• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV gameplay @ PAX West

Dark_castle

Yeah that last line just wasn't needed at all lol.

But at least they apologized to those that were offended by that flippant post.

So was telling me to grow up. He doesn't know me. You don't know me. Criticize my post all you want, keep it about the post, don't talk shit about myself and personally insult me is where I'm drawing the line. It was a bad joke, I accept that, I apologise, so can we drop it?

Sorry for all the tangent. I won't bother replying to this specific chain of posts as it's going to lead to nowhere but more needless drivels.

stupei

Damn man, you guys are taking everything so goddamn seriously, when all I was trying to do is to make a lighthearted joke that meant no ill intent to anybody. On a sidenote, I do not really care about what Feminist Frequency thinks and says. So yeah. I do apologise if people are offended by my initial post.

And, I don't need YOU to tell me to grow up. Thank you very much. :)

If you don't care about a topic that is frequently posted about on GAF, then don't go into those threads and don't derail other threads with snarky remarks about something you supposedly don't care about. Your lack of interest is obvious, of course, because if you did bother to watch a Feminist Frequency video you might know that Anita discusses this very thing in a recent video where she elaborates on the fact that violence against women and female combatants who are choosing to engage in combat are not remotely the same thing. Any reasonable person could obviously work this out for themselves were they not working from an agenda where they assume someone they've decided to dislike often says entirely unreasonable and illogical things.

I guess I do take the things I say so goddamn seriously that I bother to actually know about things before I talk about them and try to discuss things relevant to the topic.

Do not shit on topics you don't care about, especially in threads completely unrelated to that topic. Try to have a dialogue and improve the level of discourse, not diminish it.

It's really simple.

Derail over, right everyone?

edit: I think the open world looks fine for consoles. I'm more worried about whether or not it will be densely or sparsely populated with interesting things to do and kill. (Key word being interesting. There were things I liked about Inquisition, but the overworld design choices were not among them.)

Dark_castle

The open world aspect is probably going to be fine if we play it like older jrpg, not going out of our way to explore and do every single sidequests and collect every loot in the vast overworld. Easier said than done I guess. Dropped Xenoblade and hated DA:I for how filler they designed the quests and looting in the huge field maps.

The open world aspect is probably going to be fine if we play it like older jrpg, not going out of our way to explore and do every single sidequests and collect every loot in the vast overworld. Easier said than done I guess. Dropped Xenoblade and hated DA:I for how filler they designed the quests and looting in the huge field maps.
Uh what? I love that part about jrpgs almost as much as the main story. Side-questing is like half the fun sometimes as the actual game. If this game somehow hits TW3 lvls of questing tho then I'll throw in the towel, thats just too much

JBwB

Uh what? I love that part about jrpgs almost as much as the main story. Side-questing is like half the fun sometimes as the actual game. If this game somehow hits TW3 lvls of questing tho then I'll throw in the towel, thats just too much

You mean not enough right? ;)

I loved the amount of content in W3 (finished every single quest). FFXV will apparently have heaps as well.

Koozek

So, a few days ago Falk asked about our Twitch chat room and if we'll switch to Discord. I just checked that out for the first time and made a server. I don't know what we could use it for, but maybe for the Neo and NX reveal? Or maybe for a possible midnight release livestream with the FFXV team? :>

The core FFXV-GAF gang (you know who you are) can PM so I can give them the permission to invite others too in case I don't have the time. Whoever wants to join just PM me and I'll give you a link to the Discord server.

I loved the amount of content in W3 (finished every single quest). FFXV will apparently have heaps as well.
To each his own ig. I just felt like I made no progress after doing so many. Wasn't rewarding enough pour moi

So, a few days ago Falk asked about our Twitch chat room and if we'll switch to Discord. I just checked that out for the first time and made a server. I don't know what we could use it for, but maybe for the Neo and NX reveal? Or maybe for a possible midnight release livestream with the FFXV team? :>

The core FFXV-GAF gang (you know who you are) can PM so I can give them the permission to invite others too in case I don't have the time. Whoever wants to join just PM me and I'll give you a link to the Discord server.
Party party party!! Aint no party like a ffxv-Gaf gang party woot woot.

The bolded is crucial

TheTux

How many quests are there in TW3? And how many of them were included in the expansion pack?

I won't mind repetetive side-quests if the combat is fun

It certainly wasn't for me in DA:I. And it was terribly bloated, they went way too far. Mainly my fault I guess for not being able to restrain myself from trying to do everything.

The RPG elements complicate open world design I think. It comes with an expectation that you can sink a hundred hours into the content alone as you level up and advance your weapons/gear as far as you can. Some studios find the balance, or almost do, like TW3 (not that it doesn't fall into many of the same traps as similar games), and some just shit out incredibly dull, almost copy-pasted content like DA:I did.

Even the likes of Assassins Creed and Mad Max do that, and in the former at least character progression isn't even anywhere near the main focus, so it really does just feel like padding in that case. Everyone loves a good collectible, but simply shoving 500 of them into the map is not the way to do it.

Think FFXV will live or die for me by the variety, detail, spread and rewards of exploring that kind of content, and whether the mechanics they ask you to engage with on said path are enjoyable. Must be absolutely nerve-wracking making a game like this for the first time and having to find the right balance. Especially when the main guys behind it haven't made similarly structured games before (afaik), and they've been entrusted with a mainline entry to such a huge franchise.

Koozek

I won't mind repetetive side-quests if the combat is fun

It certainly wasn't for me in DA:I. And it was terribly bloated, they went way too far. Mainly my fault I guess for not being able to restrain myself from trying to do everything.

The RPG elements complicate open world design I think. It comes with an expectation that you can sink a hundred hours into the content alone as you level up and advance your weapons/gear as far as you can. Some studios find the balance, or almost do, like TW3 (not that it doesn't fall into many of the same traps as similar games), and some just shit out incredibly dull, almost copy-pasted content like DA:I did.

Even the likes of Assassins Creed and Mad Max do that, and in the former at least character progression isn't even anywhere near the main focus, so it really does just feel like padding in that case. Everyone loves a good collectible, but simply shoving 500 of them into the map is not the way to do it.

Think FFXV will live or die for me by the variety, detail, spread and rewards of exploring that kind of content, and whether the mechanics they ask you to engage with on said path are enjoyable. Must be absolutely nerve-wracking making a game like this for the first time and having to find the right balance. Especially when the main guys behind it haven't made similarly structured games before (afaik), and they've been entrusted with a mainline entry to such a huge franchise.

Regarding that here's an excerpt from a highly interesting interview with Tabata:

4Gamer:
What were the reasons you were fixated on having an open world?

Tabata:
“I wonder why it isn't open world?” This is how modern RPG's are thought of by oversea fans. Particularly, FFXV is a game where you travel the world so its normal for people to think it should be an open world.

Formerly, there was an era when FF was at the front line of RPGs. Making FFXV an open world is an easy way to understand modernization. We also aimed to once again return to that front line with FFXV. If we didn't make such a change, it wouldn't be very convincing if we said, “we are competing with Skyrim.”

This is why the game will progress alongside the story but we used open world technology to interpret the world. That is one principle I wouldn't bend on.

Nozue:
To exchange opinions with everyone, we went on a small camp and discussed until we were all satisfied.

4Gamer:
When was this?

Tabata:
Right as we merged together with Luminous Studio a few months after announcing FFXV at the 2013 E3. At that point in time, the engineers wouldn't listen and insisted, “With Square Enix's current know-how, an open world is impossible.” That trend was especially strong with our foreign engineers.

4Gamer:
As a person who is rooting for Square Enix and the FF series, there is something sad about the words, “an open world is impossible.”

Tabata:
That is how low the world thinks our technological skills are. Especially because the first HD game in the Final Fantasy series just so happened to be a linear creation, people started to think, “These guys don't have the technology to make a AAA open world title.”

With all that in mind, we distributed the demo and finally got a warm breeze blowing, “What? You guys could make an open world?”

4Gamer:
Even so, “Even if we fail, its okay.” That's quite the resignation.

Tabata:
If I hadn't said that the team couldn't have confidence and come together. By saying that, we were able to dynamically manage a seamless world, prepare an environment and the team could relax with the thought, “Even if it sucks Tabata is responsible.” However, in the end everyone said they didn't like how empty the field was.

Nozue:
They are really doing their best aren't they. (laughs)

Tabata:
I told them, “I told you it's okay if it's empty.” But they reply, “But we don't like that!” (Laughs)

4Gamer:
So your saying, even though they could do it if they tried, they were apposed.

Tabata:
That's because, technologically making an open world in itself is a tremendous task. The current methods for map layout, and loading system are completely different. At first, even I felt, “So this is how you create an open world map.” That's the situation we were in and when we look at Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption, it's normal to think, “Yeah, we can't do that.”

4Gamer:
Those are certainty two amazing games...

Tabata:
Well, I understood how they felt. At any rate, we overcame that and technologically learned how to design the map. It's not completely an open world but we were able allow players the experience of a seamless world. When we arrived at that juncture, I was really happy.

4Gamer:
Tabata, did you actually believe that you could make FFXV an open world.?

Tabata:
Of course I did. Technologically our competitors are already doing it and it's not some mysterious skill.

However, faced with new technology, I had doubts of whether the development staff could maintain their best performance until the game was properly completed. From there I firmly created our team, set a goal, and continued to consciously update our progress with a firm stance. In short, I emphasized issues with the mind rather than technology.

4Gamer:
They were getting down on themselves?

Tabata:
First, people look at the things they can't do right? They would say, “If it's an open world quality will go down.” Or, “We won't have content for it.” Thats why I continued to say, “It's okay if quality drops,” and, “An empty world is okay.”

4Gamer:
But, actually you had the hope, “They can do it if they try.” Didn't you?

Tabata:
Yes, 50% of me hoped. My standpoint for the remaining 50% was, it's okay if it's an empty world. If we can complete it that's enough.

4Gamer:
Being able do think like that for a numbered FF title is shocking.

Tabata:
However, I think I made it clear to the whole team that the "technology" we use, and our level of "content completion" were separate. I wondered if there was a good example and after searching I found Shadow of the Colossus. After showing it, everyone seemed to understand. Of course, I'm not making fun of Shadow of the Colossus by any means. It's because I respect it that I'm using it as an example.

4Gamer:
It's a good example, which goes to show you can make many great games depending on how you make it, even if you don't stuff it full of content. Actually, Shadow of the Colossus had great reviews overseas as well.

Tabata:
You can get a sense of the world just by moving to a destination right? The staff validated the appeal of Shadow of the Colossus. Another example of a game you can experience the world is, The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. If you compare it to games these days, it isn't exactly brimming with content. Even so, you become entranced just running around on a horse in a seamless world.

4Gamer:
At this point in time, is the completed from of FFXV the same as what you thought it would be when you started?

Tabata:
We were able to realize all the parts I thought were a “must have.”​

Gbraga

Especially when the main guys behind it haven't made similarly structured games before (afaik), and they've been entrusted with a mainline entry to such a huge franchise.

As someone who isn't that into open world games, this is pretty much the main reason why I think it can end up being fantastic.

They're using the open world as a means to convey their narrative, it's a level structure, not the main factor that defines the entire game design.

It seems to be more similar to, as Koozek pointed out with that interview, Shadow of the Colossus, but it does seem to have a bunch of "activities", so not quite like that, but instead more similar to something like Mafia II.

Mafia II got a lot of complaints about "there's nothing to do", "it's open world but we can't do anything", but that's pretty much the reason why I enjoyed its take on open world so much. They just created this city, and it helps to tell a story. You move through it and see the different districts, how they interact with each other. The places you start to frequent, clothes you buy and etc all reflect your ascension. The fact that they didn't have to stuff the game with content also allowed them to have an unusual number of nicely designed indoors missions, and the game controls pretty well too. It doesn't have to allow you to do everything, so they can focus on making the things you can do a little better.

When they said "it's ok if it's empty. In order to convery the feeling of a roadtrip, we need them to cross a considerable amount of land, even if there's not a ton of content to see everywhere", that's when they got my attention in regards to the open world aspect. And you can see how much that matters when some people said how weird it was that getting to Lestallum was pretty quick, and that it should be a bit longer. Even though they went for size over content, it still felt too small.

I'll definitely take a smaller amount of dungeons as well designed as the one they showed at PAX over a ton of "go here, now go there" quests, that are so typical of open world design.

If by exploring the forest I can find a harder enemy to fight, or perhaps a cave, or some handplaced loot that can be useful to me, that is, in my opinion, a lot more rewarding than having many quests to do around the same area, going back and forth around the world. Even when they're as well realized as the ones in Wild Hunt.

I've been playing Witcher 3 a lot lately, and my favorite moments are still the ones where I'm walking through the woods and find something weird. Be it an enemy, some ruins or whatever. Anything out of the ordinary. I find it way more compelling than the full storylines I can be a part of.

JBwB

How many quests are there in TW3? And how many of them were included in the expansion pack?

Not sure on the amount but it was vast. Enough for me to spend over 120 hours just doing side quests. Keeping in mind the main story itself around 40-50 hours long (like FFXV's!).

The DLC's also had their own stories and side quests. It took me 60 hours to fully complete both DLC's.

FFXV will apparently have 100 hours of side content at least. Whether the quality of that content is good remains to be seen.
I personally don't think it will match W3 levels in quality (no game so far can) but I'm certain that I will still enjoy it nonetheless.

1027649-eminem-bleach-blonde-617-409.jpg

Fans are more than ready,
Sales weak, expectations are heavy
Vomit on the series already
(Motomu’s spaghetti)
Tabbie’s nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and steady
But if the game bombs he’ll have to answer on Reddit
When he pushed the air button the whole crowd cheered so loud
But now It’s 9/30 and the game just won’t come out
Choking on his Weissbier how
Everybody giffing him now
Turn the calendar back to late November, blaow!
Fantasy to reality,
Oh! there goes gravity
Oh there goes Tabbie, he’s yoked
Still to Versus but he won’t
Appease Kagari, nope
There’s no party, Prince Noctis elopes
With Lunafreya, no hope
For Luminous cause it’s broke,
And Roen’s stagnant he knows
There’s no depth to the mobile game,
Regis redesigned again, yo
Now no Yakuza
Better capture the market
And hope it don’t pass him

Got to keep the light of my soul from escaping
Through all the new plot holes that are gaping
Gooch’s ring for the taking, make me king
As we move toward an open world order,
Linear games are boring,
Fans still conducting Lightning’s post-mortem
HD towns only grow harder
Sub-30 FPS a non-starter,
These message board bros is all on him, coast to coast shows
He’s known as the globetrotter
Lonely road god only knows he’s grown farther
From home he’s no father
He goes home and barely knows his own daughter
But hold your nose cause here goes the cold water
If these bros don’t like the IQ on his product
They’ll switch to Persona, or one of those
other series whose reputation continually grows
We’ve all grown old with fifteen since it started,
But development goes on, buh da bum, ba da ba da

No more handheld games, I’m a change what
You call JRPGs
Do something semi-open world
Like CDPR’s Witcher 3
When you’re playing in the beginning
You’ll see that Noctis has changed
He been stached up and beefed up
And we fixed his bangs
Release timing is tight, got bumped from September,
Facing heavy competition when we drop in November
Nomura’s burning pain has now cooled to embers
Passed the burden on to Tabbie who fondly remembers
Response at E3 2013, cause man these god damn
ATRs don’t appease Gaf members
And this is no Kingslgaive, there’s no Lena Heady
To sacrifice for my life and directing’s so hard,
And it keeps getting harder
Trying to feed and water old fans, plus teeter-totter
Between pulling in all their sons and daughters,
Stella drama fans are dreamin on her,
Too much for me to wanna
Visit IGN or Gamespot
Another day of gamefaqs trolling me
Has gotten to the point I’m like a tonberry I’ve got
To get this game to market or take Ito’s spot
In the closet, 10 million sales is my only option, fewer’s not,
Don’t know how to cut it but this next trailers got
To take fans from “preorder canceled” to “straight-up bought,”
So here I go it’s my shot
Metacritic fail me not
This may be the only opportunity that I got

*Edited for better scanning

Gbraga

Not sure on the amount but it was vast. Enough for me to spend over 120 hours just doing side quests. Keeping in mind the main story itself around 40-50 hours long (like FFXV's!).

The DLC's also had their own stories and side quests. It took me 60 hours to fully complete both DLC's.

FFXV will apparently have 100 hours of side content at least. Whether the quality of that content is good remains to be seen.
I personally don't think it will match W3 levels in quality (no game so far can) but I'm certain that I will still enjoy it nonetheless.

I have 103 hours with the game according to Steam. I don't know what Skellige looks like.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, technically they're all introduced at the start of the panel, heh.

Did you mean the person translating? Raio Mitsuno

wmlk

Palms are sweaty,
Knees weak, arms are heavy
Vomited on Gavin’s sweater already
Motomu’s spaghetti
When he pushed the air button the Uncovered crowd cheered so loud
But now It’s September 30 and the game just won’t come out
Gotta turn this fantasy into a reality
Oh! there goes gravity
Appease Kagari, nope
There’s no party scene, Prince Noctis elopes
With Lady Luna, no hope
King Regis redesigned again,
Yo now there’s no Yakuza
Better capture the 25-40 market segment

Linear games are boring,
According to fans still conducting Lightning’s post-mortem
Sub-30 FPS? That’s a non-starter,
From home he’s no father
They’ll move on to Hiroyuki Ito, who still knows
How to make game systems that flow
We’ve all grown old with the game since it started,

You call jrpgs
Like CDPR’s Witcher 3
And we fixed his bangs
Facing heavy competition in late November
Passed the burden on to Tabbie who now fondly remembers
Response at E3 2013, cause now these god damn
To sacrifice for my life
And directing’s so hard, and it keeps getting harder
Between pulling in their sons and their daughters,
Message board complaining has got
Too much for me to stay in one spot
Another day of Duckroll trolling me
Metacritic fail me not

Motomu's spaghetti

Koozek

Palms are sweaty,
Motomu’s spaghetti
Oh! there goes gravity
Appease Kagari, nope
With Lady Luna, no hope
Yo now there’s no Yakuza

Linear games are boring,
From home he’s no father

You call jrpgs
Like CDPR’s Witcher 3
And we fixed his bangs
To sacrifice for my life
Metacritic fail me not

W
O
W

tumblr_ne2xgj19sh1rnhnqfo1_500.gif

sappyday

As someone who isn't that into open world games, this is pretty much the main reason why I think it can end up being fantastic.

They're using the open world as a means to convey their narrative, it's a level structure, not the main factor that defines the entire game design.

It seems to be more similar to, as Koozek pointed out with that interview, Shadow of the Colossus, but it does seem to have a bunch of "activities", so not quite like that, but instead more similar to something like Mafia II.

Mafia II got a lot of complaints about "there's nothing to do", "it's open world but we can't do anything", but that's pretty much the reason why I enjoyed its take on open world so much. They just created this city, and it helps to tell a story. You move through it and see the different districts, how they interact with each other. The places you start to frequent, clothes you buy and etc all reflect your ascension. The fact that they didn't have to stuff the game with content also allowed them to have an unusual number of nicely designed indoors missions, and the game controls pretty well too. It doesn't have to allow you to do everything, so they can focus on making the things you can do a little better.

When they said "it's ok if it's empty. In order to convery the feeling of a roadtrip, we need them to cross a considerable amount of land, even if there's not a ton of content to see everywhere", that's when they got my attention in regards to the open world aspect. And you can see how much that matters when some people said how weird it was that getting to Lestallum was pretty quick, and that it should be a bit longer. Even though they went for size over content, it still felt too small.

I'll definitely take a smaller amount of dungeons as well designed as the one they showed at PAX over a ton of "go here, now go there" quests, that are so typical of open world design.

If by exploring the forest I can find a harder enemy to fight, or perhaps a cave, or some handplaced loot that can be useful to me, that is, in my opinion, a lot more rewarding than having many quests to do around the same area, going back and forth around the world. Even when they're as well realized as the ones in Wild Hunt.

I've been playing Witcher 3 a lot lately, and my favorite moments are still the ones where I'm walking through the woods and find something weird. Be it an enemy, some ruins or whatever. Anything out of the ordinary. I find it way more compelling than the full storylines I can be a part of.

This is how I feel. It's one of the reasons I loved LA Noire's open world. That game didn't force you to explore it and there's was no reason to really do it, but I loved the look of it that I would just walk around and explore every little detail. It's how I felt with Episode Duscae. I just loved walking around (especially with those animations) and enjoying the scenery.

Koozek

I expect the answer is 'not yet' but are there any decent podcasts about FFXV?

Kagari's Looking Forward To It (NovaCrystallis.com) podcast:

Ep. 14:
https://soundcloud.com/nova-crystal...-looking-forward-to-it-episode-14-aug-14-2016

Ep. 15:
https://soundcloud.com/nova-crystal...-looking-forward-to-it-episode-15-aug-22-2016

Airship: GameSpot's Final Fantasy podcast:

Episode 12: Kingsglaive and Final Fantasy XV:
http://airshipgamespot.libsyn.com/podcast/episode-12-kingsglaive-and-final-fantasy-xv

Koozek

I spent way too long on this. I'll just note if you try and match it to Lose Yourself karaoke style, rhythm and meter are about 90%, which I'm particularly proud of =P

I actually tried to do that and it really is :D Amazing.

This is your life's work.

I actually tried to do that and it really is :D Amazing.

This is your life's work.

Ha ha, now I feel old and sad :/

He clearly spent most of his time with those 5 lines. They're too good.

Whole third stanza actually - beginning and end are tighter, but the middle where I switched the rhyme from -iper/-ypher to -ember was the hardest, although the meter is still a little off...

chefbags

Palms are sweaty,
Motomu’s spaghetti
Oh! there goes gravity
Appease Kagari, nope
With Lady Luna, no hope
Yo now there’s no Yakuza

Linear games are boring,
From home he’s no father

You call jrpgs
Like CDPR’s Witcher 3
And we fixed his bangs
To sacrifice for my life
Metacritic fail me not

What a work of art. A masterpiece even.

Only a game like this can produce such a moment for all of us.

Nerokis

Palms are sweaty,
Motomu’s spaghetti
Oh! there goes gravity
Appease Kagari, nope
With Lady Luna, no hope
Yo now there’s no Yakuza

Linear games are boring,
From home he’s no father

You call jrpgs
Like CDPR’s Witcher 3
And we fixed his bangs
To sacrifice for my life
Metacritic fail me not

What an incredible contribution to FFXV fandom. Did you shed any tears while writing this? Because I shed one or two while reading it. :p

Next time I do karaoke, I'm singing this version of the song. Too good a thing not to go full nerd over.

What an incredible contribution to FFXV fandom. Did you shed any tears while writing this? Because I shed one or two while reading it. :p

Next time I do karaoke, I'm singing this version of the song. Too good a thing not to go full nerd over.

No tears, but I shed manly drops of perspiration!

AzureFlame

Palms are sweaty,
Motomu’s spaghetti
Oh! there goes gravity
Appease Kagari, nope
With Lady Luna, no hope
Yo now there’s no Yakuza

Linear games are boring,
From home he’s no father

You call jrpgs
Like CDPR’s Witcher 3
And we fixed his bangs
To sacrifice for my life
Metacritic fail me not

Oh my god! XD

Gbraga

This is how I feel. It's one of the reasons I loved LA Noire's open world. That game didn't force you to explore it and there's was no reason to really do it, but I loved the look of it that I would just walk around and explore every little detail. It's how I felt with Episode Duscae. I just loved walking around (especially with those animations) and enjoying the scenery.

Absolutely. Just the idea of finding things to fight as impressive as the Catoplebas or the Adamantoise already do far more to justify that map's size and scale than any number of "help this guy" quests could ever do.

I don't need a point of interest everywhere I go, I just want the ones that are there to be actually interesting.

Absolutely. Just the idea of finding things to fight as impressive as the Catoplebas or the Adamantoise already do far more to justify that map's size and scale than any number of "help this guy" quests could ever do.

I don't need a point of interest everywhere I go, I just want the ones that are there to be actually interesting.

Agreed - sometimes in designing open worlds less is clearly more.

Mediking

Palms are sweaty,
Motomu’s spaghetti
Oh! there goes gravity
Appease Kagari, nope
With Lady Luna, no hope
Yo now there’s no Yakuza

Linear games are boring,
From home he’s no father

You call jrpgs
Like CDPR’s Witcher 3
And we fixed his bangs
To sacrifice for my life
Metacritic fail me not

You deserve a tag for this, Koozek (ffxv info extravaganza) deserves a tag and Benzy (Expert gif master) deserves a tag also.

Top Bottom