• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Diversity Program Members “Shocked And Dismayed” By Founder’s Alt-Right Ties

The striggle against bigotry isn't that easy. As someone very personally impacted by the anti-gay sentiment in this country I credit much of the progress in recent years to being able to point to outspoken hostility to make a case in Federal court and the court of public opinion. Some day my wife and I will feel comfortable walking down the street in a random American city holding hands because many people will have built up empathy and understanding while watching that struggle.

I am a gay man born in Arkansas and currently residing in Texas. I understand and am impacted by the same anti-gay sentiment. I credit the same progress to increased visibility, lobbying and political participation.

I'm sorry you and your wife don't feel comfortable. I can't help but think that a world with less outspoken bigotry that you would feel more comfortable. While a world with more outspoken bigotry would only reinforce that feeling of not being comfortable.

Don't wait too long for America's empathy. As a black man I can tell you that's a really long wait.

Lady Gaia

I'm sorry you and your wife don't feel comfortable. I can't help but think that a world with less outspoken bigotry that you would feel more comfortable.

We're fine in our home town, certainly, it's just being somewhere we don't know well that's still unsettling (more so for my wife who grew up around even more overt anti-gay sentiment than I did.) I don't expect we'll ever have a problem with someone who is openly hostile. They're easier to avoid in many ways.

It's the covert negativity in the workplace, or from law enforcement, or anyone else in a position to make our lives miserable that I find much more threatening. Of course everyone's situation is different and I feel for you. Texas and Arkansas are a whole different world than where we spend our time. I can definitely understand your desire to have the level of overt hostility dialed back if you feel it regularly. Stay safe.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
No Palmer at the keynote.

It also seemed extremely cynical with that section where they are putting millions into diversity programs while still keeping that guy employed.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm glad Palmer was not on stage at Oculus Connect but I'm disappointed that the industry seems to have forgotten about this already. We're better than this.

"No Palmer at the keynote.

It also seemed extremely cynical with that section where they are putting millions into diversity programs while still keeping that guy employed."

Pretty much my thoughts.

"We're cool now, right?! *dap*"

We here at Oculus are truly the most diverse. We support all views including oppressive bigotry. You will not find a more diverse organization, we assure you.

10 million is pocket change for facebook. Keeping Luckey on board and standing by him is far more telling.

Will wait for the vive version of all of the stuff they announced today.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Pretty damn disappointed on how this all is going down or fading into nonexistence as Oculus hoped for.

MarionCB

I'm very dismayed at how easily they seem to have brushed this all away. Apparently, funding racist hate groups is no big deal at this point in time; not after a cycle through the corporate whitewash. Well, Oculus had their chance and so did Facebook: I'm not touching either of them.

I'm glad Palmer was not on stage at Oculus Connect but I'm disappointed that the industry seems to have forgotten about this already. We're better than this.

I'm with you on this one, I was surprised to see how quickly some people (namely the media) moved away from this. I expected at least little jabs here and there but I've seen nothing...

10 million to diversity is an okay present, 10 million and speaking with your actions by bopping Luckey out is the real answer.

We should spam all of their social media until they axe that guy. he should fall!

I agree that what Palmer did really sucks, but I am always conflicted about statements like this. Should he just be axed from Oculus, or should he never be hired by anyone again ever because of this? Where does it end?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I agree that what Palmer did really sucks, but I am always conflicted about statements like this. Should he just be axed from Oculus, or should he never be hired by anyone again ever because of this? Where does it end?

He apologized for hurting the brand but not for his actions. His only remorse is that he spoke up, not that his actions hurt people.

When he sincerely apologizes and is earnestly willing to work on himself, then it's fair to give him a chance. For now, having a public white supremacist at any company is a bad idea.

He apologized for hurting the brand but now for his actions. His only remorse is that he spoke up, not that his actions hurt people.

When he sincerely apologizes and is earnestly willing to work on himself, then it's fair to give him a chance. For now, having a public white supremacist at any company is a bad idea.

True, it was a shit apology.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Uhhh. Do I even want to know?
100416protrumpart.jpg

http://gothamist.com/2016/10/04/pro-trump_art_show_shocker.php

hawk2025

The $10 million hush money is just as offensive in light of how they dealt with everything else.

They will not have my money.

I just dont get why he is still there, i mean they are willing to spend 10m on diversity to prove how nice and caring they are yet the easiest way to show this would be to just get rid of Palmer and make a firm statement of 'We do not condone the funding and active participation of discriminatory based political activities.' and they would do a much better job of showing how diverse they were.

I mean the only answer i can see is that either Palmer has some iron clad contract that prevents them, they simply dont give a shit or worse of all the people in charge agree with him.

Either way Oculus really have managed to tank any good will they would have had with a lot of people considering they refuse to get rid of that piece of shit Palmer for his actions.

nynt9

Maybe Palmer holds too much power or owns some key IP or patents that would tank Oculus if he left? I know nothing about the corporate structure of Oculus and how they're positioned within facebook but maybe there is no company without him, legally speaking? It would be difficult to get rid of him at that point and they would have to think very thoroughly about whether they want to throw this investment down the drain.

Or maybe they're just greedy and don't care enough. I don't know. I'm just speculating.

Maybe Palmer holds too much power or owns some key IP or patents that would tank Oculus if he left? I know nothing about the corporate structure of Oculus and how they're positioned within facebook but maybe there is no company without him, legally speaking? It would be difficult to get rid of him at that point and they would have to think very thoroughly about whether they want to throw this investment down the drain.

Or maybe they're just greedy and don't care enough. I don't know. I'm just speculating.
If he still owns anything that would prevent FB from getting rid of him then that $2Bn was a complete waste of money from their perspective.

I honestly think it has to be that either his contract/local law prevents them from firing him or that someone in charge agrees with him. If it was a legal/contract issue they would just 'ask' him to step down since they would be clear of any wrong doing that way. Unless they tried that and he flat out said 'fuck you, i can fund whatever racist group i want and there isnt anything you can do to get rid of me' since he has nothing to lose. In that case they would just have to hide him from now on until his current contract runs out and they just not renew it.

Either way Oculus come out the losers from this.

nynt9

If he still owns anything that would prevent FB from getting rid of him then that $2Bn was a complete waste of money from their perspective.

I honestly think it has to be that either his contract/local law prevents them from firing him or that someone in charge agrees with him. If it was a legal/contract issue they would just 'ask' him to step down since they would be clear of any wrong doing that way. Unless they tried that and he flat out said 'fuck you, i can fund whatever racist group i want and there isnt anything you can do to get rid of me' since he has nothing to lose. In that case they would just have to hide him from now on until his current contract runs out and they just not renew it.

Either way Oculus come out the losers from this.

Yeah this is exactly the scenario I've been fearing.

RealMeat

Banned
Someone pointed out in another thread that Oculus is getting sued by Bethesda over Carmack leaving, and the lawsuit alleges Palmer didn't invent the Rift on his own. Facebook probably doesn't want Palmer pissed off and in the wild while that's going on.

hawk2025

Local laws?

California is an at-will employment state. This is about the contract, or simply thinking they can ride this out.

Either way, I'm not giving them points for thinking about their bottom line.

Will bigotry go away in a future vr world?

What's funny is that Ready Player One addresses this...

The book takes place largely in virtual reality
and the main character, Parzival, has an in-VR best friend, Aech, who is also a white male and into a lot of the same pop culture stuff that the main character likes. The story takes them to a point where they need to meet up in real life and he finds out that Aech is actually a black woman in real life. She hid her race and gender in the VR world so she could be looked at as more normal and to not be discriminated against.

Local laws?

California is an at-will employment state. This is about the contract, or simply thinking they can ride this out.
Sorry im from London so i forget that some places allow that sort of thing to happen. Of course im sure when you have $600m in the bank to afford high class lawyers the lack of protective laws probably doesnt mean as much as it would to your average Joe.

Could be like RealMeat said and that its all tied into the whole lawsuit issue but at this point we just dont know.

_dd_

What the hell is wrong with you all. He says he's libertarian, he's supporting Trump because Trump is the best shot at beating Hilary.

Eveyone should be anti-Hilary, that evil family should not make it back to the Whitehouse.

And before you get all riled up do yourself a favor and research the Mena cocaine smuggling conspiracy involving Bill, google "Clinton Body Count" (give that a read, read it all, it'll take a few minutes), google "Seth Rich" and read the wikipedia article, and then go to the FBI's website, download the pdf of their "investigation" on Hilary mishandling classified information, and give it a read, its fucking embarrasing as a country, the FBI covering for the State Department.

It doesn't end there, Hilary also suggests to drone people she doesnt like, has people outside the government influencing her. People who donated to The Clinton Foundation meet with Hilary working in her capacity as Secretary of State! AKA give my private "foundation" money, and I'll exchange favors as Secretary of State.

You are all tools, its sad to see Gaf reach this low. You're up in arms because somebody is politically active, trying to stop a monster from controlling our country and all you guys can muster up is "omg he supports trump. He's a biggot."

At least Trump's not a murderer, who wants to take your guns (sounds crazy right?).

Get out there, do some research, there's very little time to continue spreading this message. The election is next month, if Hilary doesn't win, she has now power to help FBI and they will in turn procecute her. Right now it's FBI scratching her back because they know she'll scratch theirs after being elected.

Do some research, trust your gut. Don't let the serial killer couple back into office.

Mahonay

Banned
What the hell is wrong with you all. He says he's libertarian, he's supporting Trump because Trump is the best shot at beating Hilary.

Eveyone should be anti-Hilary, that evil family should not make it back to the Whitehouse.

And before you get all riled up do yourself a favor and research the Mena cocaine smuggling conspiracy involving Bill, google "Clinton Body Count" (give that a read, read it all, it'll take a few minutes), google "Seth Rich" and read the wikipedia article, and then go to the FBI's website, download the pdf of their "investigation" on Hilary mishandling classified information, and give it a read, its fucking embarrasing as a country, the FBI covering for the State Department.

It doesn't end there, Hilary also suggests to drone people she doesnt like, has people outside the government influencing her. People who donated to The Clinton Foundation meet with Hilary working in her capacity as Secretary of State! AKA give my private "foundation" money, and I'll exchange favors as Secretary of State.

You are all tools, its sad to see Gaf reach this low. You're up in arms because somebody is politically active, trying to stop a monster from controlling our country and all you guys can muster up is "omg he supports trump. He's a biggot."

At least he'she's not a murderer, who wants to take your guns (sounds crazy right?).

Get out there, do some research, there's very little time to continue spreading this message. The election is next month, if Hilary doesn't win, she has now power to help FBI amd they will in turn procecute her. Right now it's FBI scratching ber back because they know she'll scratch theirs after being elected.

Do some research, trust your gut. Don't let the serial killer couple back into office.
xnA7d.gif

mattp

At least he'she's not a murderer, who wants to take your guns (sounds crazy right?).

Get out there, do some research, there's very little time to continue spreading this message. The election is next month, if Hilary doesn't win, she has now power to help FBI amd they will in turn procecute her. Right now it's FBI scratching ber back because they know she'll scratch theirs after being elected.

oh boy

karasu

giphy.gif

At least Trump's not a murderer, who wants to take your guns (sounds crazy right?).

Get out there, do some research, there's very little time to continue spreading this message. The election is next month, if Hilary doesn't win, she has now power to help FBI and they will in turn procecute her. Right now it's FBI scratching her back because they know she'll scratch theirs after being elected.

How much InfoWars do you read in an average day?

658.gif

It's 'bigot', not 'biggot'.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Local laws?

Either way, I'm not giving them points for thinking about their bottom line.
People have mentioned it's illegal to fire someone for political activities outside work in CA.

Political affiliation/activities: Not all states have laws prohibiting political affiliation discrimination or termination for political activities, but many do. So do some counties and cities. The Civil Service Reform Act of 1978 prohibits political affiliation discrimination against federal employees. In Michigan, the laws prohibit direct or indirect threats against employees for the purpose of influencing their vote. It also prohibits tracking of political activity. In Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Kentucky, employers are prohibited from posting or handing out notices threatening to shut down or lay off workers if a particular candidate is elected. In Oregon, it’s illegal to threaten loss of employment in order to influence the way someone votes. In Washington State, it’s illegal to retaliate against employees for failing to support a candidate, ballot position or political party. Some states, like California, Colorado, New York, North Dakota and Louisiana, say it’s illegal to retaliate against an employee for their off-duty participation in politics or political campaigns. In Florida, it’s a felony to “discharge or threaten to discharge any employee in his or her service for voting or not voting in any election, state, county, or municipal, for any candidate or measure submitted to a vote of the people.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/donna-ballman/can-you-be-fired-for-your_b_9154066.html

California

The California Labor Code prohibits any employer policy: (1) limiting workers' participation in politics; (2) barring employees from becoming candidates for public office; (3) requiring workers to adhere to any particular political action/activity; or (4) "controlling or directing ... political activities or affiliations of employees." California law also prohibits adverse action against employees because of "lawful conduct occurring during nonworking hours away from the employer's premises." Given the apparent statutory/regulatory breadth of "political activity," California employers must be particularly careful in drafting policies. For further information, contact Holland & Knight lawyers Linda Auerbach Allderdice ( linda.allderdice@hklaw.com) or James Michalski ( james.michalski@hklaw.com) in Los Angeles.

https://www.hklaw.com/publications/Hey-Take-It-Outside-Politics-in-the-Workplace-10-01-2011/

With that said, I'm sure if facebook/Oculus wanted him out they would have found a way to do it by now.

Top Bottom