• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Scrawnton

Just got done watching the revenant on this bad boy. My girlfriend was a photography major in college and was blown away by seeing HDR in a movie after having dealt with it in photography for a while.

It was insane how good it looked.

dcx4610

I was going to try to wait until Black Friday to pick up a TV and I don't see that happening with everyone flipping out over UHD and HDR.

I think I've decided on the Samsung UN49KS8000. Now just for a good deal...

Bubba77

Just installed my S and everything is downloading. Man it is sexy and very small! I know people got all up in arms but considering its this small and has an internal power brick is impressive. I can actually put other stuff in that space of my entertainment center now. Yay.

No to get a 4k TV. Probably next month after vacations. Was going to wait on the xb1 until later as well but that Newegg deal popped up.

This blows.

Not only did I post about not needing this thing, but it shipped yesterday and didn't require a signature. I get a notification I have a package delivered, I get home and it's gone.

Called eBay opened a case and they tell me that it's going to take 10 days to resolve and I may get a refund.

Totally fart.

That's all they are going to do for you? Wow! Why would it not require a signature??
I have absolutely NO idea why they wouldn't require a signature for something that's $400. Pretty bummed out, I asked the rep "Do you think Newegg would honor it and send me a new one?" and I got a resounding "I would be incredibly surprised if they did."

I guess it wasn't meant to be yet?

HBroward

XBOX is saying my TV fails all the tests except 4K60, which is bullshit as I have a UN65KS8000 and I play 4K HDR video on my UBD-K8500 just fine. Anyone else have this issue?

I have that model TV and everything is working fine for me. Have you enabled HDMI UHD color in the expert picture settings for the hdmi input the S is plugged into?

Have any reviews or hands-ons said whether the bluetooth controller can be used on Android or iOS devices?

I'm getting one of those new controllers so I can have it bluetooth with my computer, but I'd LOVE it if it worked for my phone too.

Paired it with my LG G5 without an issue. Worked better there than with Windows 10.

Xbudz

0obiuhO.jpg

So I'm wondering if the Xbox One S even upscales games to 4K with these settings?

2015 4K Vizio FML

jax

Banned
How does it make no sense?

The 2TB comes with no games.
It costs more, it should be bundled. I'd buy the 2TB today even though I don't care about the storage increase but they're like "LOL fuck you though you want halo? Buy it."

It's like they don't want my $100. Lol

Xbudz

Which model is it exactly. You might have to plug the Xbox into a specific port or enable something in the options.

That's as best as I can get with my 2015 Vizio. (M50-C1)

I'm just curious if the upscaling actually happens with these settings.

I'm already disappointed at the "you will not be able to play games in 4k" warning..... Uhh, so my PC can play games in 4k while hooked up to this screen but the Xbox can't? What the hell

PrinceKee

That's as best as I can get with my 2015 Vizio. (M50-C1)

I'm just curious if the upscaling actually happens with these settings.

I'm already disappointed at the "you will not be able to play games in 4k" warning..... Uhh, so my PC can play games in 4k while hooked up to this screen but the Xbox can't? What the hell

This is concerning for me also. I was going to pick up an Xbox One S when the 500gb models come out, but I have a 2015 Vizio also forget the model # but it's a D series and doesn't do HDR. Hell when I bought it I didn't even know about HDR on TV's. I just wanted it for UHD Blu Rays and up scaling games to 4K...

Xbudz

This is concerning for me also. I was going to pick up an Xbox One S when the 500gb models come out, but I have a 2015 Vizio also forget the model # but it's a D series and doesn't do HDR. Hell when I bought it I didn't even know about HDR on TV's. I just wanted it for UHD Blu Rays and up scaling games to 4K...

Hopefully I can get some insight on this soon.
What happens with Scorpio next year? Early adopters to 4k will be screwed? C'mon... My PC plays games in 4K hooked into the same screen. They might need to lighten some of these restrictions.

Your Tv would upscale it anyway, I have the 65c1 vizio

Yeah I know the TV does an upscale for 1080p content, but the Xbox needs to be set at 4K for UHD movie playback, but the setting that says "you will not be able to play games in 4k" is throwing me off.

ZOONAMI

Hopefully I can get some insight on this soon.
What happens with Scorpio next year? Early adopters to 4k will be screwed? C'mon... My PC plays games in 4K hooked into the same screen. They might need to lighten some of these restrictions.

Yeah I know the TV does an upscale for 1080p content, but the Xbox needs to be set at 4K for UHD movie playback, but the setting that says "you will not be able to play games in 4k" is throwing me off.

Just poor wording from MS. I also have everything showing no support for 10 bit and hdr, but my TV is definitely displaying uhd blurays at 4k 24hz with 444 color, and also netflix uhd. Based on th error message I shouldnt be able to play movies either. If there are ever any native 4k games I would think they would work, just no hdr. Games are definitely upscaled right now too, although I guess I cant say if its through the xbox or my tv.

Sordid

Ordered a One S to save space in my cabinet. Sold my old XBone & my 2TB external at the start of the week in anticipation for the S arriving a day or 2 later. DPD arsed up though and sent my console to Gatwick for some reason, instead of arriving on Tuesday/Wednesday like it should've it'll be next Monday now 😐 jealous of everyone who has theirs already!

Subjacked

Neo Member
Is it only me, or why does netflix on the S not show anything in 4k. I have the app on my SmartTV and it has it's own section for 4k content. Do I have the wrong app installed or do i have some configuration problem? The 4k check in the settings gives me everything except HDR, which is marked with the warning sign. My TV should be able to display HDR with the option HDMI UHD Deep Colour turned on, or am I wrong?

NJD316

Neo Member
So has anyone noted if the S sorts out the controller disconnecting at random? I know this isn't an issue for everyone but it's something that's bugged my entire time owning an Xbox One.

0obiuhO.jpg

So I'm wondering if the Xbox One S even upscales games to 4K with these settings?

2015 4K Vizio FML

Hit the info button on the vizio remote during gameplay. If it displays 2160p at the top bar the xbox one s is up scaling it. I can confirm for you that I have the OG One right now and a 4k vizio from 2015 (non HDR) and my info says 1080p during gameplay.

gt86

So has anyone noted if the S sorts out the controller disconnecting at random? I know this isn't an issue for everyone but it's something that's bugged my entire time owning an Xbox One.

I have not had one disconnect, my launch xbone was almost unplayable some days.

Got my Newegg deal 2 TB system today. Damn right, S is for Sexy! This thing makes my PS4 look like a clunker now, especially when in the vertical position, and it's so quiet on top of that.

Seems like games take a bit longer to install before being playable than on the PS4, but I'm okay with that. Had a blast playing DOOM last night. Much prefer playing it now with the One controller rather than the Dual Shock 4 -- the triggers and bumpers are just more comfortable to use for long play sessions.

Really impressed with the system and its interface so far. Glad I waited for the console to be revised before purchasing one.

Weevilone

Can't believe I missed that Newegg bundle. And after missing the B&O speaker deal too, I guess not enough internet time.

Not wanting to pick up the new Xbox with a lesser deal now, but I guess I don't really need it.

Xbudz

Hit the info button on the vizio remote during gameplay. If it displays 2160p at the top bar the xbox one s is up scaling it. I can confirm for you that I have the OG One right now and a 4k vizio from 2015 (non HDR) and my info says 1080p during gameplay.

Ok thanks man.
So my info button shows 2160p so it's up-scaling for sure.
Now I wonder which is better, the X1S up-scaler or Vizio's "spacial engine" up-scaler.
I'll have to flip between settings and try to compare at some point.

I'm still confused though as to why the Xbox seems so strict with 4K gaming without 10bit support? My PC with the GTX 970 can manage 4K gaming while hooked up to this screen, not sure why the Xbox won't.. and what does that mean for Scorpio?

So many questions!

JeffG

I'm still confused though as to why the Xbox seems so strict with 4K gaming without 10bit support? My PC with the GTX 970 can manage 4K gaming while hooked up to this screen, not sure why the Xbox won't.. and what does that mean for Scorpio?

So many questions!
10 bit is for HDR. Just looks like your tv doesn't support hdr. 4k support is fine

Ok thanks man.
So my info button shows 2160p so it's up-scaling for sure.
Now I wonder which is better, the X1S up-scaler or Vizio's "spacial engine" up-scaler.
I'll have to flip between settings and try to compare at some point.

I would definitely leave the 4k on from the xbox resolution settings. Would the spatial upscaler upscale again if the console sends a 4k resolution? I wouldn't think so.

Xbudz

I would definitely leave the 4k on from the xbox resolution settings. Would the spatial upscaler upscale again if the console sends a 4k resolution? I wouldn't think so.

I know you won't get a double upscale. I'm just curious about the quality of Xbox One's upscaling ability.
No real way to test that besides staring at my TV and flipping settings around for a while.

I know you won't get a double upscale. I'm just curious about the quality of Xbox One's upscaling ability.
No real way to test that besides staring at my TV and flipping settings around for a while.

I think Vizio has pretty bad upscalers. The Xbox is going to do a better job.

I have absolutely NO idea why they wouldn't require a signature for something that's $400. Pretty bummed out, I asked the rep "Do you think Newegg would honor it and send me a new one?" and I got a resounding "I would be incredibly surprised if they did."

I guess it wasn't meant to be yet?

You should win the case and get a refund as anything over $250 requires a signature

ah shit for some reason my mental timetable got all messed up and I thought the 500gb was 2 weeks away, not 3

REALLY gotta resist cancelling my preorder and buying the 2tb today

Makes it harder that I have UHD movies being delivered today

edit: also do i need to get a better hdmi cable? my current ones are 10.2gbps, do I need to replace with the 18 so I can get 4k@60(only relevant for upscaling obviously)

I know that it comes with a cable but I have a system that won't allow black hdmi cables

NJD316

Neo Member
I have not had one disconnect, my launch xbone was almost unplayable some days.

Yeah the amount of times games have abruptly paused because the controller disconnects is crazy. May jump in on an S at some if it solves/improves the problem.

Top Bottom