• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport announced

benzy

They probably can afford self-reflections in menus and photo locations so I would not discard the video by that detail. Overall it looks very "GT".

That would require them to implement a completely different rendering approach for car reflections for different modes though, which I don't see them doing. If they're using screen-space to get self-reflections rather than their old way of doing pre-baked cube maps then it should be applicable for gameplay too.

The leaked static renders or even the garage scenes in the GTS trailer don't exhibit any new form of reflection rendering and completely lacks self-reflections, which makes me think the Alfa Romeo clip is not related to GT.

It does look GT-esque, but I'd say the car shaders and lighting actually don't look that much more impressive than GT5.

2002_ferrari_enzo__gran_turismo_5__by_vertualissimo-d5cp9xo.jpg

Apex

That would require them to implement a completely different rendering approach for car reflections for different modes though, which I don't see them doing. If they're using screen-space to get self-reflections rather than their old way of doing pre-baked cube maps then it should be applicable for gameplay too.

The leaked static renders or even the garage scenes in the GTS trailer don't exhibit any new form of reflection rendering and completely lacks self-reflections, which makes me think the Alfa Romeo clip is not related to GT.

It does look GT-esque, but I'd say the car shaders and lighting actually don't look that much more impressive than GT5.
I agree but independently of the gameplay graphics I expect some sort of self-reflections in the showcase modes. We are talking about PD and PS4, I don't think they will forget about that.

I wouldn't be surprised also if self reflections are present in the cockpit view, would be the logic evolution in their graphics engine.

magawolaz

It does have a very "GT look", but it could just be an in-house CG thing.

I was rewathcing the final laps of the 2015 Bathurst 12h (won by two GT Academy graduates alongside professional driver Katsumasa Chiyo) - given the eSport emphasis of GT Sport, can you imagine how cool it would be to have big racing events streamed on twitch with live commentaries made by professionals?
EDIT: I'm talking about in-game races like GT Academy selections, GTplanet series, FIA Championship, etc.

eso76

The self reflections are throwing me off since every footage and renders we've seen of GTSport shows the lack of side mirrors being reflected on the body.

I surely hope they would use SSR as seen in Driveclub in menus and photo travel at least.

benzy

PSVR was confirmed to launch in October. Date could be legit.

I hope GTS has some city tracks with time change...

giphy.gif

Juicy Bob

One thing I do worry about GT Sport is the shift to 'authentic' motorsport and away from the almost 'Strangereal' esque fantasy world that the other GTs created.

I love street circuits and the sheer amount and variety of street courses in GT3/4/5/6 were always one of my favourite aspects of those games. Original tracks like the Special Stage Routes that were set in spectacular Japanese metropolises, fictional but plausible circuits like Tokyo R246 (which I actually walked around when I visited Japan) or London.

In fact, just the novelty of having races set in major cities like New York, Hong Kong, Paris, Madrid, Seoul, Seattle... Just fantastic, spectacular courses that would be awful in real life but work because they are in a video game. I miss a lot of those former tracks and would love to see them brought back in this new generation.

I appreciate that this GT Sport game is looking to step back into the authentic world of motorsport, but I worry it's simply going to tread the same ground that Project CARS already does with its mix of famous real life racing tracks. Circuits that we all love and that all the major real world series race on, but also tracks that we've all driven to death over many years in all sorts of racing sims.

I could see Sport to be released at this October, since the game will be in development for almost 3 years by then, if PD started working on the new game after they released Gran Turismo 6. Also, developing for ps4 is easier than developing for ps3, so I think PD can create a new game in 3 years.

salromano

It's happening? Could it be real? It's a German image, so the date is most likely the 12th October
Gran-Turismo-Sport-PlayStation-VR-Release-1.jpg

Checked it myself and it's there. Included No Man's Sky for reference it's out in June and thus lists the date as 22.06.2016, so the GT one is definitely October 12.

rJylUqc.jpg

GHG

One thing I do worry about GT Sport is the shift to 'authentic' motorsport and away from the almost 'Strangereal' esque fantasy world that the other GTs created.

I love street circuits and the sheer amount and variety of street courses in GT3/4/5/6 were always one of my favourite aspects of those games. Original tracks like the Special Stage Routes that were set in spectacular Japanese metropolises, fictional but plausible circuits like Tokyo R246 (which I actually walked around when I visited Japan) or London.

In fact, just the novelty of having races set in major cities like New York, Hong Kong, Paris, Madrid, Seoul, Seattle... Just fantastic, spectacular courses that would be awful in real life but work because they are in a video game. I miss a lot of those former tracks and would love to see them brought back in this new generation.

I appreciate that this GT Sport game is looking to step back into the authentic world of motorsport, but I worry it's simply going to tread the same ground that Project CARS already does with its mix of famous real life racing tracks. Circuits that we all love and that all the major real world series race on, but also tracks that we've all driven to death over many years in all sorts of racing sims.

They will still bring out a mainline GT that will give you all the things you want.

in 2018

DavidDesu

GT Sport being a PSVR launch title would be pretty sweet. I mean, there's no excuse for it delaying any further, how long do they need, especially if it's a more cut down game than what the usual GT games are!

First PSVR game I will play if it is!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think Alex is going to be doing the music. Like I mentioned, he lists bikes and cars sounds as what he's working on. And he's been traveling around to different places with Mike.

But I guess we'll find out what they've accomplished in two weeks. I think sound is probably the #1 thing that fans wants to see improved with the series. And I think the frustrating part is that PD clearly knows what we want it to sound like as they overlay sounds in the trailers that we want in game. So hopefully that all comes together with GTS. The trailer should just start with "Everything you're about to see and hear is in-game" and then cut to a black screen with something like the LFA revving its engine before going into the rest of the trailer.

What's in two weeks?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kaz is probably just going to imprison them and use their fear to push the ps4 hardware further.

ZL3b4Rr.jpg

Honey Bunny

Turned on my PS3 and there's a 9GB update for GT6 and a 48mb update for GT5. Is that normal?

edit: yeh there's no one shouting about it on GTP so it must be. Oh well.

DavidDesu

If it's been over a week since you last turned it on, then yes.

I really hope to god all PS4 GT games do all this stuff much more cleverly. The games on PS3 were just awfully bogged down with updates and stuff. Fingers crossed the Beta is public before we even know it. I'm expecting great things from PD on the PS4...

(And when you look at the sound on a pretty small team oriented game like Dirt Rally then there's no excuse at all that GT should be far off of that level. I mean Dirt just sounds like it's real, that's what these cars sound like. It seems like such a simple thing to get across...)

JamboGT

Technically GT's sound reproductions is really good, as in from different positions, cameras etc, it even shows the differences in the speed of sound versus light which is pretty cool. The issue is just the actual sounds, hopefully the extra overhead/new talent etc do a good job.

Turned on my PS3 and there's a 9GB update for GT6 and a 48mb update for GT5. Is that normal?

edit: yeh there's no one shouting about it on GTP so it must be. Oh well.
I recommend downloading and updating GT6 one patch at a time, if there are multiple. Otherwise there's a very good chance it'll lock up on you.

THE:MILKMAN

Technically GT's sound reproductions is really good, as in from different positions, cameras etc, it even shows the differences in the speed of sound versus light which is pretty cool. The issue is just the actual sounds, hopefully the extra overhead/new talent etc do a good job.

This has been the issue all along. It reminds me of HiFi arguments over CD vs Vinyl where the numbers say CD but the ears say Vinyl.

What I really don't understand that someone else pointed out, is that PD have done lots of amazing sound dubs in trailers so know what the fans like even if technically they may not be accurate.

psn

Kaz is probably just going to imprison them and use their fear to push the ps4 hardware further.

ZL3b4Rr.jpg

sry for OT, but why do you have Hillary as your avatar? No offence, just asking because I haven't seen a politician as an avatar before.

synce

Checked it myself and it's there. Included No Man's Sky for reference it's out in June and thus lists the date as 22.06.2016, so the GT one is definitely October 12.

rJylUqc.jpg

I'm confused, this game isn't F2P? It feels like it would be F2P. Any official word on that?

Top Bottom