• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Kojima left Konami today, starting new studio, [Update: Read OP Translation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanrutcon

dmwBwLJ.jpg

I lost it. So hard.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I don't believe for a second Kojima goes Sony only. Sure PS4/PC first or something like that.

Kojima is probably the most beloved developer, but he makes really expensive games and goes over budget more often than not. Why would Sony heavily invest in a Kojima exclusive game? The risks outweigh the benefits imo and Sony is probably perfectly happy with the first party studios they have. Especially since the new Kojima game almost certainly will also come on Sony consoles.

I'm really interested to see what publisher is going to take the 'gamble' with Kojima. That said, how many publishers can and would fund a AAA-Kojima game?
I'd be surprised and not so surprised at the same time. Surprised because I don't remember the last time Kojima made a exclusive game, 2008 with MGS4 ? I wouldn't be surprised because of Kojima's relationship with PlayStation and its fans.

I'd be surprised and not so surprised at the same time. Surprised because I don't remember the last time Kojima made a exclusive game, 2008 with MGS4 ? I wouldn't be surprised because of Kojima's relationship with PlayStation and its fans.
He also has a lot of fans on pc. If he goes exclusive I would be very disappointed

Well, I'm excited!! I'm happy that Kojima can finally get to use all of his creativity without resistance.

Maybe, just maybe, that Konami firing Kojima could be the best that ever happened for Kojima and his fans.

Rurunaki

Or he could choose to release his new game on all 3 systems instead of just one. Kojima doesn't make games just for Japan so X1's state in japan is irrelevant. It is also very possible Sony approached him because he is Kojima and made a timed exclusivity deal happen for his new game just as how Sony has done it for many developers. It really could be either and there is no way to conclude which is true.

And what about the budget? You really think Kojima has enough budget to build on 3 platforms simultaneously? I can't believe I'm saying this, but Konami has had to put a leash on him because of how he blows through his budget.

Meier

Anyone who thought that Kojima would formally tie himself to Sony and get a new boss immediately after the shit that went down with Konami was not thinking very straight. There's literally no reason to do it.

Venom Fox

Banned
Absolutley amazing news!
I expect Sony will get an exclusivity deal with his new studio on their first title at least. I expect it just because Kojima loves Playstation and Sony.

Anyone who thought that Kojima would formally tie himself to Sony and get a new boss immediately after the shit that went down with Konami was not thinking very straight. There's literally no reason to do it.
There are other ways to go exclusive to Sony without working "for" them. Sony would give him the budget and freedom to do what he wants. Imagine a PS4 exclusive from Kojima that isn't MGS. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

Well..................................................................
()()
(. .)

.....There goes...........
My Hopes.........for.........
Kojima to join .....................
Platinum games.

:(
Kojima does not fit with Platinum because his games actually sell copies when they come out. They won't be able to understand that concept and the relationship wouldn't work.

Kojima is a world famous video game developer on the same level as Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario.

Well excuse me?

Good for him though, new studio, new IP, new start! Wish shim luck.

Meier

I wish Sony would quit if this "console debut" "first on Playstation", time exclusive bullshit, either you fund it or you live it alone, that's a shitty tactic.

Any time you see this sort of thing happen, it's the result of some sort of money changing hands. Whether they're funding the development of the game itself or the operations of the company is kind of irrelevant -- they're "funding it" by doing this.

De-mon

Take with a grain of salt but this guy wrote a book about MGS.

- Konami left Konami before the deadline (12/31) angry because Konami prevented his attendance at events.
- Yoji Shinkawa and other KojiPro developers with him.
- New IP, Sony could bid for MGS.
- New studio between Tokyo and Osaka, perhaps with L.A. collaboration.
- Kojima wants total freedom. No pressure. They're talking about this in the negotiation.
- It could be related to Del Toro and VR.

7lmVObm.png

EVxcPBW.png

Fat4all

Banned

- Konami left Konami before the deadline (12/31) angry because Konami prevented his attendance at events.
- Kojima wants total freedom. No pressure. They're talking about this in the negotiation.

Now this reads like a fanfic.

Xun

Is it me or are people masturbating furiously at the prospect of his work being limited to Sony hardware?

I find it all a bit baffling to be honest.

BadWolf

Why the heck would Sony bid for MGS? Even Kojima doesn't want anything to do with it.

Ampsicora

Im almost inclined to say the best thing to come of this Generation is Fake Kaz. One of the few great twitter "personalities" lol

Also, this is really happening...Kojima joining forces with Sony? If his next game is exclusive I sense nothing but

viDI97Z.gif

I love how in this generation Playstation rival is the PC. It would be unexpected till some years ago

Sony bidding for MGS would be MASSIVE for them. I hope Kojima does get total freedom to do what he wants.

KoopaTheCasual

7lmVObm.png

EVxcPBW.png
I could have made this up for you if you wanted fanfic.
Sony bidding for MGS would be MASSIVE for them. I hope Kojima does get total freedom to do what he wants.
It's also the point in the "story" that made it abundantly clear that this was fake.

Arion

And what about the budget? You really think Kojima has enough budget to build on 3 platforms simultaneously? I can't believe I'm saying this, but Konami has had to put a leash on him because of how he blows through his budget.

That might have been a big issue last gen but not now. PC,XB1&PS4 are all x86 architecture so making games for multiple systems isn't as expensive as it used to be. As for the budget, Sony isn't the only one capable of funding a game. There are many publishers and investors that Kojima can tap into due to his renown. Kojima also knows whatever he makes will find a significant audience on all three systems. There is really no reason for him to keep his game on a single platform.

leeh

Come in this thread 28 pages late. This is great news, itd be great for him to setup a studio with Sonys help.

Why are people discussing possible exclusivity, if it was made with Sony, itd be a first party studio?

Edit: Oh Sony isn't mentioned here, I saw it on reddit.

Fat4all

Banned
Is it me or are people masturbating furiously at the prospect of his work being limited to Sony hardware?

I find it all a bit baffling to be honest.

It's baffling that some people are happy that their favorite developer is leaving an oppressive work environment and is making a new game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom