• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New No Man's Sky Trailer: Trade

v1lla21

|OT| preparations have begun!

no-mans-sky-4-k-wallp9os49.png
:')

jond76

Banned
I really started getting excited (its been rising the whole time) when I saw that the dash layouts on ships were different. So many possibilities!

I've already warned my wife.

Hmm, a "Trade" trailer without much "trading." So, the boring and bland grinding system is finally introduced. Reminiscent of filling countless meters like free-to-play mobile games.

Notice the disappointing rock and asteroid destruction where it suddenly breaks into smaller pieces like OG Asteroids. See the awkward shadow effects at 0:16. "Every trade is a story" sounds like it is trying to make something out of nothing. At best a tech demo--why $60 again?

cool_story_dude

Troll harder.

I have a feeling that this game is trying all its best to be flexible in various styles of gameplay and later ultimately falling short in every direction. We all know trading in space exploration games like this are not one of the best translated gameplay. Just look at what happened to Elite Dangerous, X-Rebirth. It's basically a fucking chore.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have a feeling that this game is trying all its best to be flexible in various styles of gameplay and later ultimately falling short in every direction. We all know trading in space exploration games like this are not one of the best translated gameplay. Just look at what happened to Elite Dangerous, X-Rebirth. It's basically a fucking chore.

Exploration is key in this game. Everything else just needs to be serviceable IMO.

~Kinggi~

Banned

this game seems to be taking the survival route with how resources and trading are done, and those types games typically seem to have a lot happier player base when it comes to exploring and finding things to build and stuff.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Luckiest fucking guy on the planet right now

CoDjEWAUAAAI-pi.jpg

congrats-sex.gif

Hey, legacy, when are you putting up the OT? I'd like to post the photo thread after you post the OT thread, or at least closer to the time the game will unlock. Maybe 8PM PST on the 8th. I just want to make sure the OT is up first.

Unicorn

Oh man! It appears they fixed the mode7 or speed tree looking grass that would rotate with your perspective to always be perpendicular to your line of sight, meaning that grass and foliage no longer rotate 360 on an axis. That was my biggest gripe of pre release stuff (minor, but immersion breaking).

Nowy only fear left is about how good it feels to move and fly. If that's solid (which I'm hoping yes given the Burnout background) then this game will be perfect chill out game to fly and listen to music or podcasts.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wonder how many factions are in the game? We've only seen like... one, right?

Would make sense if it's one per star system or something. So a few quintillion?

EDIT: That's more like races I guess. Factions, as in X fights Y, is probably only 2-3.

steelersrock01

Neo Member
I've seen in the trailers and gameplay that the multitool, suit and ship have a set amount of upgrade slots. What happens if we fill up all the slots and want to upgrade more? For the ship i assume we can just get a new / better one with more slots, but what about the gun and suit?

The 9th feels like an eternity from now.

Especially once videos from the early copies show up, and then you have to ask yourself if you want to watch them or not. :/

I've seen in the trailers and gameplay that the multitool, suit and ship have a set amount of upgrade slots. What happens if we fill up all the slots and want to upgrade more? For the ship i assume we can just get a new / better one with more slots, but what about the gun and suit?

Maybe you can reprogram a Sentinel to carry loot for you.

Sean's gameplay philosophy on NMS seems to be about making the hard choices, so I think you'll just have to decide how to customize your multitool based on your playstyle and what you think you'll need to survive. I imagine you can also swap out modules on the fly.

steelersrock01

Neo Member
Sean's gameplay philosophy on NMS seems to be about making the hard choices, so I think you'll just have to decide how to customize your multitool based on your playstyle and what you think you'll need to survive. I imagine you can also swap out modules on the fly.

True. Hopefully we have some sort of module storage for upgrades we've made.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'd love to ask Sean how much he's holding back or whether he's now shown nearly everything because of having to promote the game.

I'd love to ask Sean how much he's holding back or whether he's now shown nearly everything because of having to promote the game.

These videos barely show anything at all. Then again, it is indie developed. I feel like they've held too much back personally. I am awaiting the day when I can watch what the game is on twitch, and maybe that's their plan all along to get thousands of social media views at launch.

Keep looking around and still haven't seen any info on TrackIR. Will decide my platform of it is supported or will be in the future.

Anyone have any answers?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
These videos barely show anything at all. Then again, it is indie developed. I feel like they've held too much back personally. I am awaiting the day when I can watch what the game is on twitch, and maybe that's their plan all along to get thousands of social media views at launch.'

I'd say it was and still is. People are breaking down the videos and pointing things out as if they're pointing out the kind of strange sightings you get in UFO or Big Foot vids. It's creating a mystery that intrigues some and frustrates others but it doesn't really matter; what matters is it's getting constant exposure and creating hundreds of dedicated channels and sites.

One question I've also wanted answering and has never been asked is 'how many different types of creatures can you find on ONE planet?'

theWB27

I'd say it was and still is. People are breaking down the videos and pointing things out as if they're pointing out the kind of strange sightings you get in UFO or Big Foot vids. It's creating a mystery that intrigues some and frustrates others but it doesn't really matter; what matters is it's getting constant exposure and creating hundreds of dedicated channels and sites.

One question I've also wanted answering and has never been asked is 'how many different types of creatures can you find on ONE planet?'

I kind of think knowing that number would cut down exploration. Checking off numbers every new species you find.

E92 M3

I believe from one of the tech videos I watched, one of the devs said 50-60 different species per planet is max. Very healthy number.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I kind of think knowing that number would cut down exploration. Checking off numbers every new species you find.

I wouldn't expect an accurate number, just a potential ballpark number. I just feel as if it would give us another reason to explore the planets more thoroughly. I know Sean has said the game is set up to keep us exploring the galaxy/universe but there will be lots of people who spend a great deal of time on one planet and it would make it more interesting for those people if they could occasionally come across a creature they've never seen before.

theWB27

I wouldn't expect an accurate number, just a potential ballpark number. I just feel as if it would give us another reason to explore the planets more thoroughly. I know Sean has said the game is set up to keep us exploring the galaxy/universe but there will be lots of people who spend a great deal of time on one planet and it would make it more interesting for those people if they could occasionally come across a creature they've never seen before.

That makes sense. I hope I do come across a planet I just don't want to leave.

Top Bottom