• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One sells one million+ (sell through to consumers) in all territories worldwide

Is this true?

Xbox One “Sold Out at Most Retailers” But There Are Still Plenty Right in the Heart of New York, Including Day One Editions

"Not even 24 hours after the North American launch of the Xbox One Microsoft sent a press release stating that “Xbox One is now sold out at most retailers,” but that statement must not have included Toys”R”Us or Best Buy.
Just a walk across Times Square from the location of one of the console’s big launch events to the local Toys”R”Us store, which happens to be the biggest store of the retail chain in the world, and also a very well known shopping outlet, would have confirmed that there are still plenty Xboxes to be had, as discovered by our valiant reporter Al Zamora, that went on reconnaissance today.
Talking with a store employee at the Time Square Toys”R”Us store we a learned that they have “easily a few hundred” units left. You can check a couple pictures below.
XboxOneToysRUs
XboxOneToysRUs (2)

separator
But we discovered something even more surprising by walking two avenues further, to the Midtown Manhattan Best Buy store in 5th avenue. There we were told that there are still “a lot” of units left for sale. This doesn’t mean that the Xbox Didn’t sell well, though, as the store was allocated 1500 units, and they have more stored in a truck.
The surprising part? When Al walked to the gaming aisle he was greeted by the sight of several rows of the sleek black-boxed Day One edition Xbox One units, as you can see below.
XboxOneDayOne
XboxOneDayOne (2)

separator
On the other hand, both stores reported having no PS4 units available for sale at all (even if they may be covertly stockpiling for Black Friday like Walmart is doing), but it’s hard to make a direct comparison, as the Best Buy clerk told us that they received less PS4 units than Xbox One boxes.
That said, if you live in New York and want an Xbox One right away, now you know where to go, especially if you don’t care much for green and want one of those lovely black Day One editions. You don’t even need to hurry too much, as there’s plenty left."

XboxOneDayOne.jpg

XboxOneToysRUs-2.jpg

XboxOneToysRUs.jpg

oh my O__O
Someone needs to investigate and debunk this news.

x-Lundz-x

Overall, it's just mind blowing to me that people are saying that Titanfall won't sell Xbox Ones. The only thing that would stop it from not doing it at this point are bad reviews across the board.

*There's a ton of hype for it from the gaming press -- the game swept next gen expo awards.

*I'm expecting MS to have major ads for it that only mention the Xbox One Console -- possibly even one during the Super Bowl due to their NFL partnership (who knows).

*Word of mouth seems to be good already; should only increase these next few months.

If Titanfall isn't on track to becoming a system seller then no (true) Xbox One or PS4 exclusive is either.

I don't doubt the game will be big, I doubt it's going to be this huge system seller for Xbox One and the answer is simple, I can get it on my 360. The game experience looks like it will be pretty much identical on the 360, the graphics don't scream next gen to me at all.

Do I want to play it? Absolutely. Do I want to go out and pay 500 dollars for new Xbox one to play it? Absolutely not. If they wanted it to be a system seller, it should have been on Xbox One only. If that was the case, I might have been swayed a little easier to invest in the system. I'm sure I'm not alone here.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't doubt the game will be big, I doubt it's going to be this huge system seller for Xbox One and the answer is simple, I can get it on my 360. The game experience looks like it will be pretty much identical on the 360, the graphics don't scream next gen to me at all.

You've played & seen the 360 version?

Wynnebeck

Banned
MS will turn Titan fall into this gen Gears, it's going to be huge, anyone that can't see that are deluding themselves. They did it with Halo, Gears now it'll be titan fall.

Edit : beaten

Yes, turn it into this generation's Gears yet it's still coming to PC and 360 at the same time? Plus the exclusive deal only covers Titanfall 1 and not 2? I'm not saying TF won't sell consoles, but anyone thinking this game is going to make the Xbone rise to heaven like the Trinity did for 3DS in Japan is sorely mistaken.

Do I want to play it? Absolutely. Do I want to go out and pay 500 dollars for new Xbox one to play it? Absolutely not. If they wanted it to be a system seller, it should have been on Xbox One only. If that was the case, I might have been swayed a little easier to invest in the system. I'm sure I'm not alone here.

I know I'll be buying the PC version and I own both the Xbox One and 360. All things considering Mechs have never been as popular with the general public... So I think it'll be a great seller, I just don't think it's going to hit Mass Effect levels.

x-Lundz-x

You've played and seen the Xbox One version?

Hint: You haven't, you've seen the PC version with an Xbox Controller.

As I said, if MS really wanted this to be some huge Xbone system seller, it should have been exclusive to one platform.

Sure but what news do you want debunking?

The new York story is shit or MS weren't quite being honest?

It would be in MS's best interest if this sort of thing were debunked in some way, they'll figure it out, (replacement boxes, pictures taken before it went on sale, etc) it really makes it seem like, at least in America, that it's not selling well/no demand in their former Homecourt..

Bgamer90

Banned
You've played and seen the Xbox One version?

Hint: You haven't, you've seen the PC version with an Xbox Controller.

Okay? How does that change what I said about the game being an Xbox One system seller?

As I said, if MS really wanted this to be some huge Xbone system seller, it should have been exclusive to one platform.

It would have caused it to be more of a system seller -- I agree but it's still on track to selling Xbox One'. The "waiting to get an Xbox One for Titanfall" line is just too popular for it not to happen.

As I said earlier, the game would have to get really bad reviews for it not to happen at this point.

Slair

Overall, it's just mind blowing to me that people are saying that Titanfall won't sell Xbox Ones. The only thing that would stop it from not doing it at this point are bad reviews across the board.

Assuming the core gameplay is the same, which it seems it would need to be to be titanfall:

Why did would people buy a PS2 an Xbox One for it after the Gamecube launched instead of on the xbox 360 even though the Gamecube was Xbox One is $350 less more and had has better looking multiplats?

It would be in MS's best interest if this sort of thing were debunked in some way, they'll figure it out, (replacement boxes, pictures taken before it went on sale, etc) it really makes it seem like, at least in America, that it's not selling well/no demand in their former Homecourt..

It is what it is, if the NY story is correct then no debunking needs doing...what your suggesting is effectively MS should fix this shit because it makes them look bad.... Really?

x-Lundz-x

Okay? How does that change what I said about the game being an Xbox One system seller?

It would have caused it to be more of a system seller -- I agree but it's still on track to selling Xbox One'. The "waiting to get an Xbox One for Titanfall" line is just too popular for it not to happen.

As I said earlier, the game would have to get really bad reviews for it not to happen at this point.

I'm not arguing against anything you are saying about the game being big, it's gonna to be big I agree. I just personally think it's not going to move these huge Xbox one numbers that I think MS was banking on when they signed the check to EA.

Would I like to play it on a next gen system sure. But there is really nothing about it that screams I HAVE to buy an Xbox one to play it when I can get basically the same thing on my 360.

Now, if MS releases a Kinect Free box along with Titanfall and can get the price to 349.99 then we can start talking. But I'm not dropping 500 to play it. That is my line of thinking, that there are plenty of people like myself who really want to play it, but not for the price MS is asking right now.

I don't think NPD give hardware numbers anymore.

How do we get the hardware numbers every month on GAF for the Monthly thread?

It is what it is, if the NY story is correct then no debunking needs doing...what your suggesting is effectively MS should fix this shit because it makes them look bad.... Really?

If you were head of PR for MS, and you had a way to make this story look like a lie, would you not?

"Its big business, this is the American way."

Pain

Banned
What kind of console war line of thinking is this?

So it was wrong for me to want to see Xbox Live grow back during the first half of the previous decade so that online console gaming became more popular/better? Even though I primarily played on my PS2?

Okay.
Uh.....no.
Do you think the millions of people who didn't own an Xbox cared whether or not it was successful? They were happy with their PS2.

Not saying we should wish for consoles for fail but we shouldn't ish for them not to fail either. If the console is a good alternative to the others, it will succeed. If it doesn't maybe there isn't a place for it.

Why did people buy a PS2 after the Gamecube launched even though the Gamecube was $100 less and had better looking multiplats?

Could it have been exclusive games and system features?

No! That can't be it!

Copy and paste what I said in another thread...

I find the overall view that one console having better looking multiplats automatically causes the competing console to be an "automatic flop" pretty funny -- especially when people use it when discussing the PS4.

And I say that because that line of thinking completely goes against the success of the past three Playstation consoles and therefore makes it ironic when people use it when talking about the PS4. Why was the Playstation brand huge these past almost two decades when the brand as a whole had worse looking multiplats for more than 17 years? It's because the brand had/has a ton of unique gaming content that went along side those (worse looking) multiplats.

Overall, the gaming content and features that both consoles have that won't be on the competitor console is going to matter the most. The Xbox 360 did have better looking multiplats but the majority of people bought multiplats on the Xbox 360 due to system features like Xbox Live -- not because the multipats looked better vs. the PS3.

When it comes to graphics, as long as a new console is a big step up from an (old) current gen console, most will be happy.

That's a terrible comparison though. Yes, there were some multiplats but the PS2 had a massive, massive library that couldn't be found on Gamecube. Not to mention the stigma surrounding Nintendo as "the kiddie console". That analogy makes absolutely no sense. In this case, the PS4 is stronger, cheaper, and Sony's first party is renown for their quality. Not to mention, the great majority of mulitplats can be found on both consoles except they'll look and run better on the cheaper option. Once the ball gets rolling, a single cross-gen game won't do much.

As for your second point, outside of the exclusive NFL stuff and the X1's HDMI In, both consoles will have mostly the same media streaming apps and services. What exactly makes the X1 so much better in that regard if you're not a big fan of American Football and TV? (I don't even own a cable box). I'm honestly trying to understand your point of view here but I'm not having much success.

Yes, Titanfall will move a few consoles, but then, will the average COD bro it's targeting really put down 600+ when they can just get it on their 360s? By the way you talk about it, I'm guessing you expect the 360 version to be somehow radically difference which I very much doubt is the case. It'll likely play exactly the same, with the only difference being the graphics quality (and if the X1 version IS 720p, there won't be much difference anyways).

UberTag

I don't think NPD give hardware numbers anymore.
We'll get from NPD whatever creamsugar allows us to get.
Unless Microsoft has him killed.
In which case the media will just tell us whatever Microsoft wants them to tell us.
At least as far as North America is concerned.

Dire

Uh.....no.
Do you think the millions of people who didn't own an Xbox cared whether or not it was successful? They were happy with their PS2.

Not saying we should wish for consoles for fail but we shouldn't ish for them not to fail either. If the console is a good alternative to the others, it will succeed. If it doesn't maybe there isn't a place for it.

I'd also agree with this to a degree. I think there are certain markets where it is consumer's best interest to hope for all companies do okay. These sort of markets are those where there are huge barriers to entry or limited interest of other/new companies of moving into said market. Video games, however, are not one of those markets. If Microsoft, for example, were to pull out of the console market there'd be a half dozen companies ready to fill that void. Heck they're already there trying to squeeze their way in anyhow.

Last generation I think Microsoft did exceptionally well with the 360 and I was thrilled for their success. This generation I think Microsoft is doing phenomenally poorly and I hope they fail, but there's a reason for this other than petty spite. If a company gets away with doing what Microsoft is doing:

=Negatively impacting the consumer experience in an attempt to increase profits - always online because we wanna make sure you're not a yarrrr yohoho

=Lying regarding system performance - the cloud makes it 400% faster!

=Coercing players into pay-to-win - hey come on, you know you don't wanna grind for 10 hours to unlock cars in Forza 5.. just pay us and we'll let you access the content you already paid for once.

=Lying to consumers regarding aforementioned pay-to-win. Please pick the "great deal" or "recommended" token packs. They're great deals.. otherwise we wouldn't claim they were... right..?

Then it's terrible for everybody. Most of those things taken individually probably do increase their profit or perception on a per-consumer basis. What I mean by that is that the average consumer who purchases Forza 5 is probably going to end up spending more money post-purchase on that game than the average consumer who purchased Forza 4. If Microsoft doesn't see a substantial drop in sales as a consequence of this sort of behavior then it is essentially encouraging other companies to start doing the same things.

I think Playstation is almost a perfect case study. Last generation to claim they started off hubristically would be putting it mildly. Their hardware was difficult for developers to utilize, their pricing was absurd, they misled in marketing, etc. And they went from having a worldwide strangehold on the market to tying for 2nd-3rd while substantially losing to the 360 in many major markets, including the largest one in the world. They learned from their mistakes and the PS4, so far, seems to be essentially built by and for gamers and developers from the ground up. If the PS3 did comparable to how the PS2 did - you can rest assured the PS4 would be nothing like the system we're seeing today. Failure is not a bad thing. It's a part of the cycle of improvement.

Prine

Banned
Why was gears of war hot in the first place? Do you even remember what systems it released on when it released on that fateful day?

Be serious, they aren't anywhere near equivalent, its wishful thinking on an absurd level.

Disagree, it's a fantastic shooter with a huge multiplayer following with MS marketing might behind it, it had all the right ingredients, Titan Fall is being treated the same, MS are almost obnoxious in their confidence with Titan Fall, they know it's special and we'll see why in March.

Yes, turn it into this generation's Gears yet it's still coming to PC and 360 at the same time? Plus the exclusive deal only covers Titanfall 1 and not 2? I'm not saying TF won't sell consoles, but anyone thinking this game is going to make the Xbone rise to heaven like the Trinity did for 3DS in Japan is sorely mistaken.

PC releases don't seem to impact consoles all that much, MS are and have always been happy to port their games over to that platform,
X360 isn't being handled by Respawn and I'm sure advertisement will be completely focused on Xbox One. If MS can strike a deal with titan fall 1 if this turns out to hit same levels as Gears there's nothing stopping them from doing the same.

Disagree, it's a fantastic shooter with a huge multiplayer following with MS marketing might behind it, it had all the right ingredients, Titan Fall is being treated the same, MS are almost obnoxious in their confidence with Titan Fall, they know it's special and we'll see why in March.

Except Gears was a complete 360 exclusive, it wasn't a cross-gen/PC title like Titanfall is.

Sean*O

I knew MS were full of shit on sold through 1 million, funny when people investigate and actually post photos and personal experiences checking stock at retail (and there have been MANY) some people want to claim a big conspiracy.

The only conspiracy, once again, is coming from Microsoft and their marketing machine.

It's almost a carbon copy of Sony's playbook at PS3 launch. It didn't work then and it's not going to work now.

Chobel

I knew MS were full of shit on sold through 1 million, funny when people investigate and actually post photos and personal experiences checking stock at retail (and there have been MANY) some people want to claim a big conspiracy.

The only conspiracy, once again, is coming from Microsoft and their marketing machine.

It's almost a carbon copy of Sony's playbook at PS3 launch. It didn't work then and it's not going to work now.

No need to jump to conclusions yet, there's the possibility that MS didn't include all NA numbers.

hold on. did something change? was it shipped and not sold? link?

Bgamer90

Banned
Uh.....no.

That's them.

That has nothing to do with why it was somehow wrong for me to want the competition to take off with its online gaming service.

I wanted it to happen because I was annoyed at the lack of unification when it came to playing games online on the PS2.

Pain

Banned
That's them.

That has nothing to do with why it was somehow wrong from me to want the competition take off with its online gaming service.

I wanted it to happen because I was annoyed at the lack of unification when it came to playing games online on the PS2.
It wasn't wrong of you to want that...

faridmon

just because you see the console in the wild, doesn't mean that they lied about the 1 million sold since maybe, just maybe, they shipped more than a million...

Striek

Am I missing something? Why does the fact that there may still be XB1s available in some stores mean MS didn't sell 1 million?

Yup, seems pretty simple.

You can sell a lot of product and still not sell out, not everything has to be a drama.

For instance, Gamestop/EBGames said Australia had the most Xbox One preorders (per capita or store, I guess), yet it hasn't sold out here at all and in fact we're probably one of the only countries where its still available online from Gamestops website.

Conclusion? They obviously shipped a lot.

Bgamer90

Banned
That's a terrible comparison though. Yes, there were some multiplats but the PS2 had a massive, massive library that couldn't be found on Gamecube. Not to mention the stigma surrounding Nintendo as "the kiddie console". That analogy makes absolutely no sense. In this case, the PS4 is stronger, cheaper, and Sony's first party is renown for their quality. Not to mention, the great majority of mulitplats can be found on both consoles except they'll look and run better on the cheaper option. Once the ball gets rolling, a single cross-gen game won't do much.

Haha, how doesn't it make sense? The GameCube was $100 dollars cheaper and had better looking multiplats than the PS2. Yet the majority of PS2 sales came after the GameCube launched. You asked why people would buy a console that's $100 more with worse looking multipats didn't you? So why doesn't it "fit"? Is it because it's an example that went against what you previously stayed and you don't want to admit it?

As for your second point, outside of the exclusive NFL stuff and the X1's HDMI In, both consoles will have mostly the same media streaming apps and services. What exactly makes the X1 so much better in that regard if you're not a big fan of American Football and TV? (I don't even own a cable box). I'm honestly trying to understand your point of view here but I'm not having much success.

Xbox Live, voice control features, controller preference, etc.

All of that can make a person want to get an Xbox over the PS4 alongside of the content that will be on the Xbox One that won't be on the PS4. Same is true for the vice verse (though replace Xbox Live with PSN).

Yes, Titanfall will move a few consoles, but then, will the average COD bro it's targeting really put down 600+ when they can just get it on their 360s? By the way you talk about it, I'm guessing you expect the 360 version to be somehow radically difference which I very much doubt is the case. It'll likely play exactly the same, with the only difference being the graphics quality (and if the X1 version IS 720p, there won't be much difference anyways).

If that "COD bro" was already considering getting an Xbox One then why not?

Wow... you guys are really going out of your way to downplay Titanfall. With the statements some of you guys are making, I can't see how any of you could think that any next gen exclusive game coming out during the 1st half of 2014 will be a big system seller.

I was Christmas shopping this weekend and I checked every store I went to out of curiosity. I didn't see one Xbox One or PS4 for sale.

Also.. why the heck is Knack a demo game? Talk about underwhelming. Maybe it was the TV.. but it looked mediocre for a last gen game.

The demos are stupid. It should be Killzone (a no blood version if they're worried about kids playing), Resogun, ACIV running dat 1080p/30, and FIFA for the sports folks.

Octodad and janky Contrast don't really resonate with the mainstream at all. Maybe keep Knack if they really want a "kids" game but ffs use a launch build.

Haha, how doesn't it make sense? The GameCube was $100 dollars cheaper and had better looking multiplats than the PS2. Yet the majority of PS2 sales came after the GameCube launched. You asked why people would buy a console that's $100 more with worse looking multipats didn't you? So why doesn't it "fit"? Is it because it's an example that went against what you previously stayed and you don't want to admit it?

Xbox Live, voice control features, controller preference, etc.

All of that can make a person want to get an Xbox over the PS4 alongside of the content that will be on the Xbox One that won't be on the PS4. Same is true for the vice verse (though replace Xbox Live with PSN).

If that "COD bro" was already considering getting an Xbox One then why not?

Wow... you guys are really going out of your way to downplay Titanfall. With the statements some of you guys are making, I can't see how any of you could think that any next gen exclusive game coming out during the 1st half of 2014 will be a big system seller.

Yes, dude, but the Gamecube and PS2 didn't share a lot of their library. The PS2 had a huge library of games that just wasn't on gamecube. The PS4 and X1 on the other hand, share pretty much every game outside of exclusives. Also, I'm not downplaying Titanfall's success, I'm saying it just won't have a massive system selling effect like you expect. If the COD bro is looking into next gen consoles, finds that the PS4 is cheaper, stronger, and that maybe their core gaming friends already have one, they may jump to that, especially if Titanfall will still be available on their 360s. You know what I mean?

The Ps2 to gamecub comparison does not work, it's not the same situation .

Alebrije

I put this image today at morning from my local Sams, went few hours ago and there were the same units , also on a videogame store called Gamers (national retailers) they had one stock in my local store. You can also find xbones at Liverpool and Fabricas de Francia (national retailers like Sears )

131125021530748006.jpg

it seems that in Mexico you can find it easily , I know Mexico is not the US but is a big market for videogames anyway. We had our "black friday" last week so people do not have much money now , also console price and local economy could be factors that affected preorders or launch sales.

Top Bottom