• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

MaulerX

God I'm so weak. I had reserved the 500GB version with $50 at my local GameStop. I just walked in with my XB1 and a few games I was no longer playing and walked out with an XB1 S 😐

😁

Edit: Don't know if it's a placebo effect but the dash seems much snappier? Like the side guide opens up pretty much instantly now. Am I crazy?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Edit: Don't know if it's a placebo effect but the dash seems much snappier? Like the side guide opens up pretty much instantly now. Am I crazy?
Hopefully DF is doing a full in-depth proper analysis of the full extent of the new resources available on the S. I want to see how much more consistent Halo 5's 1080p is on the S as well.

AP90

God I'm so weak. I had reserved the 500GB version with $50 at my local GameStop. I just walked in with my XB1 and a few games I was no longer playing and walked out with an XB1 S 😐

😁

Feels snappier to me too. But I think it's just in my head.

Impulsor

It doesn't feel snappier to me at all.

In any case, I'm in love with the thing, it still is dead silent, it does not heat up at all and I just got Witcher 3 to try and finally play through it on the Xbox One S instead of on PC.

4k tv + Xbox One S bias.

ZOONAMI

So does the Xbox one s and for that matter the ps4 actually display an expanded 0-255 color space? My tv has display port and supports rgb for pc, so I would think that would work?

Do uhd blurays support 0-255? Do games?

ZOONAMI

It doesn't feel snappier to me at all.

In any case, I'm in love with the thing, it still is dead silent, it does not heat up at all and I just got Witcher 3 to try and finally play through it on the Xbox One S instead of on PC.

4k tv + Xbox One S bias.

It actually feels snappier than my previous elite model with the sshd. Could just be that the hdd isn't totally full? The bigger platter 2tb drive should help somewhat with load times vs a regular xbox too right?

So does the Xbox one s and for that matter the ps4 actually display an expanded 0-255 color space? My tv has display port and supports rgb for pc, so I would think that would work?

Well UHD is 10-bit so it should be 0-1024 for media.

I thought I read that games are still 8-bit though and don't have access to WCG. Could be mistaken.

gamz

It's funny when a ton of people thought it was a mistake to make the One S with Scorp a year away. It looks like it's doing its job in revitalizing the brand.

Caayn

The gamma curve for 0-255 is broken on the Xbox One S, just like the normal Xbox One. The PS4 supports 0-255 without any problem.

DirtyLarry

Awesome. How the hell are all you guys getting these HDR sets? It's a pretty new technology on the 4k sets is it not. I mean I have a 2015 4k model and feel left out. ��
Knowing you have the same TV as me, unless you are absolutely dead set on getting the Slim, I would suggest holding off.
I am terribly disappointed myself. Yeah, I get my cable box upscaled, but I could have done that the entire time with my receiver. The One S handles it better, but that is literally it. And full disclosure, I can barely tell the difference.

Perhaps, hell I know, I should have researched things some more, but I thought we would be able to enjoy some of the other features. Nope.

ZOONAMI

The gamma curve for 0-255 is broken on the Xbox One S, just like the normal Xbox One. The PS4 supports 0-255 without any problem.

Source? In the calibration tool I don't have crushed blacks and uhd bluray my tv does 4k pure direct 4:4:4, which would be grayed out if it wasn't getting a 4:4:4 source.

ZOONAMI

Knowing you have the same TV as me, unless you are absolutely dead set on getting the Slim, I would suggest holding off.
I am terribly disappointed myself. Yeah, I get my cable box upscaled, but I could have done that the entire time with my receiver. The One S handles it better, but that is literally it. And full disclosure, I can barely tell the difference.

Perhaps, hell I know, I should have researched things some more, but I thought we would be able to enjoy some of the other features. Nope.

I don't have hdr and the revenant 4k bluray is literally jaw dropping. Worth it to me. And an fps improvement in games is cool too. And 2tb hdd space. And it looks sleek as hell.

It's kind of weird, theres a caution triangle that says I should go back and enable hdr, but it's grayed out.

etta

my hard graphic balls
You can try searching Google with your TV model and 4:4:4 or plug in a pc and look at 4:4:4 text test.
Hmmm thanks, I'll try the test out.
It's funny when a ton of people thought it was a mistake to make the One S with Scorp a year away. It looks like it's doing its job in revitalizing the brand.
Arm chair analysts breh.
I'm starting to think even Xbox Play Anywhere won't kill off Xbox as a console. There are loads and loads of people buying consoles to play their yearly Call of Duty and FIFA/Madden. Xbox's exclusives not being true exclusives anymore won't matter a huge amount, many will still choose to play on console. Xbox just needs to figure out how to get back in a position that allows it to compete with PlayStation in NA/UK for that console crowd. Hopefully they leverage the PC gaming for the ROTW if once they fix the Windows Store, but that's a whole other problem.

Spasm

It actually feels snappier than my previous elite model with the sshd. Could just be that the hdd isn't totally full? The bigger platter 2tb drive should help somewhat with load times vs a regular xbox too right?
OS drive is now on a Sata III controller. Could have i/o improvements.

Well we still have 4k, anyway. Oh, I'm holding off whether I like it or not. My wife will not let me put another tv in the house...haha

My wife says I have a "New TV" disorder or something medically wrong with me where I want to upgrade to a new TV almost every year. Just a small example of what I bought....

2013 near release of the first 4k sets, the Sony 4k 65" XBR900a (still have this one)
2013 near the end of the year Panasonic 4k Set (this was returned due to banding issues)
2014 mid-year the Panasonic 800u 4k Set (mainly because it had display port and I wanted to do 4k gaming on my PC)
2015 mid-year the Panasonic CX850u 4k set, much improved and one of the first sets with HDMI 2.0a that allowed 4k/60fps via HDMI. (still have this one and there is a HDR firmware update for it).
2016 in mid-May Sony released the high-end 75" 940d which included HDMI 2.0a on all ports and HDR.

LMAO I'm in the exact same boat with

I've went

Pioneer 500M (still own it)
Panasonic 58VT25
Panasonic 65VT30
skipped
Panasonic 65ZT60 (still own it)
Sony 65 XBR900B (sold because sources outside of games and blu ray looked horrible, edge bleeding etc)
Panasonic 65 AX800U (loved this display, had a display port, plasma like motion, sold because it didn't do HDR)
LG 65EF9500 (returned due to vignetting)
LG 65 EF9500 (still own)

Just picked up a 65E6P...

and already looking to replace a RX-A2040 with a 2060 or 3060 model lol

Since 2014 I have had 5 4k displays....

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
That ebay bundle is in my fucking cart god dammit, fuck.

It's looking at me. Harshly.

F u guys for bringing this shit up, Fuuuuuuck

Edit - Heeeeeelp meeeee, I don't need this right now

Welp.

screenshot_2016-08-033suky.png

And to top it off, I used my chase freedom to get a $150.00 discount because of promotion.

Hahahahaha, made out like a bandit.

$249.00 shipped for dat bundle, and I will sell those games.

FH3 can't come soon enough.

So uh, this happened.

I'm like wtf is this package?

I ordered this thing at 7:40ish AM today, standard free shipping scheduled for the 10th for delivery LOL... How the hell did this happen?

The box is A LOT smaller than I expected, I expect the xbo:s to be really small.

gamz

So uh, this happened.

I ordered this thing at 7:40ish AM today, standard free shipping scheduled for the 10th for delivery LOL... How the hell did this happen?

The box is A LOT smaller than I expected, I expect the xbo:s to be really small.

How the hell is ebay selling that package at that price? That's robbery!

DirtyLarry

I don't have hdr and the revenant 4k bluray is literally jaw dropping. Worth it to me. And an fps improvement in games is cool too. And 2tb hdd space. And it looks sleek as hell.

It's kind of weird, theres a caution triangle that says I should go back and enable hdr, but it's grayed out.
Are all of your other settings except for the first one Red Circles with the Slash? The one and only setting I have that is a Green Check Mark is the first one. Nothing else.
I too have the Yellow Triangle with Exclamation with the HDR. It is a bug I am guessing. The rest of the settings are a no go.

I am under the impression that means 4K BluRays are pointless for myself. Just simply being upscaled. Am I wrong here? I would love to be wrong, so someone please tell me that I am. But my understanding is without any of those other settings also green check marks, that means 4K UHD BluRays will not be displaying as they actually could, and should be, displaying.

As far as a 2TB HDD, I had an external drive with 2TB on my previous One, so that is not really a must have to me either. Finally 6 extra frames per second, while nice, is not something I personally care about.

So very cool you are happy with it. I was just sharing my opinion knowing what TV he has that I also have, I am not really sure it is worth picking up right now.

EDIT - And again, to reiterate, it is my own damn fault. A little research would have went a long way. I just assumed a TV from last year would support everything except HDR.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So uh, this happened.

The shipper lives in your city maybe? Newegg warehouse?

GaspHand.png

WHAT IF YOU LIVED INSIDE THE NEWEGG WAREHOUSE ALL ALONG?!

GP_Socks

Banned
I was never really excited about the Xbox One until this upgrade. It's an incredible deal, definitely going to buy this month.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
The shipper lives in your city maybe? Newegg warehouse?

GaspHand.png

WHAT IF YOU LIVED INSIDE THE NEWEGG WAREHOUSE ALL ALONG?!

Of course, lol I'm in Manhattan, Newegg has a warehouse in NJ. I've know for a loooooong time.

I'm not entirely surprised but this shit arrived TOO fast.

My dashboard shows up in 2160p and my TV is in 2160P while playing Netflix, but Netflix does not show Ultra HD available on any shows. And when I click down on the right thumbstick on house of cards, it says 1080. :(

Am I doing something wrong? Or has the Netflix app not been updated yet?

So what's the process of trading in a system to GameStop? I have an original Xbox One with a few digital titles. I assume they'll wipe the console. Will all my digital games be linked to my account?

Also, how is trading a console in at GameStop? Does it take forever?

Xbox One S does look sexy as hell.

gamz

So what's the process of trading in a system to GameStop? I have an original Xbox One with a few digital titles. I assume they'll wipe the console. Will all my digital games be linked to my account?

I would wipe before you bring it there and yes all your games are tied to your account.

Trading in a console takes no time whatsoever.

Edit: Yes, it's sexy as fuck.

Archpath1

I could go get one....
My xbox feels slow for some reason, like it should be faster

But trying to opt out for a HDR TV this year then the scorpio next year

Anyone got pics of theres setup already? @-@

etta

my hard graphic balls
I could go get one....
My xbox feels slow for some reason, like it should be faster

But trying to opt out for a HDR TV this year then the scorpio next year
Clear cache reboot.

The OS gets slow with time as leftovers don't get cleaned up properly.
A clear cache reboot a month is ideal.

I would wipe before you bring it there and yes all your games are tied to your account.

Trading in a console takes no time whatsoever.

Edit: Yes, it's sexy as fuck.

Thanks, will definitely consider it. Probably could net about $200 with my console and physical titles and my Power Up Rewards. Just need a copy of Halo 5.

Something

Banned
I want one so bad but I cant justify the upgrade with Scorpio around the corner. Need to stay strong. Please be as sexy as this box Scorpio, and not another VCR power brick nightmare.

ZOONAMI

I tried trading in mine at gamestop and they were telling me it wasn't reading discs, I have never had a single disc read error. I go back home, put it a disc, no problems. Went to best buy and traded in without issue. They gave me $20 less but that's ok with me not having to deal with the bs that is gamestop. I prefer bb rewards and I had a 10% off coupon too, I thought they would be sold out but they had 2 on the shelf.

ZOONAMI

I got one that is 5TB thankfully.

Is it just me or are xbox titles insanely large? My two gaming rigs each have a 1 tb and a 240gb ssd and the ssds are somewhat full but the 7200rpm spinners aren't even half full. I have at least as many games on each pc as I did on my 1tb xbox, and the 1tb xbox was completely full.

sector4

My dashboard shows up in 2160p and my TV is in 2160P while playing Netflix, but Netflix does not show Ultra HD available on any shows. And when I click down on the right thumbstick on house of cards, it says 1080. :(

Am I doing something wrong? Or has the Netflix app not been updated yet?

Are you on the highest available Netflix sub? The most expensive 4 screen subscription is required for 4K streaming.

ZOONAMI

Are all of your other settings except for the first one Red Circles with the Slash? The one and only setting I have that is a Green Check Mark is the first one. Nothing else.
I too have the Yellow Triangle with Exclamation with the HDR. It is a bug I am guessing. The rest of the settings are a no go.

I am under the impression that means 4K BluRays are pointless for myself. Just simply being upscaled. Am I wrong here? I would love to be wrong, so someone please tell me that I am. But my understanding is without any of those other settings also green check marks, that means 4K UHD BluRays will not be displaying as they actually could, and should be, displaying.

As far as a 2TB HDD, I had an external drive with 2TB on my previous One, so that is not really a must have to me either. Finally 6 extra frames per second, while nice, is not something I personally care about.

So very cool you are happy with it. I was just sharing my opinion knowing what TV he has that I also have, I am not really sure it is worth picking up right now.

EDIT - And again, to reiterate, it is my own damn fault. A little research would have went a long way. I just assumed a TV from last year would support everything except HDR.

My understanding is we should still have 4k bluray support, just no hdr or 10 bit color. My set is telling me it is displaying in 4k 4:4:4 when playing the revenant. It also looks markedly better than an upscaled regular bluray.

What's also weird is my set is listed as having a 10 bit panel and I can occasionally select 10 bit color in the Nvidia control panel but it defaults back to 8 bit. Panasonic really needs to do a firmware update. I've called them to no avail, as have many others.

Whatever through, the pq on the panny 4k is amazing imo. It's a great panel, just came out before all these standards unfortunately. Display port is awesome too as input lag is minimal.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

4K Blu-rays aren't ALL upscaled. Some are, but others are native 4K.

You're right in that you don't get the full benefit without HDR, but depending on screen size / how close you are, you could get some. Plus a lot of Netflix / Amazon 4K shows aren't HDR at all and still look good in native 4K as well.

Top Bottom