• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Breath of the Wild will seemingly have dual audio [Up: Nope]

JayEH

People talking about superior Japanese Zelda.

But its the narration that was the bigger difference for me.
https://youtu.be/bPOIlHxvJeI?t=1m15s
https://youtu.be/zw47_q9wbBE?t=1m15s

Theres something magical about old japanese people talking.

Yeah I was more impressed by this than Zelda. It almost sounds like the english old lady is just a middle aged woman trying to emulate an old woman.

Then the japanese dub is the "best" - the original one, because it fits the creator's idea of the character. As in, that's how Bayonetta speaks.
On to the next one

pretty sure Kamiya considers the English the original or intended voices. I know for a fact he felt that way about Dante in DMC (thus why there is only english in that game) and I remember an interview of him saying something similar about Bayo.

Hypron

pretty sure Kamiya considers the English the original or intended voices. I know for a fact he felt that way about Dante in DMC (thus why there is only english in that game) and I remember an interview of him saying something similar about Bayo.

Yeah. I mean, the fact that the game didn't release with a Japanese dub at first should give you a hint as to what the author's intention was.

DeSolos

I just want to know if I can get the game in English in Japan(where I currently live)? My Japanese isn't good enough to read dialogue.

Ideally I'd like to be able to have an American eshop account as well for English game purchases like I do on PS4.

hwy_61

Banned
Yes but how do we know that? That scene has no context as of yet we don't yet know how she should sound.

Honestly Japanese and English dubs are two extremes. Neither is good. JP is too much and EN is too subdued. If I had to pick one it'd be English because I can at least spin that one different ways. However I think it's too early to call one or the other trash based on a 3 minute trailer.

Fair enough. Hell, we don't even know if that crying part goes with that specific scene! My personal preference for dubs tend to be non English speaking though.

watershed

Banned
I hope so but I'll wait for official confirmation. I'd do JP audio if the English sounds like they cast a bunch of anime voice actors. The style seems very similar.

Mokiki

Neo Member
If true that is indeed great news. Let's just hope that the Japanese dub is also available in the EU version. Would hate to see it being removed because they have to fit more languages in there. :(

Neoxon

I hope so but I'll wait for official confirmation. I'd do JP audio if the English sounds like they cast a bunch of anime voice actors. The style seems very similar.
Considering that NoA usually goes cheap when it comes to hiring voice actors (with a few exceptions, such as Kid Icarus: Uprising since Sakurai wanted a Saturday morning cartoon feel with the voice acting), I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything beyond the recent string of non-union anime VAs (with the odd unionized VA like Kyle Hebert who's down for basically any role he enjoys). We may get Laura Bailey if we're lucky, but she likely has other stuff to do (I'm shocked that she came back to voice Chun-Li in SFV).

Busaiku

Considering that NoA usually goes cheap when it comes to hiring voice actors (with a few exceptions, such as Kid Icarus: Uprising since Sakurai wanted a Saturday morning cartoon feel with the voice acting), I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything beyond the recent string of anime VAs. We may get Laura Bailey if we're lucky, but she likely has other stuff to do (I'm shocked that she came back to voice Chun-Li in SFV).
You realize Laura Bailey, Troy Baker, etc were anime VAs.

Neoxon

You realize Laura Bailey, Troy Baker, etc were anime VAs.
Were, past tense. They mostly do big-budget unionized jobs, now (hence my surprise at Laura voicing Chun-Li again in SFV). You're right in that every VA starts somewhere, but I'm talking about right now.

Busaiku

Were, past tense. They mostly do big-budget unionized jobs, now (hence my surprise at Laura voicing Chun-Li again in SFV). You're right in that every VA starts somewhere, but I'm talking about right now.
I would assume many of the other popular anime VAs in CA are in the same/similar unions, they just never had their big breakout moments.

PtM

Banned
Well, I mean, asking for English voices in a Nintendo game is nothing special, it's always there, even in european copies...

Are you allergic to foreign languages or something?
Long version: I prefer the English crying, but if she's always down like that, or I grow generally tired of the voice work, I'd like to have my peace and quiet.
I didn't ask for this.

Alpha_eX

A Nintendo 'Rep' also told me it ran at 60fps on the tablet too. The staff at these events were just regular event staffed and not briefed on the details of the games or console other than what they needed to know to demo it.

It's pretty bad they let these event staff spew their own misinterpreted information at press events.

I don't believe this is true.

The number of Nintendo games where the cast consisted of typical anime/game dub VAs is pretty small. Fire Emblem Awakening and Xenoblade X (both JRPGs). And that's pretty good since they've had relatively few AAA-style games like this where splurging on an impressive cast would be expected.

Fire Emblem: Fates was non-union and had tons of people who aren't the typical anime/game dub voice actor. The fact that I don't recognize any of the English voices in the trailer is a pretty decent sign that this game isn't going to sound as samey as the typical JRPG.

Neoxon

The number of Nintendo games where the cast consisted of typical anime/game dub VAs is pretty small. Fire Emblem Awakening and Xenoblade X (both JRPGs). And that's pretty good since they've had relatively few AAA-style games like this where splurging on an impressive cast would be expected.

Fire Emblem: Fates was non-union and had tons of people who aren't the typical anime/game dub voice actor. The fact that I don't recognize any of the English voices in the trailer is a pretty decent sign that this game isn't going to sound as samey as the typical JRPG.
Good point, that is a good start. Perhaps NoA is taking a chance on some new talent.

Busaiku

Fire Emblem has tons of VAs from the typical anime/RPG.
Yuri Lowenthall, Stephanie Sheh, Kaiji Tang, Liam O'Brien, Matthew Mercer, Julie Ann Taylor, and so on.

Fire Emblem has tons of VAs from the typical anime/RPG.
Yuri Lowenthall, Stephanie Sheh, Kaiji Tang, Liam O'Brien, Matthew Mercer, Julie Ann Taylor, and so on.

I'm not saying it didn't. I'm saying in addition to them, the cast also contained plenty of people who don't usually do anime/JRPGs. Imari Williams, David Stanbra, Cam Clarke, Roger Rose, Paula Tiso, Paul Eiding, Elizabeth Daily, and others. Being able to mix things up like that made its dub feel fresh.

If Kris Zimmerman is doing BOTW then its dub is in good hands.

Anteo

I remember watching the spanish dub trailer, and a Nintendo representative from the youtube channel posted a comment saying like "We've seen plenty of people complaining about the way 'Hyrule' is pronounced 'Irule' but we've received confirmation from the dub team that after discussion with others and instructions from Nintendo, that 'Irule' is the proper and official way to say it in Spanish'

The issue is if you're going to dub it you can't leave english sounding words like 'Hai-rool' in the dub. It'd be awkward and jarring to have them all of a sudden go 'Bueno Link, ya que acabaste de matar a todos los ciudadanos de HAI-ROOL vamos a tomar un vasito de leche'

And I guess they saw the way it was spelled and translated as closely as possible to a spanish equivalent. Silent H, 'EE' sound for Y/I.

Unless something have changed recently they are not oficial, they are just fans. Back in the early 3ds days I meet some of them when they were doing big 3ds meetups. Cool guys really, checking the page seems like they are still the same group. I would not be surprised that their info is correct however.

aza

Damn, that sounded great. I'm so used to cheese thanks to my family always having novelas on. I kinda wanna play it in Latin Spanish now.

Same

Never played a game dubbed in Spanish before. I think this'll be my first

edit: on the topic of Jairul vs Irule, I've never actually delved in Spanish-language conversation about the series and so I didn't even notice the "wrong" pronunciation. Irule is my first exposure to its Spanish pronunciation and sounds fine to my ears

Abelard

Wait, is the game fully voiced or does it do that thing in Infinity Engine RPGs where a few lines are voices but the rest is text?

Pezking

Since there are two spanish versions...what are the chances of there being both and an american and a british english version?

Like with the Layton games?

Metroxed

Since there are two spanish versions...what are the chances of there being both and an american and a british english version?

Like with the Layton games?

But is it common practice to have two versions, one in British English and one in American English in general?

Because it definitely is so in Spanish; films, series, documentaries, books, everything has two different versions for each region as a standard, sometimes even software too. Video games have been the great exception until recently.

Zuzzissm0

Ugh, hopefully I'm not forced to play through the game in German.
hab ich auch absolut keine lust drauf

Nice.

I don't know German, but based on crying scene perfomance score I'll be playing German Zelda.

dont do it it was awful. german vo always sucks. and imo the japanese zelda is the same level. why does japanese girls always cry like they get raped.

i hope the pal version is the same version for all in europe

Unless something have changed recently they are not oficial, they are just fans. Back in the early 3ds days I meet some of them when they were doing big 3ds meetups. Cool guys really, checking the page seems like they are still the same group. I would not be surprised that their info is correct however.
whoops must've misread the game channel haha

regardless, seems like they're correct assuming they got their info from VAs. Makes complete sense too.

AlucardGV

Banned
Is it really happening?

looks like it's not happening

spoiler at the end of the article

http://pt.ign.com/the-legend-of-zel...-nao-vamos-poder-jogar-com-as-vozes-originais

Quando questionamos o produtor Eiji Aonuma sobre se um jogador europeu seria capaz de jogar The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild com as vozes em japonês, este respondeu que essa opção não estaria no jogo, e que a única possibilidade seria a alteração da língua da própria consola, o que iria alterar também a linguagem usada nos menus e respetivo texto de jogo:

i don't speak portoguese but i can get that the only way to have japanese voice is to turn the console to japanese, but then the whole game becomes japanese. ugh

BY2K

Membero Americo
looks like it's not happening

http://pt.ign.com/the-legend-of-zel...-nao-vamos-poder-jogar-com-as-vozes-originais

i don't speak portoguese but i can get that the only way to have japanese voice is to turn the console to japanese, but then the whole game becomes japanese. ugh

Alright, who do I punch for this?

EDIT: Actually it says the Nintendo rep couldn't confirm if it was possible to change the voice language without changing the text language, but this if off google translate so I'm not 100% sure.

EDIT: But Aonuma says it won't be possible unless you change the system's language.

Top Bottom