• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S sold 155k units in the UK (full allocation)

Because the Playstation brand is fucking huge. Nobody should ever be surprised at how dominant they are with sales. I expect PS5 will massively outsell XSX/S too, but as long as there are enough units sold to keep pushing MS then I’m happy.
In pure GamePass numbers, I expect MS to surpass Sony in a long run.

I don't know about the day the console went on sale here since MS allowed people to camp in the middle of a pandemic and flu season with cold temps but in the US but when it came to pre-orders they had far fewer available than Sony did for the PS5, there were also far more Series X models available than Series S.

Great Hair

Banned
That´s like 75,000 each or 50,000 to 100,000 in favor of the S.
With the pandemic going on, seems ok.

Would not surprise me if the Switch would outsell every console on the market. Oh boy, can not wait for Oliver Kahn´s take on it and his numbers i mean thread/onion.

Switch >> PS4, XB, XSS, XSX, PS5 NiNTENDA 4L!! [OT]

Old Empire.

That's not many! But was easier to get hold of than the PS5!

Series is sold out everywhere in the UK. The sold 155,000 here. Considering the stock shortages for the series MS wasn't lying about the launch. I have to wait for the second wave and wasn't given a timeline to get it from Gamestop. And i preordered in September.

Stuart360

Do people forget we have had a pandemic ravaged world for the lat 6 months?.
I'm sure they would of liked more stock, but it is what it is, and the important part is that they sold out of the stock they had.

Montauk

MS stock is tanking right now on the news that they sold out their entire day one stock in the UK.

Between that and what happened to Phil Spencer (tragic) things are looking pretty grim for MS.

Major_Key

perm warning for starting troll/bait threads
Lol 155k in 24 hours with limited stock isn't great start ?

I see lot people who want they new xbox but they couldn't.

Without covid shit it will be +200k in 48hours which is excellent after poor Xbox One generation.

I except PS5 beat PS4 btw.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Their UK stock sold out and ms didn’t even bother with 1st party launch games to support it, I call it a win (for ms, not for gamers)

TLZ

Banned
I read the thread and saw Xbone sold 150k and PS4 250k, but why so low? I thought these consoles would easily sell at least a million on launch day? My expectations were much higher.

Only 5K more is horrible. I expected them to come out swinging with at least 50K or more than last time. They've got a much more affordable box this time, no Kinect, a global pandemic that has boosted sales of consumer goods across the board, and most importantly, they don't have Don Mattrick Mattricking it up.

Now that I think about it, If these numbers are accurate then they would indicate that Don and his squad didn't have as much of a negative effect on the One's performance as we were led to believe, and that the lack of compelling software on Xbox could be the reason why their audience isn't growing by much. That would be a twist.

I think If the PS5 comes in with barely any growth as well then both of these machines are in for a rocky year (or two) ahead. Just can't see publishers and developers prioritizing next-gen if the installbase is a joke compared to current-gen.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Really surprised Microsoft only allocated 5K more units than Xbox One shipped/sold in 2 days in their second biggest market.

oldergamer

Look at how many regions xbox is available for purchase in. Its more regions then when xbox one was first released.

The fact they were able to supply more regions then sony did at launch + the fact the last console launch for PS4 and Xbox one they shipped far under 1 million units and both were severely supply constrained. I'm betting they sold more units this launch compared to last launch.

Czech is around 50k PS5 vs 14k Xboxes, so it seems like supply on Xbox part is really lacking. I know the distributor for consoles. Not that it matters in this small market, but it's interesting.

If the super small market of CZ already got 50k, I expect PS4 WW shipments to be 3m for the 2 launch weeks.

Admast79

Neo Member
155k consoles... And 0.. ZERO additional profit that they could have from selling Microsoft Complete protection plan (£39). because it is not available yet!

Can you imagine? Microsoft headquarter in UK basically give up on possible £6.000.000 income because they didn't make it ready when they know exactly when release date it.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If the super small market of CZ already got 50k, I expect PS4 WW shipments to be 3m for the 2 launch weeks.
Yeah pre-orders were 50k and those were sold out in around 12 hours. That 14k Xbox(es) is mainly XSX, since XSS was poured gradually in here and those consoles are still available. It's the biggest Xbox launch here so far, PS5 is same in amount as PS4.

For the record, around 5k Xbox One was sold until 31/12/2014, because we were Tier 2 country.

Also like other Slavic country, PC is absolut king here, so it's interesting. I pre-ordered fast my nVidia 3900RTX and still don't have it, so just a introspection.

Last edited:

Freeman76

They must really be having trouble building the things. Demand is there for sure, the whole world are bored lol

leo-j

I don't really see xbox series x doing better than xbox one..... the name being the issue imo, and the fact they are pushing gamepass on everything else also.

I can see them hit 35 million and that's it. X1 probably ended around 48 million.

I do expect ps5 to be in excess of 300,000 for its UK launch.

Sales threads don't get truly interesting until we see January/February numbers.
I think it will be later this time around.

Black Friday and Xmas are just around the corner. UK still in lockdown and may still be come January. Microsoft will be sending out as many units as possible to America. Brexit rolls around and could screw with stock.

I don't think stock will be normal until next Xmas. This could be a 'Wii' start to the generation for both Sony and Microsoft

Leyasu

Banned
- Wait for the new API
- Wait for e3
- Wait for?

Is this your new line of defense? Lmao

These numbers are terrible, should have been at least on par with Ps4.
Was they supposed to just wave the magic wand and make another 100k units roll off of the production line? you can't be serious..

yurinka

Guys, apparently Phil Spencer has killed himself after hearing these sales figures. RIP
If they sold out with higher numbers than in their previous consoles he hould be happy, specially if they do the same in the other important countries.

These PS4 UK launch numbers are the best ones in gaming history, so to outsell PS4 isn't something easy to achieve. They shouldn't feel bad if can't achieve it.

Same goes with the other European countries, specially considering they are Sony land. USA instead is Xbox land, so they may have a chance vs PS4 or at least to be closer.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Funny that Xbox One fans used the same limited stock claim when GFK announced 150k consoles in 2013.

What that means is that MS didn’t know spect Series X|S to sell better than Xbox One in UK.

Last edited:

Major_Key

perm warning for starting troll/bait threads
I don't really see xbox series x doing better than xbox one..... the name being the issue imo, and the fact they are pushing gamepass on everything else also.

I can see them hit 35 million and that's it. X1 probably ended around 48 million.

I do expect ps5 to be in excess of 300,000 for its UK launch.

I think XS S/X will easily surpass 50M. Especially if Starfield is exclusive & Game Pass continue to add recents third party.

I see too many peoples new to xbox.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Mo, it means we are 7 months into a global pandemic, and they provided as many units as they could.
Stop trying to turn everything into console warz.
Yeap exactly that lol

We will use the pandemic excuse if Sony sell way more than 250k, no?

ethomaz

Banned
I dont understand what you are getting at, are you trying to say the pandemic has had zero efect on the amount of consoles both Sony and Microsoft will be able to produce?
Yes. Sony and MS both said the pandemic has 0 impact in their shipments.

So why one company is shopping more and another the same to UK?

Last edited:
Top Bottom