• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombi - Pure Survival Horror is coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC [ZombiU Port]

Just finished this now and goddamn it. I don't want to play easy mode. It's going to be brutal enough trying to get through survivor.

Damn this game is good though. I hope this does well enough for Ubi to consider doing something with the IP.

I am running through survival now...I just got the
first book for the scientist
Zombies definitely hit harder, but so far there hasnt been anything crazy. I have been using the cricket bat on everything...I think I missed the shovel, I dont remember where I grabbed it the first playthrough. I havent been able to test it yet, but I would assume that if there is a part where u are about to die you could just close the game without it autosaving or whatever. Like immediately as you go down, close application. It might let u continue from the last time u saved if u are quick enough

Edit: shit, doesnt work. You would have to do it right before you go down

antitrop

Done with Buckingham Palace and loving the SHIT out of this!

Game is pretty easy on Normal, though. Will definitely be tackling Survivor later.

Barakov

Gold Member
I think I missed the first backpack upgrade and likely the shovel, too. I did find the nailed bat, though.

Yikes. The first backpack upgrade seems pretty obvious.
It's in Buckingham palace in the side room with the big red button
. I heard the second upgrade it a bit more difficult to find, though.

DukeBobby

Im about halfway into U version. Plan to start again soon. Brehs, stick to U or wait for Steam Sale?

It depends on how much you care about a higher resolution and framerate.

Personally, I really enjoyed the multiplayer and social features in the Wii U version, so I still prefer that version overall.

Yikes. The first backpack upgrade seems pretty obvious.
It's in Buckingham palace in the side room with the big red button
. I heard the second upgrade it a bit more difficult to find, though.

My memory is shit, but I play so many games it's tough to remember these things. I'm bad with movie quotes/sometimes events in movies, too.

I'm not sure if I still have a book to find in that area, so maybe I didn't miss it. I read it's part of that quest.

Anung

Un Rama
I am running through survival now...I just got the
first book for the scientist
Zombies definitely hit harder, but so far there hasnt been anything crazy. I have been using the cricket bat on everything...I think I missed the shovel, I dont remember where I grabbed it the first playthrough. I havent been able to test it yet, but I would assume that if there is a part where u are about to die you could just close the game without it autosaving or whatever. Like immediately as you go down, close application. It might let u continue from the last time u saved if u are quick enough

Edit: shit, doesnt work. You would have to do it right before you go down

I'll just be uploading a save to the cloud and using that if I die. Should make Survivor mode doable.

Playing through survival again. The
Sniper that protects u as u run to the tower shot an explosive barrel near me and killed me.
Fuck everything

shaki123

I am currently playing the PC version (own and completed the U version).

Is there any way to stop the mini map from flickering? This is so unbelievably frustrating.

ElTopo

Banned
Resolved the crash issue. I just now beat it. It's pretty good, not a masterpiece, but as a zombie game it's pretty interesting. I could see why it got low review scores because dying and losing all of that gear and taking on a forced side quest can definitely annoy someone. I think the melee system needed a Stamina gauge to make it less tedious. Because otherwise taking on two zombies at once (after kiting them in a door way) wasn't so hard. And I liked the fact that they stuck to just zombies being the enemy (aside from that Electrical zombie).

I'll spoiler this but I want to ask two questions:

When you go to that towar aided by the sniper chick. If you succeed and get to the top with the helicopter, what happens next? I literally died once the entire game (on normal difficulty) and I died at that one part in the tower where you have to drop down and I took fall damage. Right after my character died my second character was put on a fetch quest to get fuel for the generator. I liked how there was a call back to that with my second character but I wonder if the game would have ended had I made it without dying.

What was up with the ending with your guide? We see that he was very well prepared for the Armageddon. He goes through your shit and it's implied that he's either a veteran or he amputated his foot to survive a bite. But then he greets another guy. What does that imply? Again, I wonder if the ending would have changed had I not died at all.

The fetch-quest shit was getting a little annoying towards the end and there's at least two sections where you're following the map for a bit, and then it tells you go to the Palace Underground, whereas I could've just taken a shortcut and got there in two seconds. Though, this could have been intentional misdirection.

Also the guide was really annoying with his apocalyptic ramblings.

found a way to replicate the cloud save exploit on ps4 for xbox one...for people that want to play survival lite lol.

Make a save while online. Go offline after you save. This will keep your local save there, while the save you made also goes to the cloud automatically. If you die, close the game, and then delete your local save file. Go back online, enter the game, and it will automatically download your last file saved to the cloud. It is much easier to do on ps4, but this is essentially the same thing as ps4, except not manual

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It depends on how much you care about a higher resolution and framerate.

Personally, I really enjoyed the multiplayer and social features in the Wii U version, so I still prefer that version overall.

but are there any multiplayer or social features still active in the WiiU version? I'd expect that to be pretty empty by now

shaki123

but are there any multiplayer or social features still active in the WiiU version? I'd expect that to be pretty empty by now

Like all Wii U games, Zombi U has an active Online community. There are dead people to loot all over the place.

I am currently playing the PC version (own and completed the U version).

Is there any way to stop the mini map from flickering? This is so unbelievably frustrating.

Any news on this?

I was surprised to see this game is £14.99, awesome from the dev/publisher. Can't believe the prices on so re-releases on XBL (Prototype is £19.99!)

I'm loving this game on PC. I really dont get complaints about the graphics at all (given its cheap and its a Wii U port), to me this is better gameplay wise than the RE revelation games recently (and the resident evil 6 game of course, but thats not a surprise)

Controls wise, as I expected, it plays fine without the gamepad.

this game doesnt have some kind of quick save right? ie just something to save to resume later (eg it could erase the quick save on load to keep the suspense up)

I have to save at a safehouse right or lost my progress?

This isnt to reload failed missions, its just because my time is so limited recently I may only have 10-15 mins to play the game at a time (and want turn off PC afterwards)

Dr Dogg

Downloaded this earlier and just had a brief muck about for 30mins or so and yeah can defiantly see the charm. Loading screens between areas are a bit of a bugger but they load pretty quick and can't really complain too much as it is essentially an upresed WiiU game. Although some textures have quite a bit more detail revealed thanks to a better resolution some are a bit crap, there's a bit of bad colour banding in the darker areas and my word the compression in the prerendered videos is eye gouging. But purely from a gameplay stand point I'm really digging it in my short time so will probably crack on much, much later tonight when it's dark, blinds drawn and headphones on so the atmosphere becomes cack your pants time.

cacildo

"Cloud save so i can finish survivor"

Man, thats low

The game isnt THAT hard. If you pay attention, be careful and -important- dont drink while playing, you can finish it easily

Just dont rush it and enjoy

Chabbles

Watch out for them bastards carrying around the gas tanks on their backs, one slap of the cricket bat and your blown to bits, even if you hit them from the front. They need to be taken out from a distance with a gun.. I've walked up on afew of them now in low lit to pitch darkness and never saw the gas tank, lost all my gear, all of it!.... Listen for the hiss.

Melchiah

Watch out for them bastards carrying around the gas tanks on their backs, one slap of the cricket bat and your blown to bits, even if you hit them from the front. They need to be taken out from a distance with a gun.. I've walked up on afew of them now in low lit to pitch darkness and never saw the gas tank, lost all my gear, all of it!.... Listen for the hiss.

Thanks for the tip.

NewGame

Banned
I looked up this stuff hoping to find more information..

ZombiU was amazing, I wanted to see if they added more to the actual story or single player. Instead they just add a few new weapons and remove multiplayer??

I have gotten quite close to a complete survival run, I almost always die mid game from something really stupid like fall damage or my own mines or grenades.

I did like how the game progresses from 'shoot all the zombies' to 'run past them and try to keep them safely zoned'. It made it feel like a real survival horror.

Maybe when there's more information I'll look it up. It's probably the best survival horror I've played in years.

Something is visually off about this game, anyway to turn off the weird Vaseline look?

The game has a smuged, wet camera lens effect on it at all times which is supposed to be there. It adds atmosphere and prevents things from being seen 'clearly' which makes for some amazing gameplay when you have to plot a safe path across a murky room.

I know some people throw a hissy fit because they always want the best image quality well TOO BAD SO SAD GIT GUD.

Scoot2005

Banned
So did they rebalance the
carnival
? By far the biggest problem with the original game

I did it on normal mode. I did a survivor mode training run in normal mode and didn't die once. It's all about knowing where to go in the map and where the loot is. The mines are essential after the first wave.

wildfire

Banned
Saw this on steam and I was curious about how well the ports reviewed. So far they are all tracking worse than the WiiU version. Polish costs money but I'm guessing removal of the tablet removed some of the more appealing tension that simply can't be found in conventional controls.

SerTapTap

I did it on normal mode. I did a survivor mode training run in normal mode and didn't die once. It's all about knowing where to go in the map and where the loot is. The mines are essential after the first wave.

I guess knowing where to go would help, but in my first wii u playthrough 100% blind I must have died over 5 times, singlehandedly killed my desire to try Survivor. It seemed designed with respawning in mind where none of the rest of the game is.

Davey Cakes

Saw this on steam and I was curious about how well the ports reviewed. So far they are all tracking worse than the WiiU version. Polish costs money but I'm guessing removal of the tablet removed some of the more appealing tension that simply can't be found in conventional controls.
As many have said, the benefits of the Gamepad are likely overstated, but in my opinion, only by a little bit.

The entire game was designed to be a certain way. It was supposed to feel like real survival. The Gamepad was just one part of the formula. There are also the gritty filters so there's never 100% clarity. There's a low FOV in the Wii U version that is not the default option in the newer versions. And those seem to be just some of the differences.

I really think the philosophy of the game was to make you feel as isolated as you would during a real zombie apocalypse. Unlike the "New Resident Evil" version of Survival-Horror, ZombiU seemed to really put the emphasis on the SURVIVAL aspects, up to the point of intentionally limiting the player in certain ways. Purposeful game philosophy-oriented design like that was what made ZombiU unique.

Now they're just removing features and making the experience easier. I don't know. It's nice that more people will be able to experience the base game but otherwise it just seems like a cash grab, and obviously I'm not the only one who has said that.

Dr Dogg

So about the lens dirt shader, it does actually appear to be still pressent just really subtle and looks to be a much lower quality texture used (ignore the half and half set up of this image, just messing with GeDoSaTo to see if I can clear up the banding)
20113250744_48d958f4e9_o.png
The effect appears stronger if you turn your flashlight off but if you look to the up left section of that screen you can see the effect is in play although somewhat diminished but still reacts to lights/flares as you move the camera.

So about the lens dirt shader, it does actually appear to be still pressent just really subtle and looks to be a much lower quality texture used (ignore the half and half set up of this image, just messing with GeDoSaTo to see if I can clear up the banding)

The effect appears stronger if you turn your flashlight off but if you look to the up left section of that screen you can see the effect is in play although somewhat diminished but still reacts to lights/flares as you move the camera.

Hmm... I wonder if there's some way to crank the intensity or just flat out replace the texture with the wiiu onE

"Cloud save so i can finish survivor"

Man, thats low

The game isnt THAT hard. If you pay attention, be careful and -important- dont drink while playing, you can finish it easily

Just dont rush it and enjoy

i was killed by an npc that is supposed to protect u...im not starting all the way over again due to shit like that

Dr Dogg

Hmm... I wonder if there's some way to crank the intensity or just flat out replace the texture with the wiiu onE

Not really. There are a couple of config files in the install folder but they're really not to be messed with. Reshade does have a dirty lens effect in there somewhere but it would be applied to pretty much everything (UI, cutscenes, probably the backpack menu) so your mileage may vary with using that.

Top Bottom