• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Awesome. How the hell are all you guys getting these HDR sets? It's a pretty new technology on the 4k sets is it not. I mean I have a 2015 4k model and feel left out. ��

Vizio's P-Series that came out this year are amazing. Especially for the price.

Bought my 55inch during a sale and paid $1300. including an extended warranty. This TV supports Dolby Vision and now HDR10. HDR10 is important because it is the open format that the xbox one s uses and what the 4k/UHD blu-rays use too.

Also, HDMI 5 can go as low as 17ms in gaming mode. However, it doesn't support HDR as it is just HDMI v1.4 instead of HDMI v2.0a like the ports 1-4 support.

I think the 50 inch version is $800? im not 100% sure.

Maybe I'm just wanting to see things but I swear watching Bojack Horseman on Netflix on my S just now looked more colorful and crisp than it ever has before and I just have a regular old 1080p Samsung.

The colors of the dashboard feel like they pop more, especially the red for some reason. Even the text just looks really crisp and clean.

The OS definitely feels a bit faster as well, at least in regards to getting around quicker, not sure about booting up apps and games which still feels a little laggy to me.

It's also super-silent, even quieter than my OG XBO. I'm playing the Hardcore Henry BR right now and I put my ear right up to the fan and it just sounds like if you had a fan running on the lowest setting 20 feet away from you. Super-fuckin'-silent!

Hawk269

Awesome. How the hell are all you guys getting these HDR sets? It's a pretty new technology on the 4k sets is it not. I mean I have a 2015 4k model and feel left out. ��

My wife says I have a "New TV" disorder or something medically wrong with me where I want to upgrade to a new TV almost every year. Just a small example of what I bought....

2013 near release of the first 4k sets, the Sony 4k 65" XBR900a (still have this one)
2013 near the end of the year Panasonic 4k Set (this was returned due to banding issues)
2014 mid-year the Panasonic 800u 4k Set (mainly because it had display port and I wanted to do 4k gaming on my PC)
2015 mid-year the Panasonic CX850u 4k set, much improved and one of the first sets with HDMI 2.0a that allowed 4k/60fps via HDMI. (still have this one and there is a HDR firmware update for it).
2016 in mid-May Sony released the high-end 75" 940d which included HDMI 2.0a on all ports and HDR.

Sony just announced the new ZD line, (http://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-z9d-series) which no-one really new about and shocked a lot of people being that the 940d was suppose to be the flagship model for this year. The initial specs seem extremely impressive, it is suppose to hit 4,000 nits, which is extremely bright, which would make HDR on that set even more impactful and it has some new tech that improves black level even more and uses a new X1 extreme processor. It is suppose to come out very soon, but very pricey. I believe the 100" model is at $59,999.00 according to Best Buy that had posted and then removed it. They will also have a 65" and 75". I mildly mentioned it to my wife, which she put a immediate stop to any thought of getting it. I guess I need to start buying some flowers every other weekend!!! :)

JeffG

My wife says I have a "New TV" disorder or something medically wrong with me where I want to upgrade to a new TV almost every year.
lol

I just got my 15 yr reward from work. $500 visa card. I am using that to subsidise my TV purchase. (I was going to use it on VR, but decided to go TV and get a Scorpio next yr.)

pswii60

i'm still not sure how HDR gaming is going to work with us that have newer 4k tvs, like the LG OLEDs and Samsung KS8xxx series. To get the lowest input lag on these, you need to enter game mode, so will the tv manufacturers have to do a software update to allow HDR in game mode?
Do we know that HDR doesn't work in game mode on this TVs already?

Unfortunately we don't even know the lag on these TVs with a 4k input source - could be very different results to 1080p.

Do we know that HDR doesn't work in game mode on this TVs already?

Unfortunately we don't even know the lag on these TVs with a 4k input source - could be very different results to 1080p.

I know that at least with LG TVs that the set switches to an HDR mode with only 3 selections that don't include a game mode. Hopefully they are updated in a firmware upgrade.

ZOONAMI

My wife says I have a "New TV" disorder or something medically wrong with me where I want to upgrade to a new TV almost every year. Just a small example of what I bought....

2013 near release of the first 4k sets, the Sony 4k 65" XBR900a (still have this one)
2013 near the end of the year Panasonic 4k Set (this was returned due to banding issues)
2014 mid-year the Panasonic 800u 4k Set (mainly because it had display port and I wanted to do 4k gaming on my PC)
2015 mid-year the Panasonic CX850u 4k set, much improved and one of the first sets with HDMI 2.0a that allowed 4k/60fps via HDMI. (still have this one and there is a HDR firmware update for it).
2016 in mid-May Sony released the high-end 75" 940d which included HDMI 2.0a on all ports and HDR.

Sony just announced the new ZD line, (http://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-z9d-series) which no-one really new about and shocked a lot of people being that the 940d was suppose to be the flagship model for this year. The initial specs seem extremely impressive, it is suppose to hit 4,000 nits, which is extremely bright, which would make HDR on that set even more impactful and it has some new tech that improves black level even more and uses a new X1 extreme processor. It is suppose to come out very soon, but very pricey. I believe the 100" model is at $59,999.00 according to Best Buy that had posted and then removed it. They will also have a 65" and 75". I mildly mentioned it to my wife, which she put a immediate stop to any thought of getting it. I guess I need to start buying some flowers every other weekend!!! :)

I have the 65ax800u. I think it looks really good and I had a 50" plasma before it. It doesn't have HDR, but it has awesome blacks, contrast, and color reproduction. The displayport is great for my living room gaming rig, I don't notice any input lag whatsoever. It does have expanded color gamut, and I don't really know if I should be using it or not with the xbox one s. Of course I use it for my PC, and it appears to recognized the xbox one s is putting out a 4:4:4 4k signal as 4k pure direct setting is selectable when playing Revenant UHD. It looks really fucking good. But I don't know if it makes sense to have the native 0-255 color gamut enabled if UHD blu-rays don't support it? I read that uhd blu-ray only supports 4:2:0, but the xbox seems to be sending a 4:4:4 signal when playing a uhd blu-ray. Using the xbox calibration tool there is no black crush, and everything looks good, so I guess I will leave it as is with expanded colors.

RedRum

Banned
Just bought a Samsung 55 inch 4K this weekend. It will be delivered on Sat. I would recommend people check their sets on Rtings.com for the lag input tests they do. I bought this set for its low lag input score and was happy to find out it also does HDR10.

gamz

Just bought a Samsung 55 inch 4K this weekend. It will be delivered on Sat. I would recommend people check their sets on Rtings.com for the lag input tests they do. I bought this set for its low lag input score and was happy to find out it also does HDR10.

Guys, please post model numbers or links.

Thanks

pswii60

Yes but the problem is that those tests are not done at UHD nor HDR.

Kawngi

Guessing I read misinformation when I bought my TV late last year. Can't seem to enable anything HDR related, sigh.

It's a Sony XBR55X810C

JeffG

Guessing I read misinformation when I bought my TV late last year. Can't seem to enable anything HDR related, sigh.

It's a Sony XBR55X810C

Did you update the firmware?

Sounds like HDR wasn't there until an update

https://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/x810c-HDR-update/td-p/557132

Edit: Maybe not your TV There was this text
Improvements over version PKG3.043.0080NAB:
Adds support for HDMI HDR (excludes XBR-43X830C, XBR-49X830C, XBR55X810C, and XBR65X810C)

Kyne

Which model? Been looking at the Samsung 4k sets.. had my eye on the UN55KS8000 and was wondering if it was as good as I think it is.

SDMG

Has anybody looked at the Hisense H8 50' or 55' 4K models which are super affordable and supports HDR10 video content, HDMI 2.0a with HDCP 2.2

The 50' models are about $600 and the 55' models are around $700

Im looking into getting the 50' model

ktroopa

The S looks great inside and out, def how it shud have been day one. Really slick and compact layout. Toight! Gives me high hopes for Scorpio

Cranster

Banned
I think I'm going to trade in my spare Xbox 360 and Xbox One for a 2GB slim tomorrow. The fact that it is less of a power hog may benifit the hydro bill somewhat for me.

grizzelye

Watching Man of Steel UHD, and my LG OLED55E6V only has three picture settings, HDR Vivid, HDR Bright, HDR Standard. No game mode setting can be toggled :(

Hopefully TV manufacturers update the firmware before Forza Horizon 3

Thank you everyone for the responses. Since my TV is UHD and not HDR, it still supports 4k resolution from HD blurays, streaming, etc?

God, I used to be able to understand these things, I swear....

gamz

Thank you everyone for the responses. Since my TV is UHD and not HDR, it still supports 4k resolution from HD blurays, streaming, etc?

God, I used to be able to understand these things, I swear....

Yes, of course. Everything but HDR. It's still going to look fucking amazing.

Lucifon

I know that at least with LG TVs that the set switches to an HDR mode with only 3 selections that don't include a game mode. Hopefully they are updated in a firmware upgrade.
I'm saving up to buy this year's B6V model, does this mean we can't experience HDR and play with reasonable response lag at the same time...? If so then that makes a HDR set sound pointless for me :(

I'm saving up to buy this year's B6V model, does this mean we can't experience HDR and play with reasonable response lag at the same time...? If so then that makes a HDR set sound pointless for me :(

Idk how long you have to save up still but I'd definitely wait for HDR gaming tests if it's important to you. We should see some next month.

Cranster

Banned
Just a quick question in general though. Will the USB drive I use for my current xbox one need to be formatted again on the new slim? Or will it work seamlessly and let me move those files to the new system?

Vizio lets you use the GLL option (Game Low Latency) with every picture mode, so I think their TVs will have the lowest input lag for HDR gaming at this point. Hopefully LG updates their TV line to support game modes for HDR or maybe they already have? I'd suggest going to avsforum.com and reading up on any particular model you are interested in. One thing I find refreshing about Vizio is that the CTO of Marketing is pretty active on the forums and getting feedback from gamers planning to use an Xbox One on their Vizios. Post launch support has been pretty good for the P Series as well.

Tall Paul

I was going to wait until the 500gb also but after reading these posts I got on gamestops website yesterday at 10am, did pick up in store for a 2tb. Luckily I got the E-mail saying it was ready for pick up.
Thats not helping! You glad you didn't wait bud? Only reason I'm still waiting is that I managed to reserve the 500GB for about £224 ish I think which is a great price.

Lucifon

Vizio lets you use the GLL option (Game Low Latency) with every picture mode, so I think their TVs will have the lowest input lag for HDR gaming at this point. Hopefully LG updates their TV line to support game modes for HDR or maybe they already have? I'd suggest going to avsforum.com and reading up on any particular model you are interested in. One thing I find refreshing about Vizio is that the CTO of Marketing is pretty active on the forums and getting feedback from gamers planning to use an Xbox One on their Vizios. Post launch support has been pretty good for the P Series as well.

That sounds pretty good but the main reason I'm going for the LG B6V is because of OLED. Just can't beat those panels. I'll look into the Vizios though.

That sounds pretty good but the main reason I'm going for the LG B6V is because of OLED. Just can't beat those panels. I'll look into the Vizios though.

I get it. OLED is way better for HDR. LEDs need local dimming to show a good HDR image, but even with a lot of dimming panels it still won't be anywhere close to an OLED. The per pixel lighting is just going to look so much better especially in starry lit nights where a local dimming panel might cause you to lose some detail.

Top Bottom