• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda game set in Link to the Past world coming to the 3DS, holiday 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meikiyou

Ambassadors got Minish Cap as one of the GBA VC games.

Yup, but not everyone.

Nintendo is too smart, they will release Alttp to the VC just months before the release of alttp2 so people can get the game for the hype, while it's almost money they receive for a game already made lol.

Skilletor

So we have Zelda: OoT remake, GBA Zelda games, NES zelda games, SNES zelda games, DS Zelda games, possibly MM remake, Lttp sequel and an all new 3DS zelda.This is slowly becoming a Zelda fan's definitve game system.

Are SNES games going to come to 3DS?

Any info on this? Timeframe?

GulAtiCa

Yup, but not everyone.

Nintendo is too smart, they will release Alttp to the VC just months before the release of alttp2 so people can get the game for the hype, while it's almost money they receive for a game already made lol.

They will release a LTTP 3D CLassic. Believe!

Lunar15

Listening to the Sessler interview, sounds like it will be the same overworld.

I'm okay with this, but I would have preferred something new. It does sound like they'll try to throw in some new things that use the new mechanics and play with your nostalgia a bit.

Meikiyou

I'm really interested to see how they will use characters like Beedle, Tingle, or others in this game, or if they will be excluded, they are too strongly rooted in the series to be left out.

noffles

Banned
I'm really interested to see how they will use characters like Beedle, Tingle, or others in this game, or if they will be excluded, they are too strongly rooted in the series to be left out.

They're not strongly rooted in it at all. Twilight Princess had none of them.

Shabutaro

The url is on the bottom right of the image. He's been around years. Probably the very best videogame webcomic of all time IMO.

Well dang. I guess I should have checked that picture more thorughly lol. I coudl have sworn i didn't see anything.

Ill have to look into him. Ive been looking for a good webcomic

Neiteio

He's mentioned it many times before in interviews with a variety of sources. Here's him on Jimmy Fallon two years ago with a pretty convincing sounding personal story about it.
Ah, thanks for this :)

Also, look: I'm excited for this game because it's been a decent amount of time since a good ol' top down zelda. But I definitely want new things, constantly. If nintendo turns this into a NSMB style "let's pump one of these suckers out before every investor report", I'll be pretty upset. I don't think too many people were hating on on NSMB when it was announced; a lot of the hate came when they milked the series.
I'm fairly optimistic about this game vs. the NSMB series. The NSMB struck me as soulless back on the DS, in large part because it was using the stock render of Mario seen in all of the CGI for the spinoffs, etc. Zelda 3DS, if nothing else, at least has an all-original look for Link, etc, and the environment, while based on ALttP, feels fresh in polygonal graphics and autostereoscopic 3D. Not to mention that the focus on polygonal/autostereoscopic 3D is making for fundamentally different puzzles that better utilize height and depth, and there's the whole viewpoint-switching dynamic thanks to the wall-painting mechanic. All of this should make for a unique experience, even before they factor in the narrative.

Persona86

Banned
So we have Zelda: OoT remake, GBA Zelda games, NES zelda games, SNES zelda games, DS Zelda games, possibly MM remake, Lttp sequel and an all new 3DS zelda.This is slowly becoming a Zelda fan's definitve game system.

Wait am I missing something? Or are you saying it's inevitable that there will be another 3DS Zelda?

If they make a proper original 3D world similar to OOT/MM after LTTP2 then everyone will be satisfied, the best of both worlds. Perfection achieved.

BasilZero

Looks great although I still like the sprite based visual design of the first game :O.

I just hope it doesnt play entirely like the NDS zeldas.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Are there really entirely separate teams though? Didn't most of the Spirit Tracks design staff work on Skyward Sword too? :p

The main differentiator are the core teams behind the projects. As management has explained, the basis of these projects are small core teams developing them. Then once they get a green-light, a general production staff circles them and puts the project into main production. Technically staff will overlap, between games and even different EAD groups. But usually the core leads are unique.

Often cool ideas and mechanics become "stuffed" as mini-games or concepts into Mario, Zelda, Wii Play etc. Before they would try to design unique characters with them, I don't think they bother anymore. They know what Miyamoto is going to do.

noffles

Banned
I think exactly the opposite, it's too much of a standalone Zelda, while recycling ideas already used.

Ehhh, I've got no problems with it. Twilight Princess was an incredible game up until the mirror fetch started. Just fell over itself with some pretty bad dungeon design at that point.

Why can't they give it a new subtitle? Majora's Mask wasn't know as Ocarina of Time 2, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks weren't Wind Waker 2 and 3 respectively.

Hell, Link's Awakening wasn't even called a Link to the Past 2.

Because it's a work in progress? It's simply called "The Legend of Zelda" in EU/NA. No doubt it'll be "The Legend of Zelda: Mystical Object of a Particular Noun", as if a title ever meant anything.

Why can't they give it a new subtitle? Majora's Mask wasn't know as Ocarina of Time 2, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks weren't Wind Waker 2 and 3 respectively.

It's not going to be called ALttP 2. Bill Trinnen confirmed that the game doesn't have an official subtitle yet in the Sessler interview that was posted.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Beca

use it's a work in progress? It's simply called "The Legend of Zelda" in EU/NA. No doubt it'll be "The Legend of Zelda: Mystical Object of a Particular Noun", as if a title ever meant anything.
I was responding to the guy saying it should be called a link to the past 2. I should really learn to quote every time.

Good to hear it won't have such a lazy name.

Haunted

None of them were in the original, so I don't expect them to be there at all.

Linkhero1

Since this game possibly takes place at a different time, I'm hoping there are major differences in the overworld. I wouldn't mind if some of it were the same, but I would like to go through new towns and areas.

Zeroth

Yup, but not everyone.

LttP is a SNES title, a console that hasn't been ported to the 3DS VC yet. I suppose they could do a VC of the GBA version, but GBA games were only released to Ambassador 3DSs, and Nintendo didn't seem too keen on porting GBA games in the future (yes, I know, they hate money).

Since this game possibly takes place at a different time, I'm hoping there are major differences in the overworld. I wouldn't mind if some of it were the same, but I would like to go through new towns and areas.

The interview with Trinen said that the new 2d art move will unlock whole new sections of the overworld and change how you explore the existing overworld as well. So there will definitely be more at least.

(edit) Zeroth: You know there is a Wii U right? Also the Wii version is out and they could easily do a club nintendo special for it as well.

Linkhero1

The interview with Trinen said that the new 2d art move will unlock whole new sections of the overworld and change how you explore the existing overworld as well. So there will definitely be more at least.

Sweet. I haven't checked out the interview so I missed this piece of information. I still would like to see some of the towns and areas altered a bit due to time, if it takes place at a different time.

Fireblend

Banned

Why should any of those appear in the game when ALttP already has the best supporting character in the whole series?

Maple.png

They better give Maple something to do in this game other than shopkeeping. She was awesome in the Oracle games.

Nilaul

(edit) Zeroth: You know there is a Wii U right? Also the Wii version is out and they could easily do a club nintendo special for it as well.

It would be interesting if they dump the dark world... and instead have an oracle of ages mechanic where you go back in time wherever you want and freely. Perhaps at the end you have to trigger links past quest by killing his uncle?

Gambit

Why are we even debating this? The title needs to be A Link to the Present.

(probably been mentioned before in this rather large thread)

Meikiyou

Why should any of those appear in the game when ALttP already has the best supporting character in the whole series?

Maple.png

They better give Maple something to do in this game other than shopkeeping. She was awesome in the Oracle games.
Didn't noticed that maple was the shopkeeper :C
None of them were in the original, so I don't expect them to be there at all.
That's why I'm curious, will they use the characters from modern Zelda, or make it a sequel with no cutscenes, no rich mythology, etc. I doubt this game won't have the nowadays mythology inserted in it in some way.

Maedhros

I love how some people think that everyone should love every new Zelda released... people have different opinions? Holy shit, who would've thought?

Lot's of people don't like the new cheap/plastic artstyle. Will this ruin the game? I doubt it. It does looks fugly, don't matter if you're looking at 3DS or not.

zruben

Banned
damn, I want this game so much...

since yesterday, every time I'm plying with my 3ds I'm like "why I'm not playing zelda?" :(

Anth0ny

I think it'll get it's own unique subtitle soon enough. Link to the Past 2 is silly. As you mentioned, besides Zelda II, a direct sequel has never been numbered. Don't see why they'd start now.

damn, I want this game so much...

since yesterday, every time I'm plying with my 3ds I'm like "why I'm not playing zelda?" :(

I know what you mean. Having a trailer on there loaded up is almost cruel. I'm so glad this is coming out in 8 months, the last 3DS game I wanted this much was Animal Crossing, that was announced 3 years ago and I still don't have it in my mitts...

Lot's of people don't like the new cheap/plastic artstyle. Will this ruin the game? I doubt it. It does looks fugly, don't matter if you're looking at 3DS or not.

But when people are complaining it looks jaggy blown up on a PC monitor, they really, really are wrong though.

stktt

Banned
I love how some people think that everyone should love every new Zelda released... people have different opinions? Holy shit, who would've thought?

I think it looks great, especially in 3D.

somewhere a guy still desperately holding onto his 20 page thesis that Four Swords Adventures is a direct sequel to LttP (despite what those hacks at Nintendo say with their "official" timeline) is howling in despair

GavinGT

Banned
It's not their "new default art style" (wtf does that even mean?), it's ALttP's art style. The only real difference is they tried to make Link look like the NES/SNES character art.

I'm just saying that a lot of their recent games seem to share coherent art styles, or at least they have certain prominent visual characteristics in common.

You're free to disagree, but it's what my eyes tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom