• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombi - Pure Survival Horror is coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC [ZombiU Port]

SomTervo

That's news to me. Was it only removed from the European edition? If so, I'll have to buy the American edition after all.

To my recollection, they weren't that open about the resolution differences before the release though. It was after that, when it became clear in Digital Foundry's article that it wasn't native 1080p on both of the current gen consoles.

I will get the game eventually though. At the moment there's just too many releases coming, and I've managed to gather a backlog after playing Bloodborne for four months. Despite of having too little time to play all the games, I had to buy Zombi now because I had waited so long to play it, and the price was just right. I'm only in the beginning stages (haven't went to the supermarket yet), but it seems like a good game.

EDIT:

I enjoyed Dead Island, eventhough it had its flaws. I was actually looking forward to DI2 more than DL, which is why it's a shame it was delayed/cancelled.

That's fair enough. A) Zombi seems like a great purchase. I've been waiting for it, too, but I'm holding off because I just got a new PC rig and MGSV is in 10 days, B) if you get Dying Light at a later date, you might be in time to buy the GotY edition. They recently announced a huge expansion pack that adds a massive new campaign, map and adds vehicles - the map alone is bigger than the entire vanilla release's space. And believe me, vanilla Dying Light has one of the best game worlds out there.

I'm not a giant stickler about resolution, so that stuff went totally over my head. It's a fucking amazing lookiing game, anyway.

I actually did enjoy Dead Island to some extent, I was exaggerating above – but I only enjoyed it after I got it for free on Games With Gold. As a free game it was good fun. As a full-retail game, it was an insulting mess of jank and mediocre design.

Guys, if you want to play Dying Light and similar, go ahead! There's plenty to choose from. But plz, leave our tight, linear, single player atmospheric experiences alone. We got fewer and fewer each passing year :( .

I'm very thankful that Indies found their niche there, the genre has been nearly by big publishers.

Absolutely. There's easily space for Dying Light and Zombi in this culture.

ElTopo

Banned
That's how I would describe it as well.

It's a strong 8/10, but it could have easily been a 9/10 with a bit longer in development. The last 1/4 of the game feels rushed.

If they ever make a sequel, I hope to God it's not open world.

When I say "open world" I mean less in a GTA kind of way and more like a Souls game. Like, here's a big open area and you need to complete XYZ in order to open it up, but you can do XYZ in almost any order.

Melchiah

That's fair enough. A) Zombi seems like a great purchase. I've been waiting for it, too, but I'm holding off because I just got a new PC rig and MGSV is in 10 days, B) if you get Dying Light at a later date, you might be in time to buy the GotY edition. They recently announced a huge expansion pack that adds a massive new campaign, map and adds vehicles - the map alone is bigger than the entire vanilla release's space. And believe me, vanilla Dying Light has one of the best game worlds out there.

I'm not a giant stickler about resolution, so that stuff went totally over my head. It's a fucking amazing lookiing game, anyway.

I actually did enjoy Dead Island to some extent, I was exaggerating above – but I only enjoyed it after I got it for free on Games With Gold. As a free game it was good fun. As a full-retail game, it was an insulting mess of jank and mediocre design.

Just checked, and the retail version still costs 40€. =/ Damn, it takes ages for it to go below 30€. Has there been any word about a GOTY edition? I might just as well wait for it, if there's one coming.

As for the resolution, it just rubs me the wrong way when some information is held back until the release date. Skyrim's problems on the PS3 being a prime example. People should have the opportunity to make an informed decision about what they're buying.

Dead Island was too long for its own good, and many of the sidequests were repetitive fetch missions, but I still enjoyed the resort area, parts of the city, and the jungle. in Riptide they turned it around, and made the beginning area too long instead of the city, and the defense sections were tiresome. Nevertheless, DI2 seemed like a fun game, and I liked its colorful visual style.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
so guys should I buy it? I never finished it on WiiU but all the talk about shitty performance is off putting

Per DF, seems to 30fps locked at the XB, the Ps4 only has frame drops when the Wii U also does, while holding on events like the explosions where the Wii u would drop. On PC, if you have decent hardware you can expect 60fps+ all the time. Performance doesn't seem to be an issue with this game when compared to the Wii U version.

Where the port is lacking is the missing/diminished lens effects, that gave the Wii U a lot of it's atmosphere and the preset brightness is too high imo, but you can change the last part.

For those of you enjoying Zombi, I'd like to recommend Condemned. Excellent atmosphere and better melee combat.

I liked Zombi U a lot better than Condemned. Much more action oriented an the Final act ruined the game for me. And the atmosphere isn't quite as tight. Still a good game, though.

Frillen

Haven't started it yet, but watched a couple of video reviews mentioning this. They probably just sucked though.

Thanks guys!

Haven't started it yet, but watched a couple of video reviews mentioning this. They probably just sucked though.

Thanks guys!
Could be the taking about (enemy type spoiler)
enemies with body armor like the infected SWAT officers. You have to knock their helmet off before you even begin to damaged them.

shaki123

Thanks guys for not answering my question. This will be my 3rd try. Hopefully somebody can answer this for me.

How do you turn off the flickering of the mini-map. It is highly distracting.

kinggroin

Banned
For those saying nothing of importance is missing, is this confirmation that the dark souls-esque messages and invasions are still in? What about multiplayer (online maybe)?

Also, is the tracker still in (the sonar thing?)

If so, I may go PC for a double dip.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
any major differences between PS4 and PC? I hear the PC version has Uplay stuff which seems odd as the game is also on steam. Is the PS4 version the same?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I liked Zombi U a lot better than Condemned. Much more action oriented an the Final act ruined the game for me. And the atmosphere isn't quite as tight. Still a good game, though.

Oh man, that final act. There are people who complain that night isn't truly dark in most videogames. They would be pretty happy with Condemned.

And I recall the last boss fight being glitchy.

shaki123

Lmao, they probably won't with you saying it like that.

Screw it then. I already asked 4 times (normally) in total. I am done with it. I am going to stop playing the PC version. I cannot stand the flickering minimap. Whoever gave the green light for that should never work on a map again. Highly distracting, especially in a lonely survival game. Wii U version remains superior.

lazygecko

any major differences between PS4 and PC? I hear the PC version has Uplay stuff which seems odd as the game is also on steam. Is the PS4 version the same?

Games on Steam also requiring you to register it with an external service isn't that uncommon. All Ubisoft games on Steam are like that. And there are plenty of old or recent EA games on Steam that require Origin as well.

Jim Sterling showcases the PC version here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYJdy4Ka2hk

Grisby

Might pick up during a sale. It was a pretty fun game on the wiiU and definitely one of the better zombie experiences I've ever had.
Hello,
Is the story good ?
Not much of a story...so no? I guess, you could say that. It's nothing offensively bad, but you're here for the atmosphere and gameplay.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Hello,
Is the story good ?

Mmmm. I sincerely don't know how to answer this question. You are a randomly generated silent protagonist trying to survive in a world that is far greater than you
and you can't rescue. Well you try but fail miserably
. So, the focus is in your survival and being guided by forces you don't understand
or will understand
. For me that was a very compelling horror scenario, I find hard to be afraid of the world if I'm a superhero that will rescue the princes and save the world at the end no matter what. But if you expect a deep narrative you won't find it here.

Also, there's some back story that is tangential and deals with a conspiracy that wasn't well developed.

Thanks guys for not answering my question. This will be my 3rd try. Hopefully somebody can answer this for me.

How do you turn off the flickering of the mini-map. It is highly distracting.

maybe nobody knows wtf you are talking about? Are you talking about the pinging of areas on the mini map? Explain more about what is flickering

And thanks again for expressing that you feel the wii u version is superior. People might not have seen it the first 500 times you said that

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Mmm. Film Grain adds a lot. Playing last night, just made it to Buckingham Palace. Terrifying.

Edit: Hope there is a mod to make the map smaller or toggle it off/on.

shaki123

maybe nobody knows wtf you are talking about? Are you talking about the pinging of areas on the mini map? Explain more about what is flickeringt

The MiniMap flickers. Every gameplay video of each platform shows this. Everyone has it. The sides of the map flicker. Doesn't matter what you do as a player, it keeps flickering.

DukeBobby

Is it just me or is this easier than the Wii U version?

I just did the part in the (late game spoilers)
arena
and the game was throwing ammo and mines at me like crazy. I finished it with barely a scratch.

In fact, I've not even been close to running out of ammo during the whole game. I've even got spare ammo in my safe house chest. On the Wii U, it was just full of planks and medkits.

Hmm, maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.

The MiniMap flickers. Every gameplay video of each platform shows this. Everyone has it. The sides of the map flicker. Doesn't matter what you do as a player, it keeps flickering.

I have never noticed this before, until you just explained what it was. But yeah, I see it now on xbox one.

shaki123

I have never noticed this before, until you just explained what it was. But yeah, I see it now on xbox one.

Exactly. It's so distracting. I find it surprising it hasn't been mentioned before.

I seriously cannot play the game without being massively distracted by it. I can't enjoy the game because of it. If someone knows a way to mod this out please let me know.

alright im done with this game now.

Been trying survival

First I got killed by an npc that isnt supposed to kill you

Second, fell through the floor 20 minutes from the end of the game

Third, fell through the floor while looting a random dead body

Fourth was just walking up some stairs, must have stepped over something the game didnt like, because I got catapulted off a very high location and died...this was about 40 minutes from the end.

I am having to start over due to the game..no more for me

heringer

Exactly. It's so distracting. I find it surprising it hasn't been mentioned before.

I seriously cannot play the game without being massively distracted by it. I can't enjoy the game because of it. If someone knows a way to mod this out please let me know.

Actually, I find surprising that a small wave noise like that on the map would bother anyone that much. It's as silly as someone saying the WiiU version is unplayable because of the dirty lens. But what do I know? If it's unplayable to you, then I suppose you could wait for a mod that removes the map or something.

I reached the point of "no return" but I stopped... I have 3 more missions left including this one, I'm enjoying the game way too much that I don't want it to ends.

A very well solid 7 game IMO.

Soodanim

Been trying survival

Fourth was just walking up some stairs, must have stepped over something the game didnt like, because I got catapulted off a very high location and died...this was about 40 minutes from the end.

LOL. That's unfortunate. I guess I'll hold off on the double dip for now

DukeBobby

Been trying survival

Which version are you playing?

I've had plenty of bugs on PC. Bodies flying up into air, disappearing into walls, bag not opening, numerous crashes, etc. I hope they get a patch out for all versions ASAP.

SmokyDave

Goddamn I fucking love this game. I'm enjoying it every bit as much as the first time, maybe even more so now it's 1080p and 80,000FPS. Everything that I loved about the game is intact, and the things I didn't like have been removed. I'm so fucking stoked to be able to play the game again and to have it in the library for all time.

My only gripe is that with a ton of RAM and an SSD, it loads too fast. I loved the load screens and the haunting withery strings that played during the loads.

psychotron

Goddamn I fucking love this game. I'm enjoying it every bit as much as the first time, maybe even more so now it's 1080p and 80,000FPS. Everything that I loved about the game is intact, and the things I didn't like have been removed. I'm so fucking stoked to be able to play the game again and to have it in the library for all time.

My only gripe is that with a ton of RAM and an SSD, it loads too fast. I loved the load screens and the haunting withery strings that played during the loads.

Itsalmosttoogood.jpg

psychotron

Honestly, man. Silly little janky cult game and yet it's probably in my all time top 5. Never played anything in the same league for atmosphere except for Silent Hill (1) and P.T.

I hear you, and you're not alone in loving it. I played a bit on Wii U and liked it, and bought it for PS4 last night. Can't wait to get to it!

Lucinice

Neo Member
Okay now that it's been a few days since release is the wiiu version actually still the best version? Because the only places I can find ZombiU for sale have it as slightly more expensive than the other versions.

Renae

Mmmm. I sincerely don't know how to answer this question. You are a randomly generated silent protagonist trying to survive in a world that is far greater than you
and you can't rescue. Well you try but fail miserably
. So, the focus is in your survival and being guided by forces you don't understand
or will understand
. For me that was a very compelling horror scenario, I find hard to be afraid of the world if I'm a superhero that will rescue the princes and save the world at the end no matter what. But if you expect a deep narrative you won't find it here.

Also, there's some back story that is tangential and deals with a conspiracy that wasn't well developed.

Ok thanks :)

Top Bottom