• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

dLMN8R

Errrrrrr, not necessarily. I have 2.4/5GHz but my router only goes up to N.

Another thing you have to consider is that 2.4GHz has better range than 5GHz. But if your Xbox is close to the router than yea always use the 5GHz channel since it's less congested.

I do have an AC router, so this is all goodness for me :)

I bought an Xbox One S yesterday and told myself I'll wait until next year to get a 4K set.

I lied.

I ended up going on amazon and purchasing one, and not just anyone, but the OLED55B6P by LG. It will be at my door Saturday morning. I feel bad for just blowing all that cash, but I'll feel better once it's hanging on my wall and I'm watching the Revenant in UHD.

Lady Gaia

The simplest answer is it's the newest wireless standard. If you used 5GHz before, you have AC router.

Patently untrue. The 5Ghz band was used initially by 802.11a, which predates b, g, and n and has therefore been around long before ac came along. At that time it was fair to say 5GHz implied a particular spec. The first spec that that could be used on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz was 802.11n, the immediate predecessor to 802.11ac.

Tall Paul

Aghh...really must stop coming into this thread!!! UK 500GB & 1TB dates can't hurry up enough, just got a feeling they won't hit August. Got a 1TB WD drive hooked to current XB1 so going to 2TB seems a bit of a waste for me..but...I'm weak.

Tall Paul

I bought an Xbox One S yesterday and told myself I'll wait until next year to get a 4K set.

I lied.

I ended up going on amazon and purchasing one, and not just anyone, but the OLED55B6P by LG. It will be at my door Saturday morning. I feel bad for just blowing all that cash, but I'll feel better once it's hanging on my wall and I'm watching the Revenant in UHD.
love this kind of gadget logic, enjoy bud, will looks awesome!

gt86

Aghh...really must stop coming into this thread!!! UK 500GB & 1TB dates can't hurry up enough, just got a feeling they won't hit August. Got a 1TB WD drive hooked to current XB1 so going to 2TB seems a bit of a waste for me..but...I'm weak.

I was going to wait until the 500gb also but after reading these posts I got on gamestops website yesterday at 10am, did pick up in store for a 2tb. Luckily I got the E-mail saying it was ready for pick up.

Welp.

And to top it off, I used my chase freedom to get a $150.00 discount because of promotion.

Hahahahaha, made out like a bandit.

$249.00 shipped for dat bundle, and I will sell those games.

FH3 can't come soon enough.

What's the chase freedom promotion exactly?

i'm still not sure how HDR gaming is going to work with us that have newer 4k tvs, like the LG OLEDs and Samsung KS8xxx series. To get the lowest input lag on these, you need to enter game mode, so will the tv manufacturers have to do a software update to allow HDR in game mode?

Asking the important questions. Doesn't seem like anyone has got that far, though.

Haklong

I want to upgrade my current Xbox One to an S but I don't know if I should get this white one or wait for the Gears of War 4 version.

grizzelye

Asking the important questions. Doesn't seem like anyone has got that far, though.

Not sure anybody can answer as no HDR games have been released for X1.

ROTR for PC is HDR, maybe someone who has used their 4K TV as a monitor can confirm?

If your TV set lets you select game mode whilst HDR is enabled, during a UHD Blu Ray movie? That would confirm?

Yeah I think I'm with you, it's sitting in my cart right now. Comparing this to the Samsungs and Sonys, it looks like the winner.

Anything in particular set you on this one? The OLED maybe?

gamz

Yeah I think I'm with you, it's sitting in my cart right now. Comparing this to the Samsungs and Sonys, it looks like the winner.

Anything in particular set you on this one? The OLED maybe?

I saw it at a bestbuy and it blew my mind. It's like a modern day plasma.

so which current 4K TV's have the "Full UHD"? so that i know later which ones to get ( might as well go all the way when i do)

any amazon links?

i hope they make this less confusing later,heh

Heidern98

Generally speaking though, is that even enough space? Doesn't the hot air just remain in that area since for either system it's not venting outward?

So I never really thought about it too much, but since you were raising concerns about my potentially inadequate cooling, I talked to some of my friends about it. I got a recommendation for a USB fan that I'm going to pick up and try out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJ2J2K0/

I too have some questions about that. With my TV it appears to go to a new video mode once HDR is active (LG 2016 model). I hope MS can get some kind of HDR game content out for us before Forza Horizon 3.

icespide

Banned
can anyone confirm actually connecting to a 802.11 AC (not mixed with N) network?

the fat xbox one has a wireless AC chip too but AC is not enabled

gamz

Alright gamz. That did it. I have been pushed over the edge. Peer pressure!

Oh, LG OLED55B6P you shall be mine.

I'm a HUGE plasma fan and still own my beautiful Pioneer Elite Kuro and Panny. This was the only HDTV since those that blew me away. If you are a Plasma fan this is one sexy set. Go to your local BB and check it out.

I'm a HUGE plasma fan and still own my beautiful Pioneer Elite Kuro and Panny. This was the only HDTV since those that blew me away. If you are a Plasma fan this is one sexy set. Go to your local BB and check it out.

I felt the same way. I got a an LG EF series OLED earlier this year to replace my Panny plasma and I felt NO remorse. The picture is awesome.

mantis23

I noticed the same thing last night. Shows that are uhd on my TVs app isn't showing at all on the xbone. Maybe the app will update soon?

I couldn't get 4K video out of the apps for Amazon, VUDU, or Youtube. All of which support 4K through my built is apps on the TV.

Netflix seems to support 4K but I couldn't get HDR from any of the shows that support it (i.e. Marco Polo)

Hopefully all of these apps are updated in the future.

Moreche

I would love to see the surface design team try a phone. I can't wait to see what the Microsoft Band 3 is like.
I honestly think these guys are better than Apples design team.

ZOONAMI

I lied.

Watched the revenant last night on my 65" 4k panny. It looks amazing. Better than the theater experience.

ZOONAMI

I couldn't get 4K video out of the apps for Amazon, VUDU, or Youtube. All of which support 4K through my built is apps on the TV.

Netflix seems to support 4K but I couldn't get HDR from any of the shows that support it (i.e. Marco Polo)

Hopefully all of these apps are updated in the future.

Yeah Netflix is the only thing working for me.

For those that have the S, I'm curious (and maybe lazy to search to see if it's been answered?), is the OS any faster on the S? I'd consider dumping my original for an S this afternoon if so. It's really, really slow as it is now.

Thanks!

Hawk269

On my Sony 940d once it goes into HDR mode, you cannot change it. So when the HDR signal is sent to the set, it automatically engages HDR. What I have been able to do however, is "BEFORE" sending the HDR signal, I can manually engage HDR and certain settings I can turn off such as detail enhancer and some others that it is turned on when HDR is enabled. Some of those things it has turned on impacts input lag.

Once I turned those off and then let the system send the HDR signal, it, like normal engaged into HDR mode and the things I turned off stayed off. There were some that I could not change regardless.

For gaming, I would assume the same thing will happen, when the game is about too boot it sends the HDR signal to activate HDR mode.

I know Albert and perhaps others from MS are reading this...I really wish you guys would of had at least a HDR game ready for the launch of the system or at minimum an older game that was modified for HDR just for new owners to try out HDR gaming. I know FH3 is out in September, but it would of been nice to have at least one game to "check out HDR gaming" with.

Input lag is pretty rough on this model, so be careful if that's an annoyance for you.

Well my current set has an input lag of 100-102ms, so the 35.5ms from the LG should be a heck of an improvement.

Are there any OLED 4k sets that have great lag?

EDIT: Looks like the Samsungs get to 20.5ms or so.

Hmmmm.

Hawk269

So what is the concensus on the One S with a 4k tv without HDR? I'm getting the 500gb later this month and was curious.

Still looks great. UHD Blu Ray even without HDR looks great. But when you finally see what HDR does, there is no going back. So if you have a standard 4k set, you will still see a significant improvement in your movies and streaming 4k content and when you get a set with HDR colors, black level and contrast just go to another level.

Well my current set has an input lag of 100-102ms, so the 35.5ms from the LG should be a heck of an improvement.

Are there any OLED 4k sets that have great lag?

EDIT: Looks like the Samsungs get to 20.5ms or so.

Hmmmm.

The B6 has around 45-50 ms which is alright if you come from a 100ms TV.

Not sure anybody can answer as no HDR games have been released for X1.

ROTR for PC is HDR, maybe someone who has used their 4K TV as a monitor can confirm?

If your TV set lets you select game mode whilst HDR is enabled, during a UHD Blu Ray movie? That would confirm?

Even ROTR on the PC hasn't actually got the HDR patch yet to enable it

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Still looks great. UHD Blu Ray even without HDR looks great. But when you finally see what HDR does, there is no going back. So if you have a standard 4k set, you will still see a significant improvement in your movies and streaming 4k content and when you get a set with HDR colors, black level and contrast just go to another level.

yup.

4k HDR on my LG OLED E6 basically looks like film. It is nuts.

Awesome. How the hell are all you guys getting these HDR sets? It's a pretty new technology on the 4k sets is it not. I mean I have a 2015 4k model and feel left out. 😶

I was able to score on amazing Samsung UHD on Prime Day for a ridiculous price, but I just noticed that while it has HDR, It's HDR Premium and not HDR10. Will it just not work with the X1s? Has anyone here tried it with the new console? Mine is a 55" 6300 series.

gamz

I was able to score on amazing Samsung UHD on Prime Day for a ridiculous price, but I just noticed that while it has HDR, It's HDR Premium and not HDR10. Will it just not work with the X1s? Has anyone here tried it with the new console? Mine is a 55" 6300 series.

Samsung's support HDR10.

Cleve

It should support it, but if you give a model, someone here can give you a better answer. (samsungs support hdr10, just be sure to turn it on for the port in your video options)

gamz

Xenoflare

um, is it me or does xbox jumps around between Mb/s and MB/s when calculating download speed.

Instant On mode is quite amazing, I can actually put things to sleep while downloading now!

Inb4 what year is it

Top Bottom