• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

JayEH

Luna getting abused as a kid in the Dawn trailer wasn't even in the game.

Iedloas was truly robbed. He was the poster guy for Nifhelm Empire and he got robbed.

Not enough outfits in the game but attaching stats to outfits is kinda... well...... I can tell the developers wanted you to use the default outfits (which so many people though were trash) so badly. Those default outfits still have better stats (HP wise) than the Kingslaive stuff. I still had Noctis wearing the Regis suit DLC almost the entire game. Lol

No option to let you choose whose in your party is a mistake.... at least let us have that in endgame. I would be much eager to play the postgame if I could have Iris and Aranea there. Heck, even Cor.

No-one cares for Talcott and Jared. Still bizarre we see a timeskip Talcott before a timeskip Iris.

I think the old general for the empire got robbed more than the emperor. I legit forgot he was in the game until I watched a video of someone saying they were disappointed his role seemed to reduce from the trailers. And what do you know he was only in like a 2 min random scene in the beginning of the game lol.

Ishida

Banned
So it is all neogaf's fault?

lol joking

a3334c8ba8d247da7dc231a62578074d50987a7d32a61dbe6387e010bf7e7cb9.jpg

jackdoe

I think the old general for the empire got robbed more than the emperor. I legit forgot he was in the game until I watched a video of someone saying they were disappointed his role seemed to reduce from the trailers. And what do you know he was only in like a 2 min random scene in the beginning of the game lol.
And I found out that he was Prompto's father on the internet (apparently mentioned in the official guidebook). Truly mind boggling stuff.

According to the leaks they removed these flashbacks due to the "Luna is weak" / "FFXV is sexist" controversy.
It's great that they removed those scenes as it would have made a terrible character into an even worse one.

Spira

Banned
This annoyed the hell out of me as well. Here is the solution:

1) You should already have it, but if not - get the AP option that makes appendages break with a warp strike.
2) Take the [Old Lestallum?] quest [for spiracorns/dualacorns] and camp nearest to the quest area and use the chicken an egg rice meal to get the 50% drop rate boost (if you don't have this, I think one of the vendors in Lestallum also cooks it anyways).
3) Go to quest area and save a new slot just outside of the yellow zone (this is so you can replay easily if you don't get it).
4) Fight the enemies - you can either clear out the spiracorns and save the dualcorns or focus on the dualcorns as they are they important ones for getting Sturdy Helixhorn.
5) Hold the targeting button and use the right stick to make sure you are targeting a dualcorn's horn for your attacks.
6) Warp strike the horns religiously. Don't bother with other attacks - use the warp points liberally to restore MP.
7) Reload save until you get it - but points 5+6 are the key. Feel no guilt in this method because fuck that drop rate man...

The rice bowl helped quite a bit. I finally got one.

According to the leaks they removed these flashbacks due to the "Luna is weak" / "FFXV is sexist" controversy.

I'm in two minds about that. On one hand I would want them to stick to the full vision for the character and include those flashback scenes primarily so we can properly contextualise Luna's character when analysing her, because I feel the one we have in the final version of the game is too cut-down and absent.

On the other hand, eek. We're not talking about genuinely decent scenes that were unjustly removed, thus depriving her of anything special. It sounds like the scenes were onerous enough that even the team was aware enough to recognise how potentially problematic it would paint the heroine they were actively hyping people up for. I'm personally not very interested in seeing those kind of flashbacks and I would probably have been left even more aghast at their handling of Luna than I already have.

So I finished the game the other day and I've spent the day trying to process the whole thing.

- Most fantasy stuff takes from Tolkien, but this is the first Final Fantasy I've felt like was really trying to go for the vibe. From the fellowship like quest that Noctis and Co have, to Noctis' own role being similar to Aragorn, embracing his bloodline and duty and the whole King of Kings thing, and Frodo with the burden of ring weighing heavily on him in the journey. There's a lot of Greek myth going on here with Noctis needing the blessings of the Gods, and I can see the Hamlet influence here that was mentioned years ago. I really dig it.

- I like most of the characters, but I like Noctis especially, since this is largely his story. Noctis is far from the brooding protagonist I was expecting. He's far more sarcastic and lazy, but he will do what's right. It really got to me that he didn't even question or second guess the fact that he would have to die. Bahamut tells him that others have sacrificed their lives for him, so he should be be willing to do the same with his life for the world. It just tragic, but you can read his eyes despite him being wordless and not making a big deal about it after waking up

- The three pals are fun company, though one note. We only get any real conflict between the group after Ignis loses his sight but they all move on past this. Prompto's big reveal in Chapter 13 just didn't mean anything to me, as there was really nothing building up to it.

- I'm so conflicted about Luna. I hate how she's just barely in the game, but I don't know, I dig her character archetype, the devoted priestess who is trying to fulfill her duty. I like the scenes she's in already. But she's just flawless, there's nothing else to her besides her duty and her love for Noctis. On top of barely being in the game, she's killed off as a fuel for Noctis' resolve. If I hadn't watched Kingslaive I'd probably absolutely despise her instead of just being disappointed with her implementation. There's a better version of this game where we see Luna interact with the Astrals and present Noctis more. It would have made her death have more impact, and it would probably sting less as a women in the refrigerator moment, even though it still is one. It's just an overall waste of potential.

- Ardyn was like the only real villain in this game. There was a cutscene early on that showed a bunch of people, which I assumed would be generals you'd have to deal with over the course of the journey but I forget if you actually do besides the undercooked Ravus. Ardyn being this vengeful but playful antagonist was entertaining, but a lot of his plan just didn't make any sense to me. And I know if I think about it I'll start disliking him more.

- The ending...is rushed, but I like it conceptually. I can overlook the sloppiness, because SE managed to get me during Noctis' final scenes in the throne room and the crystal realm. And then playing stand by me in the credits with all of Prompto's photos along with Noctis and Luna finally being able to wed each other, I don't know, I guess I'm easily swept up in the emotion. Maybe I do need more time to process this.

So I guess this is the best place to talk about the story and ending in particular? At least without having to spoiler tag everything.

What was that even.

I really just don't understand where the story wanted to go in the latter half.
The time skip was stupid. It could have been interesting but was completely underutilized.
The game does a horrid job of showing you the consequences of your actions, with barely a glimpse at the state of the world.

The next thing you know you are on the way to retake the capitol.
Once there, your party banters about how lively a certain part of the city used to be etc.

This city--which you as the player--have never stepped foot in.

So many of the ideas in the narrative have potential and would have been interesting if properly fleshed out, but what is actually present just frustrates me most of the time.

jiggle

Nice, they fixed the Daurell cavern bug

Pretty funny to see Aranea chases after your car

Pitiosis dungeon is just so horrible
But also kinda good?
The game is so not right for this kind of gameplay
But the actual dungeon design is actually pretty interesting
Hopefully ps4 rest mode keeps my progress

Ydelnae

The Ultimania states that the scene with Leviathan was supposed to be Luna's moment and that it was made to show that unlike Yuna, who was sad and not sure of her capabilites, Luna is a very strong woman that was decided to do the ritual.

Also, Tabata says that Cor is named "The Inmortal" as mockery for his little involvement in the game's events.

Ardyn became the chancellor because Iedolas was too incompetent and couldn't get shit done, his politician skills and knowledge impressed the emperor.

some roughly translated stuff from the Ultimania

On Ardyn

What were the dolls at the end of game?

Tabata: This is a description of how long Ardyn waited for Noctis. he is a sloppy personality with a.. depraved satisfaction unlike normal people. He is the kind of character to make this 'dirty’ (not as-in grimy. dirty) scenery and play with it while he waited.

Ardyn was trying to achieve his victory by defeating Noctis as king, but was it purely for revenge?

Tabata: I wonder if there was a profound reason besides wanting to taste the highest pleasure of revenge on a strengthened Noctis. The misfortune of Noctis was based on my own happiness.

Translators Note: Dirty in the first statement is perverse. It also seems like Tabata gets off on the ending of the game. Explains a lot.It also seems like the corpses in the throne room were real bodies, a testament of Ardyns ability to preserve. It’s loosely stated Ardyn had much more power than he used, to the point of implying Noctis was allowed to win for the sake of Ardyn emerging victorious.

Director commentary states the ending of the game was left purposefully vague, so that the player could decide what happens in the end. It is left entirely up to interpretation.

Ishida

Banned
It also seems like the corpses in the throne room were real bodies

That would be kind of weird, since Iedolas was already transformed into a Daemon and he evaporated when he died. Also it would mean that Ardyn carried Iedolas' nude body and dressed him again in his old robes.

:v

But still, holy shit if true.

Ardyn is such a great villain.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That's some slasher movie stuff.

Here's these bodies I've kept in my magic freezer for ten years. You're next!

jackdoe

The Ultimania states that the scene with Leviathan was supposed to be Luna's moment and that it was made to show that unlike Yuna, who was sad and not sure of her capabilites, Luna is a very strong woman that was decided to do the ritual.

Also, Tabata says that Cor is named "The Inmortal" as mockery for his little involvement in the game's events.

Ardyn became the chancellor because Iedolas was too incompetent and couldn't get shit done, his politician skills and knowledge impressed the emperor.
Yikes, if that was what they were going for, they failed spectacularly.

Cloukyo

Banned
That would be kind of weird, since Iedolas was already transformed into a Daemon and he evaporated when he died. Also it would mean that Ardyn carried Iedolas' nude body and dressed him again in his old robes.

Shame we only saw that side of him in the last hour of the game

I can't help but be reminded of FFVI. Where Kefka was revealed to be the big BIG bad after he ruined the world.

Skeleton plot aside, I really think expanding the ruined world would've fixed everything... At least made the game feel fuller and more epic. You'd finally learn the true nature of Ardyn and let his status as the big bad truly sink in, rather than him being a prankster for 98% of the game. Two more chapters there would've been perfect.

Ishida

Banned
Shame we only saw that side of him in the last hour of the game

I can't help but be reminded of FFVI. Where Kefka was revealed to be the big BIG bad after he ruined the world.

Skeleton plot aside, I really think expanding the ruined world would've fixed everything... At least made the game feel fuller and more epic. Two more chapters there would've been perfect.

I think that taunting Ravus, and slapping and stabbing Luna showed his true colors earlier than in the final hour, though.

Cloukyo

Banned
I think that taunting Ravus, and slapping and stabbing Luna showed his true colors earlier than in the final hour, though.

It was a start, more akin to Kefka poisoning the village. A hint that he's a true asshole. But not enough to cement him as a true planet-wide threat. Kefka's influence was seen in the world of ruin in the second half of FFVI because of how he was routinely destroying cities on a whim, and because of how you had time to see the effects of his evil and let it sink in.

In FFXV you're just there. You hear some stuff. Then you fight Ardyn.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great bad guy. He was honestly just done a disservice, I feel this way about the bros too. I thought Noctis would be a whiny git but he ended up being really likeable. Seeing older Noctis go around the world trying to fix shit on a smaller scale, helping people, being a down to earth king helping everyone he could, would've been awesome.

Ishida

Banned
It was a start, more akin to Kefka poisoning the village. A hint that he's a true asshole. But not enough to cement him as a true planet-wide threat.

While that's true, Ardyn was not intended as a planet-wide threat unless we count the creation and release of Daemons.

Unlike pretty much all the other villains in the franchise, Ardyn did not seek power. He didn't want to destroy the world. He didn't want to conquer and rule it. He wasn't trying to erase all existence.

Ardyn is a more "human" villain, a more personal villain with no delusions of grandeur, no god-complex. All he wanted was revenge against those that betrayed him 2,000 years ago, and to die in the end.

Personally I thought he was a breath of fresh air, and that's why he's up there with my favorite villains.

Cloukyo

Banned
While that's true, Ardyn was not intended as a planet-wide threat unless we count the creation and release of Daemons.

Unlike pretty much all the other villains in the franchise, Ardyn did not seek power. He didn't want to destroy the world. He didn't want to conquer and rule it. He wasn't trying to erase all existence.

Ardyn is a more "human" villain, a more personal villain with no delusions of grandeur, no god-complex. All he wanted was revenge against those that betrayed him 2,000 years ago, and to die in the end.

Personally I thought he was a breath of fresh air, and that's why he's up there with my favorite villains.

You think so? The entire world was in a state of ruin for 10 years and he was sat at the thone just laughing the whole time. He had personal reasons for it all sure, he wasn't interested in world domination, but he was still a planet-wide threat. He wanted to demolish the world out of pure spite.

Ishida

Banned
You think so? The entire world was in a state of ruin for 10 years and he was sat at the thone just laughing the whole time. He had personal reasons for it all sure, he wasn't interested in world domination, but he was still a planet-wide threat. He wanted to demolish the world out of pure spite.

He wanted to demolish the world because that would force Noctis to become the True King. At no point does Ardyn demostrate any real hate for the world. He even tells Noctis that "he twisted the world, just for him".

What Ardyn did to the world was not because he hated it, but because fucking the world up was the only way for the True King to awaken and sacrifice himself, ending the Lucis line in the process. No fucked up world, no need for the Crystal to cleanse it, no need for Noctis to sacrifice himself.

Tyaren

But all of Eos turned into the World of Ruin with eternal night and daemons prowling about. That's imo a planet-wide threat to me...

Ishida

Banned
But all of Eos turned into the World of Ruin with eternal night and daemons prowling about. That's imo a planet-wide threat to me...

Yes, however that wasn't Ardyn ultimate plan. Remember that Ardyn KNEW that Noctis would cleanse the world anyways. The world being cleansed was part of his plan, because cleansing the world would end the Lucis line.

Toth

Now that I think about it, there were reports that they never found Luna's body and we know Ardyn absorbs demons. It wouldn't be hard for him to retrieve Nyx's and Regis' body either.....

Boy that's creepy....

It also seems like the corpses in the throne room were real bodies

Nice, i assumed that initially. But people were saying otherwise. I actually really liked the ending. A shame everything leading up to it was trash.

- Ardyn was like the only real villain in this game. There was a cutscene early on that showed a bunch of people, which I assumed would be generals you'd have to deal with over the course of the journey but I forget if you actually do besides the undercooked Ravus. Ardyn being this vengeful but playful antagonist was entertaining, but a lot of his plan just didn't make any sense to me. And I know if I think about it I'll start disliking him more.

Yeah I thought the same. Wish there were more developed villians. Hell instead of giving us monsters with no ties to the story as bosses they could've made all those underdeveloped villians bosses, but what do I know.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I still don't know why the emperor is there. What's the point of that? Ravus would make more sense, as he was among those who died because of getting involved with Noct's mission.

Ishida

Banned
I still don't know why the emperor is there. What's the point of that? Ravus would make more sense, as he was among those who died because of getting involved with Noct's mission.

I assume it's because he just likes toying with the corpse of the guy he manipulated for so many years. Like a mockery of power. "You thought you were in control, you thought you were in charge of the most powerful nation in the entire world, but all your ambitions and desires only played a role in MY plans."

Toth

He stole the Crystal, had Regis killed, and severely damaged Insomnia though. He was key to Arydn's plan to start the Starscourge.

Edit: But I do like Ishida's explanation.

Ishida

Banned
Ah yeah I didn't watch kingslaive. Who was the actual person that killed regis

The leader of the Kingsglaive, Captain Drautos. He's the guy who's walking behind Regis in the opening cutscene of the game.

drautos.jpg

He was also a spy for Niflheim, General Glauca.

13561653_1115330418506443_614594275_n.jpg

SolVanderlyn

I assume it's because he just likes toying with the corpse of the guy he manipulated for so many years. Like a mockery of power. "You thought you were in control, you thought you were in charge of the most powerful nation in the entire world, but all your ambitions and desires only played a role in MY plans."
I like this explanation too.

Ah yeah I didn't watch kingslaive. Who was the actual person that killed regis
Glauca. He is actually in the game for a brief moment. Movie spoilers:
He's the leader of the Kingsglaive, and was a double agent for the empire.

I think he died in the movie.

Edit: Beaten, and with pictures too.

Neifirst

Just beat the game at level 62 after nearly 58 hours. Is there a benefit for doing new game + over just going back via Umbra into the past? I found a couple of dungeons that I was unable to get too far into before retreating and I'd like to go find all of the tombs.

otapnam

The leader of the Kingsglaive, Captain Drautos. He's the guy who's walking behind Regis in the opening cutscene of the game.

drautos.jpg

He was also a spy for Niflheim, General Glauca.

13561653_1115330418506443_614594275_n.jpg

I like this explanation too.

Glauca. He is actually in the game for a brief moment. Movie spoilers:
He's the leader of the Kingsglaive, and was a double agent for the empire.

I think he died in the movie.

Edit: Beaten, and with pictures too.

Lol thx. Guess I should pop that Blu ray in sometime

jackdoe

Lol thx. Guess I should pop that Blu ray in sometime
Kingsglaive answers some questions, but will create a hell of a lot of inconsistencies in terms of character motivations and background details when compared to the actual game. So it's a definite trade off.

otapnam

Yeah it was disappointing in the game u never saw much of the empire peeps or fight them. Thought there would be a multi tiered boss system with those guys in the throne room. Definite waste

Koozek

Wait, that's not actually what he said, is it? :D

BasilZero

What's the explanation for nyx though? Didn't he evaporate as well?

On Ardyn

What were the dolls at the end of game?

Tabata: This is a description of how long Ardyn waited for Noctis. he is a sloppy personality with a.. depraved satisfaction unlike normal people. He is the kind of character to make this 'dirty’ (not as-in grimy. dirty) scenery and play with it while he waited.

Ardyn was trying to achieve his victory by defeating Noctis as king, but was it purely for revenge?

Tabata: I wonder if there was a profound reason besides wanting to taste the highest pleasure of revenge on a strengthened Noctis. The misfortune of Noctis was based on my own happiness.

Translators Note: Dirty in the first statement is perverse. It also seems like Tabata gets off on the ending of the game. Explains a lot.It also seems like the corpses in the throne room were real bodies, a testament of Ardyns ability to preserve. It’s loosely stated Ardyn had much more power than he used, to the point of implying Noctis was allowed to win for the sake of Ardyn emerging victorious.

Director commentary states the ending of the game was left purposefully vague, so that the player could decide what happens in the end. It is left entirely up to interpretation.

RG0BS1U.gif

The ending was left vague on purpose. See? The fate of the bros is meant to be ambiguous. I KNEW IT

HeelPower

On Ardyn

Noctis never truly became a king in the full sense of the word,anyway.

Also,I have a lot to say about the ending.

Like A LOT.The more I think about this ending the more I realize how its a thematic failure.Dunno if I should waste my time by writing an essay on it,though.

Top Bottom