• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombi - Pure Survival Horror is coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC [ZombiU Port]

The video options are super bare bones, with FOV being the only real highlight.

What you see here is what you get:

h6X09B6.jpg

(Note the "TV screen" reference at the top. There's also a reference to "Flatscreen TV speakers" in the audio options. I think it's pretty clear which platform(s) were designated high-priority for this port.)

Graphics-wise, this is not a good looking game by any means. First off, the FMVs are very low-res and blocky, as if they were ripped straight from the Wii U version with zero attempts afterwards to enhance them. Secondly, both the lighting and shadows look really splotchy, which absolutely kills dark scenes. It's difficult to describe, but it reminds me of the way dark areas once looked in PC games that could run in 16-bit color mode.

Here are some screenshots demonstrating what I'm talking about in regards to the shadows.

It's much easier to see in motion, but pay particular attention to the outer edge of the flashlight's beam. Also, check out the bottom-right corner of the flashlight's beam in the first screenshot--you can clearly see a splotchy area just to the right, extending downwards. You can see a similar artifact in the second screenshot to the left of the bicycle, just beyond the edge of the beam.

The good news is that the game controls and performs really well. I was afraid the mouse movement would feel like crap, but it's absolutely perfect. I'm also getting over 150 FPS on average at 1920x1080 on my mid-range PC, so if you're concerned about the performance, don't be--this game runs like a dream.

What did the Wii U win here? A game that no one bought on their system that had to be ported to current gen systems in order to try to get the publisher's money back?

If only games "no one bought" would be ported than almost all PS4/One games are failures...

Wii U "won" the clearly superior version of a good horror game. :) By the way, it sold 100.000s of copies on Wii U. Probably more than enough to cover production costs for this kind of game, but sadly not enough to justify a successor.

At least the PC version seems nearly as good as the original. PS4/One versions are embarrassing...

If only games "no one bought" would be ported than almost all PS4/One games are failures...

Wii U "won" the clearly superior version of a good horror game. :) By the way, it sold 100.000s of copies on Wii U. Probably more than enough to cover production costs for this kind of game, but sadly not enough to justify a successor.

At least the PC version seems nearly as good as the original. PS4/One versions are embarrassing...
Actually, sold a lot more.. >300k. I dont think that the port is going to sell better than that.

Mael

Actually, sold a lot more.. >300k. I dont think that the port is going to sell better than that.

I would stop this sales talk that's going to quote chartz numbers if I were you...
And better face it, we're going to get a new Rayman game before this gets a sequel so better embrace your mobile savior.
And anyone who finished the game knows that there's a fuckton of people that worked on it, it's pretty clear that Ubi lost money on that one.
There's a reason they went multiplat on Rayman Legends.
I also wouldn't put much hope on Ubisoft NX support either.

I would stop this sales talk that's going to quote chartz numbers if I were you...
And better face it, we're going to get a new Rayman game before this gets a sequel so better embrace your mobile savior.
Creamsugar 204k on april 2015... NPD alone and not digital...

napata

Yves Guillemot, Chairman and CEO of Ubisoft, is typically one of the biggest proponents of new systems, but betting big on the Wii U didn't work out well for the company. ZombiU, one of the most popular launch titles for the system with players, was not profitable, he says. Not even close. As such, he says, there are no plans (or even desire) for a sequel.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-08-does-nintendo-stand-a-chance-this-holiday

Mael

It's a Ubisoft Montpellier project with help from Bucarest and other teams too if memory serves.
Even disregarding the dev hell the project went through it needed way more than 500k to be profitable even if Nintendo handled the marketing.
The fact that the port is so low key and with so little marketing means that they intend to recoup the port cost with its rerelease.
The ports need to explode if we are to expect a sequel.

I think I just discovered that the brightness is set way too high by default.

They start you off at 60%, which doesn't even come close to passing their little test here (at least on my monitor):

I had to turn it all the way down to about 25% in order for the last zombie to be invisible and the third one to be barely visible.

Here's the difference between the two settings in-game:

60% Brightness

25% Brightness

As you can see, lowering the brightness improves the visuals quite a bit. The picture is nowhere near as washed out, and dark areas look much better in general, with the splotchy lighting/shadows described in my previous post being almost unnoticeable. Although it's adjustable and of course varies from monitor to monitor, I think they made a big mistake setting the brightness to 60% by default.

Mael

ZombiU was in development hell for years and was poorly marketed by Ubisoft. I love the game but I'm not surprised it wasn't profitable.

Oh come on, Ubi isn't the only one to blame...
Nintendo was also part of the marketing campaign and they were shit too.
At least the bundle was nice.

I think I just discovered that the brightness is set way too high by default.

They start you off at 60%, which doesn't even come close to passing their little test here (at least on my monitor):

I had to turn it all the way down to about 25% in order for the last zombie to be invisible and the third one to be barely visible.

Here's the difference between the two settings in-game:

60% Brightness

25% Brightness

As you can see, lowering the brightness improves the visuals quite a bit. The picture is nowhere near as washed out, and dark areas look much better in general, with the splotchy lighting/shadows described in my previous post being almost unnoticeable. Although it's adjustable and of course varies from monitor to monitor, I think they made a big mistake setting the brightness to 60% by default.

Nice work!
The PC version is turning out the best it could considering.
I hope that someone finds the stuffs that were cut and manage to make it workable.

Nintendo was in charge of marketing? I stand corrected then. They did a poor job of showing off the game's strengths.

GDGF

Soothsayer
The biggest fuck-up in the marketing of this game was not showing commercials during the second season of The Walking Dead.

I really hope people don't overlook this game just because it's missing some features. The WiiU gamepad adds a lot to the experience, but it's not as though it was the only worthwhile aspect about the game. Zombi is everything a survival horror game should be. You can play the game for hours and still get freaked out by a single zombie you see in the distance because a single zombie is still a threat even in the final act.

It's unlike anything on the market and easily on e of the best games of this generation. Everyone should put the silly console war stuff aside and play the game.

Tigress

The biggest fuck-up in the marketing of this game was not showing commercials during the second season of The Walking Dead.

That should be an obvious thing for any zombie game honestly. I wonder how many actually did that tactic. Seems like the obvious place to market for any zombie game.

Did Ubi really expected that ZombiU sell Millions???.... I still thinking that 300-400k globally on Wii U is a relly good number.

Mael

Nintendo was in charge of marketing? I stand corrected then. They did a poor job of showing off the game's strengths.

I'd blame both, ZombiU is the 1rst game they showed on WiiU I think so they probably had a contract or something.
that woudl also explain the lateness of the port too.

I blame NoA myself, seriously look up the marketing at the time it has NoA footprints everywhere.
I really hope people don't overlook this game just because it's missing some features. The WiiU gamepad adds a lot to the experience, but it's not as though it was the only worthwhile aspect about the game. Zombi is everything a survival horror game should be. You can play the game for hours and still get freaked out by a single zombie you see in the distance because a single zombie is still a threat even in the final act.

It's unlike anything on the market and easily on e of the best games of this generation. Everyone should put the silly console war stuff aside and play the game.

The increased FoV and brightness really kills the claustrophobic mood the game goes for and the online integration isn't even that complicated so that's a pretty big bummer if you ask me.
Outside of that one place at the end, it's a fantastic experience unlike the usual rambo zombie games you see on the market.
This port is not doing it any favor though

Did Ubi really expected that ZombiU sell Millions???.... I still thinking that 300-400k globally on Wii U is a relly good number.

I think they expected at least 1 million, which is not that unreasonable if they expected WiiU to not tank like it did.
I don't think Nintendo or Ubisoft expected WiiU to sell as it did.

RAWi

Yup. But reviewers did their job by destroying the game (which is what I think that ended killing it).

Of what has been shown in this thread, I am more interested in the PC version :D.

jmizzal

The whole WiiU marketing was crap, and I agree that was so stupid not to show it during the Walking dead. MS showed off Dead Rising 3 during TWD and even had dev interviews.

Yea they did, and yea thats what I been saying the game sold well for a new survival horror game ip, how much did the last Silent Hill game sale? And thats a known franchise

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Options are always better, but I'm not sure the PS4/Xbone players are missing out on too much....

02.jpg

'dat immersion

To be fair, if you look directly to a light source like that in such a dark environment, you won't see much of anything else too as you will be too dazzled... :p.

BTW, Zombi/U doens't aim to be realistic. Is a nightmare world of desaturated colors and a dream-like fog and low fidelity visuals everywhere. The discussion about what is realistic or not doesn't make much sense to me.

Definitively playing it at 25% brightness. Thanks :3

Yup. But reviewers did their job by destroying the game (which is what I think that ended killing it).

Of what has been shown in this thread, I am more interested in the PC version :D.
Metacritic has 1 negative review, 20 mixed, and 49 postiive

How did the reviewers destroy the game again?

Can someone new to this game give me some PS4 impressions?

I don't care at all how it is compared to a console's version that I don't own, just want to know if the game itself is fun to play on PS4.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Metacritic has 1 negative review, 20 mixed, and 49 postiive

How did the reviewers destroy the game again?

I didn't bought the game at launch because of reviews. i got it a discount price on the EShop on an impulse purchase. I was blown away and regretted not paying full price for it :( . One of my favorites games of all time.

I don't care at all how it is compared to a console's version that I don't own, just want to know if the game itself is fun to play on PS4.

I haven't played the Ps4 version, but from my Wii U play-through is one of those games some people will absolutely love or loathe. The combat is dull, the pace is low and uneven. If that is important to you, you should approach it with caution. I would not say that is fun to play in the traditional way, is a beautiful display of atmospheric oppressiveness and I loved if for that.

I would frame it like the following:

Is Resident Evil 4 the best of the series? If the answer is yes, you might want to wait for a discount.
Do you believe that fixed camera angles and tanks controls enhanced the tension in classic RE? You should have bought it at launch, the Wii U would have been worth just for this game :p .

Here are some objective PS4 impressions:

• Played the game on Wii U, and it was great. Seems just as great on PS4
• Game was never a graphical showcase, but it looks great with the resolution upgrade (played it on Wii U a few weeks ago, and it looked like a blurry mess)
• Art style is a 10 and is creepy as fuck
• Game has a super-slow, almost Dark Souls-esque pace. You will learn by dying, but progress feels so sweet
• Bottom line: for $20, it's a steal!

Seriously, if you're on the fence, buy it! I doubt you'll be disappointed. If you pass up on the game because of all the negativity in this thread, I think you'll regret it down the road. Do you play games as a tech demo or for fun? If the latter, buy it now!

RAWi

And again a score of 77/100 is bad or an example of reviewers "destroying a game" how?

77/100 is a good rating.

Well, now it has good reviews. Or perhaps my memory is bad :D. However, I do remember reviews that made the game sound horrible, because it wasn't more actiony, and many people were turned off because of that and didn't give it a chance. But now it is getting more appreciation for its survival-horror side.
But again, maybe I am just remembering wrong.

I hope Ubisoft does try to create a Zombi(U) 2 , but better.

Alebrije

I think Ubi expected more , like 1 million since it was a launch game on the console that every one wanted to get ( due to Wii success ), I mean you just needed a small part of the Wii users to jump to the WiiU in order to sell the game very well.

Saddly WiiU sinked like the Titanic , basically o its first "trip" with users the console failed and we know the story.

Zombie U is a very well made game for a launch one , you can see Ubi really put efford with the gamepad interface , the premise of the game is the gamepad and the way you use it.

Well, now it has good reviews. Or perhaps my memory is bad :D. However, I do remember reviews that made the game sound horrible, because it wasn't more actiony, and many people were turned off because of that and didn't give it a chance. But now it is getting more appreciation for its survival-horror side.
But again, maybe I am just remembering wrong.

I hope Ubisoft does try to create a Zombi(U) 2 , but better.
68 out of 70 reviews are from 2012, so honestly, it seems like it was received pretty well at launch. Maybe not sales wise, but critically 70% of the reviews are positive.

Joystiq, Destructoid, Quarter To Three, Giant Bomb, Polygon, etc. all give it scores 80 or higher

I wasn't following the game back then, but looking back now, it seems like the perception of the game being hated by critics seems pretty exaggerated. Because most of the big sites liked it.

It was even listed as a GOTY nominee and runner-up on several big sites

Reposting my PS4 Impressions for Top-of-Page. I'm having so much fun getting back into this diamond in the rough.

• Played the game on Wii U, and it was great. Seems just as great on PS4
• Game was never a graphical showcase, but it looks above average with the resolution upgrade (played it on Wii U a few weeks ago, and it looked like a blurry mess)
• Art style is a 10 and is creepy as fuck
• Game has a super-slow, almost Dark Souls-esque pace. You will learn by dying, but progress feels so sweet
• Bottom line: for $20, it's a steal!

Seriously, if you're on the fence, buy it! I doubt you'll be disappointed. If you pass up on the game because of all the negativity in this thread, I think you'll regret it down the road. Do you play games as a tech demo or for fun? If the latter, buy it now!

RAWi

68 out of 70 reviews are from 2012, so honestly, it seems like it received pretty well at launch. Maybe not sales wise, but critically 70% of the reviews are positive.

Joystiq, Destructoid, Quarter To Three, Giant Bomb, Polygon, etc. are give it scores 80 or higher

I wasn't following the game back then, but looking back now, it seems that the perception of the game being hated by critics seems pretty exaggerated. Because most of the big sites liked it.

Oh then, perhaps I just saw several people that where against the game being so survival horror en not like RE6 or similar games. Welp, is nice to get corrected >:D. Thank you.

I played the shit out of the WiiU version, even completing it on survivor mode and I just grabbed it for my X1 to try and get all the achievements.

So far I'm loving it just as much as I did on WiiU. Once you get used to the lack of the gamepad and the fact you can't see your item shortcuts on screen (well the gamepad screen anyway) it's really still an awesome game.

If you are on the fence, grab it. Top game and these new versions are very decent.

tbhysgb

Went to play it on wiiu couple weeks ago. Gamepad is dead, can't play with pro controller. Might pick it up on ps4 just cuz I hate the gamepad.

Top Bottom