• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread XVIII: Today, we are all Mewtwos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for those of you who don't think we're getting any DLC at all (like you, right IntelliHeath?): why? Wasn't the (eventual) existence of a DLC "shop" like in Mario Kart 8 basically confirmed through datamining of the 3DS version? What room is there for doubt at this point?

Can you confirm.that Bowsercide on both players' last stocks results in sudden death, that you can assign multiple buttons.to shield, and that Bowser.can still short hop, air dodge, and then cancel the landing lag with Fortress?

All right, tested all of this out for you.

Amazingly, Bowserciding does not result in Sudden Death but in the person who attempted to Bowsercide losing. Even though the other player technically hits the blast zone first, the person Bowserciding loses their stock instead. I love this! Thanks for asking me to test it out. :p Tested against Zero Suit Samus, Yoshi, and another Bowser on Pilotwings, Town and City, Battlefield, and Final Destination for good measure.

You can assign multiple buttons to shield, no problem there.

As for Bowser's short hop > air dodge > landing lag cancel w/ Whirling Fortress, yep, he can still do it!

Richie

tumblr_ne2nn9psp71qd8642o1_1280.jpg

[/IMG]

And other such super drawings

Holy hell Golnei, you did this? Daaaaaaaamn, man. What talent, what....holy shit.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Question for those of you who don't think we're getting any DLC at all (like you, right IntelliHeath?): why? Wasn't the (eventual) existence of a DLC "shop" like in Mario Kart 8 basically confirmed through datamining of the 3DS version? What room is there for doubt at this point?

All right, tested all of this out for you.

Amazingly, Bowserciding does not result in Sudden Death but in the person who attempted to Bowsercide losing. Even though the other player technically hits the blast zone first, the person Bowserciding loses their stock instead. I love this! Thanks for asking me to test it out. :p Tested against Zero Suit Samus, Yoshi, and another Bowser on Pilotwings, Town and City, Battlefield, and Final Destination for good measure.

You can assign multiple buttons to shield, no problem there.

As for Bowser's short hop > air dodge > landing lag cancel w/ Whirling Fortress, yep, he can still do it!

I've lost twice in For Glory to Bowsercide. I hope whoever has done that to me doesn't get the memo.

Yeeeeeeesssssss, this pleases me, and even I like playing as Bowser. Bowsercide was complete cheese.

leroidys

Mario Kart 8 has got me thinking about Smash Bros. DLC again. What does everyone’s updated wish list look like? Here’s my top five after Mewtwo (no Assist Trophies, Poké Balls, or stage hazards):

RrmvvCM.png
sr7sSz2.png
mFCYkbN.png
GsWekKf.png
88zEBjb.png

Any single one of those would make me happy.

Nobody else even comes close to those guys for me. Too bad only one of them has even half a chance of making it in as DLC.

After them, I would be really happy with any of Lucas, Chorus Kids, Takamaru and Isaac (in that order).

In my perfect world, the DLC focuses strongly on characters from franchises that don't have playable reps yet. Wonder Red, Isaac, Andy, Inkling, Rhythm Monkey... I would also love to see the remaining veterans return so we can have a True Perfect Smash Roster.

Also we need a Metroid DLC pack including Ridley, new models for Samus and ZSS, at least two new stages from the Prime games, and a formal apology from Sakurai for butchering Metroid's representation so badly.

By any chance, can you mention the unlockable stages that the embargo allows you to talk about? I've become confused ever since Youtubers began posting videos of stages like Pac-Land and Duck Hunt without severe punishment.

Yeah, it's weird. I don't know why some unlockable stages are okay to talk about and some aren't, but Pac-Land and Duck Hunt are definitely among those it's okay to talk about/post footage of. Still, that's a pretty gray/shady area of the embargo as far as I'm concerned, so I don't want to mention any more than that. Sorry.

Golnei

In my perfect world, the DLC focuses strongly on characters from franchises that don't have playable reps yet. Wonder Red, Isaac, Andy, Inkling, Rhythm Monkey... I would also love to see the remaining veterans return so we can have a True Perfect Smash Roster.

I'd prefer unrepresented series to get priority as well, but I'd be uneasy with the inclusion of anything more recent than The Wonderful 101 in a playable capacity - Roy was an exceptional circumstance that should never be repeated, particularly when concerning entirely new IPs. Though I really hope they decide to fill out the remaining veterans as well - we're closer than ever before to a 'perfect' roster for the game's given point in time, and it'd be a shame for them to not take the last few steps to cement that.

Holy hell Golnei, you did this? Daaaaaaaamn, man. What talent, what....holy shit.

Oh god no. Those are Mike Horowitz's Inktober pieces.

Guess I'll add my two cents to the DLC discussion.

I'll guess both Wolf and Lucas are coming back. Sure Ness has Lucas' moves but Dark Pit exists. It would also go well with Mewtwo as part of Veterans coming back.

As for new DLC characters Dixie is my most wanted and someone who I think will definitely come. I also think Chorus Kids will too. That source talking about them makes me think they'll be finished after release as DLC.

The Inklings won't get in because their game hasn't been released and as such a complete moveset can't be made. There could easily be changes in the coming months that change parts of a moveset to be wrong. Or if they were very conservative with basic attacks it wouldn't capture the character.

Finally it's simply the perfect character for Smash 5. There simply aren't really any big ones left to put in who are stars on new franchises. It's also my hope that Wonder Red will get into Smash 5 somehow too but the tepid commercial reception may have hurt that.

I still hope Sakurai get some sense and releases Ridley as DLC. I mean he's already shown a lack of proper size with other characters from the same series. Why keep excluding a character who has appeared in more games than Ganondorf (human form of course)?

TDLink

These DLC guesses are so boring. Everyone just keeps saying veterans or Dixie + Chorus Kids because that is what the Spainkiller rumour was.

Boring choices. Almost no one would be guessing or pushing for Chorus Kids without that rumour.

Dixie isn't a terrible choice provided she isn't a clone but really...there are so many great options out there for DLC. Why limit ourselves?

So here's the deal with playing 2P Classic or All-Star by yourself to get trophies twice as fast:

In Classic, you can do this no problem, and you get both characters' ending movies to boot (even though you only see one upon clearing). You only get to see one character's credits picture, though.

This sadly isn't possible in All-Star, though, as it's game over if even one fighter gets KO'd. :/

These DLC guesses are so boring. Everyone just keeps saying veterans or Dixie + Chorus Kids because that is what the Spainkiller rumour was.

Boring choices. Almost no one would be guessing or pushing for Chorus Kids without that rumour.

Dixie isn't a terrible choice provided she isn't a clone but really...there are so many great options out there for DLC. Why limit ourselves?

Boring to you, maybe. The Chorus Kids being in Gematsu only served to make me realize how fucking amazing that would be. For many of us, the Chorus Kids would be as far from boring as you can get.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
sure is very late

also anyone who says Wolf should be a costume should be mercilessly mauled by Wolf

Wolf (and Lucas) are DLC gatekeepers

Boring to you, maybe. The Chorus Kids being in Gematsu only served to make me realize how fucking amazing that would be. For many of us, the Chorus Kids would be as far from boring as you can get.
Pretty much this. I wanted a Rhythm Heaven character on the roster, I just didn't know which one. And then the Gematsu leak happened and the Chorus Kids (or Marshal) became the only choice(s). I mean c'mon, Beyonce gives them her approval.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, I now have 13,2 gig of smashliciousness pre-loaded on my Wii U external drive.

Feels good, man

zlCfzSpjcawkrBvZBD

Pic of the day. Smash Tour is really hard to explain in words--it's tough to give out guidance tips with such limited space to type!! So I'll stop myself from saying too much--just try playing this mode three times with your friends. Smash Bros. will definitely feel even more like a party if you try this out.

zlCfzSpjciky1NrBi0

There are three types of game boards. If you turn on the Custom Fighters option, the fighters will be preset with custom special moves. The number on a fighter's portrait on the game board indicates which custom move set that fighter is using--this also adds to the randomness of this mode.

FSLink

Banned

No one was guessing Chorus Kids before Gematsu because any Rhythm Tengoku/Heaven fans thought any sort of rep would be a long shot. But any sort of Rhythm Tengoku representation would be the complete opposite of boring.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Do you make your own avatars or is someone constantly making new ones for you? Sometimes I can't keep up anymore
I just find an image I like and make an avatar of it. Sometimes I have a queue of avatars I've made in advance but this month I didn't have anything so I just drew that weird logo one quickly to just have something. I kind of liked it but there was something of about it so when I saw this picture I made a quick change. Usually I try to stick to one month.

I try to sick to the same characters though for some consistency.

Smash Tour today.

...Was it up for Japan? Or was that a genuine guess? Because

zlCfzSpjcawkrBvZBD

Pic of the day. Smash Tour is really hard to explain in words--it's tough to give out guidance tips with such limited space to type!! So I'll stop myself from saying too much--just try playing this mode three times with your friends. Smash Bros. will definitely feel even more like a party if you try this out.

zlCfzSpjciky1NrBi0

There are three types of game boards. If you turn on the Custom Fighters option, the fighters will be preset with custom special moves. The number on a fighter's portrait on the game board indicates which custom move set that fighter is using--this also adds to the randomness of this mode.

I suspect she'd be a clone in the same way as Falco. Diddy's specials with some tweaks (and DK's up-B since you need the Hairocopter in some way) and different normals.

Clov

I just find an image I like and make an avatar of it. Sometimes I have a queue of avatars I've made in advance but this month I didn't have anything so I just drew that weird logo one quickly to just have something. I kind of liked it but there was something of about it so when I saw this picture I made a quick change. Usually I try to stick to one month.

I try to sick to the same characters though for some consistency.

It's nice that you try to stick to the same characters, but this time there aren't any characters at all. Not sure why you decided a blank avatar with "Gaf King" on the side was a good idea, but that's your decision.

On a different note, Smash Tour seems nice. At the same time, it doesn't look like something I'd play often.

Dryk

Inkling being new is precisely why it's a smart move. Put an Inkling in Smash, and the Smash install base now has Splatoon on their radar, whether the game's out or not. The Wooly World stage may have a similar effect.
The problem with throwing every new character into Smash around when their game comes out is you run out of new IP for Smash 6

Sure Ness has Lucas' moves but Dark Pit exists.
If you mash B, sure.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Smash community has shown that they can buy a game from 2001 and not need to buy anything else. They don't even like buying new controllers. They are the worst community to advertise new games to.

The Smash community has shown that they can buy a game from 2001 and not need to buy anything else. They don't even like buying new controllers. They are the worst community to advertise new games to.
What are you talking about, we love buying new controllers.

Even Gamecube controllers need to be replaced every once in a while. :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

They don't even know the games featured in Smash.

SalvaPot

Oh god just a week left please someone hold me.

As for DLC characters, I really don't see them making more than 5, when making new characters they also have to be sure they work perfectly with every other single aspect of the game, and I'm pretty sure that takes way too much work. Also if they start to release lots and lots of characters can be harmful for a new smash bros for the next console, since a lot of people would just expect the old game to be updated with any character they could announce for the new game.

Also, too much DLC will make the game extremely incomplete if you get only the Regular version and realize your friend has 30% more characters than you because he has the DLC and now you have to pay up if you want to fight him online or something...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Funny enough, the last week of the wait will probably be the easiest with the MK DLC being out now and PM 3.5 coming later today. Feel like I'm not going to have enough time for those, let alone also fitting Smash 4 in there.

Assuming there are three DLC characters after Mewtwo for a total of four, which sounds reasonable to me, I would really like Knuckles, King K. Rool, and anyone from Paper Mario. I realize there's about a 0.3% chance of any of these happening, but I'm suggesting characters I want most, not who I think is actually likely.

Edit- as I've said before, knuckles would be really easy to implement. Same moveset as Sonic but with more damage and lower speed. Then give him a glide-y recovery that is more horizontally oriented compared to Sonic's mostly vertical recovery. Boom, done.

Masked Man

I said wow
Pretty much this. I wanted a Rhythm Heaven character on the roster, I just didn't know which one. And then the Gematsu leak happened and the Chorus Kids (or Marshal) became the only choice(s). I mean c'mon, Beyonce gives them her approval.

Beyonce is so adorable when she sings along. And I feel the same way! As a huge Rhythm Heaven fan, I always hoped the series would get a rep of some sort. The Gematsu leak just helped show me what it was that I really wanted.

I really like the Chorus Kids, but I would much rather have that Luchador from the Wii game. Especially if he had the reporter girl with him, working like Duck Hunt Duo.

Flowmoney

Bomberman should have been in smash.

He is as iconic as Mario , Sonic , Pacman and Megaman but not as hyped up by a fan base or expected.He is easily as recognizable to a good amount of people.

He fought Wario in a crossover that is better than the other Nintendo crossovers outside of smash.

Thought that Nintendo could pour one drink down for Hudson that had closest relationship to them out of any third party company.Hudson could have been working on your favorite Nintendo games and you don't even know.

oh, question, is 8 player special smash possible or is that info embargoed?

It's not embargoed, and no, it's not. 8-Player Smash is its own mode that's gated off from Special Smash; the closest you can really get to that is playing 8-Player Smash with whatever items you want on high.

Bomberman should have been in smash.

He is as iconic as Mario , Sonic , Pacman and Megaman but not as hyped up by a fan base or expected.He is easily as recognizable to a good amount of people.

He fought Wario in a crossover that is better than the other Nintendo crossovers outside of smash.

Thought that Nintendo could pour one drink down for Hudson that had closest relationship to them out of any third party company.Hudson could have been working on your favorite Nintendo games and you don't even know.

I... don't agree with this at all. I played tons of Bomberman games as a kid and happily go back to them today with friends, but Bomberman isn't even a quarter as iconic as Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man. I would still say he should be the next third-party character in line if there was going to be another one
(unless Nintendo somehow re-acquired Banjo-Kazooie, in which case I'd want it be them)
, but there's a steep drop in recognizability between the four that are in and Bomberman.

If you asked a bunch of people who were clueless about video games who all these characters are, the most would recognize Pac-Man and Mario by far, with very few recognizing Sonic and even fewer than that recognizing Mega Man. Bomberman wouldn't even register.

It's not embargoed, and no, it's not. 8-Player Smash is its own mode that's gated off from Special Smash; the closest you can really get to that is playing 8-Player Smash with whatever items you want on high.

I... don't agree with this at all. I played tons of Bomberman games as a kid and happily go back to them today with friends, but Bomberman isn't even a quarter as iconic as Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man. I would still say he should be the next third-party character in line if there was going to be another one
(unless Nintendo somehow re-acquired Banjo-Kazooie, in which case I'd want it be them)
, but there's a steep drop in recognizability between the four that are in and Bomberman.

If you asked a bunch of people who were clueless about video games who all these characters are, the most would recognize Pac-Man and Mario by far, with very few recognizing Sonic and even fewer than that recognizing Mega Man. Bomberman wouldn't even register.

I would say Bomberman is as iconic as Mega Man, both are currently in equaly as dead franchises and both had an equal amount of games pumped out rapid fire for like 20 years. I think you're greatly underestimating Bomberman and probably over estimating Mega Man, this coming from another user who names his user name after the MM franchise for the past 12 years. Bomberman's franchise being an easy to pick up and play party game might even mean more people have played Bomberman even if his games haven't sold as well as the other 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom