• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim not officially confirmed by Bethesda for Nintendo Switch

But would people actually hold off on buying the remasters for current consoles to buy Skyrim(possibly remastered) on Switch? We don't know at what res it'll run at, nor do we know if mods will be available or not.

jblank83

Because droves of people with Xbox and PlayStation consoles won't buy that version and instead hold off on a Switch one?

No.

Is it more likely this is some sort of complicated business deal gone wrong / fascinating game industry political maneuver?

Simplest answer wins: Bethesda wants all focus on their release of Skyrim Remastered next week.

The important part for me is here :
That's what makes this thing so obvious and why I don't understand why people are so up in arms over Bethesda PR. Clearly Nintendo is not ready to talk specific software details and they are extremely likely to be coordinating a software unveil at a later date. So basically Bethesda is likely just waiting on Nintendo. And yet people somehow jump to the conclusion that they are a villain in this.

MANUELF

Banned
It reads like please Dont make our release next week to sell badly by waiting for a future sku and buy it now instead

True Fire

What the fuck?
Can't remember something like that ever happening. Confirmed before getting cancelled, sure, but showcased in an official video as a game and not a concept? What.

I think it's moreso that Nintendo confirmed it before Bethesda wanted them to. Bethesda likes to keep their eggs in their own basket.

Arkeband

Banned
Bethesda's PR is actually managed by their own in-house Radiant AI, this is just one of the many different things it could have said about the upcoming Skyrim Remaster on the Nintendo Switch. You've all witnessed the next evolution of gaming marketing speak.

Sandfox

I meant BF 3, sorry. Got my timeline mixed up.

And yea, Skyrim wasn't announced either. They just showed it running on the system. BF was alluded to, then never happened. It's a similar situation of Nintendo associating their new console with 3rd party titles that aren't guaranteed to come to the system.
This is different because BF3 disappeared because EA wasn't happy with the Wii U while this is because Bethesda wants people to focus on the other versions.

NateDrake

Nintendo isn't ready to talk software specifics. Hasn't anyone else noticed how no company announced Switch software today following the reveal? Nintendo didn't even detail the games they showed. Wait for next week.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But would people actually hold off on buying the remasters for current consoles to buy Skyrim(possibly remastered) on Switch? We don't know at what res it'll run at, nor do we know if mods will be available or not.

A portable Skyrim is more of an incentive than just a light update, especially if your played the game before.

I almost feel like Skyrim Remastered shouldn't come to Switch...

Don't get get me wrong, I'm extremely happy about Bethesda's support. But really, who is going to buy Skyrim Remastered on Switch? It's going to be the least visually impressive version of the remaster, and it's going to come out 5 months after all the other versions. And if it doesn't sell well, then Bethesda can say, "Whelp, we tried, but the audience just isn't there."

tebunker

Banned
That's what makes this thing so obvious and why I don't understand why people are so up in arms over Bethesda PR. Clearly Nintendo is not ready to talk specific software details and they are extremely likely to be coordinating a software unveil at a later date. So basically Bethesda is likely just waiting on Nintendo. And yet people somehow jump to the conclusion that they are a villain in this.

People don't understand how a lot of this works. When companies are publicly traded or have Venture Capital concerns to answer for, each announcement is carefully planned. In this instance Nintendo is waiting till next week for official software.

Look you don't put a game not coming to your system in your reveal trailer.

DNAbro

Bethesda be like

3vCROzA.gif

This is a 10/10 gif

Nzyme32

So the presentation was completely bullshit ?

This is a huge leap lol.

To quote Nintendo : Today’s video incorporated short glimpses of representative gameplay to demonstrate the liberating nature of the Nintendo Switch home gaming system.

What you can take from that is that - to an extent - it is bullshit, as much as the PSVR ads of peoples reactions "playing" the games when they obviously are not wearing a transparent VR headset and playing. The games are likely not running real time on the systems etc, and are probably shown in their best light purely as Nintendo says - to demonstrate the "liberating nature" of Nintendo Switch

I almost feel like Skyrim Remastered shouldn't come to Switch...

Don't get get me wrong, I'm extremely happy about Bethesda's support. But really, who is going to buy Skyrim Remastered on Switch? It's going to be the least visually impressive version of the remaster, and it's going to come out 5 months after all the other versions. And if it doesn't sell well, then Bethesda can say, "Whelp, we tried, but the audience just isn't there."
People who wanted a portable Elder Scrolls

Ydelnae

I think they are just waiting until Nintendo green lights software talk. If Skyrim is coming, I also expect the system to get Fallout 4 GOTY with PS4 and X1 next year.

eFKac

Because droves of people with Xbox and PlayStation consoles won't buy that version and instead hold off on a Switch one?

No.

But three guys already dropped their PS4 preorders for Switch!

Bethesda got shook and had to quickly do damage control cause the current gen versions would totally flop now!

brinstar

No.

Who said anything about droves? I have a PS4 and I was considering getting the remaster, now this has me waiting and seeing what's up with this one. Pretty sure Bethesda would love me to buy both.

Nzyme32

I think they are just waiting until Nintendo green lights software talk. If Skyrim is coming, I also expect the system to get Fallout 4 GOTY with PS4 and X1 next year.

I'd be pretty confident it's going to be coming, otherwise they wouldn't show it. As for what it would look like, or if they have even started porting it, is completely unknown

Nintendo isn't ready to talk software specifics. Hasn't anyone else noticed how no company announced Switch software today following the reveal? Nintendo didn't even detail the games they showed. Wait for next week.

Yeah, I noticed that, and inferred that the NDAs won't fully be lifted until after the first Direct, or the investor briefing, or whatnot.

Not that I expect a flood of AAA announcements, but surely there's more to come in the near future.

brawly

I was just thinking that it's a stupid title to showcase anyhow, sort of like Batman AC with the Wii U, though even worse, because it's old as hell and gets a superior re-release soon.

They should've shown something new, like a guy and girl battling eachother locally on two systems in For Honor or something like that.

Whompa02

So some techy maybe even fake video of some unknown Mario game, a new old character for Mario Kart, pants for Splatoon, and a Zelda game that's eventually going to be available on both WiiU and the Switch, and now a fake video of a game that isn't even on the console?

Holy shit. And some of you guys got excited for this?

Taker34

Banned
I have to admit that this is quite funny. Not for Nintendo or Bethesda but clearly communication isn't one of Nintendo's strengths? How can this happen?
If anything it looks like Nintendo desperately wanted to show the support they receive from 3rd parties... and well, that game they've extensively shown isn't even being confirmed to be in development. I'm wondering if the shown footage of Skyrim was previously unreleased, because that'd kinda confirm it as a Switch title. Of course I believe that Beth does this so people double dip.That's how I see the whole situation at least. Ridiculous nevertheless.

Top Bottom