• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Hmmm. Tested it with a picture from a thumb drive and with Edge both showed black crush with pc-RGB. However I just checked Rayman Legends and Halo 5 Guardians and neither show black crush.
xboxescaayn31s6d.png

I'm seeing the same thing for my XB1 S. Correct picture and all.

Yep, no issues. Passes with flying colours (all boxes ticked). Just need to turn on 'HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color' on the HDMI port your Xbox One S is connected to, under general settings.

HDMI 1-4 are 4k60hz ports.

Edit: not the best for input lag (game mode is 34ms) and just need to avoid image retention (which isn't permanent).

i already have had my e6 for a month or so. no problems with gaming in mid 30s lag. do you leave the uhd deep color on permanently or only when watching 4k movies?

I leave it permantely on. It's a toggle as some older devices aren't able to connect with HDR turned on.

thanks. do you leave output at 4k all the time? just wondering if you notice a difference in the xbox converting games and regular 1080p bluray vs. tv (if there's a difference in upscaling quality of one vs. another)?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Just realized that the gif I made for the OP is more appropriate with the little easter egg that was found in the console yesterday.
What if you knew all about it before hand and you let it slip?
Are you secretly Phil Spencer?

DirtyLarry

So I have been focusing on the media side of the S since I got it. Today I was finally able to check how a game looks.
Even though it is being upscaled, Forza 6 looks fan-fucking-tastic. The upscaling engine of the Slim really is damn good.
I tried upscaling all of my consoles previously through my receiver and they were unplayable. Too much input lag and all of the other issues one has.
Not happening at all with the Slim. Looks fantastic. Truly.
I can only imagine how good it looks with TV's that enable all of the 4K features.

dragoncdf

anyone having trouble connecting to live? yesterday when i got the s it connected just fine. today it saying not connected to live but i can see friends online and it's downloading games. i click test connection and says everything is fine and nat type is open. tried hard reset and resetting modem and nothing. after a while i can finally get it to connect but the next time i turn it on it says not connected to live. this was wired so i tried wireless and it connected immediately but when i turned off the system and back on it again says not connected but a few minutes later it connects but signs me out.opened ports to firewall for xbox didn't help.

Xbudz

I have the Sony XBR-X65x850B and when I check Sonys site it says that HDMI 1 or 2 are HDCP 2.2. Last Fall I bought a Denon receiver which does 4K pass through and I believe that the HDMI on there is HDCP 2.2. Obviously I won't get HDR since this set isn't HDR but UHD movies should look pretty good on my set? Kind of sucks I jumped on to 4K a year too early lol! But this set has had an amazing picture.

Yeah, I kinda wish I didn't jump into 4K a year early.. oh well.
I'll need to find a receiver that has at least two HDCP 2.2 inputs... anyone know of one?

So I have been focusing on the media side of the S since I got it. Today I was finally able to check how a game looks.
Even though it is being upscaled, Forza 6 looks fan-fucking-tastic. The upscaling engine of the Slim really is damn good.
I tried upscaling all of my consoles previously through my receiver and they were unplayable. Too much input lag and all of the other issues one has.
Not happening at all with the Slim. Looks fantastic. Truly.
I can only imagine how good it looks with TV's that enable all of the 4K features.

Great to hear...very great to hear!

grizzelye

thanks. do you leave output at 4k all the time? just wondering if you notice a difference in the xbox converting games and regular 1080p bluray vs. tv (if there's a difference in upscaling quality of one vs. another)?

I leave the Xbox to output at 4K, thought that would be best to have video playback native and to test the upscaler.

Games wise, everything looks great :), UI used to look abit rough on the E6/Xbox One, but now looks clean/high res on E6/Xbox One S.

Watched a few 1080p movies like Zootopia/King Fu Panda 3D (passive), and those were perfect (on old X1/E6 upscaler).

Haven't had a chance to test 1080p bluray on XBox One S, busy going through my new 4K blurays :)

Yeah, I kinda wish I didn't jump into 4K a year early.. oh well.
I'll need to find a receiver that has at least two HDCP 2.2 inputs... anyone know of one?

This is the one i bought earlier this year.Denon AVR-S710W 7.2

Denon Website Specs: LINK
I didnt see anything there that told me to only use a specific hdmi for HDCP 2.2. Seems like they all are capable.

Latest HDMI 2.0a Connectivity; HDCP 2.2 Compatible

Featuring 6 HDMI inputs, including 1 conveniently located on the front panel, the AVR-S710W incorporates an advanced video section that features the latest HDMI 2.0a specifications, including support for 4K Ultra HD 60 Hz full rate video, 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling and 21:9 video pass-through, along with support for 3D content. The AVR-S710W also features HDCP 2.2 compatibility, a requirement for 4K Ultra HD copy-protected content.

Full Specification 4K Ultra HD Compatibility

In addition to handling 4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 resolution, the AVR-S710W also features HDR (High Dynamic Range) and Wide Color Gamut compatibility, key components of the BT.2020 4K Ultra HD video specification.

EDIT: Zombie beat me.

Xbudz

Dr Bass

Bought one last night basically for 4k blu ray playback. Having insurmountable lip sync issues with both standard blu rays and 4k blu rays. Everything looks a few frames off and as a result appears "dubbed". Did all the recommended fixes and it still doesn't fix it. Original blu ray player still right on the money. Pretty disappointed, doesn't seem like there is a fix?

JawzPause

In all honesty i think it looks quite an appealing console, if only they initially released it like this

OT title v poor I'm disappointed btw

I'm enjoying the s design the more I look at it, same as the Xbox 360 slim at first I thought it was weird and silly but then you start to love it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm enjoying the s design the more I look at it, same as the Xbox 360 slim at first I thought it was weird and silly but then you start to love it.

Ahh, brings back the memories... ;_;

giphy.gif

They should've went back to lime green lights for the console/controller, don't know why they changed to white.

TRios Zen

Ehm, like the ps4 controller maybe?

Since the Xbox One uses standard AA batteries, you would only need a charging cord if you used the "play and charge" kit which replaces the AA batteries with a rechargeable battery pack (the play and charge kit comes with that cord).

Personally I stay away from those like the plague and just use eneloops. In other news, I think connecting the Xbox One controller to the system actually means it uses that connection for input and thus marginally decreases lag input time. But then I could just be smoking crack and making that up.

Sioen

Since the Xbox One uses standard AA batteries, you would only need a charging cord if you used the "play and charge" kit which replaces the AA batteries with a rechargeable battery pack (the play and charge kit comes with that cord).

Personally I stay away from those like the plague and just use eneloops. In other news, I think connecting the Xbox One controller to the system actually means it uses that connection for input and thus marginally decreases lag input time. But then I could just be smoking crack and making that up.

Meh I'll get that then, I don't like having batteries. Thanks for the response though.

I have the Denon S710W which has all HDCP 2.2 HDMI.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrs710w

This is the one i bought earlier this year.Denon AVR-S710W 7.2

Denon Website Specs: LINK
I didnt see anything there that told me to only use a specific hdmi for HDCP 2.2. Seems like they all are capable.

does this upscale less than 1080p signal to 4k (like 720p/1080i)? wondering if it would be better to upscale my directv signal to 4k than letting the LG E6 do it (great picture quality, but samsung and sony are better at upscaling).

TRios Zen

Meh I'll get that then, I don't like having batteries. Thanks for the response though.

Honestly, you'll learn to love it. Last much longer and your free from cords and what not.

I'm with gamz here - pack of 4 AA eneloops probably be cheaper and get you better performance than the play and charge kit, but I get it, different strokes for different folks.

In other news if you buy the eneloops, AND spring for an elite controller, you get a really nice connection cord. But thats a lot more money of course.

Lima

does this upscale less than 1080p signal to 4k (like 720p/1080i)? wondering if it would be better to upscale my directv signal to 4k than letting the LG E6 do it (great picture quality, but samsung and sony are better at upscaling).

No you have to go pretty high up the chain on AV receivers to get quality upscaling. Also consider the amount of lag upscaling through an AVR produces.

It's better to let either the device that is outputting upscale or the TV do it.

I belive it's only passthrough with this AVR. I dont remember any settings to upscale image. and i think LIMA just provided a great point too. the one i got is one of the cheaper ones.

I belive it's only passthrough with this AVR. I dont remember any settings to upscale image. and i think LIMA just provided a great point too. the one i got is one of the cheaper ones.

No you have to go pretty high up the chain on AV receivers to get quality upscaling. Also consider the amount of lag upscaling through an AVR produces.

It's better to let either the device that is outputting upscale or the TV do it.

thanks, wasn't' referring to the xbox, but about having it upscale lower cable feed like directv where lag doesn't matter?

Lima

thanks, wasn't' referring to the xbox, but about having it upscale lower cable feed like directv where lag doesn't matter?

Again you need an AVR with a quality chip. Totally depends. I honestly don't think you are going to get better results than the TV. I would personally let the TV do it (I will buy the LG E6 later this year).

It's what MS should have launched with, I'm no embarrassed to have this standing beside my TV, I just hope Sony having something as nice for the Neo design.

Pretty much.

The gf commented a few times how good the hardware looked.

Sadly though, still just playing Peggle 2 and 360 backwards comp titles on a 1080 tv lol. FH3 can't get here soon enough.

yeah,

What do you think of the games you have played on it, and the movies you have seen on it?

Those that dont have a 4k TV, and those that do.

I have a 4K tv and I'm blown away by the image quality. I'm not really a videophile like most of the people here but it has made me want to consume as much 4K content as possible lol...i'm running to Best Buy after work for a Revenant bluray.

I have a 4K tv and I'm blown away by the image quality. I'm not really a videophile like most of the people here but it has made me want to consume as much 4K content as possible lol...i'm running to Best Buy after work for a Revenant bluray.

Well at the minimum, the One S has sold a shit ton of copies for The Revenant....lol

Top Bottom