• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Large Youtubers Hide Ownership of CSGO Lottery Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF9HCUdwN_t/

63u3uUl.jpg

Wow

Mahonay

Banned
Valve looks pretty shitty right now for just letting them use their APIs for this, completely unchecked, until now. They've always been dubious in some of their handlings of Steam, but this is when it becomes unacceptable.
I am surprised Valve lets this stuff happen.

Well I'm not THAT shocked.
Yeah not surprised but fuck, this would hopefully be a wake up call for them.

True Fire

It can be argued that he stole $23,600 from people by betting and weighing it so that he could win correct?

Some random kids could pop up on his site wanting to bet there $800 knife and he just logs into the mod account and "wins" the item with a 100% chance of success?

This is the narrative I am hoping get pushed heavily. He established an illegal gambling site that he [could have] used to steal digital items that hold real world value from people.

Wow, Runescape scammers have really come a long way, haven't they?

This situation is a perfect storm of every toxic aspect of the video game industry colliding and imploding all at once. Hopefully there will be more awareness from now on.

BowieZ

Banned
I get to wake up every day of my life and do what I love, sharing my passion with people that I love. Thank you for supporting me and enabling me to do that.

All of this is from a 15 year old kid who had big dreams, a hard work ethic, and a love for video games. I remember when gaming was looked down upon, as a waste of time and productivity. Now we have entertainers with millions of subscribers and competitive CounterStrike on live TV.

Anything is possible, work hard, do what you love, and create your own luck. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

Thanks dudes
https://www.instagram.com/p/BF9HCUdwN_t/

63u3uUl.jpg
Amazingly disgusting.

#thanksidiots more like it.

enemy2k

This is disgusting and shady af. It is a shame how some people on YouTube will take advantage of other gamers to enrich themselves in an unethical manner.

HeeHo

Forgive my ignorance but when he says he won 23,000 - Did he just win 23,000 worth of skins or actual cash/money?

Wow, Runescape scammers have really come a long way, haven't they?

This situation is a perfect storm of every toxic aspect of the video game industry colliding and imploding all at once. Hopefully there will be more awareness from now on.

I hear Tmarnt is willing to gild your armor for free. Just meet him in the wilderness.

Nzyme32

All those games use the Steam market.
https://steamcommunity.com/market/

And the API open to pretty much any dev to use.

Yeah I mean Steam more specifically, almost forgot that they opened up the item store and trading stuff. In my head I was specifically thinking of Heathstone which I've been playing recently. Practically the same crate microtransactions but they are not sellable / tradeable. Steam / Valve seem to be the only ones enabling trade / selling of those items

Boke1879

Guys don't miss sight of the issue.

I'm not going to say at one point in his life he didn't work hard to get where he is at. So I won't focus on people bringing up pictures of his expensive lifestyle because that's not the focus.

Lets keep it to the issue at hand.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Forgive my ignorance but when he says he won 23,000 - Did he just win 23,000 worth of skins or actual cash?

skins value. this is how they think they're getting around the law because it's not money but the skins have monetary value so it is.

HonMirin

I think at the very least the class action suit should weld a hefty fine against the company which results in its demise, and leaves a constant reminder on those involved and to those who exploit minors and vulnerable users of such sites.

They knew what they were doing. They should be punished accordingly.

Darkwater

Eurogamer news article for anyone interested:

Steam warns users against gambling site after YouTube stars discovered as owners

Steam has begun warning users not to use a high-profile Counter-Strike: GO gambling website after its ownership turned out to be two YouTube stars - who were also using YouTube to promote the site.

Trevor "TmarTn" Martin and Tom "Syndicate" Cassell are listed in newly-uncovered business records as the president and vice-president, respectively, of online gambling site CS:GO Lotto.

The news of CS:GO Lotto's ownership came as a surprise to viewers who have watched the pair promote the site on their channels, where both YouTube stars can be seen gambling - and winning big money - while using it.

Neither had publicly disclosed their full roles in the site. TmarTn had not even disclosed his videos as being promotional tools.

More at the link. Glad to see this is getting coverage.

Zemm

Can we also add the third guy to the OP its JoshOG a CSGO twitch streamer listed as secretary under the name Josh Beaver. All 3 asses need to be blasted. Not just these 2

Yeah this guy was and has been constantly promoting CSGO Lotto and as far as I've seen, never said he was an owner of it. He still doesn't, he says he's "sponsored" by them.

This is pretty good stuff: http://static1.squarespace.com/stat.../1467646229567/YouTube+Compliance+-+final.pdf

Brought to you by:
https://twitter.com/gamerlaw

It's a shot by shot of a presentation made on the subject. There is a flow chart that looks like this:

CmiY3sJXYAE2o9y.jpg:large

So the FTC stuff looks pretty damn clear cut to be honest.

edit:
In case it's hard to read. The chart would go: 1. are you being paid by another person? If no, go left, question 2. are you promoting your own brand? If yes,
"Include a disclosure in
video title
(e.g. ‘promotion’). More info: see ‘Self
Promotion’"

No word on JoshOG.

I added him to the OP before the article shot up (thanks for the tip again).

My question is did he just now put that he is "sponsored" by them? Since he is a twitch streamer I wonder if he ever did a segment focused on CSGOLotto or did he just play the game normally and gave his own company a shoutout.

He still didn't give full disclosure of his relationship to the company, but I am interested in if he is doing damage control as well right now.

Hyun Sai

Ok, these guys DEFINITELY need to go to jail.

What the fuck ?

-------------------------
What's the involvment of JoshOG on this ? Why is he not cited in those articles and videos ?

MikeyB

I wonder if money laundering got into this. I don't know enough about the business model of this gambling site to know exactly how, but gambling plus odds that can be rigged seems perfect for money laundering.

These two seem to be too amateurish to really pull it off. Unless, they were just the front and the bulk of the transactions weren't actually kids, but criminals laundering money.

How do you know all of this?

Google, I guess. This year old news article states so: https://www.lesaffaires.com/blogues...ar-jour-en-vendant-des-fusils-virtuels/579654

"Artur Minacov, 21, did what few start-ups manage to do: profit. His start-up, OPSkins is a real machine to print money. With twenty employees, it generates income of about $ 12,000 per day with huge profit margins.Indeed, OPSkins made ​​money by exploiting a specialized online marketplace in the sale of virtual goods related to multiplayer shooting game Counter-Strike. "

It so beautifully admits the exploitation! LOL.

Alienous

Why does it seem like martn is getting all the heat and Syndicate is flying under the radar?

Tmartn keeps digging a grave for his defense, whilst Syndicate has remained silent after this has gained widespread attention (as far as I'm aware).

Why does it seem like martn is getting all the heat and Syndicate is flying under the radar?

Syndicate has apparently been in trouble for doing questionable things in the past and seems to know that the best course of action now is to just shut up...TmarTn doesn't seem to realize that.

Asd202

Google, I guess. This year old news article states so: https://www.lesaffaires.com/blogues...ar-jour-en-vendant-des-fusils-virtuels/579654

"Artur Minacov, 21, did what few start-ups manage to do: profit. His start-up, OPSkins is a real machine to print money. With twenty employees, it generates income of about $ 12,000 per day with huge profit margins.Indeed, OPSkins made ​​money by exploiting a specialized online marketplace in the sale of virtual goods related to multiplayer shooting game Counter-Strike. "

It so beautifully admits the exploitation! LOL.

Damn.

True Fire

I wonder if money laundering got into this. I don't know enough about the business model of this gambling site to know exactly how, but gambling plus odds that can be rigged seems perfect for money laundering.

These two seem to be too amateurish to really pull it off. Unless, they were just the front and the bulk of the transactions weren't actually kids, but criminals laundering money.

How entertaining would it be if we ever find out cartels/drug lords/the mafia uses CSGO as a front? Who needs drugs anymore when kids are hooked on video games and youtube?

I added him to the OP before the article shot up (thanks for the tip again).

My question is did he just now put that he is "sponsored" by them? Since he is a twitch streamer I wonder if he ever did a segment focused on CSGOLotto or did he just play the game normally and gave his own company a shoutout.

He still didn't give full disclosure of his relationship to the company, but I am interested in if he is doing damage control as well right now.

He admitted to it on stream i posted the mirror of the vod earlier(original removed. /shocking) Also plenty of videos of him using CSGO lotto on Youtube.

The VOD skip to 6H33M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom