• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

HTupolev

I don't think that was fog, just low volumetric clouds passing by the track.
Given the history of how video games separate related real-world phenomena into different systems, I understand what that sentence means.

But reading it still makes me feel like I'm going insane.

benzy

Given the history of how video games separate phenomena into systems, I understand what that sentence means.

But reading it still makes me feel like I'm going insane.

Lol. I didn't even think of it when I wrote it, my mind was completely in a videogame world.

Noobcraft

Now that you mention it, it looks strange in this shot. Seemed pretty much on point while driving though.

3aws1s.png

Best IRL pic I could find:
116228225.jpg

Forza 5:
GetPhoto.ashx

Looks like the same lighting engine to me.

gt6goodwoodshorteroblba.gif

mxzvkx_Prologue---Kyoto.gif

Only difference I notice is some phototravel locations have baked tree shadows on the environment, while other travel places have real-time lighting/shadow changes. Car lighting especially looks pretty much identical.

Nice screen tearing you got there.

Afrikan

These were dust clouds, maybe?
Or what benzy said.

this might be it. It wasn't moving like the example Benzy showed.

It looked like dense yellow fog driving towards it, but when you drove through the section you're able to see.

the part of the track Benzy showed is the same location I'm talking about however.

EGOMON

I come to this thread to mostly look at nice car pics, not wank over GT6 and shit on every other game, which seems to be like 70% of the chatter here.

And saying things like "Everyone else will be put to shame when PD turn up to PS4" is really just dreaming. We barely know anything about the game yet, for all we know it will have GT4 cars again, reused tracks and have the same background as GT6 because they class it as "good enough!".

It's like me saying Forza 5 was a crock of shit, but Forza 6 will make PD consider leaving the industry because they just can't compete
which is of course true

Gimme dem sick PCars pics, yo!
Where exactly PD can't compete with T10?
Commercially? Lol even GT prologue sold better than mainline forza games
Graphically? The fact we are comparing a last gen game from PD with new gen game from T10 and actually beating it in some cases, speaks volume about the competition
Technically? Dynamic weather, day cycle, adaptive tessellation etc.

It's nice to want things

etta

my hard graphic balls
PCars doesn't feel finished because they don't have the Ferrari license? Wut?

Yea, for me it feels like stuff is missing, equal to how GT has only 20% (?) legit new car models, rest are PS2 ones. I don't own GT6, only played a handful of times, and I prefer Forza over it, and Assetto Corsa over PCars. They feel more complete to me.

ShamePain

Banned
I'm going to point out you're being a bit disingenuous here. I went just now and took shots of some of the signs on the track. If you are near the signs when taking shots most aren't that lo-res. They may be if you zoom in from far away while their LOD is lower or you pick certain signs. Your shots aren't representative of the average. There are some super crisp signs all over the place, even if not every one is. I had to actively look for the signs as bad as the ones you posted. :p

I took the shots that weren't too hard to take because of GT6's cumbersome method of using photo mode, the cars were parked right next to the signs in both games, so it's not like I zoomed in halfway across the track. Some signs are more highres in Forza, some are in GT6 like that Fujitsu sign, there are some things I've noticed during this session that GT does to preserve memory like the curbs having repeated textures in GT6. The textures are more highres in FM5 in general but I'd say in GT6 they're closer to the source in terms of colors. The track in general has this strange yellow hue in FM5 which is a far cry from how it looks in real life.

ShamePain

Banned
I know this is mostly a graphics thread but out of curiosity, has anyone out there actually made a deep and thorough analysis comparison on the physics/simulation aspect of these games?

Anyway, this video of pCars suspension is hypnotizing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c14Hk3eGHg

It's impossible to be objective in physics discussion because we don't have access to underlying physics engines and what values go into them. Physics discussions mostly result in comparing the feel of the physics rather than the physics themselves. And in this case one person might prefer one over another just because it feels better to them which doesn't necessarily correspond to having a better physics engine.

saladine1

It's impossible to be objective in physics discussion because we don't have access to underlying physics engines and what values go into them. Physics discussions mostly result in comparing the feel of the physics rather than the physics themselves. And in this case one person might prefer one over another just because it feels better to them which doesn't necessarily correspond to having a better physics engine.

Fair enough.

Three

LOL, jpg compression isn't changing his 1080p shots into pixelated graphic edges.

You sound like you're just picking sides rather than being honest. He's 100% right about tesselation and lighting in GT5/6. He did however, post a couple bad shots that aren't what the average sign along the track looks like.

I'm pointing that out, don't make me take 20 shots of different signs. Do you have Forza 5? Why don't you take some shots Three? Come back and let me know what you think after you do.

I posted game-play shots, and pre-supersampled shots that clearly show what is there including my camera settings. If I go down the track there are 50 signs that are higher res than the one shot of a couple signs he took a shot of.

He may come back and agree that on average the signs are in fact better looking than those examples.

Edit** Let me point one more obvious thing you should have thought of. If my shots are "zoomed in" more than his (how would you even know)...then why would they look better? That makes ZERO sense....right. In that case, they should look MUCH worse.

Stop accusing everybody of an agenda, it's uncalled for. He took no stance and nor did I. He just contributed to the thread by providing screenshots without "taking sides" on any of it. He said nothing when he provided those screens.

Those graphic edges are aliasing, the aliasing you said you couldn't see earlier, because it's zoomed out there is aliasing and none when zoomed in more (the texture itself has smoothing) and the jpeg compression artefacts causes it to look worse than it is because it's high contrast. You would have seen the same if you took like for like shots and uploaded it to the same place. There was no agenda on his part, he took like for like shots and said nothing. The GT shot he provided was not even better or anything, it was actually an example of where Forzas was higher res:

Some textures comparison between GT6/FM5 on Mount Panorama Circuit (new to both series).
mountpanoramamotorracfpuhi.jpg

getphotox8k4a.jpg

So I'm not sure why you think it's disingenuous or why you take issue with it. I just found it funny that you would be calling him disingenuous for zoomed in shots.
When I said you're actually more disingenuous with the zoomed in shots I was referring to how you turned this comparison

Into this,
No, it's not.

ibdEAjypWavGW5.png

There is nothing more impressive in the bottom image than the top. Not one thing.
The [GT5] image looks horrid on my 46" Sharp.
The polycount is obviously very low.
Also, in real life, you can't see those buildings like that on Bathurst.

by zooming in on the jpegs (not even correctly).

Since you had an issue with zoomed in shots and how they aren't fair comparisons because they actually look bad on your 46inch Sharp TV or the zoom being incorrect, and since you're throwing accusations of dishonesty around I'm curious to know why you had an issue with almost every other like for like Shamepain comparison except the one below. The only one where zoom isn't the same because of the camera restriction on Forzavista.

GT6 Photo travel
syracuse-night_29nvs9g.jpg

FM5 Forzavista
getphotojzzm2.jpg

Why did you not zoom in on this one and show how it looks on your 46 inch Sharp TV too and comment on polycount like the other comparisons you took issue with? Maybe you're taking sides.

Qi3tGT.png

Accusations are not nice and this thread can do without it. You of all people should know better too.

MouldyK

It's time for the 2002 Lotus Esprit Appreciation Post!

Because I spent £2.50 on the damn car and I love it in all car games, so might aswell take some shoddy pictures for here.

Probably the Best Picture. said:

When will Photo Mode do good mirror reflections? Atleast there are reflections in game...unlike The Crew! said:

Wanted to see if I could see my speedometer. said:

Probably the 2nd Best Picture. said:

Low-Res Adverts! said:

Noobcraft

I swear the India track has a setting where there is dense thick yellow fog. No rain. But just fog.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong...haven't played in that setting in a while.

If I come across it again, I'll save it.
There is a yellow haze on one of the tour mode races there. I've got a picture I took while playing. (Share button -> USB -> abload)

It's definitely not foggy though, just a yellow haze.
driveclub_20141010161zvxz6.jpg

ShamePain

Banned
This is strange though.
I remember Forza 5 lod0 models having basically no polygonal seam in sight, or at least not this apparent. This looks relatively low-ish poly.

Forza 5 models have tons of polygon edges, basically any round object other than wheels and wheel arches. Guess a million polygons is not enough.

Noobcraft

Forza 5 models have tons of polygon edges, basically any round object other than wheels and wheel arches. Guess a million polygons is not enough.
They spend some of those polygons on bodywork and the interior though. It probably isn't enough to get 1:1 models for most vehicles.
sun_mar_8_15-54-53_mdpssn1.png

Yea, for me it feels like stuff is missing, equal to how GT has only 20% (?) legit new car models, rest are PS2 ones. I don't own GT6, only played a handful of times, and I prefer Forza over it, and Assetto Corsa over PCars. They feel more complete to me.

Well, personally I would kill for a real Porsche license. None of them have it. I still think that (at least some of the games you listed) feel finished to me. :)

I know this is mostly a graphics thread but out of curiosity, has anyone out there actually made a deep and thorough analysis comparison on the physics/simulation aspect of these games?

Anyway, this video of pCars suspension is hypnotizing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c14Hk3eGHg

Personally my favorites are Assetto and PCars. I'd love a "professional" analysis between the two.

DD

wow, I've never played this game. The lighting and dust in that game looks great.

Especially this bit

yDPQJW.gif

It's still in early access on Steam. It uses the last gen engine, but it looks nice. Not even close to a Driveclub visually, but it's okay. What makes it special is the fact that this game is everything people always asked Codemasters to make, and a little more. Tight gameplay mechanics (it's a sim now), longer and tighter tracks... it's bloody awesome, even in it's current state.

EDIT: we're running a GAF league, if anyone is interested: https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/leagues/league/14770/neogaf-league
There's also the OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1036564

ShamePain

Banned
It's still in early access on Steam. It uses the last gen engine, but it looks nice. Not even close to a Driveclub visually, but it's okay. What makes it special is the fact that this game is everything people always asked Codemasters to make, and a little more. Tight gameplay mechanics (it's a sim now), longer and tighter tracks... it's bloody awesome, even in it's current state.

EDIT: we're running a GAF league, if anyone is interested: https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/leagues/league/14770/neogaf-league

Man, those driveclub comparisons again, this game is made on pocket change with what 20 guys I think, seems a little unfair to me.

DD

Man, those driveclub comparisons again, this game is made on pocket change with what 20 guys I think, seems a little unfair to me.

I know, and I'm glad for it, because my PC can run it fine. And pocket change or not, it's the best thing in the racing genre to come up in the last 15 years, IMHO. :3

le-seb

When will Photo Mode do good mirror reflections?
Good reflections like in geometrically accurate, according to the camera's position?
I wonder if GT6 doesn't do this already.

If you're simply speaking of nice (pretty detailed, albeit possibly inaccurate) reflections, I find that Driveclub has some pretty good ones:
driveclub_201503152342ysxc.jpg

ShapeGSX

Good reflections like in geometrically accurate, according to the camera's position?
I wonder if GT6 doesn't do this already.

If you're simply speaking of nice (pretty detailed, albeit possibly inaccurate) reflections, I find that Driveclub has some pretty good ones:
driveclub_201503152342ysxc.jpg

It's too bad that self reflections are so hard. That mirror sticks out like a sore thumb.

le-seb

In this case, and many others, the game is simply not refreshing what should be seen in the mirror when you move the camera.
What's shown here is certainly accurate from the driver's point of view.

I'm not sure it's that hard, because the game does it in real time when you're driving (although it's a simplified version, with many objects and effects removed.)
But yes, I wish they were refreshed too.

Codemasters stepping away from their casual trash route? I might have to check this out.

thelastword

Banned
MouldyK said:
I come to this thread to mostly look at nice car pics, not wank over GT6 and shit on every other game, which seems to be like 70% of the chatter here.

And saying things like "Everyone else will be put to shame when PD turn up to PS4" is really just dreaming. We barely know anything about the game yet, for all we know it will have GT4 cars again, reused tracks and have the same background as GT6 because they class it as "good enough!".

It's like me saying Forza 5 was a crock of shit, but Forza 6 will make PD consider leaving the industry because they just can't compete which is of course true

Gimme dem sick PCars pics, yo!
It's really the pedigree of the developer at play, I don't think anyone is shitting on other developers really, just stating Poliphony's accomplishments on the hardware they had. They do have a knack of being overambitious with the hardware they're working on, I personally like the fact that they are, but perhaps they need to tone it down just a bit for more consistency overall.

The biggest problem with the GT series last gen was the slight drops in framerate in comparison to Forza's solid 60fps. On the flipside, could you imagine the framerate of a GT last gen with no dynamic lighting, no day night cycles, no dynamic weather, running at 1280 x 720P? GT would probably run at 90-120fps, but no, GT5 was 1280 x 1080p and GT6 got a boost at 1440 x 1080p which was a far cry for many racers then, of course all of that with all the features mentioned above present.

It must also be noted that the alpha effects in the GT series were second to none, we're talking smoke, dust, snow rain effects all boosted in quality for GT6 at a higher resolution, plus remember, reflections, even those from mirrors all updated at the 60fps of the game's engine and of course you had tessellation and some of the best PP effects in replays. Technically the accomplishments were better than everything else by a huge margin. It's from that perspective people are lauding some praise on PD, the expectation is great when we gauge what they did with 256Mb of Vram.

My only hope is that they don't try to render GT7 at 2k/4k internally and downscale, lol. They're mad enough to do so. 1080p with 4xMsaa and some TAA to kill the shimmering is more than enough. 60fps should be priority, I have no doubt textures, tracks lighting and effects will be gorgeous. No need to kill your framerate with an extra resolution burden.

VMAN01

Can someone explain how they are able to get the rain drops to accurately wrap around certain objects on the cars? I mean around the shape of the brake light and its cut out.

lwZbXRn.jpg

shandy706

(snip lots of text).

I pointed out that wasn't what the signs looked like on average and in general on that track.

He came back and agreed on that.

The cut and enhance image of the distant scenery was a direct cut and paste from both default resolution images. Both images were then enlarged, at the same rate together, to make viewing them easier. That was done in Photoshop. Software I've been using for over 17 years.

I didn't make any counter point on the tessellated image as he is correct that it is impressive and should be used in all racers. Especially in garage/Forzavista/special photomodes.

:)

etta

my hard graphic balls
Well, personally I would kill for a real Porsche license. None of them have it. I still think that (at least some of the games you listed) feel finished to me. :)

Personally my favorites are Assetto and PCars. I'd love a "professional" analysis between the two.

Well, the EA Porsche license is due to expire this year, right? So I am sure in early 2016, there will be Porsche DLC for everything, GT, Forza, AC, PCars... etc.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So glad this thread came up.

That first race on DRIVECLUB's Start Line tour is fucking incredible.

I don't think anything else out now touches it.

wow, I've never played this game. The lighting and dust in that game looks great.

Especially this bit

yDPQJW.gif

I know this is the next gen *graphics* face off, but I advise everyone to give DiRT Rally a good listen. The sound engine is absolutely amazing, it blows everything else out of the water and nothing comes close.

Also, in terms of simulation it's also great. Apparently air pressure/thinning has an actual effect on power in the game, so when Pikes Peak comes out your car will become weaker as it goes up.

Source please?

Even if there is a source, I doubt it'll go down that way. EA will probably renew the contract well before it's up, like they did in 2010. I've heard that they got a 10 year licence in 2000 for NFS Porsche Unleashed, then renewed it before its 2010 expiration for another 5 years. The only time I've ever seen a case of "quick, EA's licence is expiring, push out a new DLC before it starts again" is the Pagani Huayra in FM4.

benzy

I hope they bring back the volume of smoke in GT7. No other racing game I've seen gave so much smoke and it was glorious when drifting and everyone behind you could not see a thing xD

Yeah, I doubt they'll be taking out the smoke tech. It should look even better on current-gen. :D

Well, the EA Porsche license is due to expire this year, right? So I am sure in early 2016, there will be Porsche DLC for everything, GT, Forza, AC, PCars... etc.

Kaz seems pretty sure he'll be able to get Porsche when the license ends, so hopefully this means no more EA moneyhats and Porsche decides to branch out to other games.

Kaz said:
"We actually have a good relationship with Porsche - and as soon as the situation with their contract changes, one of these days they'll appear in Gran Turismo."

With Gran Turismo 6 looking to introduce 12 months worth of additional cars, will it be happening within the lifespan of Polyphony's next game? "That, I'm not sure about. I think the Porsche and EA contract, the terms are a little bit longer."

Top Bottom