• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is there a reason Viking (GWG) has an average oh 2.5 stars on my country store where even the crappiest crap manage to score 3.5? Game on pc was pretty ace, are there game breaking bugs or missing content?

OK cool. Do they just email you a code? or do they send you a card in the mail with the code on it? Really interested now.

Instant delivery came straight away by email yes.

I'll get a screenshot one second.

EDIT: Sorry about the size of the screens, posted from my phone.

Screenshot_2014_11_10_18_34_58.jpg

Screenshot_2014_11_10_18_44_02.jpg

Is there a reason Viking (GWG) has an average oh 2.5 stars on my country store where even the crappiest crap manage to score 3.5? Game on pc was pretty ace, are there game breaking bugs or missing content?

No...probably just people upset that the game is harder. I would wager since it is free that many people downloaded it not sure what to expect and got mad after 20 minutes and deleted it/rated it poorly.

No...probably just people upset that the game is harder. I would wager since it is free that many people downloaded it not sure what to expect and got mad after 20 minutes and deleted it/rated it poorly.

This is the precise sequence of events that I experienced (though I didn't rate it poorly -- just gave up after not being able to beat the first level).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

I'm curious how is faring on the US and UK stores as far as ratings are concerned.
It'd suck if being a GWG ended up hurting the game's potential ltd sales :(

Montresor

Did anyone notice that TrueAchievements was implemented on an OS level on XB1?

Never mind that the TA app is pretty bad ass. You can see your friend feed, you can look up your games, read articles, filter achievements, look at solutions, and even look at videos in solutions (and you can do this all snapped).

But what's insane is that every achievement on the achievements app (not the TA app, I'm talking the XB1's main achievements app) has a "Search TrueAchievements" button. So you can highlight an achievement you don't have, click that button, and it will load the TA app and the most popular solution.

I was playing Sunset Overdrive with the achievements app snapped. On the snapped tab, I clicked an achievement, and clicked Search TrueAchievements. It then seamlessly loaded the TA app in the same snapped tab, loading the solution right away. And even while snapped, I was able to watch the youtube video associated with that solution.

Even the Netflix and Youtube apps have choppy playback when snapped (when will they fix this?). But on the TA app, the video played without issue.

Alx

Well that's a logical behavior actually. I'm sure the game is great, but if most people can't get past the first checkpoint, they'll deem the game unplayable. "Crowd rating" won't work for games that are aimed at a small minority.
I'd add that I think the difficulty balance in that game is a design flaw. Even the hardest arcade games of the past knew to ramp the difficulty up so that any player can at least have a few dozens seconds of fun before hitting a wall, because you have to make them want spend quarters and come back again, not frustrate them from the beginning. With the death of arcades such simple design rules are sadly ignored nowadays, and game designers only remember the "games were hard back then" aspect.

eastx

Well that's a logical behavior actually. I'm sure the game is great, but if most people can't get past the first checkpoint, they'll deem the game unplayable. "Crowd rating" won't work for games that are aimed at a small minority.
I'd add that I think the difficulty balance in that game is a design flaw. Even the hardest arcade games of the past knew to ramp the difficulty up so that any player can at least have a few dozens seconds of fun before hitting a wall, because you have to make them want spend quarters and come back again, not frustrate them from the beginning. With the death of arcades such simple design rules are sadly ignored nowadays, and game designers only remember the "games were hard back then" aspect.

Nicely said. Not that I've played the game very much - just five minutes or so probably. But a gradual difficulty curve in general is way better than starting out kicking the player in the balls.

Nicely said. Not that I've played the game very much - just five minutes or so probably. But a gradual difficulty curve in general is way better than starting out kicking the player in the balls.

Totally agree. If I were able to finish the first level (granted with some difficulty), there's definitely a chance I'd try to keep playing. But since I wasn't able to, I think I'm done with the game.

About time! Thanks.

I think it's OK that Volgarr is designed this way for a specific niche, but in retrospect, maybe that makes it a bad choice by MS for GwG.

I'm still glad I got it, though, because I've enjoyed trying it but would have regretted buying it.

Lots of stuff on sale this week for deals with gold.

Kickbeat is on sale for $6.99 (normally 9.99)
Stick it to the Man is $6.99 (normally 9.99)
Castlestorm is $10.49 (normally 14.99)
Divekick is $6.99 (normally 9.99)

Is Kickbeat any good? I think it looks interesting but not sure if it will enjoyable after an hour.

Here's my review: http://www.windowscentral.com/kickbeat-special-edition-review

It's a game with obvious room for improvement and some unintuitive design choices, but still kinda wacky and fun once you learn the mechanics.

Here is mine also: http://www.xboxgamer.me/kickbeat-special-edition-xbox-one-review/

I share many of the same views as East, and unfortunately, one of the game's modes is pretty much unplayable due to a locked difficulty that is way too challenging.

Lots of black Friday ads have been popping up this week (Target, Walmart, Best Buy), some really great deals on games.

For those that have gone 100% digital (like myself), I really hope there's an equally impressive sale on Xbox Live. I think there's usually been some kind of sale for 360 games.

eastx

I'm thinking of digitally preordering GTA V. I would be really annoyed if the digital version became part of Microsoft's Black Friday sale. Anybody think that will happen, or will they be mostly older games?

I'm thinking of digitally preordering GTA V. I would be really annoyed if the digital version became part of Microsoft's Black Friday sale. Anybody think that will happen, or will they be mostly older games?

GTAV is going to sell shit loads, I highly doubt it will be in any black friday sales as its out the week before

Ya it's pretty random, especially regarding ID@Xbox games. Pure Pool is out tomorrow, for instance.

Or do you mean when sales go live? That is on Tuesdays

So basically:

Retail games: Every Tuesday (in the US), lots of releases are Friday in UK
ID@Xbox Games: Mostly Wednesday, but have seen plenty on Thursday and Friday also
DLC: Tuesdays usually
Deals with Gold weekly sales: Every Tuesday

Ya it's pretty random, especially regarding ID@Xbox games. Pure Pool is out tomorrow, for instance.

Or do you mean when sales go live? That is on Tuesdays

So basically:

Retail games: Every Tuesday (in the US), lots of releases are Friday in UK
ID@Xbox Games: Mostly Wednesday, but have seen plenty on Thursday and Friday also
DLC: Tuesdays usually
Deals with Gold weekly sales: Every Tuesday

thanks

Top Bottom