• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoë Quinn writes on games industry's reaction to harassment "Risky Business"

So what is going to change exactly? I will pick up a game i like the look of and play it, that won't change no matter what happens internally industry wise in regards to this poor woman's plight.

You'll be playing less and less games that relegate women and minorities as one dimensional and/or side characters. That's the only goal people like Quinn ever want but you treat her like an idiot because of what?

So what is going to change exactly? I will pick up a game i like the look of and play it, that won't change no matter what happens internally industry wise in regards to this poor woman's plight.

A man of the people.

A glorious display of exuberant concern for the plight of the disprivileged. I'm convinced beyond words.

ViviOggi

I don't care about this woman as she is a moron like sarkeesian. I don't care about the minute scale of misogyny they seem to think is going to throw the planet off it's axis. I also don't care about crappy reviewers because i don't even bother with them anymore.

The people harassing her do need to understand that she will change nothing as the industry doesn't care about her sob story and the cool thing is that isn't even a problem. I feel no need to send hateful messages to this woman because she isn't going to ruin my hobby with her BS, mobile gaming is. :D
That sweet KiA karma

I'll let someone with more patience try to explain to someone like you how things will change. Let's just say if you don't adjust your tune then you're going to be left behind in due time.

So i have to be Team Quinn or can i not dislike her for being an arse and the morons harassing her?

You can dislike her all you want, but you're adding nothing but vitriol to the discussion. Your input has shown nothing of valuable.

raphier

Banned
Why do you think the industry will be more receptive in 5-10 years? If it doesn't care now, why do you think it'll care later? If there's nothing to push towards that change, why would the industry react differently?

Mostly a room of breather. People retire and new people come from different cultures. I often find that the social world is self healing. Everyone can be wohoo at one point but ten years later everyone can be different. It's a ticking bomb now that her situation happened and it was heard the first time.

Noaloha

As much as it pains me to say it, the intentions of the initial group, the one which fashioned the snowball which went on down the mountain to grow into #GG, their intentions largely won out. They got what they wanted. Scattered success, but enough I assume for the fuckers to feel pretty pleased about themself. They managed to create that "smoke without fire" which I think Quinn's referring to. From way back, their intent was to, at the least, force Quinn out of the industry, with a hope that their actions additionally made her life a living hell and, disgustingly, with some having an ultimate goal of pushing at her history with mental illness to trigger her into doing something terrible. In addition to Quinn herself as a target, her 'shields' are also considered perfectly fair game.

Just some example images from their before-the-hashtag-happened prep:
(screens taken here and here)

elyTLyq.png

kxITWHi.png

CIP85XY.png

yDjrOEW.png

Point being, as Quinn's blog suggests and regarding what she's so (obviously) furious about, the intention of the anti-Quinn(&etc) group that manipulated social media into becoming such a grand scale shitshow, their intentions largely bore out. They wanted to ruin Quinn's reputation, and, pockets here and there aside, they succeeded. There are still posts made now when Quinn's name is brought up, posts along the lines of "Zoe Quinn, isn't she that girl who fucked journos for good reviews or something?" Facts matter not one whit when rumour is like wildfire, or, if you prefer, a fire that was never there but there sure was a shitload of smoke.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
being emotional about it is one thing,but having control of the situation is another. Kicking the hornet's nest occasionally will only make it angrier. These people fantasize about being bad to her. If I learned anything from psychology class is that when you reinforce someone's fantasy they are going to strengthen their grip. It's difficult, but by ignoring it for a while helps her cause despite being probably the worst option avialable, but it is the solution to the problem. Think about the Lewinsky scandal.

scandals tend to ruin lives. Any scandals, even family matters can leave you homeless. And she can try working somewhere else, like you know, starbucks, editorial of fashion magazine, wildlife or some less sexist place. Whatever, it's her choice. It's just that this page has been closed on her as it has closed on million of other scandals before her. And they all have same pattern.

quit it with the victim blaming and the "just go work elsewhere" nonsense

Dryk

The people harassing her do need to understand that she will change nothing as the industry doesn't care about her sob story and the cool thing is that isn't even a problem
Yeah sure, it's nothing to worry about. It's just the gaming community's chickens coming home to roost and driving an innocent woman from her home for six months, then harassing her daily for another couple. Absolutely no problems here.

Of course they wouldn't speak about it, that's their money dispensers that's doing this toxic shit. They dare not risk losing costumers for a few developers that they could easily replace with a flick of their wrist. Doesn't help that they cultivated that culture for years.
Between this article and the FIFA thread it's becoming increasingly hard not to go on a random anti-capitalistic rant the last few days

Seeing all the fanatical War Boys in Mad Max Fury Road has given me a much more amusing mental picture of these people when they make obvious ban-me posts.

I LIVE, I DIE, I LIVE AGAIN, Gates of Valhalla, etc.

Gaming needs its Fury Road. Big budget, incredibly-shot and scored, and unbashedably pro-feminist while demonstrating that a work can be feminist and also FUCKING AWESOME at the same time.

jonno394

This kind of shit really makes me hate this hobby.

The worst thing is that there is people like this in game journalism and the actual industry, too.

It doesn't make me hate the hobby, just a portion of the people who enjoy said hobby.

Mostly a room of breather. People retire and new people come from different cultures. I often find that the social world is self healing. Everyone can be wohoo at one point but ten years later everyone can be different. It's a ticking bomb now that her situation happened and it was heard the first time.

Because "just waiting it" out has worked out so well in curbing pervasive social issues? She should give up her livelihood for half a decade because these things are going to magically repair themselves?

Get real.

raphier

Banned
quit it with the victim blaming and the "just go work elsewhere" nonsense

victim blaming, really? How about harsh reality? People have been shunned for less. CEO's for twitter campaign gone wrong. And you know what? They're smarter than to push constantly at the hornet's nest. It's clear it has won and it has only ourselves to blame.

Because "just waiting it" out has worked out so well in curbing pervasive social issues? She should give up her livelihood for half a decade because these things are going to magically repair themselves?

Get real.
As opposite of her to push back and then cry that it backfires everytime?

No man, it will just naturally get better in its own. Just give it 5-10 years ladies.

Dear Rosa Parks: we are not ready for you to sit at the front of the bus, pls wait 5-10 years and maybe go sit in other places in the meantime, like maybe the lunch counter or the beach or other less racist places

victim blaming, really? How about harsh reality? People have been shunned for less. CEO's for twitter campaign gone wrong. And you know what? They're smarter than to push constantly at the hornet's nest. It's clear it has won and it has only ourselves to blame.

You're saying the harassment Zoe has received is due to her "kicking the hornet's nest." Thus you are blaming the victim of the hornet nest. So yes, you are victim blaming. I don't care if this is 'reality' (at least the one you perceive), it doesn't make it right. I recommend you quit digging that hole.

cakely

A small, very vocal minority is taking my hobby and making the people in it look like the very worst sort of misogynistic creeps.

I don't care about this woman as she is a moron like sarkeesian. I don't care about the minute scale of misogyny they seem to think is going to throw the planet off it's axis. I also don't care about crappy reviewers because i don't even bother with them anymore.

The people harassing her do need to understand that she will change nothing as the industry doesn't care about her sob story and the cool thing is that isn't even a problem. I feel no need to send hateful messages to this woman because she isn't going to ruin my hobby with her BS, mobile gaming is. :D

Thank you, GAF, for having zero tolerance for GG associated bullshit. Seriously.

Okay, stop. Just. Stop. If you think things should change, fine. But don't drag the civil rights movement into this and pretend that these two things are equal.

But this is a textbook definition of victim blaming.

I am constantly amazed at Zoe's bravery in handling this whole situation. If I were in her shoes all I would want to do is lie down and die. Even as a dude I've deleted some of my own tweets about GamerGate out of fear of retaliation from these morons. I don't know how she does it every day, but I applaud her for it.

I imagine someone finding the phone number to Quinn's mother's and calls her every night for a week straight, whispering in explicit detail the most explicitly lurid fantasy about breaking in and sexually torturing her daughter, all while reciting her bank account number to show that he's serious.

In tears, Quinn she runs to the local police station in hopes that in this society of laws, there'll be some form of protection or at least basic human sympathy to something that has a very real chance of resulting in her death.

Instead, she meets you, a police chief behind a desk who doesn't bother to put down their morning coffee while shrugging his shoulders and saying "Well.. have you tried just quitting your job and hiding for ten years? Sounds like it's your own fault for getting bothered by all this."

raphier

Banned
You're saying the harassment Zoe has received is due to her "kicking the hornet's nest." Thus you are blaming the victim of the hornet nest. So yes, you are victim blaming. I don't care if this is 'reality' (at least the one you perceive), it doesn't make it right. I recommend you quit digging that hole.
no, I am saying it continues because it's still hot topic. What do you actually want for this thing to fix itself? Her win? for bad guys to go away? The question is how you do it? There are entire companies that operate around this whole problem.

I imagine someone finding the phone number to Quinn's mother's and calls her every night for a week straight, whispering in explicit detail the most explicitly lurid fantasy about breaking in and sexually torturing her daughter, all while reciting her bank account number to show that he's serious.

In tears, Quinn she runs to the local police station in hopes that in this society of laws, there'll be some form of protection or at least basic human sympathy to something that has a very real chance of resulting in her death.

Instead, she meets you, a police chief behind a desk who doesn't bother to put down their morning coffee while shrugging his shoulders and saying "Well.. have you tried just quitting your job and hiding for ten years? Sounds like it's your own fault for getting bothered by all this."

bah, you don't get it. We're past that. she already has a restraining order and gone to the cops. What do you do AFTER that??

Alexander Lifschitz is not my boyfriend any more than Amal Alamuddin is George Clooney’s wife.

this bit confused the fuck out of my stupid arse for about five minutes LOL

"...but Amal Alamuddin is George Clooney's Wife..."

hmmm

"ah...."

It really pisses me off that these shitheads have some power in this, like the people they target can't just ignore it as trolling because it's deeper than that.

It's also frustrating to see people get away with it.

foltzie1

A non-serious question, but hey lets give it a serious answer anyways.

Anita is being engaged as a consultant, and some firms are actively trying to take into account concerns about characterization of female characters (and non-white characters in general).

Those who push the status quo due tend to be attacked. A lot. Simply for having the audacity to suggest the way things are shouldn't be the way they are.

Mesoian

Gaming needs its Fury Road. Big budget, incredibly-shot and scored, and unbashedably pro-feminist while demonstrating that a work can be feminist and also FUCKING AWESOME at the same time.

Ironically enough, after I saw Fury Road, I looked up the Mad Max trailer for the game that's coming out in a few months and went, "...huh. Why are there no women in this game?"

Crazy how that works.

Noaloha

No man, it will just naturally get better in its own. Just give it 5-10 years ladies.

In terms of the blog's focus, the industry problem whereby you have folks like Lifschitz being branded "damaged goods", "too hot to handle" prospective employee-wise, all because of social media attacks against them via groups of nasty and starkly self-centric shits, then I genuinely do hope the problem will naturally go away over time. But for that to happen, I think articles like Quinn's, the message and those accounts in the blog, have to be noticed, the cowardly/misguided/whatever industry practice of blackballing any professional who has had run-ins with an ugly portion of the demographic - that has to first be called out and put in the spotlight. The problem won't go away if it remains just this silent reality behind the doors.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Reading manbaby speak is so cringe inducing. "Muh vidya gaems we got 2 start teh operashun XD so militry"

And then you realise how badly it affects a person's entire life. Why must assholes ruin shit for everyone else?

I remember reading about a couple of not anonymous developers getting "bullied" or "harassed" by Quinn and her friends at certain events.

I think its messed up that they got bombarded by Internet hate for sharing their experiences, yet nobody feels sorry for them.

I don't understand how some ppl have only decided to see one side of the coin in this craziness.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
i mean, it's literally in the same post

I mean who the fuck does she think is!? Having control of your OWN life? And your own decisions?! That's crazy, go work at Starbucks. /s

I remember reading about a couple of not anonymous developers getting "bullied" or "harassed" by Quinn and her friends at certain events.

I think its messed up that they got bombarded by Internet hate for sharing their experiences, yet nobody feels sorry for them.

I don't understand how some ppl have only decided to see one side of the coin in this craziness.

Source? There's a shitload of disinformation that's there for no reason than to paint her and others like her in a bad light.

Edit: Cool.

Nobody is a perfect angel, but I am pretty sure Quinn has not sent death threats to someone for 18 months because of the ethics of review scores of free games.

The rare talking point of false equivalency is another successful way gamergate people have successfully made the situation just murky enough for someone to go "Oh, I guess she deserves it then?"

NeonBlack

I saw something on Reddit where the guy that started the harassment is trying to get legal aid to overturn the restraining order. He writes like he's the victim of her harassment. It's...odd.
How is he a victim? That is a very weird mindset that I can't understand.

I thought this harassment had stopped by now but instead they are trying to ruin her career by harassing the people she works with. I find it appalling that they are following her so closely to know what her next project is, this is a level of dedication that should be put to better use.

Ironically enough, after I saw Fury Road, I looked up the Mad Max trailer for the game that's coming out in a few months and went, "...huh. Why are there no women in this game?"

Crazy how that works.

Yeah, I saw someone post a trailer for the game recently, and I was pretty disappointed that it just looks like a generic open-world driving + Batman combat game.

raphier

Banned
Because "just waiting it" out has worked out so well in curbing pervasive social issues? She should give up her livelihood for half a decade because these things are going to magically repair themselves?.
By the way yes: Nestle. It worked for their baby formula, but the opposite happend. it didn't *heal*

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Yeah, my money is on TFYC. Which will be hilarious if this is what he's referring to.

TFYC took the money and ran, right? It turned out to be a scam?

And isn't that what the "harassment" by Zoe was? That she was alluding to the fact that it was a scam?

Guuuuh...

kcp12304

Banned
I read somewhere, some time ago, about this person I never met who did a very horrible thing in some forum post that I vaguely remember.

This is how you ruin a person's reputation. People knowingly and unknowingly spread all sorts of nasty rumors to all corners of the internet. Suddenly, thousands of people (or more) think you are a piece of shit and you deserve the harassment.

Buzzman

Banned
A small, very vocal minority is taking my hobby and making the people in it look like the very worst sort of misogynistic creeps.

Is that true though? This is the only forum I know of that's largely anti-GG (and that's only after banning A LOT of people) , and basically every major publisher and developer is silent on it.

Top Bottom