• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR will be “priced as a new gaming platform,” says Sony boss

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They have already demo Mars a NASA title, and there is a movie coming out about tight roping and they have that experience as well it was demoed a couple of weeks ago.

video of a brief appearence of "MARS" co developed by NASA at the 1m36s mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av08y3vF1Rw

Here's the video for the Movie "The Walk" PSVR interaction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7A-CJbiXmU

I have heard about the NASA collaboration, where they are going to showcase the Mars surface. The Walk is a promotional tie-in to their own Sony movie...its an advertisement.

We are already viewing a wide variety of contents, both from professionals and the amateurs, on Samsung Gear and Oculus Rift. Sony might want to keep up when it is not an open source plaform.

But if those features were seriously important to people, they'd have already invested in a new PC. Ultimately they're asked to buy this new computer for the purpose of Oculus, and any additional benefit isn't going to add a ton of value. It doesn't make the pill any easier to follow.

I am saying the VR functionality will be an additional push to upgrade the rig. Its like how people choose to buy a game console only when they have more than 10 titles they want to play on the game console right now on shelf.

Agent X

Obviously House is talking about the full price with a game, Eye and Move which will be close to $399. The headset will be $199.

They do need to offer a "core" headset option (with no extras packed in) for those who already have the Move and/or PS Camera. However, I can''t envision this big of a price difference between the "core" headset and a bundle pack with all the extras.

I don't know what kind of game they would consider including, but Move and PS Camera don't cost that much. Both peripherals together would be just over $100 new. If the bundle is $399, then the headset alone would probably be closer to $299.

If there was a $200 price difference, then the full bundle pack wouldn't look like a very good deal. While the "core" headset would undoubtedly be a much better deal for customers, Sony would risk losing a great sum of money selling at that bargain price. I'm certain that is a scenario they want to avoid.

Briarios

You are correct.
All these consoles are just a brick without a TV.
It can't even do anything but collects dusts.

... They're all part of interconnected ecosystems. TVs are useless without content that comes from outside the system, either through paying for services or using broadcast, but the TV is a brick without cable or an antenna.

FleetFeet

I obviously really suck at explaining.. :) Practical experience is fine and interestingly enough, I was purely talking about the actual isolated numbers and data presented used as a context to the conclusion.

This suddenly got bigger than it was, so I'll just STFU about it now :)

I don't remember what we were discussing exactly, but is your main point of contention that he's just fudging the numbers or that his claims that PSVR isn't capable to match the performance of a CV1 and GTX970/980?

Well anyways, whatever the case may be, I found this interesting video from the UE4 devs and they go into a little bit on PSVR.

http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine/v/7616153

Go to 23:26 to hear about how they implemented Showdown and at 24:10 they specifically state that PSVR can target the same fill rate as CV1 with a 970.

To paraphrase the dev speaking of PSVR...

If you are developing for Morpheus, I think it's really good to aim at the Oculus min spec, which is at 970 or 980 class machine because the fill rate between Morpheus running at target and CV1 running at target are about the same, so it's good analog, if it runs on a 970 it will probably run on Morpheus at 60hz to 120hz.

It'll be expensive and if it relies on the power capabilities of the console it'll be terrible.

You couldn't be more wrong. You really should watch the video I linked to, it disputes your incorrect preconceived notions. It will be far from terrible.

FleetFeet

You miss understood what I mean I think the tech s great today but in 10 years it will be at a mass market pricing. I think they are releasing VR too soon in general. This is great but it need more time for the price to go down on the technology used in the VR devices. Also writing off the quote in the OP as vague is wrong in this situation it clearly suggests that is will be an expensive add on to the PS4. We can only hope that PSVR will be used in future devices and that is only if Sony chooses to support it.

Mainstream price tho? We don't know what the price is actually, so we can't really discuss that, but we still don't even know what the mainstream will accept. Apple easily sells 20-30 million phones for $600-800 every month. That is a different device all together, but I don't believe anyone thought mainstream consumers would fork over that much money for any electronic device. We don't know how much most people will value VR, but I think once they try it, the price barrier becomes less of a hurdle, just like what happened with smartphones, so I think it's too early to say the mainstream won't bite because it's cost prohibitive for them.

If he mentioned which platform (he could of been talking about Vita for all we know), then maybe you can make a case that he wasn't being vague, but he didn't, so to assume or infer a platform of your choosing is not a valid reason to assume a price has been indicated at all.

THE RETURN OF $599!!

rob-ford-reaction-gifs.gif

jaypah

I can't wait to compare the Vive and PSVR in home. If it's supposed to punch with a 970 that would be incredible. I understand that Vive will be rendering at a way higher resolution (and probably framerate for most things) but a dev even said the difference wasn't noticeable. How the hell does that work?

RIP in peace

why do people always say this? is it a redundancy joke?

anyway - this be dead.

i mean, i'm a pc gamer who spends way too much on hardware all the time, but the whole point of consoles is affordability and ease of operation...

if it's $700.00 USD to buy a PS4 and the VR set - it would have to have some KILLER apps to convince me to jump in.

[also, i don't own a ps4 yet, and keep waiting for a good reason to buy one]

Nafai1123

Banned
It's a good sign that so many people are disappointed by the launch price. It shows that a lot of people are interested in paying money for VR and it's games, even if a lot of those people aren't interested at the launch price.

I'm expecting the consumer rift to hit at around $400 or so, so I can see this being a shade cheaper, but that will depend on what else comes with it. Like, I have a PlayStation camera and a couple of move controllers already, so I'm hoping I can just buy the headset, but I'd be surprised if they sell it without the camera included.

But if they do, then maybe they could get it down below $300... but I don't think that's going to do many people any good.

It's going to be a couple of years at least before we see a compelling all in one bundle with a PS4, but at a point that'll likely happen.

However it's definitely fair to say this price should have been expected given the technology in the headset and given the r+d costs. The DK2 is sold for $350 and that's basically as cheap as it can be without it losing Oculus money.

They'll have to offer the headset without the camera for obvious reasons. Forcing people who already have one to buy another would be complete idiocy.

And your DK2 comparison is actually really interesting. They sold it for $350 which, as you said, was the cheapest they could get away with without losing money. But that included the camera needed for positional depth tracking and was obviously built in much smaller numbers than a consumer product, making the price of parts/construction higher (not to mention that the displays have gotten even cheaper since then).

Given all of that, I could see PSVR on it's own being $300 or less.

I can't wait to compare the Vive and PSVR in home. If it's supposed to punch with a 970 that would be incredible. I understand that Vive will be rendering at a way higher resolution (and probably framerate for most things) but a dev even said the difference wasn't noticeable. How the hell does that work?

It seems like a lot of it comes from the RGB display Sony is using in addition to some top secret SDK stuff that nobody can talk about. I'm rather skeptical that the difference will be that small given large the difference in resolution, but I'm not a developer working with both kits. Guess we'll see when they're finally out. If it does offer visual quality in the same ballpark as the Vive then those engineers at Sony are fucking geniuses.

FleetFeet

I'm really surprised by all this too... I always felt PSVR would just be a step down from the other HMDs (and that wouldn't of been such a bad thing, considering the circumstances), but its sounding like it really will hold its own. I guess a lot of it has to do with the closed architecture, no overhead and pure performance of a console coupled with optimizations. Now I don't know if anyone has touched on async compute for VR on the ps4 yet, but I wonder how much more performance they can drive out of the console using those techniques in the future. I think Dreams is using that technique and they have been teasing VR really hard when it comes to their new game... I can't wait to see more of that title at PGW.

I hope that's true. So far its all just promises.

You'll tend to have that when a product hasn't even been released yet.

I am quite surprised at most of the reactions here. Many people already think they precisely know the outcome of how Morpheus is going to perform commercially based on one factor (that is not to mention somewhat vague and variable over time on top of that).

Welcome to every VR thread, ever.

I don't remember what we were discussing exactly, but is your main point of contention that he's just fudging the numbers or that his claims that PSVR isn't capable to match the performance of a CV1 and GTX970/980?

Well anyways, whatever the case may be, I found this interesting video from the UE4 devs and they go into a little bit on PSVR.

http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine/v/7616153

Go to 23:26 to hear about how they implemented Showdown and at 24:10 they specifically state that PSVR can target the same fill rate as CV1 with a 970.

As someone that's played the released Showdown on a dk2 honestly it isn't much to write home about visually, especially lighting wise, they stripped it down quite a bit in the effects dept since initial reveal. Some tried adding better lighting back in but weren't able to get it to the same level. What's important is that it does run smoothly, and is a compelling experience, though it is not a technical showpiece imo. Also keep in mind Morpheus being 1080 vs 1440 of Vive/CV1 so it'll have a bit more wiggle room for comparable experiences assets wise.

Circinus

Always expected it to be €349-€449 personally; I don't know exactly what the production costs are of the Morpheus HMD, but I imagine the optics are pretty expensive.

The Morpheus has to be more than just a proprietary PS4 accessory for me to appealing though. If I can use it with other video sources and with other computing devices (PC) than just the PS4, then I would consider the Morpheus if I were looking for a VR HMD.

I think VR is going to play a significant role going forward, in many fields (3D modeling / CAD, art, entertainment (video games, films), simulation/training within certain professional fields (pilots, surgeons for example), psychology, tourism/recreation), so I expect many tech/electronics companies to get involved with it.

I am quite surprised at most of the reactions here. Many people already think they precisely know the outcome of how Morpheus is going to perform commercially based on one factor (that is not to mention somewhat vague and variable over time on top of that).

Bsigg12

It'll be interesting to see how they price their solution versus HTC with the Vive and Oculus with the Rift. With the Vive going out in limited quantities this year, they'll be the first to have a price so that'll be interesting.

It'll be interesting to see how they price their solution versus HTC with the Vive and Oculus with the Rift. With the Vive going out in limited quantities this year, they'll be the first to have a price so that'll be interesting.

Eagerly awaiting streams and news from Oculus Connect next week. Palmer has said expect no pre-orders as those will come later in the year but hoping for some pricing info. Feels like a stalemate with those two waiting on each other to announce a price xD

Not paying that much money without quite a few AAA titles guaranteed.

There will be system sellers. But I am not sure if you can call SummerLesson or DOA3X "AAA" titles....

The very first VR games will most likely be more "casual". Easy to understand, easy to adopt, and yes, easy to master. All they have to do is to make sure that most people trying it want to buy it. Like Wii Sports did.

Always said VR is a complete gimmick. The cost alone will kill it, let alone even if it was super cheap, it still would not sell cause it has no games.

Flandy

There any GDC talks or anything really specifically about PSVR/Morhpeus? I've seen a ton about Oculus but I haven't really seen any for PSVR.

I'm really surprised by all this too... I always felt PSVR would just be a step down from the other HMDs (and that wouldn't of been such a bad thing, considering the circumstances), but its sounding like it really will hold its own. I guess a lot of it has to do with the closed architecture, no overhead and pure performance of a console coupled with optimizations. Now I don't know if anyone has touched on async compute for VR on the ps4 yet, but I wonder how much more performance they can drive out of the console using those techniques in the future. I think Dreams is using that technique and they have been teasing VR really hard when it comes to their new game... I can't wait to see more of that title at PGW.

Maybe Sony thought it would be a good idea to make it future (PS5) proof? According to quite a lot of posts here the weak link is the PS4's hardware, not PSVR itself.

Bsigg12

Eagerly awaiting streams and news from Oculus Connect next week. Palmer has said expect no pre-orders as those will come later in the year but hoping for some pricing info. Feels like a stalemate with those two waiting on each other to announce a price xD

Yea, when nothing on prices for any of the 3 came out at E3 it suddenly became a waiting game to see who would set the bar for entry for just the headset. Leaving hardware requirements aside (a ps4 or whatever PC stuff), I really want to know what each company values their headset at and what each intend on including.

FleetFeet

As someone that's played the released Showdown on a dk2 honestly it isn't much to write home about visually, especially lighting wise, they stripped it down quite a bit in the effects dept since initial reveal. Some tried adding better lighting back in but weren't able to get it to the same level. What's important is that it does run smoothly, and is a compelling experience, though it is not a technical showpiece imo. Also keep in mind Morpheus being 1080 vs 1440 of Vive/CV1 so it'll have a bit more wiggle room for comparable experiences assets wise.

Oh I understand that, and I wasn't trying to make a point of comparison of Showdowns graphics per say, just that PSVR is more than capable and won't really have to downgrade their games substantially just to meet performance requirements. Another video I saw from these guys goes in-depth about how they had to use indirect lighting because they couldn't afford a direct source of light in that scene, but I'm more impressed with the fact that none of the assets/content had to be changed to get it to run on PSVR, the porting process sounds like its going to be incredibly easy on devs, which is great news for everyone involved. Even though it might be at a disadvantage with regards to resolution, it might end up being a benefit for PSVR in the end.

Maybe Sony thought it would be a good idea to make it future (PS5) proof? According to quite a lot of posts here the weak link is the PS4's hardware, not PSVR itself.

I can def see that, but considering the resolution PSVR is launching with, I'd hate to see that... I really want it running at 4k or 8k at 120hz natively for PS5 with foveated rendering lol!

Yea, when nothing on prices for any of the 3 came out at E3 it suddenly became a waiting game to see who would set the bar for entry for just the headset. Leaving hardware requirements aside (a ps4 or whatever PC stuff), I really want to know what each company values their headset at and what each intend on including.

Still bummed about no Touch packed in with CV1 but I understand if it needs more time in the oven it needs it, curious what the price point will be for that alone though.

Oh I understand that, and I wasn't trying to make a point of comparison of Showdowns graphics per say, just that PSVR is more than capable and won't really have to downgrade their games substantially just to meet performance requirements. Another video I saw from these guys goes in-depth about how they had to use indirect lighting because they couldn't afford a direct source of light in that scene, but I'm more impressed with the fact that none of the assets/content had to be changed to get it to run on PSVR, the porting process sounds like its going to be incredibly easy on devs, which is great news for everyone involved. Even though it might be at a disadvantage with regards to resolution, it might end up being a benefit for PSVR in the end.

Yup, as long as perf is the priority it's all good. Hopefully Blow manages to ship The Witness with Morpheus support.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Masayasu Ito, Sony Japan exec, said in an interview yesterday they're aiming to get PSVR price as low as possible.

But that doesn't mean much when we don't know what "low" is.

kewlmyc

Will wait for reviews before throwing money down.

What prices were people expecting? It's two 120hz monitors in a headset. Of course it wasn't going to be cheap.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Still bummed about no Touch packed in with CV1 but I understand if it needs more time in the oven it needs it, curious what the price point will be for that alone though.

Yup, as long as perf is the priority it's all good. Hopefully Blow manages to ship The Witness with Morpheus support.

I'd rather they delay OR by a month or two and bundle the motion controller.

timlot

Banned
PSVR headset has a single 1080p screen.

Interesting that they are using a 1080p panel. Sony did just become the first company to put a 4k screen in a 5.5 smartphone with the Xperia z5 premium. Thats a 806ppi vs 386ppi for the 5.7 1080p screen Sony is using the PSVR.

Top Bottom