• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S sold 155k units in the UK (full allocation)

ethomaz

Banned
lol ok. So microsoft what?, purposely held back stock from the UK, just so they could say 'we sold out'?.
Come on now.
Probably the MS/retail didn’t expect to sell more than Xbox One.
We can back to that talk next week with PS5 data to have more info.

I’m sure we will have data in Germany, France, Italy and Spain too... plus NPD late.

Last edited:

Major_Key

perm warning for starting troll/bait threads
Probably the MS/retail didn’t expect to sell more than Xbox One.
We can back to that talk next week with PS5 data to have more info.

I’m sure we will have data in Germany, France, Italy and Spain too... plus NPD late.

The most important things, is that the demand is here without big exclusives...

They will sell more XSX/XSS than Xbox One for November & December in UK.

The demand is much higher than XBO, if they could have produce 200-220k consoles at launch they will be sold out.

Switch sell only 80k at launch without big stock shortage in UK and look now how she killing it in UK.

Last edited:
They launched in something like 40 countries and had their most successful launch ever, that’s a good thing right?

Why does this seem to upset some people? I don’t get it

Quick guys, time to massively over-interpret this and declare that Xbox is doomed/PlayStation reigns supreme! Come on, I really want to see who can reach the most ridiculous conclusions in the shortest possible time.
Everyone on earth to own a PS5 in 3 months confirmed!

leo-j

I think XS S/X will easily surpass 50M. Especially if Starfield is exclusive & Game Pass continue to add recents third party.

I see too many peoples new to xbox.

I disagree, the console sold 155,000 despite starting $200 cheaper than the xbox one. The argument that it is sold out is a valid one, but why would they not ship more than 155k? That makes no sense if the demand is there.

They launched in something like 40 countries and had their most successful launch ever, that’s a good thing right?

Why does this seem to upset some people? I don’t get it

They want playstation to have a monopoly like the ps2 good old days. Sorry Sony, Microsoft is improving and have more capital to keep investing.

Kokoloko85

Like Ive said, Xbox isnt selling past 60million units worldwide ever again.
360 will be the highest selling and even then it didnt sell as much as Playstations worse selling console.

WakeTheWolf

They definitely should have allocated more than 155k. I know that isn't a bad number but the demand is definitely much higher.

Major_Key

perm warning for starting troll/bait threads
I disagree, the console sold 155,000 despite starting $200 cheaper than the xbox one. The argument that it is sold out is a valid one, but why would they not ship more than 155k? That makes no sense if the demand is there.

Yup true, but I don't think we will have the answer until March.

We know that Sony want 15M PS5 produce at the end of March.

If Xbox can manage to have +10M XSX/XSS produce at the end of march I think they will sell +60M.

The launch is nothing look at the 360 (bad launch but great success).

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
There’s going to be plenty of disappointed people this Xmas no matter what box you desire.

It’s a shame since the hype for this new gen is huge.
Not surprising since both have done a great job.

Butch_0451

It's too early to tell, we would need to track the numbers over a longer period of time to measure the sales performance considering the stock level issues. I do think that the units sold will be consistently higher for a while.

Last edited:
I doubt MS will ever reach 360 levels of success again in terms of console numbers. They really ruined their brand with the Xbox One.

Myself and lots of others switched to the PS4 and most eople I know are sticking with it. I myself switched back to xbox with series x (gamepass and bathesda won't me back) but most of my friends are staying with the PS.

Iced Arcade

that's pretty damn good during a global pandemic. good to see it's not hurting MS or Sony.

man some of you need to form a crew and come up with gang signs the way you flock to xbox threads. the CCC "constant concern crew" has a nice ring

ZehDon

The spin on display in this thread is wild.

Reality: Microsoft sold every console they made. They’re sold out everywhere and back ordered well into next year.
NeoGAF: “Oh man, that’s a bad start, doesn’t look good for Microsoft at all.”

Clown world up in here. Microsoft launched in more countries around the world than ever before, but their launch production likely wouldn’t have been that much larger than the Xbone. Why would they - the Xbone’s lifetime sales are half of the PS4, and they have a ways to go before the Xbox brand is as strong as it once was. With the Series X, they have an amazing piece of hardware to do make that happen with.
They’ll continue to push consoles into the market and they’ll continue to sell.
From a day-one perspective, it couldn’t have gone better.

It’s a given PS5 will outsell the Xbox we all know that but MS will be strong this generation
I know I'm probably going to get laughed at, but MS already won with "teh cloud". That is where we are all heading eventually if we look at all the market trends. Sony even knows this and made deals with Microsoft already for Azure servers.

Yes. Sony and MS both said the pandemic has 0 impact in their shipments.

So why one company is shopping more and another the same to UK?
Don't be that guy. Shipment and production are two different things.

Microsoft does well in the UK so sending more units abroad is a good idea vs sending them to the UK. There's also a chance they're holding units in a European Distribution centre, waiting to send them to the places that need them most.

Sony will do the same.

sixamp

If ms allotted 150k and they sold through that then it was a success. You can't compare xbox one/ps4 #'s since they weren't affected by a global pandemic. If ms was only able to make that many for the UK due to Covid and production limits I wonder how many sony was able to make and sell there. Not that it really matters since selling your entire stock is a good thing and I'm sure ps5 sold out of theirs

Last edited:

sixamp

150K doesn't sound impressive in the least.
The number may not sound impressive but that's all they planned on selling so they accomplished what they set out to do. It's not like they planned to sell 1million and only sold 155k.

Much more successful than the one launch...these were readily available at launch

series x is a different story...can’t get hold of a console anywhere unless you want to pay scalpers rates

Evilms

Banned

Sans_titre.jpg

mcjmetroid

It's waaaaayyy to early to tell.

The wild cards for Xbox is going to be 2 things ( and it ain't games yet)

Gamepass
Series S

I think the early 2 years are going to favour the ps5 though.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I read the thread and saw Xbone sold 150k and PS4 250k, but why so low? I thought these consoles would easily sell at least a million on launch day? My expectations were much higher.

that’s one country not global sales

phil_t98

#SonyToo
They definitely should have allocated more than 155k. I know that isn't a bad number but the demand is definitely much higher.

by not putting at as many as needed they create demand. Not saying this is what happend here but company’s do it all the time, create a stock shortage and keep demand high. Ps5 ain’t out in uk for about her week yet

Top Bottom