• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Can We Take a Joke?" - North American Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

stufte

There is a backlash against jokes that rely on racist, sexist and homophobic punchlines because more and more people are being outspoken about no longer accepting casual racism, sexism and homophobia. And that's a good thing.

When any joke that even remotely pokes fun at a woman or minority is labeled as sexist or racist, that's a bad thing.

Tagyhag

Wow, Lisa Lampanelli looks like a completely different person since the last time I saw her.

Oh, the Jeff Foxworthy roast was 11 years ago.

Fuck.

sit back and take what, though?
they ARE just whining. no one is stopping them from telling jokes
they're upset because some people are criticizing their jokes
what is there to "take"? no one is arresting them

If you'd have watched the trailer, there's several instances noted of comedians getting arrested, physically attacked, and publicly harassed by people 'outraged' at their jokes.

The film isn't about stereotypical criticism of comedy. It's about how severe, focused and organized that criticism has become in the internet/outrage culture age. There's a huge difference between people getting offended by the content of your jokes - and people getting so offended they run up on stage and punch you in the face, call the police, or call you "Black Hitler". The movie clearly appears to be focusing on the latter - which is definitely a problem that's grown significantly worse in the past 10 or so years.

entremet

i mean..i didnt say the movie shouldn't exist. i just disagreed with the point they're trying to make

edit: and you know, i really don't feel bad that a bunch of (subjectively) unfunny comedians are getting criticized for shitty jokes that punch down at minorities or whatever they're upset about

Which joke are we talking about?

Seinfeld complained about this stuff and he's as tame as can be.

These strawmen of racist, homophobic, sexist jokes is missing the point here. That's not the issue. It's jokes taken out of context mostly.

I'd also just like to point out that, regardless of your political views on the topic, this is a pretty shoddily-made trailer. I'm not even convinced this will be a competently made look on the topic.

I kinda agree, plus it needed much wider breath of comedians such as Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy, Jerry Seinfeld, Louis CK, Bill Burr, Dave Chappelle, Aries Spears, etc...

Cry me a fuckin' river.

There are overly sensitive PC leftists out there, yes, but people who demonize any criticism of art on grounds of perceived racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia/etc. as a call for censorship - whose first response to such criticism is "stop whining and grow a thicker skin" - are a much greater problem.

mattp

If you'd have watched the trailer, there's several instances noted of comedians getting arrested, physically attacked, and publicly harassed by people 'outraged' at their jokes.

The film isn't about stereotypical criticism of comedy. It's about how severe, focused and organized that criticism has become in the internet/outrage culture age. There's a huge difference between people getting offended by the content of your jokes - and people getting so offended they run up on stage and punch you in the face, call the police, or call you "Black Hitler". The movie clearly appears to be focusing on the latter - which is definitely a problem that's grown significantly worse in the past 10 or so years.

no, i get that. and maybe being ignorant here is gonna make me look stupid. but are instances of people attacking comedians, because of a joke seriously, all that common? or has it happened a few times? i wouldnt be surprised if they used the footage of the only times it's ever happened in this trailer

My issue with this sentiment is that it often comes across as comically hypocritical and demonstrates a complete lack of self-awareness. The crux of the issue is that "people are just too damn sensitive these days!" And in whining about that, it carries with it the same sort of oversensitivity that you're decrying the opposition of being guilty of. If the issue really is something where some namby pampy Social Justice Warrior is getting outraged for the umpteenth time and making a mountain out of a molehill, maybe the most productive thing to do is to simply ignore it and move on and focus on appealing to your fans instead of throwing fuel on the fire and creating a bigger divide?

sans_pants

avec_pénis
My issue with this sentiment is that it often comes across as comically hypocritical a demonstrates a complete lack of self-awareness. The crux of the issue is that "people are just too damn sensitive these days!" And in whining about that, it carries with it the same sort of oversensitivity that you're decrying the opposition of being guilty of. If the issue really is something where some namby pampy Social Justice Warrior is getting outraged for the umpteenth time and making a mountain out of a molehill, maybe the most productive thing to do is to simply ignore it and move on and focus on appealing to your fans instead of throwing fuel on the fire and creating a bigger divide?

"I'm mad that they are mad" is truly delicious irony of the modern age

notworksafe

My issue with this sentiment is that it often comes across as comically hypocritical a demonstrates a complete lack of self-awareness. The crux of the issue is that "people are just too damn sensitive these days!" And in whining about that, it carries with it the same sort of oversensitivity that you're decrying the opposition of being guilty of. If the issue really is something where some namby pampy Social Justice Warrior is getting outraged for the umpteenth time and making a mountain out of a molehill, maybe the most productive thing to do is to simply ignore it and move on and focus on appealing to your fans instead of throwing fuel on the fire and creating a bigger divide?

and when those detractors are attacking the comedians or lobbying venues to cancel shows, then what?

mattp

"I'm mad that they are mad" is truly delicious irony of the modern age

"i'm mad that people are calling to attention that some of my jokes might not be cool(or even funny, sometimes) and coming to terms with that fact, even though i don't want to admit it to myself, makes me lash out"

sqwarlock

That's not really the impression I got. It seems more like a response to the outrage culture where every mole hill gets turned into a mountain.

That being said, I have a hard time backing anything with Adam Carolla

At this point the outrage over outrage culture seems to be the louder voice, and all this movie does is add to that fire. Almost every documentary has an inherent bias towards its subject matter, but I don't see this movie challenging the views of people that get offended at what these comedians say. It's probably just going to be an echo chamber for these comedians to lash out against certain groups of people. Not my jam.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
If the issue really is something where some namby pampy Social Justice Warrior is getting outraged for the umpteenth time and making a mountain out of a molehill, maybe the most productive thing to do is to simply ignore it and move on and focus on appealing to your fans instead of throwing fuel on the fire and creating a bigger divide?
It's harder to ignore if your career is being affected by the nonstop outrage machine. People lose their jobs for dumb jokes on Twitter. Comedians are apologizing for jokes constantly, when it's their job to make stupid jokes that might cause offense.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Looks good, glad to see good ol' Jimmy Norton in it.

Nice to see some NeoGaf posters reacting predictably.

I've been subjected to Adam Carolla for decades. I'm not flying blind here.

I kinda agree, plus it needed much wider breath of comedians such as Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy, Jerry Seinfeld, Louis CK, Bill Burr, Dave Chappelle, Aries Spears, etc...

Right. There are a ton of comedians who do good work, have large followings, and don't receive the same kind of backlash that folks like Carolla do. Yet, none of them are featured here.

and when those detractors are attacking the comedians or lobbying venues to cancel shows, then what?

Attacking them how? Have these lobbying efforts been successful? Have any venues expressed disappointment that a show that would have otherwise sold well and been profitable and generated solid revenue for both the club and the performer have had to be canceled for no other reason than placating an angry mob? I'm not unwilling to hear counterpoints here, but I'm interested in specific examples of this happening.

no, i get that. and maybe being ignorant here is gonna make me look stupid. but are instanced of people attacking comedians, because of a joke seriously, all that common? or has it happened a few times? i wouldnt be surprised if they used the footage of the only times it's ever happened in this trailer

I would imagine considering how many completely different comedians (across the entire spectrum of comedy, new comedians, old comedians, shock comedians, dry humor comedians, etc.) have been echoing the same sentiment for the past couple of years that it's probably something that's happening a lot more frequently than it used to.

My guess is that it's a result of the internet making everything you've ever done or said available to everyone at any time. If you told a bad joke 15 years ago, it was pretty much limited to the audience at hand. They might get offended or pissed off, but that was the end of it. They just didn't come to your next show. Now, that bad joke is broadcast to the whole world. Everyone can get offended by it, and watch it, over and over, getting more and more upset until someone eventually boils over and does/says something stupid. You have to be on point 24/7 now. You can't make a little fuck-up here or there and have it go largely ignored. One fuck-up can completely ruin your career.

And I don't think comedians have adjusted well to this new dynamic.

But I honestly have no idea.

The Argus

I've been subjected to Adam Carolla for decades. I'm not flying blind here.

I'm not familiar with him outside of the Man Show where he just basically the guy Kimmel used to fill dead air. Has he had some big controversies with his standup?

notworksafe

Attacking them how? Have these lobbying efforts been successful? Have any venues expressed disappointment that a show that would have otherwise sold well and been profitable and generated solid revenue for both the club and the performer have had to be canceled for no other reason than placating an angry mob? I'm not unwilling to hear counterpoints here, but I'm interested in specific examples of this happening.

Did you watch the trailer? I thought it was at least required to watch the video in the OP before responding around here.

Leunam

Right. There are a ton of comedians who do good work, have large followings, and don't receive the same kind of backlash that folks like Carolla do. Yet, none of them are featured here.

And some of those comedians are willing to grow. Like Louis CK with the 'faggy' joke that he even addressed on his own show.

The Boat

Criticism without self-awareness or tact doesn't hold much weight. Screaming "faux outrage" is as ignorant as you can get.

That goes both ways, that's how opinions and free speech go. I'm talking in general terms of course, not about this documentary.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm not familiar with him outside of the Man Show where he just basically the guy Kimmel used to fill dead air. Has he had some big controversies with his standup?

He was ok then.
He's steadily gotten more angry since. He's also been wedging himself further up his own ass.

It's harder to ignore if your career is being affected by the nonstop outrage machine. People lose their jobs for dumb jokes on Twitter. Comedians are apologizing for jokes constantly, when it's their job to make stupid jokes that might cause offense.

What is the solution then? Should the people who do have greviences towards these "jokes" just shut up and not say anything? Seems a bit hypocritical then.

Comedians have every right to make whatever jokes they want, and people have every right to criticize them.

mattp

how is losing jobs because people are offended by your jokes any different than losing jobs because you're not funny?
people dont find the jokes funny. in this case its because they find them offensive
you're a comedian. if there's not a big enough audience for your shitty fucking jokes, that sucks for you doesn't it?

Did you watch the trailer? I thought it was at least required to watch the video in the OP before responding around here.

There's a quick seconds-long shot of a couple of people storming a stage with no context, the guy talking about being called black Hitler, and Penn talking about Lenny Bruce being arrested. Yes, I watched the trailer, but there isn't a lot of context for the specifics here. I'm not trying to be Mr. Big Shot and seem like I'm imposing threats that I'm about to throw you out (as I'm sure you don't care anyway), but could you maybe give me credit for trying to post in good faith and reply earnestly instead of just offering snark?

The saying is 'take a joke' so they should learn to do that.

Not everyone is the same. If someone takes legitmate offense at at something then they have every right to voice it. Freedom of speech works both ways. It doesn't mean you need to legitimize it or even acknowledge it, but they still have every right to make it.

Onemic

I agree with the general premise, but Adam Carolla tho....

That's not gonna give the movie any favours.

TS-08

Almost all of those comedians have made comments about "PC" audiences at some point. Both Rock and Seinfeld basically have said colleges aren't worth doing anymore. And Burr and Chapelle have definitely received backlash for offensive jokes/comments.

And the only reason Murphy never received any backlash is because he operated in the 80's. He said plenty of things that would get him boycotted today.

how is losing jobs because people are offended by your jokes any different than losing jobs because you're not funny?
people dont find the jokes funny. in this case its because they find them offensive
you're a comedian. if there's not a big enough audience for your shitty fucking jokes, that sucks for you doesn't it?

Exactly.

There is a backlash against jokes that rely on racist, sexist and homophobic punchlines because more and more people are being outspoken about no longer accepting casual racism, sexism and homophobia. And that's a good thing.
I do not mind humor that is light hearted and funny. However, if the joke is based on a negative connotation then yes it is an issue.
As a white guy, I still laugh at the white guy dancing jokes.

As a general rule I hate comedy that is based on being cruel to people. Steven Universe and Gumball do it right with humor that is just you laugh because of how odd it is.

Hahaha!

"Notable"

Hahaha!
I will give them Penn, but he is more a magician than a comedian.
Let's be honest, we only liked Gilbert Godfrey for his voice. His material sucks.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
My issue with this sentiment is that it often comes across as comically hypocritical and demonstrates a complete lack of self-awareness. The crux of the issue is that "people are just too damn sensitive these days!" And in whining about that, it carries with it the same sort of oversensitivity that you're decrying the opposition of being guilty of. If the issue really is something where some namby pampy Social Justice Warrior is getting outraged for the umpteenth time and making a mountain out of a molehill, maybe the most productive thing to do is to simply ignore it and move on and focus on appealing to your fans instead of throwing fuel on the fire and creating a bigger divide?

I hope an issue they bring up, and they did show a very brief screen grap of it in there, is stuff like the #CancelColbert incident and how this apparent "Outrage" culture sometimes gets it really wrong and their reactions are beginning to go from vocal criticism to being extremely hateful and threatening, if not violent as per some of their clips seem to show. This is something that goes well beyond just comedians, but pretty much all of internet culture. The level of response that wrong doings, or perceived wrong doings, might obtain can often be beyond proportion.

This is hopefully more an examination of the past, Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, etc. and how limited comedians once were by the law, or there abouts, and fears that today's culture is trying to guard itself so much from things they don't like to hear or see and that will lead to a public that once again allows for actual, or just shy of, legal limitations on what people can say for the good of us all.

There are plenty of tasteless comedians that are willfully ignorant of the things they say and joke about and how it affects others, but I think stuff like this is popping up for a better reason than just privileged, generally white male, or female, comedians who are getting called out on their lazy and objectively insensitive/offensive material, but because their is a real feeling that people are always on edge and on guard waiting for someone to say something they dislike or are offended by.

But then again looking at the line up of comedians they have billed for this doc it's not exactly a sterling cast of comics who are known for the nuanced jokes. It's mostly shock comics, but maybe that's the point.

Adam Carolla is the worst person they could use to examine this issue because his "jokes" come from a genuine place of misogyny.

I hope an issue they bring up, and they did show a very brief screen grap of it in there, is stuff like the #CancelColbert incident and how this apparent "Outrage" culture sometimes gets it really wrong and their reactions are beginning to go from vocal criticism to being extremely hateful and threatening, if not violent as per some of their clips seem to show.

I think #CancelColbert is an example of people getting it wrong, but Colbert's reaction was actually a good case study in how to react to it. He could have easily have undid a lot of good will he earned over the years by being caught off guard at this criticism and becoming overly defensive. But he kept his cool, calmed the angry fans who were lashing out at #CancelColbert, and it all blew over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom