• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombi - Pure Survival Horror is coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC [ZombiU Port]

DocSeuss

I quit and when I came back there was no save because I forgot to sleep in the bed to save.

Oops.

Working fine on the PC. Solid 60. Only complaint is that I had to restart the game to run at 1080. It said it was on 1080, but was clearly 720.

The video options are super bare bones, with FOV being the only real highlight.

What you see here is what you get:

(Note the "TV screen" reference at the top. There's also a reference to "Flatscreen TV speakers" in the audio options. I think it's pretty clear which platform(s) were designated high-priority for this port.)

Graphics-wise, this is not a good looking game by any means. First off, the FMVs are very low-res and blocky, as if they were ripped straight from the Wii U version with zero attempts afterwards to enhance them. Secondly, both the lighting and shadows look really splotchy, which absolutely kills dark scenes. It's difficult to describe, but it reminds me of the way dark areas once looked in PC games that could run in 16-bit color mode.

Here are some screenshots demonstrating what I'm talking about in regards to the shadows.

It's much easier to see in motion, but pay particular attention to the outer edge of the flashlight's beam. Also, check out the bottom-right corner of the flashlight's beam in the first screenshot--you can clearly see a splotchy area just to the right, extending downwards. You can see a similar artifact in the second screenshot to the left of the bicycle, just beyond the edge of the beam.

The good news is that the game controls and performs really well. I was afraid the mouse movement would feel like crap, but it's absolutely perfect. I'm also getting over 150 FPS on average at 1920x1080 on my mid-range PC, so if you're concerned about the performance, don't be--this game runs like a dream.

uh... that's improperly set gamma. Nothing to do with the game, but how you've got the game set up.

I quit and when I came back there was no save because I forgot to sleep in the bed to save.

Oops.

Working fine on the PC. Solid 60. Only complaint is that I had to restart the game to run at 1080. It said it was on 1080, but was clearly 720.

uh... that's improperly set gamma. Nothing to do with the game, but how you've got the game set up.

he responded back later after changing the in-game brightness as a follow up

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=175867158&postcount=1375

Bought thanks to the framerate of the PC version. Only issue sounded like I had from reviews of the original game was the 1 melee weapon which they fixed.

Forgot to buy/download straight after work so now I wont have time to install and play it! AAAH.

Reposting my PS4 Impressions for Top-of-Page. I'm having so much fun getting back into this diamond in the rough.

• Played the game on Wii U, and it was great. Seems just as great on PS4
• Game was never a graphical showcase, but it looks above average with the resolution upgrade (played it on Wii U a few weeks ago, and it looked like a blurry mess)
• Art style is a 10 and is creepy as fuck
• Game has a super-slow, almost Dark Souls-esque pace. You will learn by dying, but progress feels so sweet
• Bottom line: for $20, it's a steal!

Seriously, if you're on the fence, buy it! I doubt you'll be disappointed. If you pass up on the game because of all the negativity in this thread, I think you'll regret it down the road. Do you play games as a tech demo or for fun? If the latter, buy it now!

Thanks a ton, this is what I was interested in reading. Don't care about graphics etc as long as it's playable, has a cool art direction and above all plays well.

Bought.

Effect

Oh come on, Ubi isn't the only one to blame...
Nintendo was also part of the marketing campaign and they were shit too.
At least the bundle was nice.

Ubisoft deserves the bulk of the blame though. Nintendo was involved in just the UK? That's the only place that got limited marketing from what I remember. NoE has taken responsibility for some third party games in the past. However Europe should have been Ubisoft's responsibility since they're based there. Ubisoft did nothing at all anywhere else. That was a concern from people before the game's launch as well. In addition to that they're the ones that restarted this project at least twice. First time it was suppose to be a PS3/360 game until it was rebooted as the Killer Rabbids from Outer Space and shown at E3 at one of Nintendo's closed meetings I believe. Then it was changed into ZombiU. That's all on Ubisoft and if they thought a launch game was going to recoup all that development cost on top of not even bothering to advertise a new IP (which they've done for other new IP they had done around the same time) they were and are stupid. They would have no right to complain about the game not doing well.

I felt that way back when the game launched on the Wii U (which I got at the system's launch) and I still feel that way now. Their expectations would have had to have been insane. Their treatment of this game still annoys me too. I blame Nintendo for how they handled the Wii U's launch and maybe they should have spotlighted ZombiU better due to the gamepad usage. However I will always put the bulk of the blame for ZombiU on Ubisoft. Just how Red Steel 2's failure was completely on Ubisoft as well even though that team (which is now the For Honor team I believe) created a great game that Ubisoft sent to die. Ubisoft has always took the stance that they did not have to bother to advertise or push the games or versions of games that appear on Nintendo hardware and ZombiU is an example of that.

Today I learned port-keeping(?) is a thing... but it's good to see that the PC version turned out well, I'll definitely be adding it to my do buy list. Anyone have some impressions or benchmarks for an i5-2500k/7850 or 7870?

Also, I think the FMVs look great on my Samsung. Much cleaner than the Wii U versions (although there are some framerate hiccups). The resolution bump is really noticeable throughout. If you doubt me, fire up that Wii U.

Moofers

I played the PS4 version for about an hour and posted the link to my stream in here so I know quite a few of you came to watch. You'll know I'm not lying when I say I thought it was great. No framerate drops detected, no downgrades of any sort. If anything I found it a bit more accessible not having to look down at my GamePad for stuff. Really appreciate the quick-mapping of items and weapons to the d-pad over having to look down and tap the screen.

Very pleased with it. Looking forward to passing the point I reached in the Wii U version!

I played the PS4 version for about an hour and posted the link to my stream in here so I know quite a few of you came to watch. You'll know I'm not lying when I say I thought it was great. No framerate drops detected, no downgrades of any sort. If anything I found it a bit more accessible not having to look down at my GamePad for stuff. Really appreciate the quick-mapping of items and weapons to the d-pad over having to look down and tap the screen.

Very pleased with it. Looking forward to passing the point I reached in the Wii U version!

How far did you get in the Wii U version? There's an awesome set-piece about two-thirds of the way through that if you didn't experience then, wow, you're in for a real treat
(and challenge)
!

I made it to London Tower last night before calling it quits and writing my review. That's half-way or so, and I'd beaten it before.

I'm looking forward to finishing it next week, once I have some time.

Well I just bought it. Sounds like it's not a great port, but I absolutely loved this game on WiiU. And my Wii isn't even hooked up at the moment, worth the $20 just for convenience.

What do I need to do with this reshade thing to make it like the wii-u version? There's a million option and I have no idea what they mean

I'm not sure lensdirt is a default ReShade effect. You'll probably have to add it in from another shader pack.

Once I've downloaded the game, I may go poking into the files and play with ReShade to see what's possible as well.

And it's been a few months since I've downloaded anything off Steam while I was present to watch it, I forgot how insanely fast their servers are. Pulling a solid 15 MB a second, puts the pitiful PSN download speeds to absolute shame.

I'm not sure lensdirt is a default ReShade effect. You'll probably have to add it in from another shader pack.

Once I've downloaded the game, I may go poking into the files and play with ReShade to see what's possible as well.

And it's been a few months since I've downloaded anything off Steam while I was present to watch it, I forgot how insanely fast their servers are. Pulling a solid 15 MB a second, puts the pitiful PSN download speeds to absolute shame.

Cool. Let us know if you figure out what to fix. I wonder if there is a setting that makes it a bit less washed out and improve the shadows(is that crushed blacks?)

Anyone running this on a 560 ti or something similar? Curious if its worth picking up now or if I should hold off till I upgrade my gpu. Can't for the life of me find any benchmarks and most of the comments I've seen about performance were folks rockin 970's or better.

Peterthumpa

Just download the Reshade Framework, it's a pack with a lot of shaders and a nice (albeit a little confusing) UI.

dcx4610

Glad to hear it's not 30fps locked. I'll grab it on PC once the bugs are worked out. Hopefully the end of Summer sale.

Wow this is the weirdest thing. I was what everyone was going about it being brighter until it crashed and I rebooted my Xbox. Now it's bright and colourful and weird. What the hell? It is almost as though some bug put it back into Wii U mode or something.

scitek

Anyone running this on a 560 ti or something similar? Curious if its worth picking up now or if I should hold off till I upgrade my gpu. Can't for the life of me find any benchmarks and most of the comments I've seen about performance were folks rockin 970's or better.

I was getting a solid 60fps with the laptop equivalent to a 750Ti earlier.

Moofers

How far did you get in the Wii U version? There's an awesome set-piece about two-thirds of the way through that if you didn't experience then, wow, you're in for a real treat
(and challenge)
!
I am in an area where there is a guy working in a sealed lab and I'm kind of running errands for him. I think it's like halfway maybe? 2/3? I'm excited to get back to that spot :)

Anung

Un Rama
CMvCNjPWIAAa5EZ.jpg:large

Survival mode is so damn good. Went back to normal though so I can actually finish the game. Game is great although without the XL bag new melee weapons are a waste as you can't unequip the cricket bat or pistol. The games framerate shits itself when outside in the lightening but other than that its held up fine.

tesqui

PC version is really stellar. I'm honestly having more fun with it than I ever did on Wii U. With my 144hz monitor this is just lovely.

Survival mode is so damn good. Went back to normal though so I can actually finish the game. Game is great although without the XL bag new melee weapons are a waste as you can't unequip the cricket bat or pistol. The games framerate shits itself when outside in the lightening but other than that its held up fine.

is the only difference that you only have one life? Or is it overall more difficult? I am nearing the end of the game on standard and havent died once

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The video options are super bare bones, with FOV being the only real highlight.

What you see here is what you get:

(Note the "TV screen" reference at the top. There's also a reference to "Flatscreen TV speakers" in the audio options. I think it's pretty clear which platform(s) were designated high-priority for this port.)

Graphics-wise, this is not a good looking game by any means. First off, the FMVs are very low-res and blocky, as if they were ripped straight from the Wii U version with zero attempts afterwards to enhance them. Secondly, both the lighting and shadows look really splotchy, which absolutely kills dark scenes. It's difficult to describe, but it reminds me of the way dark areas once looked in PC games that could run in 16-bit color mode.

Here are some screenshots demonstrating what I'm talking about in regards to the shadows.

It's much easier to see in motion, but pay particular attention to the outer edge of the flashlight's beam. Also, check out the bottom-right corner of the flashlight's beam in the first screenshot--you can clearly see a splotchy area just to the right, extending downwards. You can see a similar artifact in the second screenshot to the left of the bicycle, just beyond the edge of the beam.

The good news is that the game controls and performs really well. I was afraid the mouse movement would feel like crap, but it's absolutely perfect. I'm also getting over 150 FPS on average at 1920x1080 on my mid-range PC, so if you're concerned about the performance, don't be--this game runs like a dream.

Just a heads up but the ReShade Deband shader could completely fix that up.

Compare the darkness on the left

mediator_2015_08_18_22_19_24_by_aloooo81-d969nhh.png

mediator_2015_08_18_22_19_39_by_aloooo81-d969ngy.png

This isn't perfect to how it would appear in game since I just applied the shaders to the image, but it gives an idea of how it'll clean up banding

Anung

Un Rama
is the only difference that you only have one life? Or is it overall more difficult? I am nearing the end of the game on standard and havent died once

One life, less resources and I think Zombies might be a little tougher. Totally immersive experience though.

Chabbles

This game is so good. 5 and a half hours in and on 6th character.. the last death was really cheap, i'd just gotten killed and was going back to retrieve my gear and get killed by an exploding barrel in the swamp.. i must of hit it while swinging at a zombie. lost alot of good gear.. double barrel shoty and spiked baseball bat bye bye.
I'd love an open world zombie game in this style, but in an american city, like the omega man. be so good.

This game is so good. 5 and a half hours in and on 6th character.. the last death was really cheap, i'd just gotten killed and was going back to retrieve my gear and get killed by an exploding barrel in the swamp.. i must of hit it while swinging at a zombie. lost alot of good gear.. double barrel shoty and spiked baseball bat bye bye.
I'd love an open world zombie game in this style, but in an american city, like the omega man. be so good.

Don't worry there are a bunch of great guns coming up,
including a better shotgun.

TI82

Banned
So funny how everyone praised this game for its gamepad use when first released... now shat on as something unnecessary and doesn't have any significant on the immersion of the game. Man amazing thread but expected.

It's just... other games have already done that type of inventory system on other games with traditional controls. Just because it's a new weird control system doesn't mean it's necessary as we are plainly seeing here.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So funny how everyone praised this game for its gamepad use when first released... now shat on as something unnecessary and doesn't have any significant on the immersion of the game. Man amazing thread but expected.

My assumption is that its not the same people praising as the ones casting ire on it. A lot of people play video games and have a lot of different opinions.

Sanctuary

Aside from Bayonetta 2, it's the only game I have for the Wii U (got it day one). No reason to rebuy the game, especially since it looks like it has the same annoying cricket bat reliance as the original. Plus, it won't be as interactive as the Wii U version.

edit: Wait, they added more melee weapons? Do they actually feel any different though? Cricket bat, baseball bat, crowbar would all essentially play the same to me.

• Game has a super-slow, almost Dark Souls-esque pace. You will learn by dying, but progress feels so sweet

Not everything with a horror atmosphere needs to be compared to a Souls game. The game is nowhere near as difficult to finish without dying more than a few times either. You can't really kite the majority of the enemies in a Souls game nearly as easily either. In this you can run pretty far, pretty fast to get a better position.

Aside from Bayonetta 2, it's the only game I have for the Wii U (got it day one). No reason to rebuy the game, especially since it looks like it has the same annoying cricket bat reliance as the original. Plus, it won't be as interactive as the Wii U version.

edit: Wait, they added more melee weapons? Do they actually feel any different though? Cricket bat, baseball bat, crowbar would all essentially play the same to me.

i found a shovel, and have been using that the whole game. Its description says it has greater range and power than the cricket bat

I got swarmed few hours in found a mine then ran back to a safe zone I had set up and killed everything chasing me. That's my favorite experience so far

Kamina777

Banned
How is the difficulty of this game? Any OP weapons or tactics that would carry me through the story? Can you still loot the body of the person you were when you died? That mechanic was genius.

Ooooooooh! I'm a member!

I think the achievement for scanning all CCTV's might be glitched. I am standing here after I scanned the last one needed and its not popping the achievement

This game is pretty damn well optimized. Sucks DSR doesn't work with SLI right now (at least on Windows 10 and the latest drivers?) but disabling SLI and running with a single Titan X the framerate is 60 locked at 5K.

Top Bottom