• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

dcx4610

The Revenant looked amazing on Blu-ray. I can't wait to see it on UHD. I picked up The Martian and Creed as well.

Now to just decide on the TV to get.

I'm down to..

Samsung KS8000
Vizio P Series

The Vizio has a full LED array but it seems like only Best Buy carries it and I don't want to pay full price. The Samsung physically looks the best but it only supports HDR10 and is edge lit.

Lima

Ok, so it's been a couple of days. What do you guys think of your 2tb S so far?!?!

Love it. It's basically as quiet as the old one and I didn't have a single controller disconnect yet(this is huge). I also feel like the dashboard is a little snappier and The Division has a little less tearing now.

It's nice. I use my 4TB external for everything so I can't comment on the HDD.

Wow, I ordered that Newegg $400 deal on the 1st and it just arrived on my doorstep after the tracking said it would be here by the 8th! Super excited right now.

Jorav

Gold Member
Ok, so it's been a couple of days. What do you guys think of your 2tb S so far?!?!

Loving the near silent operation. Upscaling is great. Only complaint is the UI is a bit of a mess imo. PS4 UI for me is much better, though i haven't looked into what customisation options are available for the Xbone UI.

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
Gotta get Mr. Wilson up in here:

https://youtu.be/DqwCKpMGbxs

giphy.gif

I'll assume I'm not the target audience. >.>

Loving the near silent operation. Upscaling is great. Only complaint is the UI is a bit of a mess imo. PS4 UI for me is much better, though i haven't looked into what customisation options are available for the Xbone UI.

The Xbox UI is very much more customizable than the ps4 ui. But then again my ps4 UI never hangs up. So it's a toss up there.

Have any reviews or hands-ons said whether the bluetooth controller can be used on Android or iOS devices?

I'm getting one of those new controllers so I can have it bluetooth with my computer, but I'd LOVE it if it worked for my phone too.

Played Forza 6 on my Samsung JS9000 in movie mode. There was no noticeable lag, so I didn't even need to activate game mode. With my PS4, there is very noticeable lag when not in game mode.

HDR gaming will be fine on the Xbox One S.

Lima

Played Forza 6 on my Samsung JS9000 in movie mode. There was no noticeable lag, so I didn't even need to activate game mode. With my PS4, there is very noticeable lag when not in game mode.

HDR gaming will be fine on the Xbox One S.

This post makes no sense.

OCD Guy

This post makes no sense.

Exactly.

Input lag is down to the display, the device you connect to a display has no bearing on the amount of input lag native to the display itself (some devices themselves such as receivers etc can have their own input lag)

On TV's as most people are aware, switching off any additional processing such as any motion interpolation whether it be LG's TruMotion, Sony's Motion flow, IFC on Panasonics etc, enabling game modes, or pc modes etc can reduce input lag.

a.wd

Any UK Gaffers want to chime in on the best sub £1K 4k HDR TV? I am currently paralysed by indecision, and I want to get it before the 500gb comes out (All my games are on the external 4TB HD).

Any help is appreciated

Lima

Bingo. I played Forza with no noticeable lag. Whereas on the PS4, I have to turn on Game mode or its unplayable. Both hooked to the receiver.

If you can't notice 150ms lag which your TV has in movie mode then I don't know what to tell you man. Your input isn't exactly of any worth in that case. Also scaling would never add that much lag for it to be a noticeable difference between the two consoles.

If you can't notice 150ms lag which your TV has in movie mode then I don't know what to tell you man. Your input isn't exactly of any worth in that case. Also scaling would never add that much lag for it to be a noticeable difference between the two consoles.

I'm telling you it works fine. If you don't want to believe me, that's on you.

150 fucking ms is not not noticeable. If you believe that is working fine stop posting this bullshit that people might believe. Numbers don't lie.

Hostile much? I've already stated that the lag is very noticeable on my PS4 but not on this Xbox One S. I don't know exactly why but it is playable.

I even double checked to make sure the Xbox didn't somehow force the TV into game mode.

Maybe I got lucky and got a magical TV?!?

Am I the only one having problems with Netflix not offering 4k? Even though the XBox appears to be upscaling the video to 4k. My TV says it is displaying 2160p, clicking on the right joystick shows that Netflix is playing at 1080p.

The only thing that is different from how I usually watch it is that it's going through my receiver. It supports 4k though and the TV says its receiving 4k content though... Argh. I'm going to try hooking the Xbox up to the TV directly and see if that helps but I'm out of ideas short of replacing cables after this.

Edit: I also checked and I have the latest firmware for my TV and receiver.

etta

my hard graphic balls
There's now a "This Week on Windows" thanks to "This Week on Xbox".
Windows division keep learning from the Xbox one lols.

Am I the only one having problems with Netflix not offering 4k? Even though the XBox appears to be upscaling the video to 4k. My TV says it is displaying 2160p, clicking on the right joystick shows that Netflix is playing at 1080p.

The only thing that is different from how I usually watch it is that it's going through my receiver. It supports 4k though and the TV says its receiving 4k content though... Argh. I'm going to try hooking the Xbox up to the TV directly and see if that helps but I'm out of ideas short of replacing cables after this.
Make sure you're paying for 4K Netflix.

There's now a "This Week on Windows" thanks to "This Week on Xbox".
Windows division keep learning from the Xbox one lols.

Make sure you're paying for 4K Netflix.

I do, I watch it on the Vizio app normally. I just got it to work connecting directly to the TV, so it's either my receiver or the cable between my Xbox and receiver. Woot!!

Bessy67

What kind of internet do you need to stream content at 4K from Netflix? My internet isn't the greatest (15Mb/s) so would I even get 4K content?

So I have a 15 Vizio and its missing a lot of features. I can wait and pick up a Samsung or another Vizio with HDR later in the year but this Hisense I keep seeing with HDR for 500 looks pretty interesting . It seems decent at least it would be a upgrade over my Vizio . Anybody have one ?

chadskin

So I have a 15 Vizio and its missing a lot of features. I can wait and pick up a Samsung or another Vizio with HDR later in the year but this Hisense I keep seeing with HDR for 500 looks pretty interesting . It seems decent at least it would be a upgrade over my Vizio . Anybody have one ?

Hisense are said to have pretty terrible input lag. I'd stay away from them for gaming purposes, better get a Vizio instead.

ah forgot about input lag lol . that's the reason I went Vizio in the 1st place. Just disappointed with it about now since it only had 1 4k 60 hz ports so my Pc and Slim basically have to alternate between 1 port smh .

ah forgot about input lag lol . that's the reason I went Vizio in the 1st place. Just disappointed with it about now since it only had 1 4k 60 hz ports so my Pc and Slim basically have to alternate between 1 port smh .

You can buy a 4k receiver and use it only for HDMI switching. Would be a bit overkill though.

I saw the new controllers at Walmart, and almost bit. I'm not sure if I'll get an S, but will probably pick one of those up at least.

I decided to wait, though. $80 is a lot to spend on a whim, before taxes. I wish the grip nubs on the back were more protruded, like they are on the SE controllers, but it is what it is. (I've demoed one once.)

I have a Vizio P65-C1 and a Pioneer SC-95. Directly to the Tv the Xbox One S passes all the 4K tests (outside of 50Hz). As soon as I go through my receiver, then it fails the 10-bit tests.

Super sampling is turned on. The receiver inputs are set to 4:4:4. I've tried with and without video conversion still without positive results.

I am using AmazonBasics latest HDMI cables on both in and out. I tried AmazonBasics last model HDMI cable on both in and out. I've tried Twisted Veins HDMI cables both in and out. Every time straight through to the HDTV with any of those cables I pass. Through the receiver, I fail.

It's clearly the receiver, but I've scoured every single setting and then some. Can anyone help?

I saw the new controllers at Walmart, and almost bit. I'm not sure if I'll get an S, but will probably pick one of those up at least.

I decided to wait, though. $80 is a lot to spend on a whim, before taxes. I wish the grip nubs on the back were more protruded, like they are on the SE controllers, but it is what it is. (I've demoed one once.)

It really is a fantastic controller. I just might feel this way right now because it's shiny and new, but I prefer it to my Elite controller.

This blows.

Not only did I post about not needing this thing, but it shipped yesterday and didn't require a signature. I get a notification I have a package delivered, I get home and it's gone.

Called eBay opened a case and they tell me that it's going to take 10 days to resolve and I may get a refund.

Totally fart.

This blows.

Not only did I post about not needing this thing, but it shipped yesterday and didn't require a signature. I get a notification I have a package delivered, I get home and it's gone.

Called eBay opened a case and they tell me that it's going to take 10 days to resolve and I may get a refund.

Totally fart.

That's all they are going to do for you? Wow! Why would it not require a signature??

I have a Vizio P65-C1 and a Pioneer SC-95. Directly to the Tv the Xbox One S passes all the 4K tests (outside of 50Hz). As soon as I go through my receiver, then it fails the 10-bit tests.

Super sampling is turned on. The receiver inputs are set to 4:4:4. I've tried with and without video conversion still without positive results.

I am using AmazonBasics latest HDMI cables on both in and out. I tried AmazonBasics last model HDMI cable on both in and out. I've tried Twisted Veins HDMI cables both in and out. Every time straight through to the HDTV with any of those cables I pass. Through the receiver, I fail.

It's clearly the receiver, but I've scoured every single setting and then some. Can anyone help?
I give up. I've spent two hours on this. As a last resort, I even tried the bundled HDMI cable that came with the Xbox One S. I'll try calling Pioneer Technical Support, but I don't have much faith in them.

I give up. I've spent two hours on this. As a last resort, I even tried the bundled HDMI cable that came with the Xbox One S. I'll try calling Pioneer Technical Support, but I don't have much faith in them.

I feel your pain. Does your receiver have a bypass mode of any kind that might help?

Or if it doesn't or you've already tried that, what about sending HDMI to your TV first, and then using HDMI out on the TV to your receiver for sound?

finalflame

XBOX is saying my TV fails all the tests except 4K60, which is bullshit as I have a UN65KS8000 and I play 4K HDR video on my UBD-K8500 just fine. Anyone else have this issue?

dcx4610

From a quick search I did, it doesn't look like your receiver supports HDMI 2.0a which is causing issues with 10-bit color. It says a firmware update is planned soon.

Edit: Looks like the firmware update is out now.

Top Bottom