• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Is Uncharted 4 the generational leap we were hoping for?

This is just silly statement to make because you can't prove that did not do any research.
Do you really not see what you is be doing ?
You talk about how the engine might not be using PBR , we get info it does use it and now you saying you don't like how there PBR system works\looks .
You comparing a demo that was rush out in 2 to 3 week to a final game and UC4 still has 10 to 11 months to go .

No.. don't get it twisted. You saw slides that asked what is PBR and what they were trying to achieve. Truth be told, if I was in that meeting, I would have gone into specifics. I could easily show a microfacet model of Blinn with a Lambertian diffuse model and call it PBR. Guess what? neither of those models are physically plausible. I stated that I needed more info. I'm not denying they haven't implemented PBR, but if they did, it looks pretty darn subtle compared to the other games that have clearly used it.

And please stop with the demo rushed out and only 2 to 3 weeks to final stuff. If you can claim this game looking better than all others, then that means you already open the door for comparisons.

-griffy-

Banned
No.. don't get it twisted. You saw slides that asked what is PBR and what they were trying to achieve. Truth be told, if I was in that meeting, I would have gone into specifics. I could easily show a microfacet model of Blinn with a Lambertian diffuse model and call it PBR. Guess what? neither of those models are physically plausible. I stated that I needed more info. I'm not denying they haven't implemented PBR, but if they did, it looks pretty darn subtle compared to the other games that have clearly used it..

It seems entirely plausible that the reason it looks subtle is because the environment was largely made up of dry foliage and rock faces featuring matte surfaces, that would have almost no specular or reflections or anything featuring SSR aside from water. It's pretty an environment that would be make the use of PBR least obvious.

Loofy

It was downgraded.

Hair has no self-shadowing, the count of hairs also looks smaller.
tLScv7s.jpg

No light shafts
Uncharted-4-old-300x168.jpg
Uncharted-4-new-300x168.jpg

Lighting not showing any indirect
Uncharted-4-old-300x168.jpg
Uncharted-4-new2-300x168.jpg

Water drops gone
U-W-D-300x168.jpg

Sharp shadows cast from light source, not very detailed textures on the rocks ( I hate the work done on the rocks the most), hair isn't occluded properly. No self-shadowing of this body pieces (whip, shirt, etc..).

Read this article:

http://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot...vs-ryse-vs-assassins-creed-unity-vs-crysis-3/
The difference can probably be attributed to the fact that these are two different scenes.
ND has been doing 'hair self shadowing' and light shafts for awhile.

SaberEdge

Here ya go:

zsJN39.gif
_9Xofk.gif

Ryse destroys UC4 in overall look IMO. That's what I call a rock face with water coming down and shrubs covering it. And that's gameplay footage.. not a cutscene. Of all the pics I've seen on these threads, no one puts up actual gameplay footage screenshots.., why is that? That's what we'll be seeing 90% of the time.

I was just playing Ryse about an hour ago and it looks incredible. I have to take back what I said before about UC4 having better foliage than Ryse. The foliage is actually pretty similar between the two in terms of the specular reflectivity and the overall quality of it. I will need to see UC4 on my own screen (or at least some higher quality footage of more examples of it) before I can say for sure.

I do think the water and rocks look more natural and believable in the Ryse gif than in the UC4 gif.

You tend to be very forceful and antagonistic with your opinion, as if it has more objective weight to it than others. It tends to become less a discussion when you enter the thread and more a "Uncharted doesn't look good and you are wrong. Here's another game that does ____ better in a way that fits into my tastes and often times arbitrary rules for what constitutes good/better/"right" use of the technology."

Well, I apologize in advance for my forceful nature. It's not meant to try and steer people in any direction. But I am passionate about what I see and I just want people to critque as thoroughly as I do. Just saying a game is the best looking ever when I've clearly seen a shit load of games that give a much better overall presentation bugs me. I have to speak about it. I don't mean to be antagonistic.

I'll quit now... sorry guys.

No.. don't get it twisted. You saw slides that asked what is PBR and what they were trying to achieve. Truth be told, if I was in that meeting, I would have gone into specifics. I could easily show a microfacet model of Blinn with a Lambertian diffuse model and call it PBR. Guess what? neither of those models are physically plausible. I stated that I needed more info. I'm not denying they haven't implemented PBR, but if they did, it looks pretty darn subtle compared to the other games that have clearly used it.

And please stop with the demo rushed out and only 2 to 3 weeks to final stuff. If you can claim this game looking better than all others, then that means you already open the door for comparisons.

But i never said the game looks better than everything else ( The Order looks better for now and Star citizen )
Also what i am saying is fact the demo was rush out in 2 to 3 weeks and the game still has months to go .
So me saying the game could look better cause it has months to go it just as equal as you saying i think insert title looks better .

bargeparty

Well, I apologize in advance for my forceful nature. It's not meant to try and steer people in any direction. But I am passionate about what I see and I just want people to critque as thoroughly as I do. Just saying a game is the best looking ever when I've clearly seen a shit load of games that give a much better overall presentation bugs me. I have to speak about it. I don't mean to be antagonistic.

The fucking game isn't even out yet, far from it. What is wrong with you people? Seriously.

The difference can probably be attributed to the fact that these are two different scenes.

You can't tell hair self-shadowing with black hair. Put up an image of a blond and I can tell right away.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying it wasn't put in the demo.

I was just playing Ryse about an hour ago and it looks incredible. I have to take back what I said before about UC4 having better foliage than Ryse. The foliage is actually pretty similar between the two in terms of the specular reflectivity and the overall quality of it.

They are. But Ryse has light propagation -- UC4 doesn't.

I do think the water and rocks look more natural and believable in the Ryse gif than in the UC4 gif.

Anyone who has a decent set of eyes can tell that. I just think some GAFers won't admit it.

But that is your opinion and your free to it just like everyone else .
For me right now on consoles DC is best looking game to me since the weather patch.
Others might think not but that is my opinion .
If UC4 comes out and they have a stage with heavy rain , wind blowing and loads of high and low foliage moving i say it best looking since that's the type of gfx i like.
Not everyone has the same gfx taste and find the same things impressive while looking at it.

-griffy-

Banned
I don't mean to be antagonistic.

Anyone who has a decent set of eyes can tell that. I just think some GAFers won't admit it.

This is exactly what I'm talking about man. Does Ryse having a better waterfall make UC4's waterfall look like shit? Does the foliage having light propagation in Ryse make the foliage in UC4 look like shit? The answer is no, right?

Who gives a shit how many more technologies this game has over that game. It should be common sense that the number of technical bells and whistles a game has doesn't tell the whole story. Numerous times you've lorded over others and claimed you simply admire and point out good art, so it should be the overall look built by the artists that matter the most to you, yet you constantly just point out x game has this specific technical bullet point that the UC4 demo didn't seem to have as your entire basis of argument, when the mythical person who said "UC4 is the best looking game of all time!" you constantly bring up may not give a shit about that bullet point!

At a certain point what you are doing is entering a movie thread where someone said "Man, Interstellar is the best space movie I've ever seen" and saying "Actually no it's not, because 2001 contrasted human evolution with the stillness of space to a far greater degree and featured a much better AI antagonist and Sunshine's soundtrack brought that movies key moments to much more stirring heights than Zimmer's score could muster and Contact's take on relativity was objectively more advanced and blah blah blah."

SaberEdge

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but I've been really impressed with the water in DAI, especially on Storm Coast. I'm not an expert like you guys, but I have been playing ACU, Ryse, FC4 on a 970. Gonna pick up Driveclub tomorrow. I do appreciate reading the back and forth between VFx and many others.

I will agree that ACU maxed is the most impressive thing I've played on the plasma, although Ryse is right there. The latest from The Order looks amazing, more so than this for sure.

If UC4 looks like this and runs at 60, I will be super impressed. If just 30 though, not so much.

I have the same graphics card and I have played the same games and I share your opinion...on basically all of that.

A lot of Ryse talk in here!

Ryse looks incredible, especially for an Xbox One launch game; there's a reason it received a SIGGRAPH award. We know it was developed with incomplete devkit tools, so with a bit more time perhaps they could've achieved more than 900p or a stable 30fps framerate.

But UC4 has at least another 9 months of development left (at least) and is already very impressive in its Alpha state. While that won't stop the comparisons, I think we should wait until the final product to judge with such conviction as to how effects, shaders, lighting, etc are being implemented, but so far it is looking fantastic, especially Drake's model and the lighting.

Real-time graphics have come a long way over the past year, DriveClub and Forza Horizon 2 for example both look very impressive, and this is only the beginning of the generation.

These consoles will never be as powerful as a top-of-the-range PC, but they're certainly pumping out some visually impressive software in their early days, more so than the 360 or PS3 did in the same time frame.

This is exactly what I'm talking about man. Does Ryse having a better waterfall make UC4's waterfall look like shit? Does the foliage having light propagation in Ryse make the foliage in UC4 look like shit? The answer is no, right?

Correct. What did I say that was so wrong? Saber said that he can tell the difference in the overall quality of the rendered images -- not just the waterfall. All I said was that I can see it too and I'm sure many others can. Instead of them admitting it, they go on about water types, or the game is only pre-alpha.. stuff like that. It sounds like they are defending the game. We can find fault in several games. No game is perfect. So why is it so hard to admit?

Who gives a shit how many more technologies this game has over that game.

I'm sorry but I do actually. I like seeing the race of who will get to film quality first. It's very amusing for me. I buy games sometimes just for the graphics and have no intention of ever finishing them (i.e. ISS or DriveClub). Is that wrong?

[
[Numerous times you've lorded over others and claimed you simply admire and point out good art, so it should be the overall look built by the artists that matter the most to you, yet you constantly just point out x game has this specific technical bullet point that the UC4 demo didn't seem to have as your entire basis of argument, when the mythical person who said "UC4 is the best looking game of all time!" you constantly bring up may not give a shit about that bullet point!

I compare both.. art and tech. Again, what's wrong with that.

At a certain point what you are doing is entering a movie thread where someone said "Man, Interstellar is the best space movie I've ever seen" and saying "Actually no it's not, because 2001 contrasted human evolution with the stillness of space to a far greater degree and featured a much better AI antagonist and Sunshine's soundtrack brought that movies key moments to much more stirring heights than Zimmer's score could muster and Contact's take on relativity was objectively more advanced and blah blah blah."

Actually I would say "Actually, in my opinion, I don't think so..... etc.. etc.. "

I watch these forums everyday. And people make worse comments than I do. They'll either put up a GIF or tell them they are blind.. or any other one-liner smart comment. I at least try to show why I feel the way I do.

Hubble

Glad Ryse is finally getting some love. It was a tremendous feat graphically for a launch title. It looks amazing and the game is a good one. IMO it looks better than UC4 for now. The team that worked on Ryse are programming gods.

Downgrades I guess is the thing. I mean honestly UC4 doesn't look nowhere as close to the e3 trailer and I can be wrong but I thought it was said that was realtime or something indicative of the game's graphics.

omonimo

Banned

I'll be laugh when it will be released. Better you will be in an another forum for this time, believe me, really. You will be destroyed.

SaberEdge

True. But to be fair, object based motion blur was present in Uncharted 2, but was missing in Uncharted 3 (if I remember correctly), nor is it in Uncharted 4. Just because a certain graphical effect was in one of their games before doesn't guarantee it will be there in their future games.

I do hope that there will be volumetric lighting in the final game.

-griffy-

Banned
Correct. What did I say that was so wrong? Saber said that he can tell the difference in the overall quality of the rendered images -- not just the waterfall. All I said was that I can see it too and I'm sure many others can. Instead of them admitting it, they go on about water types, or the game is only pre-alpha.. stuff like that. It sounds like they are defending the game. We can find fault in several games. No game is perfect. So why is it so hard to admit?
Your offhand comment that "Anyone who has a decent set of eyes can see it" And why can't they just admit it, implying anyone who disagrees with you is just blindly disagreeing as a fanboy. It's demeaning in a way it doesn't need to be, especially when it's about comparing two shitty compressed gifs where subjectivity is completely warranted.

I'm sorry but I do actually. I like seeing the race of who will get to film quality first. It's very amusing for me. I buy games sometimes just for the graphics and have no intention of ever finishing them (i.e. ISS or DriveClub). Is that wrong?
I compare both.. art and tech. Again, what's wrong with that.
Actually I would say "Actually, in my opinion, I don't think so..... etc.. etc.. "
I watch these forums everyday. And people make worse comments than I do. They'll either put up a GIF or tell them they are blind.. or any other one-liner smart comment. I at least try to show why I feel the way I do.

There's nothing wrong with anything you're saying here, I was trying to point out that you have often focused on specific technical aspects while seemingly ignoring the capacity for someone to be judging the whole. "Man, the foliage looks so good in UC4!" countered with "Well, actually, Ryse/Crysis 3 has light propagation on the foliage so it obviously looks better." Followed by a comment like "Anyone with decent eyes could see it." When it's more subjective and completely reasonable that someone could still find the foliage or water or whatever better looking in UC4 than in a game that might have one technical advantage over it in that area. There's nothing wrong with admiring use of many technologies.

I've frankly spent far too much time worrying about what you think in this thread though, so I'll cool it.

True. But to be fair, object based motion blur was present in Uncharted 2, but was missing in Uncharted 3 (if I remember correctly), nor is it in Uncharted 4. Just because a certain graphical effect was in one of their games before doesn't guarantee it will be there in their future games.

It was missing at release supposedly as a glitch in Uncharted 3, but was patched in with patch notes saying "Fixed the missing motion blur effects." And it was present in The Last of Us (both on PS3 and PS4), so I have to assume it will appear in Uncharted 4 as well.

Glad Ryse is finally getting some love. It was a tremendous feat graphically for a launch title. It looks amazing and the game is a good one. IMO it looks better than UC4 for now. The team that worked on Ryse are programming gods.

Downgrades I guess is the thing. I mean honestly UC4 doesn't look nowhere as close to the e3 trailer and I can be wrong but I thought it was said that was realtime or something indicative of the game's graphics.

They said it was in engine \ in game gfx but not gameplay .
Pretty sure come launch time cutscenes going to look as good they always look better than gameplay even if there real time.

Your offhand comment that "Anyone who has a decent set of eyes can see it" And why can't they just admit it, implying anyone who disagrees with you is just blindly disagreeing as a fanboy. It's demeaning in a way it doesn't need to be, especially when it's about comparing two shitty compressed gifs where subjectivity is completely warranted.

Fair enough. I get what you are saying. Can you be my good conscience in my threads to keep me from offending unnecessarily? And I'm being serious. My wife gets after me for how I talk too.. lol!

There's nothing wrong with anything you're saying here, I was trying to point out that you have often focused on specific technical aspects while seemingly ignoring the capacity for someone to be judging the whole. "Man, the foliage looks so good in UC4!" countered with "Well, actually, Ryse/Crysis 3 has light propagation on the foliage so it obviously looks better." Followed by a comment like "Anyone with decent eyes could see it." When it's more subjective and completely reasonable that someone could still find the foliage or water or whatever better looking in UC4 than in a game that might have one technical advantage over it in that area. There's nothing wrong with admiring use of many technologies.

I can abide by that as long as some peeps don't come out harsh with these offensive one-liners. I should be able to defend myself.

I've frankly spent far too much time worrying about what you think in this thread though, so I'll cool it.

It's all good man!

Jtrizzy

8/10. Needs a bit more work on the subtlety.

I buy games just to see the graphics too lol. I bought Ryse for that reason, and am getting Driveclub tomorrow and I don't even like racing games not named Mario Kart. I didn't finish Shadow Fall or Second Son, but bought them mostly for the graphics.

-griffy-

Banned
What about the difference in lighting?

The lighting is different in the two scenes as well. In one it's night and direct, edge-lit moonlight on a wet character, in the other it's a slightly low, slightly over cast sunlight, a more indirect, softer light on a dry character. In one it's a cutscene with precisely placed lights to perfectly illuminate the character, in the other it's a larger gameplay scene with more basic lighting due to the more open environment and unpredictability of character movement.

Without direct comparisons of the exact same scene it's very hard to judge exactly what kind of downgrade, if any, there is.

Superflat

I'm talking about the look of the water seen from a distance. It doesn't look good at all.. no light propagates through it.

Look at AC:Black Flag (best looking water in any game)

assassinscreed4blackflagfall.jpg

Notice how you can see light propagate through it and the specular highlights are consistent and in a believable manner.

Can you explain to me what light propagating through water is exactly and what I'm supposed to see that's more impressive? Because it kinda looks like your just taking the piss by comparing a shot in broad daylight (AC:BF) to overcast (UC4) and saying that it's missing specular highlights and lights passing through shit when there's no direct light source.

Photos from life:

Uncharted 4:

As for UC4 vs Ryse: Waterfall Edition, I can't imagine one looking THAT much better than the other. UC4 has the best I've seen to date. Feel free to throw me a native res video of Ryse waterfalls.

Well because he or someone else finds that Ryse waterfalls or waters look better according to his personal taste (and biased opinions like he admitted but then refuted) so everyone must agree with him or them while they are just purely based on personal likes and dislikes and not wanting to acknowledge the th truth since U4 and Ryse and AC4 both use different types of water/waterfalls. He still insists on comparing apples to oranges well even worse since apples and oranges aren't the same races but he is like saying I find the white persian cat more beautiful and "impressive" than the black siamese cat (same race but not same species here and the example is better) and everyone who likes the black siamese cat is dumb, or silly and doesn't have good eyes instead of settling for saying that it was his personal likes and dislikes and when someone explains to him that they are totally different species, he accuses those people of using stupid pretexts to not acknowledge that his "personal choice" is the best. Anyway. I don't love neither the white persians nor the black siamese, he can get some rest ;)

Can you explain to me what light propagating through water is exactly and what I'm supposed to see that's more impressive? Because it kinda looks like your just taking the piss by comparing a shot in broad daylight (AC:BF) to overcast (UC4) and saying that it's missing specular highlights and lights passing through shit when there's no direct light source.

Photos from life:

Uncharted 4:

As for UC4 vs Ryse: Waterfall Edition, I can't imagine one looking THAT much better than the other. UC4 has the best I've seen to date. Feel free to throw me a native res video of Ryse waterfalls.

I explained to him that heavy seas are almost opaque and showed him videos of that and you provided photos now, but he still insists that all waters need to have specular highlights like in AC4 (which even has totally different lighting situation and setting) . I even showed him heavy waterfalls with heavy foam : a totally different type from Ryse. Well it seems for him that different (from his beloved NO PS4 games) = worse !

Anyone can try harder. It is in vain !

Man, it's crazy the arguments when the games already looks like this:

Uncharted4InGamedemo2_zpsde2a3d58.png

Unchartedingame_zps2aa8e208.png

This was a playable demo from a game a bit ways out, I was surprise it ran as smooth as it does already.

Feel almost like it's just me with how the last few pages went, but this looks incredible to me, I mean damn. o_O

kitch9

Banned

Bye.

someone tweet god, this is unacceptable!

All waters should look like the Caribbean happy shiny waters instead of looking heavy, obnoxious and dreary. waterfalls should look limpid too like Ryse instead of looking foamy , heavy and disgusting like spitting toothpasta in some places in the world.
/s

gamerMan

I found the panel about Drake really interesting. There are so many cool details in the gameplay demo that I didn't notice. How crazy is it that you can see Drake's pants get wet as he walks into the water. His hair blows in the wind. Heck they even made his chest hair move. I loved when they said "Take that NeoGaf". That is next-gen right there. After I watched the video, I thought that maybe Digital Foundry got it wrong. I want to believe. Naughty Dog is my favorite developer of all time and I completely believe this will be the best looking game ever.

3o2F45o.png

But when I look at the two faces side by side, my brain tells me that the E3 one looks real and the one in the game doesn't. I even tried covering one up and looking at the other to ignore the time of the day. Same thing. I don't know what it is. It's frustrating when I see how much work Naughty Dog put into this. I know other people say its the time of the day but for me it is more than that. Something about the way the light catches his hair and illuminates his face. There's just the right amount of translucency in the e3 Drake to make it look so convincing.

I asked a couple of friends that don't play games if the person in the photo was the same person. They looked at me like I was crazy. They said one looks real and the other looks like it is made out of plastic. Some of them said the game one looks fake, sick, or not alive.

In the end, it doesn't matter. The game is still early and looks freaking unbelievable. Not just the graphics, but the next-gen game play. I can't wait to play it.

Man, it's crazy the arguments when the games already looks like this:

Uncharted4InGamedemo2_zpsde2a3d58.png

Unchartedingame_zps2aa8e208.png

This was a playable demo from a game a bit ways out, I was surprise it ran as smooth as it does already.

Feel almost like it's just me with how the last few pages went, but this looks incredible to me, I mean damn. o_O
It blows my mind every time i watch it. Best looking foliage and character models ive ever seen.

Makes me want a next gen ratchet and clank. When ToD came out it blew my fucking mind.especially that huge dinosaur planet. I can only imagine what the ratchet and clank universe would look like with the new hardware.

FuckingCmoninsomniacpls

Azdoune

Still some comparaison between a pre alpha footage and retail games?

And vfx saying that he bought drive club only for graphisms. Drive club gameplay is awesome. Best handling for a driving game since few years ..

In one year it will be glorious to up this topic..

It blows my mind every time i watch it. Best looking foliage and character models ive ever seen.

Makes me want a next gen ratchet and clank. When ToD came out it blew my fucking mind.especially that huge dinosaur planet. I can only imagine what the ratchet and clank universe would look like with the new hardware.

FuckingCmoninsomniacpls

I want a new Jak And Daxter with open world gameplay like before. Why everyone is forgetting this awesome series? :'(

Well, you'll be happy to know then that most PBR games right now do use a lambertian diffuse, mainly because the cost/benift ratio for something like Oren-Nayar is a bit ridiculous. For very specific materials you could potentialy make a case for better diffuse, but it's a tiny payoff.

And yes, GGX does give nicer specular in general, but it's as much of a hack as Blinn-Phong and all the others. In the end, this is physically "based", not physically accurate. We're a long way from that yet. And again, several PBR based games shipped with Blinn Phong.

None of this maters though, because you have no clue what uncharted is using so you can't say it's more or less advanced than anything else. I'm not defending UC here, just don't like people attacking games without any basis.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be laugh when it will be released. Better you will be in an another forum for this time, believe me, really. You will be destroyed.

What is it about the Uncharted series that creates such maniacs out of its fans?

SaberEdge

It was missing at release supposedly as a glitch in Uncharted 3, but was patched in with patch notes saying "Fixed the missing motion blur effects." And it was present in The Last of Us (both on PS3 and PS4), so I have to assume it will appear in Uncharted 4 as well.

Oh, that's right, I remember now. That's what I was thinking of. It was missing at release, but later patched back in.

I do think it's pretty likely that we will see both OBMB and light shafts in the final game. I hope so at least. If used correctly both of those techniques can really improve a game's visuals.

Top Bottom