Problem TELLTALE GAMES In-App Purchase $14.99

Subtotal: $19.98
Tax: $1.40

Order Total: $21.38

Sales tax on digital purchases varies by state, MS wouldn't just suddenly take tax because they felt like it. Maybe something in your state changed.

This makes sense except for the fact that everything is still tax free except for the ONE. Why would my state say all digital purchases are tax free except for games on the ONE. Unless they only tax items that are over a certain amount. I don't usually spend more than $20 at a time on games and/or movies. Or maybe they only tax new release/full price games? I don't know.

Yeah, and have bought all my games digitally. Just pre loaded Sunset Overdrive this week. No tax charged.

Interesting. I just checked on FH 2 again and it's still charging me tax but it's only like $1.90 as opposed to the almost $5 I'd have to pay for a physical copy so I'd still save a couple of bucks but it'd be nice not to have to pay any, just like with every other service I use. It's just jarring to only have this issue on one platform and of course it's a M$ one.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but since it's related to downloading games on the console I hope it is.

Every other time I turn on my Xbox it's not connected to the Internet, I get the error message that there's no connection to my DHCP a server, and the only way I know how to fix it is to unplug and reconnected the wired ethernet cable in the Xbox for just a second and everything springs back to
life.

It's becoming a really big annoyance since I can't rely on the Xbox downloading and installing a game while I'm at work because there's a high chance it has lost the connection and there won't be made any progress when I turn it on in the evening.

So is there some magical fix for this either on the Xbox itself or in my router?

My setup is: ISP router in the office, that connects to Ethernet to my actual router, which is wired to a switch in the living room which connects my consoles.

Have you ever tried WiFi connection? Do you still get the same issues? If not, I would check out the cables themselves first. Potentially one of them is faulty, or could have interference along the way since it sounds like it's a pretty big setup.

I would also ensure that each of those pieces of equipment have up to date firmware on them.

Finally, whichever router is set up as the DHCP server, I would verify that it's configured properly, and the other router has DHCP disabled since it would all go to the other router with DHCP. The switch shouldn't be an issue.

Networking is weird though. The other thing I would try, which would be very time consuming, is go one by one of plugging the Xbox only into a certain device, and see which one of them causes it to fail, and you found the most likely culprit. Plug it directly into the modem first, make sure that works, then plug it into router #1, then router #2, then finally the switch. It sounds like it may take a few days to actually test this out, but that would give you a good chance at finding the specific point of failure.

Okay, just so I don't come off like I'm bashing MS, I just put Alien Isolation in my PS4 cart and my ONE cart and the total comes to 59.99 on PS4 and $59.99 + $1.47 tax on the ONE so why would I ever order the ONE version of something unless it's an exclusive like FH2 or SO. I'm just making a point that it's weird and if it's only a state mandated thing and I were MS, I'd be pissed as they'll be losing sales from me, even if it's over a measly $1.47. Money's money and I want to save as much of it as I can.

TURBO1112

Interesting. I just checked on FH 2 again and it's still charging me tax but it's only like $1.90 as opposed to the almost $5 I'd have to pay for a physical copy so I'd still save a couple of bucks but it'd be nice not to have to pay any, just like with every other service I use. It's just jarring to only have this issue on one platform and of course it's a M$ one.

It could be because Im using credit. I usually buy my credit off Amazon or the buy/sell trade thread here.

eastx

Okay, just so I don't come off like I'm bashing MS, I just put Alien Isolation in my PS4 cart and my ONE cart and the total comes to 59.99 on PS4 and $59.99 + $1.47 tax on the ONE so why would I ever order the ONE version of something unless it's an exclusive like FH2 or SO. I'm just making a point that it's weird and if it's only a state mandated thing and I were MS, I'd be pissed as they'll be losing sales from me, even if it's over a measly $1.47. Money's money and I want to save as much of it as I can.

Okay, give it a rest already.

Is there a reason why preload games won't download when my system is in standby mode? It didn't do it for Halo and now it's doing the same thing for Assassins Creed. All other stuff downloads when I'm in standby mode so I'm confused if this is just the way it is or that Im doing something wrong.

Thought this might be the best place to ask this question.

Okay, give it a rest already.

Really? You felt you needed to respond that badly and that's all you have to say on the subject. It's a legitimate curiosity and negative against the ONE for buying digital in a state that doesn't have any other digital tax. You sound like someone who doesn't have a choice in the matter or doesn't care. I do and can post all day long on the subject if I'm so inclined. I thought someone may be able to clarify the situation to me, but no I get people like you, ugh!

Is there a reason why preload games won't download when my system is in standby mode?

There was a weird issue with Halo, but all of my pre-order games have downloaded fine in standby. I didn't try AC, though.

It's a legitimate curiosity and negative against the ONE for buying digital in a state that doesn't have any other digital tax.

What state are we talking about? I'm in North Carolina, which is a state that does not have tax on digital goods, and MS never charges me tax on the XB1.

I havent had to pay taxes on digital purchases.

You only have to collect sales tax on online purchases if you have a physical presence in the state in which the digital goods are sold.

Microsoft has offices in Boulder, CO, for instance, and has to collect sales tax in Colorado.

There was a weird issue with Halo, but all of my pre-order games have downloaded fine in standby. I didn't try AC, though.

What state are we talking about? I'm in North Carolina, which is a state that does not have tax on digital goods, and MS never charges me tax on the XB1.

I live in Florida and do not get charged digital tax on anything but my ONE purchases and even then it's only about $1.50 for full price $60 games. It just doesn't make sense to me why iTunes, PS3, PS4, and 360 don't while the ONE does. Although it is Florida, where weird things go to happen.

Top Bottom