• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V reveal @ IGN tomorrow 9am PT/12pm ET/5pm GMT with exclusive gameplay #1

so have we figured out how a person who never played this game and only owns a PS4 could get the returning stuff?

has there been paid ebay services started yet? seriously do want those things

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Few thoughts from CVG GTAVO'Clock

• first person mode is a fundamental rework of the game, not a 3rd person version where the camera has been tricked to look first person."
  • 3,000 animations for the gun reloads?
  • New "locomotion animation" when you start running
  • Phone exists as full 3D object
  • If you look down you see your legs
  • You see tracks changing on the stereo in the car
  • You toggle First Person mode using the touch pad on PS4... Maybe the back/menu button on X1?
  • Controls in first person are very customizable... With new aiming settings
  • There is a setting to have it change to 3rd person if you get hit by a vehicle or something else disorienting. You can turn this off as well.

Still listening..

They also say they will not reveal details on the new modes or missions.
But will there be 16xAF?

hepburn3d

Will be playing this on PC but well jealous of those PS4 controller features. Would love my controller to be flashing red and blue in a police chase lighting the room up, would add so much to the atmosphere in a dark room :) sooooo goood.

Juz

845anvX.gif

doofy102

I'm not that excited for first-person driving, but that FPS shooting just makes so much more sense to me. The shooting looks so much quicker and smoother. It removes the clunkiness of the third person combat's animations. It puts the enemy's excellent ragdoll/euphoria feedback right at the forefront of the presentation, which is where it always should have been. No more seeing that satisfying shit from behind your character's back. The dedicated grenade button is a god send. Even the white flash that happens when you kill people seems to fit now.

^yeah that new quick toss for grenades is slick.... and the new guns, phones, firing while driving all have great textures/animate so smoothy.

i noticed there's so much more motion blur in FP mode too

Isn't it tied to your R* social account?

Not sure people will want to be selling those.

Is there confirmation that cloud saves will carry over online progress from the Rockstar Social club, and not require a transfer process from the PS3/Xbox version of the game?

Is there confirmation that cloud saves will carry over online progress from the Rockstar Social club, and not require a transfer process from the PS3/Xbox version of the game?

Yes, I don't think a transfer from 360 to PS4 would even be possible otherwise, plus your online progress isn't stored in your console, but only in the cloud, so there isn't anything to transfer other from your old console.

Yes, I don't think a transfer from 360 to PS4 would even be possible otherwise, plus your online progress isn't stored in your console, but only in the cloud, so there isn't anything to transfer other from your old console.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking makes sense.

We're sure it's just the online progress that's carrying over, and not the single player saves, right?

slash3584

I hope that this comparison video contains more than just a graphic comparison.

I want to see pedestrian/traffic density differences, and maybe some info on the damage model changes they talked about.

UrbanRats

They're both 30FPS...or do you mean the benchmark post launch?

I remember before GTAV's original launch, how some sites (IGN being one of them) talked about the framerate being pretty solid... lol.
I say if that is a concern, don't pre-order and wait for impressions from people who understand what the fuck they're talking about.

goonergaz

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/480357/hands-on-gtav-ps4-xbox-one-pc/

If it's surprises you're after, our hands-on threw up plenty, in vintage GTAV fashion. Even when you adjust to the incredible new visuals, at 1080p and 30fps no less (trust us, 30 fps is plenty, before we all enter 60fps-or-bust therapy groups, with the frame-rate notably fluid, even at its explosive peaks), the game keeps catching you off guard.

I dunno, I took this as not locked but pretty solid

doofy102

Not LOCKED but IGN guys said it's very steady.

Man R* are setting some insanely HIGH standards for GTAVI.
I don't know how they can top V.

Yeah.. I'm expecting GTA6 to come out at the end of the gen, with Red Dead in between. If they get it out by 2017 I'll be surprised.

In the meantime, I kind of doubt anything will top GTAV, unless Ubisoft or whatever really lift their game. GTA's competitors still struggle to have the detail that GTAIV has. I mean, you can have tighter shooting mechanics and whatnot, but potential small idiosyncratic moments are what make GTA so infinitely playable.

eso76

Very long and quite in depth preview here

http://multiplayer.it/articoli/140123-grand-theft-auto-v-gta-5-il-gioco-dei-giochi.html

in italian.

- more than double the draw distance. very little pop in making the world look very solid and believable.
- much more stable 30fps
- 3 times the light sources
- improved DOF with bokeh
- foliage now moves more realistically from wind / characters
- much higher res textures, much more diversity in ads / billboards
- rain progressively forms water puddles, everything is reflected on them (SSR ?)

the 'not so good'

- there still is some draw in
- IQ IS NOT PERFECT. They assume the game is probably using some post processing AA solution, which doesn't completely get rid of minor jaggies. IQ is not razor sharp.

Build was 8 weeks old though.

First person

- You can go TOTAL 1st person (that is, camera doesn't switch to 3rd even when rolling on the ground/down a hill, or going into cover etc) or dynamic.
- they said NO 1st person during cutscenes.
- YOU CAN ADJUST FOV hadn't heard of this before. Toggle head bobbling on/off etc.
- Basically change everything about the control scheme to suit your tastes
- walking physics have been adjusted for 1st person, game now has over 3000 new animations for the main characters (reloading weapons, using phone etc)
- Because of FPV, now NPC's have a wider range of facial expressions, since you're supposed to be looking at their faces.

That's more or less it.

Nzyme32

- rain progressively forms water puddles, everything is reflected on them (SSR ?)

The puddles forming sounds awesome, but from the vid, it really doesn't look like it is reflecting everything. In fact reflections in general seem to be weird, like non reflective mirrors, which would have been pretty useful for first person

AmyS

http://multiplayer.it/articoli/140123-grand-theft-auto-v-gta-5-il-gioco-dei-giochi.html

in italian.

- more than double the draw distance. very little pop in making the world look very solid and believable.
- much more stable 30fps

the 'not so good'

- IQ IS NOT PERFECT. They assume the game is probably using some post processing AA solution, which doesn't completely get rid of minor jaggies. IQ is not razor sharp.

Isn't that's key right there? The build was about 2 months old. Enough time to improve things a bit more, no doubt.

Man, bought GTAV last-gen full price at launch and I'm going to do it again. The improvements sound awesome. The game is going to look amazing even without perfect IQ.

Asgaro

Will be playing this on PC but well jealous of those PS4 controller features. Would love my controller to be flashing red and blue in a police chase lighting the room up, would add so much to the atmosphere in a dark room :) sooooo goood.

Can't you buy a PS4 controller and hook it up to your PC?
I'm pretty sure modders will find a way to let the lights interact.

Asgaro

in italian.

- much more stable 30fps

the 'not so good'

First person

- You can go TOTAL 1st person (that is, camera doesn't switch to 3rd even when rolling on the ground/down a hill, or going into cover etc) or dynamic.
- they said NO 1st person during cutscenes.
- YOU CAN ADJUST FOV hadn't heard of this before. Toggle head bobbling on/off etc.
- Basically change everything about the control scheme to suit your tastes
- walking physics have been adjusted for 1st person, game now has over 3000 new animations for the main characters (reloading weapons, using phone etc)
- Because of FPV, now NPC's have a wider range of facial expressions, since you're supposed to be looking at their faces.

That's more or less it.

Some new stuff. Thanks!

Shredderi

I was just thinking about how it would be cool and interesting to have a gta game with a more agile protagonist. Like someone who has a little parkour abilities. I don't mean like in assassin's creed where you can climb absolutely everything and hang in some crazy places all the time. I mean more grounded parkour. Something along the lines of Mirror's Edge but without all the wall running and borderline inhuman feats. I like that gta games retain that feeling like they're grounded in reality and that certain weight. Have the character be able to vault over objects more quickly while running etc. I'm perfectly ok with that not happening since we already do have many games with parkour and it would be easy to slip into the more 'fantastic' side of parkour which is not what I want. Just an idea to make the on-foot navigating more exciting maybe./randomthoughts

Top Bottom