• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens takes over Entertainment Weekly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

boyega-chewbacca-ford.jpg

Love this, reminds me of

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Oersted

Another Death Star? that Empire never learns...

I want to see a movie which shows the baddies recruiting people for the Death Star.

"Three times the charm..."

"It gotta work out at one point, right?"

"If it wouldn't work, why would we try it again?"

"Trust me, I'm an expert."

"You have no lines in this movie, noone gives a flying fuck about you anyway."

boyega-chewbacca-ford.jpg

Love this, reminds me of

That's the point. This movie is supposed to remind you why you loved the OT. That's why the stormtrooper and vehicle designs are so similar. Han, Chewie, Leia and Luke are in it. Bad guy dressed in all black with a red laser sword. Plucky kid on a desert wasteland gets swept up into a greater adventure. Sound familiar?

Episode 7 has one job:

Hit a double and get on base. No big swings for the fences where you might strike out. You hit a double, get on base and give the batters behind you (episodes 8 and 9) a chance to get hits and score.

I want to see a movie which shows the baddies recruiting people for the Death Star.

"Three times the charm..."

"It gotta work out at one point, right?"

"If it wouldn't work, why would we try it again?"

"Trust me, I'm an expert."

"You have no lines in this movie, noone gives a flying fuck about you anyway."

Not as bad as Babylon 5.

It took them 5 goes to finally get a station that didn't blow up or disappear.

Oersted

How do stormtroopers aim? One is looking at the weapon, while the other two are starring at ground. With visors which make their sight worse.

Not

Banned
Fuck. There might be a huge spoiler in those image file titles. Fuck me.

One of them is labeled (big big big big potential spoiler)
Finn Calrissian

Not

Banned
I'm not seeing what you're seeing anywhere.

It might be a joke. Drag the image from the OP to the desktop and check what it's titled

EDIT: I'm thinking it's a joke after checking the Rey one.

EDIT EDIT: Damn. Shoulda read the first page before greedily swiping the images for my backgrounds

-griffy-

Banned
Fuck. There might be a huge spoiler in those image file titles. Fuck me.

One of them is labeled (big big big big potential spoiler)
Finn Calrissian

Those are the rehosted images on MakingStarwars, which clearly labeled them in a joking manner. Unless you think Rey's full name is actually Rey Solo Skywalker Jones.

Not

Banned
Huh, I didn't know Finn got his jacket from Poe. Lot of new (probably old) revelations in those pix

EDIT: The most bewildering double post for me of all time. It's a Star Wars thread. Oh well.

spookyfish

I mean, it wouldn't be the first time JJ did that....
Star Trek: Into Darkness...

Yep. This was my concern all along.

A buddy of mine said it best: "So, the movie probably starts with a space battle, a ship lands (crashes) on a desert planet, then dissimlar characters meet, and leave the planet with an old man in the Millenium Falcon. Sound familiar?"

Sound familiar?"

That it sounds familiar isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's Star Wars.

The way it actually PLAYS out is what will be interesting. And I'd imagine that both Kasdan and Abrams are banking on audience familiarity with what's "supposed" to be happening in order to subvert expectations that otherwise wouldn't exist. That's a thing they absolutely have to do in order to succeed - and it's a thing he did (with lesser quality writers, even) on Star Trek 09. He also did it to some extent on Mission Impossible III.

But then again, how it actually plays out won't be much of a concern for the sort of people more concerned with pointing out that they noticed a similarity as if the mere existence of a similarity is a cinema sin in and of itself.

overcast

Poe and Finn will clearly have some friendship/bond from the beginning. Maybe a rescue or soemthing idk.

Man, it's so hard not to get so hyped. But look at how badass Rey looks!

Edit: At the same time so many rehashed steps here. I can't help but be a little put off by how familiar this will all feel. Although maybe that's just Abrams and crew keeping shit behind the curtain. Drawing us in with what we know. Remains to be seen.

Oersted

That it sounds familiar isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's Star Wars.

The way it actually PLAYS out is what will be interesting. And I'd imagine that both Kasdan and Abrams are banking on audience familiarity with what's "supposed" to be happening in order to subvert expectations that otherwise wouldn't exist. That's a thing they absolutely have to do in order to succeed - and it's a thing he did (with lesser quality writers, even) on Star Trek 09. He also did it to some extent on Mission Impossible III.

But then again, how it actually plays out won't be much of a concern for the sort of people more concerned with pointing out that they noticed a similarity as if the mere existence of a similarity is a cinema sin in and of itself.

Which expectations were subverted?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
On the one hand, I'm worried that the only way Harrison Ford agreed to come back would be if Han Solo died, and it makes it incredibly obvious.

On the other hand, maybe not.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I've been jokingly insisting that SW7 will double down on enraging bigots by having Finn and Poe be the romance of the film but some of these photos are making me want the dream to be reality.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
On the one hand, I'm worried that the only way Harrison Ford agreed to come back would be if Han Solo died, and it makes it incredibly obvious.

On the other hand, maybe not.

Kasdan and Ford wanted Han to die in ROTJ, so as soon as they announced who was doing this movie I was prepared for it to happen. I haven't read any spoilers but it seems logical for the story.

Maengun1

Ummm.....was I just spoiled about
Death Star 3
? o_0

I'm not actively seeking out spoilers at all, but just from the trailers, pre-release hype "news" stories about the movie, even toys, etc, I feel like I know 90% of the plot already. I'm not really a spoilerphobe at all but damn. It's basically impossible to use the internet and stay fresh for this movie on release day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom