• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermii

I seriously doubt it will have backward compatibly. Everything seems to point to it having a different architecture, and I doubt Nintendo will increase the price of the NX just so that they can put chips in it to enable bc.

They are both ARM chips and the NX is massively more powerful. I guess it could be hard to emulate the fixed function shaders of the 3ds with programmable shaders, but if they can solve that 3ds bc should be doable.

Nintendo will deliver. They'll deliver big and rescue this industry from the darkness it's currently heading towards. They have to. I have to believe they will.
What darkness? There's tons of game variety between both indie and AAA games, there's more of an effort to preserve and even improve on classics now more than ever before, and online gaming opens multi-player up in ways never possible before. The only problem with this gen is the lack of local multi-player games, I'd say

What darkness? There's tons of game variety between both indie and AAA games, there's more of an effort to preserve and even improve on classics now more than ever before, and online gaming opens multi-player up in ways never possible before. The only problem with this gen is the lack of local multi-player games, I'd say

Personally, the industry is in a weird spot right now with mid generation upgrades. A brand new system from Nintendo could shake things up a bit at least. Xbox is making a weird turn too with the same "family of systems philosophy" with both S, Scorpio and Windows 10

The problem I see with it having IR to interface to the main device is if the controllers are going to have Bluetooth anyway to connect to the main unit when detached, used in a Wii Remote like fashion isn't the IR redundant? More chips and tech to include in each controller part, also making the main unit more complex with IR of its own?

All for the sake of saving some battery life over Bluetooth? Little pogo pins similar to the iPad Pro would make far more sense in that case, and far cheaper. Could even charge up the controllers when attached to the main unit!

Or we are going to see 3 mini USB cables connected to this thing to charge it and the controller parts?

If the IR doubles as something else too then that's understandable and makes sense to me.

At first glance it looks like a dichotomy doesn't it? But first, i would think is about a combination of several factors:
  • One strong reason to go with IR interface, in this specific case both for button recognition and input transfer, is to reduce product failure. Not talking about strictly the risks of "having exposed parts" since like you said with the pogo pin example, there are ways and alternatives to have physical connections that are safe and protected even with the controllers detached (female plugs on the halves, covered or retractable males heads, etc). It's more about the wear and tear of the interface connector in the NX main body and what would happen to it by constantly attaching and detaching the controller halves.

The IR (or similar optoelectronic solution) helps to reduce the wear of that specific part of the device and maintains more reliabilty over time. The how the controllers are fixed into position is less critical and can be done in a variety of ways: physical pins, magnets or a combination.
  • The other thing is a combination of battery life and cost of manufacturing. Bluetooth devices have become more energy efficient. However, not only IR has lower battery drain but Nintendo can get away with installing a very low mha battery in comparison to what would be needed if the device was Blutooth only. When the controllers are attached transfering via IR saves a lot of battery life, when detached for remote play the Blutooth is enabled.

Maybe the battery drain would be reduced enough to the point NIntendo could include standard AA or AAA and have the users provide their recharable ones. Or realisticaly very small 350 - 400 mha recharable ones. Either way it saves a lot of costs.
  • Reduced cost of manufacturing of the detachable controllers. This have been explained enough even in this thread.
About the dichotomy or the redundancy of having 2 communication interfaces for the controllers.

Tought about it in the past, there are multiple ways they could aproach this. It gets complicated when one considers where to put the IRS:
  • 1. IRS inside the NX main body. This would be the simple solution, attach cheap "dummy controllers" to it. Downside, no playing with these halves when detached as rumors suggest.

Another advantage of this implementation is that they could use the IRS for hand and finger recognition when halves are detached.
  • 2. IRS in the detachable parts. Let's assume each detachable part is a Reverse Wii Remote in which the IR sensor points inward to measure button input. Even with the inclusion of Blutooth and IMS, the device becomes cheaper to produce than one with a more standard PCB.

i have mentioned this in the past. What if, instead of manufacturing entire halves that double as speciality controllers. Nintendo provides smaller button layouts that attach to the included detachable controllers? At the least this extra customizable button layouts would be smaller and easy to include with a packaged product. As well as store and carry around.
  • 3. IRS provided in separated coupling modules for the detachables.. Mentioned several times already. Downsides: extra costs, extra parts and more complexity.
Option 2 seems the more practical one if Nintendo doesn't uses IRS to do biometrics.

lo zaffo

please get rid of TV-out port, it is just a cost and nobody want it (GameCube's DVI port anyone?).
NX is an Hybrid in the sense it can play Nintento iOS/(Android being a second choice) mobile games and Nintendo handheld games, and those are two different buckets, if Nintendo can take full advantage of each very uniqueness.

AAMARMO

Banned
At least nintendo putting stuff on steam now http://store.steampowered.com/app/517030/.
CsqGU4SWcAE0gEA.jpg

Malus

I wouldn't be surprised to see a smaller truly handheld NX device in the future to replace 3DS once they can shrink the chipset down and reduce thermal constraints enough. Perhaps also a cheaper console only version at some point too for more budget conscious westerners who don't care about portability. Starting with the hybrid model allows them to test a lot of waters with just one SKU.

Yeah, a pocket sized version sounds likely to me.

Jubenhimer

People bought into the "Wii is not a real hardcore console" narrative pretty hard.
I think this is the problem with this industry. We've been conditioned to force games and platforms into one of two artificial extremes, with very little middle ground. I'm hoping Nintendo can one day blur the lines between "casual" and "core" gaming instead of perpetuating stereotypes.

Personally, the industry is in a weird spot right now with mid generation upgrades. A brand new system from Nintendo could shake things up a bit at least. Xbox is making a weird turn too with the same "family of systems philosophy" with both S, Scorpio and Windows 10
What's wrong with that though ultimately? It allows them to continue making games on the existing hardware and also not be restricted by that hardware if they find ways to make the games better on the more powerful alternative. The Xbox family system is great too, you can play Xbox games on Windows now. Really like, what's wrong with this?

MuchoMalo

Banned
Isn't it a touch premature to make that claim?

Maybe the second part in a way, but not the first. It should only be a PS4 -> PS4 Pro kind of jump at best though

please get rid of TV-out port, it is just a cost and nobody want it (GameCube's DVI port anyone?).
NX is an Hybrid in the sense it can play Nintento iOS/(Android being a second choice) mobile games and Nintendo handheld games, and those are two different buckets, if Nintendo can take full advantage of each very uniqueness.

No, go away.

orioto

Good Art™
The mess that is this discussion ... I'm more and more concerned with the NX...

They could go simple this time, really, and have a product that would maybe not replace smartphones nor PS4/XBO.. but that could have a really big market of its own, way bigger than WiiU and 3ds combined, by just being a simple device, for gamers, a perfect portable and a home console with super strong portable line up.. It's enough, really.. Then just do your thing with multy million ips, new ips that create phenomenon like Splatoon.. really Nintendo, trust your software..

All i hear in that thread means constraints and weaker ergonomic for the sake of a messy concept that they could have a hard time to sell to the masses..

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What's wrong with that though ultimately? It allows them to continue making games on the existing hardware and also not be restricted by that hardware if they find ways to make the games better on the more powerful alternative. The Xbox family system is great too, you can play Xbox games on Windows now. Really like, what's wrong with this?

You see this, I see developers beyond the launch period looking at the extra HW, looking at where the user base really is, optimising for that and giving token upgrades to more powerful HW. It is the mobile concept of buy now, get real use out of it in a few years concept attempted to be brought on consoles too.

gafneo

Banned
I hope it is

DQ7 on a TV would be sweet

It wouldn't be difficult to play on the system since Smash Bros U let you use a 3DS as a controller. I seen a 2DS for like $60 at one point. This is the same price as a normal controller. Even if the NX has a radically different control setup, a 2DS could be like their answer to a classic controller.

Question. Would it use more resources to have a game render in 1080p and down-sample on the 720p screen, or have it only be 720p (even on the TV) and use anti-aliasing?

If 1080p with no AA uses less resources, then maybe that's a good thing for devs to target when making games. yeah you could get more out of the hardware with 720p and no AA, but that won't be so good on the TV will it?

Whats taking them so long

First it was early september, then mid september, now october. Whats next, november

NX= November the 10th reveal

Snakeyes

I think this is the problem with this industry. We've been conditioned to force games and platforms into one of two artificial extremes, with very little middle ground. I'm hoping Nintendo can one day blur the lines between "casual" and "core" gaming instead of perpetuating stereotypes.

It'll be hard to make that happen when the competition's main marketing message and selling points are "We are more hardcore and powerful than you!"

MacTag

Banned
They are both ARM chips and the NX is massively more powerful. I guess it could be hard to emulate the fixed function shaders of the 3ds with programmable shaders, but if they can solve that 3ds bc should be doable.
Nintendo only does hardware based backwards compatibility. If they ever delve into emulation it'd probably be for Virtual Console so things could be tuned per title rather universal.

MacTag

Banned
I'm sure it is. Pokemon 3DS games are launching on it. The point of it is to playback past games on old hardware so that it's easier for porting and developing on.
Pokémon Star will just be an NX game then, with your old Poémon brought in through the Bank App. Problem solved.

Servbot24

Banned
Whats taking them so long

First it was early september, then mid september, now october. Whats next, november

NX= November the 10th reveal

I heard the next date is tomorrow!

If you quote me on that enough times, other people will start to believe it, and then Nintendo is beholden to it. Go go go!

Genio88

Any new significant rumors or posts in the last day or so?

Nothing, also it's not likely to hear news during the week end, tomorrow the wait for anything will start again, with plenty of attention on Tuesday, hopefully we could get finally some info about a reveal date, which at this point will be in October at best

Retrobox

I heard the next date is tomorrow!

If you quote me on that enough times, other people will start to believe it, and then Nintendo is beholden to it. Go go go!

No seriously though, how high are the chances of an announcement tomorrow? They gotta spill the beans ANY day now!

gafneo

Banned
What if by reboot, Nintendo is branching off into TVs? They say, hey Samsung, Sharp, RCA, LG, we can build NX in your TV. We can do both vertical, and horizontal for you. No one wants your 4K or cheap Smart TV lag. We have a something like The IMac, but is now cheap to be all in one.

Samsung-Series-7-display-SC770-vertical.jpg

MacTag

Banned
What if by reboot, Nintendo is branching off into TVs? They say, hey Samsung, Sharp, RCA, LG, we can build NX in your TV. We can do both vertical, and horizontal for you. No one wants your 4K or cheap Smart TV lag. We have a something like The IMac, but is now cheap to be all in one.

Samsung-Series-7-display-SC770-vertical.jpg
Sharp already did this in the 1980s and 1990s with NES and SNES.

Genio88

I think DS is a better example tbh. Truly a system with something for everybody.

Yes, original DS was awesome, still i think NX really has the potential to reach it, not talking sales wise but for variety and quality of games, since being both next home and handheld Nintendo console they'll be all in into it, its line up could really be historical, of course it'll also have to sell well

The mess that is this discussion ... I'm more and more concerned with the NX...

They could go simple this time, really, and have a product that would maybe not replace smartphones nor PS4/XBO.. but that could have a really big market of its own, way bigger than WiiU and 3ds combined, by just being a simple device, for gamers, a perfect portable and a home console with super strong portable line up.. It's enough, really.. Then just do your thing with multy million ips, new ips that create phenomenon like Splatoon.. really Nintendo, trust your software..

All i hear in that thread means constraints and weaker ergonomic for the sake of a messy concept that they could have a hard time to sell to the masses..
What are you talking about here? Two separate devices or one? Also, the removable controller concept is not that hard to grasp; you pop them off when it's docked.

Any new significant rumors or posts in the last day or so?

Current rumor going around is that Nintendo will announce the reveal date on Sept 20th, said reveal date to be two weeks later on Oct 4th.

The Sept 20th date comes from Nico Wav I think was discussed before, but also some indie dev claims the same, forget the name (one I think no-one has honestly heard of before most likely).

Plus the Oct 4th unveiling ties with Emily's October tease from before.

We'll see I guess.

xealo

720p on the handheld screen would be very nice if its a hybrid, it's a significant step up from the 3ds at any rate.

orioto

Good Art™
What are you talking about here? Two separate devices or one? Also, the removable controller concept is not that hard to grasp; you pop them off when it's docked.

At that point the simpler they could do to not make anyone angry, is to have a great portable, and the option to play it with a classic controller when plugged on a tv.

Having that whole detachable controller thing WILL come with concessions, less good ergonomics etc.. You don't design a thing that can do everything in every situation without severe concessions here and there... A detachable, then transformable IR pad thingy, beyond being an unmarketable 90's mess, won't give you the ergonomics WiiU owners or non portable players would like.. So what do you have in the end ?

We know nothing anyway. I'm just worried cause Nintendo has been guilty of one main thing that caused them to know several failures, and it's pretty simple: Wanting to do all the things at the same time.

Aim at a defined target and design the perfect product for them. If you want the perfect device that please the monster hunter fan and the soccer mom, you're gonna fail.

NeonZ

And not being able to technologically meet the PS4 means a reduced number of 3rd-parties will be involved, as 3rd-parties have slowly been reducing their handheld game output since the DS days.
A PS4 late into a generation where both PS4 and X-Box are already established would never get any support. Why would anyone jump from a PS4 to a Nintendo version? They'd need to push a generation leap in order to have a chance and that isn't feasible in the near future.

And lastly, it not that it "could" be defined as a handheld, it WILL be defined as a handheld. By 3rd-parties who already don't release games for handhelds or only provide stripped-down experiences, by the media, by the average consumer. TV-Out will not change that, everything else is marketing.

It's not just the tv out - the detachable controllers are the big thing here, since it allows games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros to keep their multiplayer centric focus without expecting owners to have 4 consoles. Aside from power issues, the NX should be able to handle console centered game design without problems, unlike a standard portable with a tv out.

Lutherian

And not being able to technologically meet the PS4 means a reduced number of 3rd-parties will be involved, as 3rd-parties have slowly been reducing their handheld game output since the DS days. That is what has me walking away from Nintendo if this "handheld-plus" is all they have to offer, because I'm not willing to accept that anymore. Hardly an arbitrary concern.

Fine, have fun !
See ya in March !

Malus

At that point the simpler they could do to not make anyone angry, is to have a great portable, and the option to play it with a classic controller when plugged on a tv.

Having that whole detachable controller thing WILL come with concessions, less good ergonomics etc.. You don't design a thing that can do everything in every situation without severe concessions here and there... A detachable, then transformable IR pad thingy, beyond being an unmarketable 90's mess, won't give you the ergonomics WiiU owners or non portable players would like.. So what do you have in the end ?

We know nothing anyway. I'm just worried cause Nintendo has been guilty of one main thing that caused them to know several failures, and it's pretty simple: Wanting to do all the things at the same time.

Aim at a defined target and design the perfect product for them. If you want the perfect device that please the monster hunter fan and the soccer mom, you're gonna fail.

I really don't think ergonomics is a big deal tbh, at least if the success of their previous handhelds is anything to go by. I haven't found any of them to be comfortable.

The thing I am a bit worried about is the NX being tablet sized but that doesn't really have anything to do with the detachable controllers.

orioto

Good Art™
I really don't think ergonomics is a big deal tbh, at least if the success of their previous handhelds is anything to go by. I haven't found any of them to be comfortable.

The thing I am a bit worried about this thing being tablet sized but that doesn't really have anything to do with the detachable controllers.

Except now they don't have a home console to go along it. So yeah, ergonomics will be a pretty big deal.. Cause you gonna play next 3d zelda, next mario kart, smash bros etc.. with it.

Malus

Except now they don't have a home console to go along it. So yeah, ergonomics will be a pretty big deal.. Cause you gonna play next 3d zelda, next mario kart, smash bros etc.. with it.

Why? The existence of a home console won't make the handheld games any easier to control. It's not gonna make a difference to the handheld audience who Nintendo appears to be mainly targeting with this product. And Mario Kart controls juuust fine on a cramped handheld in my experience :p

The sticklers for ergonomics are probably hardcore gamers who'd have no problem buying a pro controller anyways, or maybe optional analogue stick attachments like has been brought up here.

Current rumor going around is that Nintendo will announce the reveal date on Sept 20th, said reveal date to be two weeks later on Oct 4th.

The Sept 20th date comes from Nico Wav I think was discussed before, but also some indie dev claims the same, forget the name (one I think no-one has honestly heard of before most likely).

Plus the Oct 4th unveiling ties with Emily's October tease from before.

We'll see I guess.

Nico said the reveal would be around the 20th. A full reveal for NX this week doesn't seem likely unless he meant the announcement for the reveal.

I would think these insiders would know when the actual reveal for NX is and not really know when Nintendo themselves will announce the reveal date for NX.

gafneo

Banned
Fine, have fun !
See ya in March !

You never know. Nintendo could change their specs to rival the Scorpio. The president of Xbox said they were not going to release a system unless it was a drastic improvement over the One. Now months later they announce a mid tier console. Nintendo could say, lets match power. We can build a console for NOV, release the slim NX in March.

Lutherian

You never know. Nintendo could change their specs to rival the Scorpio. The president of Xbox said they were not going to release a system unless it was a drastic improvement over the One. Now months later they announce a mid tier console. Nintendo could say, lets match power. We can build a console for NOV, release the slim NX in March.

Yes, because you want a handheld that last 3 minutes in your hands and that costs 999 $, just like the latest iPad you already bought just to play Infinity Blade and Candy Crush Saga.

Be realistic for one second : Nintendo won't make another console that costs more than the Wii U, witch is still asking too much regarding of the PS4 and X1 !

Turrican3

I think DS is a better example tbh. Truly a system with something for everybody.
That wasn't my point, but I'll easily concede that since I didn't explain it... like, at all!

What I meant was that Nintendo with the Wii successfully made a lot of its franchises more casual-friendly, yet keeping the core appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom