• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New No Man's Sky Trailer: Trade

Its probably going to be a mess. Seems like this games is tough to say what constitutes a spoiler or not. I'd say anything not shown in official footage but its not up to me lol. I think I might just go dark. That race spoiler wasn't too bad but now that the game is in the wild and stuff, I'm getting a bit worried. I'm already avoiding Twitter.

Man I hate the last few weeks before my most highly anticipated games come out.

Normally dont care too much about apoilers outside of endgame ones but I don't want to be spoiled with this one. Want to go in fresh. Already watched so many videos. I got enough info lol.
This thread is pretty safe...for now but the entire game is based on discovery do being spoiled would suck

Badoink

Banned
I don't know, I don't know. I just wanted to land on different planets, scan some cool-looking stuff, name it something silly and move to other planet, maybe listening to a podcast in background. I'm really not sure about all of this trade, factions, resource gathering, crafting stuff.

Yeah. Thats just strange. Hopefully they are customizable. It just doesnt make any sense. Hopefully you just click it once and it runs down some kind of meter or something. If you have to hold it down that would just be ridiculous.

Ill be opening the menu needlesly more that I did in Witcher 3.

Yeah, R3; L3 is menu. Honestly doesn't make sense. Maybe they overlooked it?

Uh

Into the trash it goes. I cannot condone such buffoonery with controls

Edit: if its from the Japanese event maybe...maybe its backwards in Japan...y'know, like their manga?

SomTervo

Hahah, well to be safe. Here is a thought about the controls:

R3 being sprint is very WEIRD.

That is fucking brilliant. L3 being sprint is ridiculous and very unintuitive for new users.
R3 being sprint makes a lot of sense.
Usually you aren't trying to turn when you begin sprinting.

Also, do you have the game?!?!

E92 M3

Yeah. Thats just strange. Hopefully they are customizable. It just doesnt make any sense. Hopefully you just click it once and it runs down some kind of meter or something. If you have to hold it down that would just be ridiculous.

Ill be opening the menu needlesly more that I did in Witcher 3.

Customizable controls are just so rare these days.

Uh

Into the trash it goes. I cannot condone such buffoonery with controls

Edit: if its from the Japanese event maybe...maybe its backwards in Japan...y'know, like their manga?

I am hoping it's just reversed Japanese controls, but not too hopeful.

amnesiac

Here is the control scheme from the event; you don't have to look at it if you don't want to be "spoiled!"

9BOjUGU.png

E92 M3

That is fucking brilliant. L3 being sprint is ridiculous and very unintuitive for new users.
R3 being sprint makes a lot of sense.
Usually you aren't trying to turn when you begin sprinting.

Also, do you have the game?!?!

Based on the Japanese event. I just think Destiny controls were brilliant and majority love sprint being on L3. It's been like that for many FPS games.

You can still custom via ps4 controls settings, no?

Never tried that, but isn't it system wide?

The open display menu button is more confusing. Why not press the touch pad like every other game on PS4? Why make it every other games sprint button?

Slayven

If you look at the twitter of the guy who posted the japan stuff he reveals a game mechanic no one has honestly mentioned in the context of the game.

You can feed animals to make them friendly toward you

Based on the Japanese event. I just think Destiny controls were brilliant and majority love sprint being on L3. It's been like that for many FPS games.

Don't know, never tried myself, but more power to the players if the feature is there, at least.

Why did I click that? I have no self control. Haha I'm out. Unknown game mechanics are too much for me. Im just being picky about it with this game. See ya guys. I'm not usually like this. Feels strange.

See you on the 9th.

DigtialT

Why the hell is running on the same stick as the camera control? Also, why L3 to open the menu and not the touchpad like every other PS4 game. I really hope the controls aren't where this thing stumbles.

DigtialT

I doubt those controls will be used for PAL and NA regions

Why wouldn't they, as far as I know the only difference between Japanese controls and PAL/NA is the circle and cross uses are reversed. I don't see why they would change the function of the L3,R3, and touchpad for a different region. Also, if that is true, why the hell would they make the Japaneses controls so weird?

theWB27

Looked at the animals on Reddit and hotdamn it's good. One looks like it half swallowed another animal. What's great is I' ll most likely never see them on my run and we are gonna get some spectacular/strange stuff towards the center.

I was looking at the control scheme earlier today, and it made me think... while we're on our spaceship, we have to use the same hand to accelerate with R2 (medium finger), potentially rotate the ship with R1 (index), tilt the visual with the right stick AND fire with X using our right thumb.

3 different buttons for the Item Case (touchpad), Menu (L3) and Options (Options button)... I'm ok with having them separate from each other, but why not using L3 for running and one of the three unused D-Pad buttons for the Menu?

Looks like they're using the touchpad for quick item select, not just a big button.

So, it uses the touch feature instead of the click down. Makes more sense.

SomTervo

Just noticed 'Fire weapon' is on X.

That is really, really weird. So we won't be able to turn while firing. I think one of the press players in May noted this? Or was it IGN? They said it was weird but worked OK with the game's aiming system;

I think Call of Duty popularised it. Doesn't mean it's not a shit convention, though.

Just like how "tap X to sprint" control design has been shit in every GTA game since they implemented it in 3, but it's just "the done thing" now.

E92 M3

I think Call of Duty popularised it. Doesn't mean it's not a shit convention, though.

Just like how "tap X to sprint" control design has been shit in every GTA game since they implemented it in 3, but it's just "the done thing" now.

How is it a shit mechanic, though? All shooters that I have played used it lately. Why change something that works well?

Tap X to sprint has always been dumb - never liked it.

theWB27

That is really, really weird. So we won't be able to turn while firing. I think one of the press players in May noted this? Or was it IGN? They said it was weird but worked OK with the game's aiming system;

I think it' ll have heavy aim assistance.

SomTervo

How is it a shit mechanic, though? All shooters that I have played used it lately. Why change something that works well?

Tap X to sprint has always been dumb - never liked it.

1. It's OK a lot of the time, but as controllers get worn out over time, it's not uncommon for the 'click in' function to get really responsive. This was awful on the Xbox 360 controller. I.e. you just try to walk forward and accidentally click in the stick and start sprinting. In games where you have to manage stamina, this can get really annoying.

For example, in 7 Days to Die on the PS4 my girlfriend often sprints for ages accidentally because she doesn't realise she's clicked in the left stick (and she's a pretty experienced gamer); and in 7DtD you need to carefully manage your stamina during combat, so sometimes she'll get blindsided by a zombie and have no stamina left because she's been sprinting for the last five minutes. Led to at least three really annoying deaths.

2. It also doesn't feel good pushing forward a stick and then trying to click in the same stick while it's angled forward. You're trying to press backwards into the controller. Can be awkward.

These are nitpicks, basically, I wouldn't say it's a huge issue - 'shit' was probably an exaggeration - but just mapping it to R3 is a really elegant solution and will never get in the way. It removes any minor problems that could arise with it on L3.

I think it' ll have heavy aim assistance.

Probs.

Click in l3 to sprint is perfect. In Mad Max its hold r2 and thats fucking annoying

Yeah Mad Max has some dumb shit going on. Particularly the hilarious 'press L2 to do a tiny, useless, half-foot hop in the air that is literally useful at no point in the entire game'

DigtialT

Why the hell is turning for the ship on the bumpers and not the left stick? Why is the left stick for rolling? Why do some parts of the controls just seems flipped for some reason?

It says fire weapon on R2 as well. Im assuming fire weapon on X is for in the space ship?

E92 M3

1. It's OK a lot of the time, but as controllers get worn out over time, it's not uncommon for the 'click in' function to get really responsive. This was awful on the Xbox 360 controller. I.e. you just try to walk forward and accidentally click in the stick and start sprinting. In games where you have to manage stamina, this can get really annoying.

For example, in 7 Days to Die on the PS4 my girlfriend often sprints for ages accidentally because she doesn't realise she's clicked in the left stick (and she's a pretty experienced gamer); and in 7DtD you need to carefully manage your stamina during combat, so sometimes she'll get blindsided by a zombie and have no stamina left because she's been sprinting for the last five minutes. Led to at least three really annoying deaths.

2. It also doesn't feel good pushing forward a stick and then trying to click in the same stick while it's angled forward. You're trying to press backwards into the controller. Can be awkward.

These are nitpicks, basically, I wouldn't say it's a huge issue - 'shit' was probably an exaggeration - but just mapping it to R3 is a really elegant solution and will never get in the way. It removes any minor problems that could arise with it on L3.

Probs.

Yeah Mad Max has some dumb shit going on. Particularly the hilarious 'press L2 to do a tiny, useless, half-foot hop in the air that is literally useful at no point in the entire game'

I see your point. I just have a natural bias towards L3 due to me playing Destiny almost daily. That said, I'm sure I'll manage to adjust accordingly.

Hello Games most likely made the controls as intuitive as possible when playing the game.

I have to imagine that the control scheme just had the analog sticks flipped. I can't imagine them putting rolling on the left stick while flying.

Having roll on the left stick and turn on the bumpers seems doable. I rarely ever just turn upright in a space ship. To turn left I roll left and pull up.

Would make more sense to roll on the right though. Seems arcadey?

Like, dont most flight games that use a flight stick have up, down and roll on one stick? Seems intuitive enough. Better be inverted.

That map display though.

DigtialT

Firing, camera control, accelerating, and turning are all on the same side but unless you claw the controller you can't do all 4 at once, you have to stop using the camera. Now I don't know how the camera system works in the ships, but this could be bad if the camera is really important during a dog fight. I can already see a very common situation where this could be a in issue: You and and enemy are flying towards one another, the enemy turns to the left and flies past your right. You want to turn to follow them so you can keep shooting them. Dependent on the camera controls in the cockpit, this could mean that you can't keep the enemy in view as you can't control the camera, unless there is a very liberal use of lock on but that isn't anywhere on the controls scheme.

I have to imagine that the control scheme just had the analog sticks flipped. I can't imagine them putting rolling on the left stick while flying.

I think its because they said that you can aim your weapons independently in the ship with the right stick, meaning they stuck rolling to left stick and yaw to bumpers.

It was an a video iirc.

Top Bottom