• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

Really loving the demo! Lots of fun even with such a limited selection.

Mario & Villager are easily my favorites. Mario feels as great as he ever did, and Villager is a lot more fun than I expected; pretty good keep-away game, solid aerials, just my playstyle. I'm better on Final Destination than on Battlefield, though.

Link & Mega Man are both solid, no real complaints. Mega Man is hard to get the hang of, though, so definitely feeling the criticisms there. Pikachu is bleh but I've never liked playing as Pikachu in Smash so that's not a big surprise.

So does Luigi suck in this game or what? Can find any impression like.. at all.
Poor underrated dog u_u

nobody cares about him outside of Mario Kart
image.php

Kinsei

Banned
Really loving the demo! Lots of fun even with such a limited selection.

Mario & Villager are easily my favorites. Mario feels as great as he ever did, and Villager is a lot more fun than I expected; pretty good keep-away game, solid aerials, just my playstyle. I'm better on Final Destination than on Battlefield, though.

Link & Mega Man are both solid, no real complaints. Mega Man is hard to get the hang of, though, so definitely feeling the criticisms there. Pikachu is bleh but I've never liked playing as Pikachu in Smash so that's not a big surprise.

Mega Man did take a while to get used to, but when he clicked with me I fell in love. He's easily my favorite character to play as in the demo.

Starting to get 3 kills against Lv.9s in the demo easily and constantly now with Mario. Trying to see if I could get 4 kills.

Link is especially easy to combo.

Jaeger

Sure, I've been taking one from each person I've seen make a suggestion so I think I'm doing Samus, then Megaman, then I'll do Dark Pit.

Takes a random amount of time between each one due to the nature of unlocks though, and taking all the pictures is annoying without a capture card but it looks nice that way so I'm going to keep doing it.

Can't wait. Take your time.

this is such a strange costume

Lovely.

Sure, I've been taking one from each person I've seen make a suggestion so I think I'm doing Samus, then Megaman, then I'll do Dark Pit.

Takes a random amount of time between each one due to the nature of unlocks though, and taking all the pictures is annoying without a capture card but it looks nice that way so I'm going to keep doing it.

hmmm
Rosalina custom moves?

Alright, it's Zelda's turn, I'm not exactly in love with her in this game, she seems nerfed compared to what I remember, but I've never been a Zelda main so she may actually be good, she has a couple of good customisations but it's some of the more generic stuff I've come across.

Thank you so much for this very detailed description of Zelda's custom moves. I'll probably just experiment with the different Din's Fires and Phantom Slashes and leave the rest alone. I can't wait to see more of your excellent posts on custom moves.

Durden77

Doesnt it block projectiles too?

I think people with the full version atm will have an easier time with tap jump off, but then again I dunno.5

It might, but probably not reliably. it's certainly not worth it just for that. You can't do any action other than jump, grab, or throw the shield when it's out. And throwing the shield is slow and leaves you open to attack, while it does hardly any damage or knockback.

It's terrible unless someone can figure out some amazing tech for it.

Played more of the demo, getting the hang of things on the controls but I still want shield on L lol. In general, my hand sorta starts to cramp on the OG 3DS so I'm not sure if I should get an XL because of that... yet. As besides the hand cramping, I can see pretty fine on the OG 3DS screen despite its size.

That said, the gameplay I can't really judge 100% against CPUs because they have stupid ridiculous reaction times. I can't really get a feel for what's possible at high % for combos because the AI always air dodges as soon as it can when hitstun is over -- something that a human player definitely won't be able or choose to do every time (at least not this early in the meta).

I've been playing Link the most in the demo because he's the one I'm most familiar with. It seems like he can KO pretty decently if you don't use any of his KO moves at low%s (things like Ftilt, Fsmash, Up B). You're going to want to use his Nair, Bair, and jabs at low%, maybe a little Ftilt if you think it's worth losing a bit of its KO potential because of stale moves. Use his boomerang and bombs, too, obviously but it doesn't seem like either of them will help set up for combos like in previous games -- they're more for keepaway as far as I can tell.

You really just need to be conscious of stale moves at all times just like in Brawl. Stale moves feels like it's just as strong as in Brawl, which is a shame as it's only compounding the issue of the large blastzones. They really shouldn't have kept stale moves the same and gone back to how it was in Melee (only damage is reduced, knockback remains the same).

But anyway, Link does feel better than he did in Brawl and part of that is because of some of the key changes: Up B is stronger at its base without needing to charge it (the charge also doesn't get in the way of using it out of shield), Ftilt is stronger, boomerang is actually usable for damage, Nair is better (it feels like it's out for a longer period of time than Brawl but it's hard to tell), and of course his grab isn't terribad when you whiff it.

I could see Link actually being somewhere in the middle this time around but it really depends on how the other characters shape up (especially some of the newcomers who have much stronger keepaway like Duck Hunt or Robin).

Revven, what's your opinion on Link's dash attack? I'm like it a lot, and it seems like one of his most consistent killing moves, but I'm not sure how it's gonna work against players (I'm playing lvl 9 CPU)

Also, is it me or is the random in the demo very weird? I'm playing random, and I got link and CPU as pikachu 7 TIMES IN A ROW lol.

Revven

Revven, what's your opinion on Link's dash attack? I'm like it a lot, and it seems like one of his most consistent killing moves, but I'm not sure how it's gonna work against players (I'm playing lvl 9 CPU)

Also, is it me or is the random in the demo very weird? I'm playing random, and I got link and CPU as pikachu 7 TIMES IN A ROW lol.

Dash attack is kind of hard to land, I'm not sure if it'll be a viable option because it can whiff pretty easily. Especially because rolling in this game is so fast, I wouldn't be surprised if rolling through it was the best way to avoid it.

And yeah, I got Mega Man like 5-6 times in the demo from Random as well lol. I don't think it's very random at all...

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Word yet on all of Megaman's custom moves?

Roo

nobody cares about him outside of Mario Kart
image.php
Oh no you didn't...

In 3 weeks, I'll main him along with like 6 others and crush souls online and make him good! >:D
Hope I'm one of those 6 lol
People have been talking about him being better than what he was in Melee and Brawl, iirc.
Well, he couldn't be worse than Brawl but I'll take your word.
I will always enjoy using Luigi, if only for his F-Smash
This is what looking forward the most. His final smash looks so fun and it makes me smile it is related to his own series.

Durden77

Ganondorf still looks like he sucks....sigh....

I still enjoy playing him in Brawl despite his sucking, but I was hoping he'd get some noticeable improvements.

EDIT : OH SHIT HE'S GOT SUPER ARMOR ON B THOUGH! That's fun!

Oh no you didn't...

Hope I'm one of those 6 lol

Well, hen couldn't be worse than Brawl but I'll take your word.

This is what looking forward the most. His final smash looks so fun and it makes me smile it is related to his own series.

I'm with you on that. Luigi is one of my favorite Mayro characters, so of course I'll main him. Waluigi colored Luigi 4lyfe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom