• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombi - Pure Survival Horror is coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC [ZombiU Port]

Moofers

I made it to
Buckingham Palace
tonight. Pretty pleased with this port. I don't really miss the Wii U differences at all. I forgot how intense the game gets though! Holy crap, I got swarmed in a certain area and was doing just fine until my main gun ran out of ammo. Suddenly I'm scrambling backward and trying to nail headshots with my pistol and the zombies seem faster than ever. My pulse definitely quickens when this game throws moments like that at me.

How are they handling missing online player zombies? Random red zombies with random gear? Or gone completely? They were always nice to find and get some extra gear from them.

Moofers

How are they handling missing online player zombies? Random red zombies with random gear? Or gone completely? They were always nice to find and get some extra gear from them.
I haven't run into any. I think they've been cut. I could be wrong but I know when I played the Wii U version as far as I am on ps4, I had encountered a few.

ive run into several zombies with red looking flames around them...they always have weapon upgrades on them

Hows this feel compared to Dying Light?

I reckon DL is the best zombie game ive played.

Does this feel like a downgrade and not worth playing?

The filter is weird, game doesn't look nearly as sharp as you'd expect at 4K(I'm using an actual 4K tv)

Wonder if it's one of those weird cases where things get improperly scaled as you go up in resolution, ie lens flares becoming huge in Arkham Knight.

The Zombi 2 announcement thread will be the stuff of legends.

I don't give a shit what it's on, and honestly anyone who does at this point can just bugger off for all I care, but man, I do want a Zombi 2 so bad.
Not going to buy the port as I already have the better version at hand (sans PC advantages)
but Zombi2? You bet your ass I'm there day one on PC.

DAMN...so close to number 1 on the leaderboards

diMBiSW.jpg

Rambone

What kind of game is this? I can't seem to find any reviews that answer my questions. Is this an open world game like Dead State/Dead Rising where I am free to go around exploring or does this game sort of follow a linear path from point A to B like Left 4 Dead?

Marcelus

Very nicely optimized (4K downsampling /60 FPS). Minimap is very badly positioned, and chromatic aberration is very strong. The game looks quite nice but banding in dark areas is visible.

Marcelus

What kind of game is this? I can't seem to find any reviews that answer my questions. Is this an open world game like Dead State/Dead Rising where I am free to go around exploring or does this game sort of follow a linear path from point A to B like Left 4 Dead?

Condemned (blunt weapons, a limited amount of ammunition) +Outlast (spooky atmosphere)+Dead Island (Zombie)... It's not a fast action like L4D.

knerl

Im talking about gameplay features that were taken out. Also the lens filter is gone in this version. It just takes away from the atmosphere. You can add more resolution and framerate but it still doesnt change what it originally is. Some might prefer the no lens filter but to each their own.

I do agree if you going to by a version that isnt the Wii U version, PC version is the way to go. PS4/XB1 versions are just bad ports.

Not by much but I was referring to the lens filter which is completely missing on the PS4 version.

The dirt filter in the original is retarded to say the least. You're supposedly looking through the eyes of your character. A character that insists on putting gravel in his/her eyes? Barely any gameplay features have been taken out by the way.
-local multiplayer
-dead friends/people connected appearing as zombies
-message writing (that was so dumbed down in the first place it felt silly)

Everything else is there. You did write that the original is the best version, but only against the xbone & ps4 versions. Compared to PC it's a give or take situation where they both have equally strong selling points.

knerl

Hows this feel compared to Dying Light?

I reckon DL is the best zombie game ive played.

Does this feel like a downgrade and not worth playing?

In a couple of ways it's a downgrade, but there are many technical advantages that makes it worth it on pc. Tighter controls too while still retaining the slower type of movement while using a controller. I bought my WiiU just for ZombiU and the PC port gives me what I always missed in the original. Turn the tables and the pc port makes the original make more sense in mostly one single way.

While they might add to the experience and seeing as how the game was designed around the wiiu gamepad it has a purpose, but the gamepad related features isn't what made the game great. It helped making the game great, but I can't say that I miss it very much.

Sanctuary

How is the difficulty of this game? Any OP weapons or tactics that would carry me through the story? Can you still loot the body of the person you were when you died? That mechanic was genius.

The "melee" weapon will carry you through the majority of the game. Simply because you're forced to use it so much due to the lack of ammo. However, the
Crossbow
has somewhat recoverable ammo, and it's also very fun to use. Or at least it was on the Wii U anyway.

DAMN...so close to number 1 on the leaderboards

diMBiSW.jpg

I actually hit number two on Survival mode on the original release (out of the five people who bought the game), although they were doing some score attack nonsense and the guy in first used the infinitely respawning zombie crap near the end to farm points. I actually had the fastest time. By like two hours faster...

Not sure if they are doing it with this release, but on the Wii U, they would put your name up somewhere in game for the survivor of the day, and they also had a list of the top twenty (I think it was) of the survivor leaderboards on a wall too.

Died as the first character because i f'ed up and then respawned as a girl in a miniskirt, I ain't even mad. Went back and whacked my first character and took his stuff.

Also, those freaking illumination door-puzzle thingies, wat. I'm to stupid for this.
All in all, I'm enjoying the game, Sad about the lack of features though.

PS: Fun fact. Game is called Zombi but the achievements are listed under ZombiU Next

holygeesus

Banned
Why would they go the bother of including leaderboards, but not have online player looting in there? Such a small touch that must have been pretty easy to include really. Seems strange.

knerl

Couple of new trivial discoveries in the pc version.
-Framerate. Just like in the original the framerate nose dives for a split second when thunder strikes.
-Rain effect. While standing under cover looking into the rain everything looks like it should, but if you stand in the rain the rain drops falling from the sky are no longer visible. The splashes on the ground etc. are still there.

ElTopo

Banned
Not sure if this is happening to a lot of dudes but I've had a game crash on the PC version. My first survivor died (stupidly due to unavoidable fall damage when you're running through that tower aided by the sniper chick) so I play the second survivor and get fuel for the generator. Every time I get the medicine in the Nursery and the cut-scene plays where you fall through the floor into the basement, the game crashes to desktop.

Scoot2005

Banned
Is this digital only? Sorry if this has already been answered!

This was the first game I got with the Wii U. Would love to have it on my ps4!

I will laugh if I get stuck in the nursery again due to another progress halting glitch. Was never able to finish the Wii U version.

Had the nursery glitch on my first playthrough of the Wii U version shortly after it released. I just played through the game again. Wasn't that hard to get there again.
You should've done that too, since you only lost ~2-3 hours of progress.

ElTopo

Banned
Had the nursery glitch on my first playthrough of the Wii U version shortly after it released. I just played through the game again. Wasn't that hard to get there again.
You should've done that too, since you only lost ~2-3 hours of progress.

I will laugh if I get stuck in the nursery again due to another progress halting glitch. Was never able to finish the Wii U version.

Wait, that's in the WiiU version and they didn't fucking fix it? WTF?

Haunted

Not sure if they are doing it with this release, but on the Wii U, they would put your name up somewhere in game for the survivor of the day, and they also had a list of the top twenty (I think it was) of the survivor leaderboards on a wall too.
Yep, it was on a wall in your ramshackle base.

Hated that stuff, completely broke immersion.

Arafo

This game is pretty damn well optimized. Sucks DSR doesn't work with SLI right now (at least on Windows 10 and the latest drivers?) but disabling SLI and running with a single Titan X the framerate is 60 locked at 5K.

Yep, I'm getting 90-110 fps at 2880x1800 on a 770

Man, I just have to say, it's amazing how much better this game feels when played with a mouse and keyboard rather than a controller. Everything from aiming weapons to scanning the environment for items and even managing your inventory is just made so much less cumbersome on PC. And although the Wii U Gamepad functionality is sorely missed here and there, I feel like the developers have done a great job translating its features/mechanics over to a single screen.

One thing that really disappoints me, though, is how you can no longer leave messages for others to see and vice versa. Aside from the extensive use of the Gamepad, that was one of the biggest things that made the game so special on the Wii U, at least to me. I can't even fathom why the developers didn't port that feature over, but whatever the reason, it's a major gaffe on their behalf.

greg400

Banned
Couple of new trivial discoveries in the pc version.
-Framerate. Just like in the original the framerate nose dives for a split second when thunder strikes.
-Rain effect. While standing under cover looking into the rain everything looks like it should, but if you stand in the rain the rain drops falling from the sky are no longer visible. The splashes on the ground etc. are still there.

For someone that's all about 'posting facts' you sure do like to make shit up.

The framerate in ZombiU does not nose dive when thunder strikes.
https://youtu.be/CXUdIYjKpRU?t=19m57s

JoeBoy101

Played a small slice this morning, up to the Supermarket and I really like what they are doing with it. Interesting in that is just a basic survival game, unburdened with alot of the 'takes' on zombie games that other games have done. Really enjoying it.

Nice quote from eurogamer

What's surprising, really, is that the whole game doesn't feel more compromised. ZombiU was so enthusiastic in its embracing of Nintendo's oddball console that it was easy to project its successes onto the platform. Stripped of the bespoke hardware, however, Ubisoft Montreal's game still shines. This is still smart, economical and deliriously spiteful. This is still my favourite apocalypse.

Top Bottom