• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Breath of the Wild will seemingly have dual audio [Up: Nope]

AlucardGV

Banned
Really odd decision to have game's language ties to system language without providing option to change.

it happens in lots of other games, the default language is set to your console; bloodborne for example ( i don't remember if you can change that ingame tho).

oti

Banned
Really odd decision to have game's language ties to system language without providing option to change.

It makes zero sense. Pokémon lets you choose between a ton of languages at the beginning of the game. Why can't Zelda?

Well, I'm glad I like what I've heard from the German dub so far.

looks like it's not happening

spoiler at the end of the article

http://pt.ign.com/the-legend-of-zel...-nao-vamos-poder-jogar-com-as-vozes-originais

i don't speak portoguese but i can get that the only way to have japanese voice is to turn the console to japanese, but then the whole game becomes japanese. ugh

Well hopefully

A) All Switch systems get the same language options (instead of being restricted by region as the Wii U and 3DS were)
B) Every region's version of BOTW is identical

Because that'd be the one situation that would make a complete set of language options possible, if I'm getting this right.

I knew you couldn't change the language
The same with star fox zero
Typical Nintendo ....

same with overwatch I hate when you can't change the language without changing the system language

Mr-Joker

Banned
looks like it's not happening

spoiler at the end of the article

http://pt.ign.com/the-legend-of-zel...-nao-vamos-poder-jogar-com-as-vozes-originais

i don't speak portoguese but i can get that the only way to have japanese voice is to turn the console to japanese, but then the whole game becomes japanese. ugh

Oh for fsss stake, I was willing to accept voice acting if it wasn't the awful English one...I suppose there won't be an option to disable it either and I will have to resort to hitting the mute button and miss out on 100% of the sound than just the voice. ¬_¬;

Neoxon

Oh for fsss stake, I was willing to accept voice acting if it wasn't the awful English one...I suppose there won't be an option to disable it either and I will have to resort to hitting the mute button and miss out on 100% of the sound than just the voice. ¬_¬;
The English voice acting isn't that bad.

How exactly is that a Nintendo thing?

Because in every game made by Nintendo with voice acting I couldn't change the language without changing the systems language.

But many games created by third parties, ms or Sony let me do it . I know not every game lets you do it but with big N you can never do it

JayEH

I didn't have my hopes high even after reading this thread and I wasn't expecting at all to be honest. Nintendo hasn't been good with language options lately. I would have preferred Japanese but I'll live.

Thank god. Wasn't feeling that english dub at all.

might want to look back a page...

brad-t

Come on. I would've used Japanese if it was an option too, but the handful of dubbing we've heard isn't anything approaching "awful."

Because in every game made by Nintendo with voice acting I couldn't change the language without changing the systems language.

But many games created by third parties, ms or Sony let me do it . I know not every game lets you do it but with big N you can never do it

You could with Fire Emblem Awakening but that is more of an outlier.

Do I play through in a language I'm fully fluent in with atrocious voice acting, or play through in a language I'm not fluent in with quality voice acting?

The very fact I have to ponder this...

Nintendo need to get with the times and start offering dual audio more where possible.

Nanashrew

Banned
I don't put much stock in what representatives say, as they don't have the clearance to know such higher level information.

But the dubs don't sound bad.

LordCanti

So if I play with a Japanese region account I can get the Japanese voice track? Obviously without the English subtitles. Does Nintendo ever do an Asia region release with Japanese audio and Eng subs?

It's unfortunate that we're still having these issues.

You could with Fire Emblem Awakening but that is more of an outlier.

Yes but you could do it because you only had English and Japanese voices.
When there is a game with German voice acting you can only change it to English when you change your whole system language

Do I play through in a language I'm fully fluent in with atrocious voice acting, or play through in a language I'm not fluent in with quality voice acting?

I feel knowing exactly what they're talking about makes you feel needlessly critical on the voice acting in english, it's a good dub.

I feel knowing exactly what they're talking about makes you feel needlessly critical on the voice acting in english, it's a good dub.

Different strokes for different folks.

To me the English dub is ill-fitting from the start, and is nowhere near the quality of the original Japanese.

Boo that there's no in-game option. Even the first Xenoblade was able to manage that. Lame.

I guess that means the Wii U version's language options will be restricted by region as well. (i.e. NA only gets English/French/Spanish/Portuguese)

BY2K

Membero Americo

Nintendo need to get with the times and start offering dual audio more where possible.

How the hell do you know the Japanese dub is good quality if you don't understand the language?

Nanashrew

Banned
You really won't know how high or low quality a dub is if you don't know the language. There are mediocre JP dubs out there but people will like them just because more ~EMOTION~ is shown not realizing how bad some are.

You could be trading one "atrocious" dub with another and not realize it.

atrocious voice acting...... is this a joke post?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Which subbed animes should I watch to learn Japanese before March 3rd?

Effect

How the hell do you know the Japanese dub is good quality if you don't understand the language?

Seriously. This is one thing I can't stand about people that bash English dubs. Yes a dub can be bad but it's usually a very overt type of bad. However to say it's bad because it doesn't have the same voice inflection that the Japanese dub has is crazy and that's mainly where this issue with the English dub seems to be coming from. First people have no clue if the Japanese voice work is even appropriate for the scene or the character up to that point. Then there is the issue of people sound different when they're happy, crying etc. It might very well be super unnatural for the English voice actress to even attempt to sound like the Japanese actress because their voices are so different. People need to stop this BS. I hate when this comes up in either games or anime.

Seriously. This is one thing I can't stand about people that bash English dubs. Yes a dub can be bad but it's usually a very overt type of bad. However to say it's bad because it doesn't have the same voice inflection that the Japanese dub has is crazy and that's mainly where this issue with the English dub seems to be coming from. First people have no clue if the Japanese voice work is even appropriate for the scene or the character up to that point. Then there is the issue of people sound different when they're happy, crying etc. It might very well be super unnatural for the English voice actress to even attempt to sound like the Japanese actress because their voices are so different. People need to stop this BS. I hate when this comes up in either games or anime.

Ignorance is bliss. If you don't know that the voice acting is bad in a non-native language then that's better than *knowing* that the voicing acting is bad in your native language.

At least, that's the way I see it.

Top Bottom