• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Super Bowl Commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOLDSFAN

About time they actually made a commercial for the biggest television event in America.

The 30 second version was pretty good.

Not a fan of the extended cut.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
so they picked a march release date just so they can get a SB ad and reach millions of people? smart

No, they picked March as they had to promise their share holders more revenue during the current fiscal year which ends in March after missing being able to launch for the holidays.

Gsnap

i think we've been living in it. the pokemon 20th anniversary ad was the kickoff. the only hiccup so far has actually been the switch presentation, which was awkwardly handled outside the video segments (let's all kill conferences together), and some disappointing news about the platform (paid online, small launch lineup, 1 2 switch not being a pack-in title).

zelda at e3, pokemon go being a success and proving iwata's strategy correct, the initial switch reveal and the continuing good vibes about the platform, the nes classic turning into a hot holiday item - people are out of the period of time when they were worn out by the wii.

There's definitely some truth in this. Nintendo has been on a clear upswing for the past year. Everything they've done has gained them either good money or good mindshare. People are clearly interested in both their games and hardware, and they're expanding their reach via several means. I have a feeling the next few years are gonna be good times.

sammex

Nintendo be like

64e7dd1bf26711b6d502cf53bd31fe5e.gif

ok wrong Imagine Dragons song but still. Good ad, way better than the Wii U ones. Seems like they have learned their lesson with that.

I'm Surprised they didn't go with a more casual tone, e.g. Showing motion controls, 1-2 switch, multiple people playing, etc.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That's where i'm pessimistic (or realistic) about the state and popularity of nintendo ips.

Things have changed. Zelda is a core gamer ip, for nintendo fans. hey, if i read all the messages above, you would think zelda alone is such a killer app, then why did Gamecube and WiiU tanked ?

I think you have a group of people (that can be large, but they already know) that play all zeldas. And i think you have an other group who think zelda is a dated ip that never evolves.

Probem is i have people here telling me "hey the message is clear, there is a new Nintendo console and there is a zelda on it". If that message was so strong, Nintendo wouldn't be in the situation they are...

See, that's the whole problem here, with Nintendo fans.
You think threads full of zelda lovers loving zelda means every gaf loves zelda :) People buying zelda games love zelda yes. Indeed. Doesn't mean it's the right tool to expand.

Let's be clear i think that zelda is actually suepr modern and if people new everything it does, it could reach new grounds. I do think that, but i don't think it's appearing in adds unfortunately. The game should have associated a new philosophy with a entirely different look. For people who don't know about it, it's still the same thing all over again and it doesn't look like uncharted 4.
Zelda is like defacto popular nerd culture

AzaK

If only everything else about the device was as 'on-point' as the advertising so far ...

Yeah this is how I saw it. Great ad, but knowing what the console actually is, especially regarding the games and third party support makes me feel sad for all the people who'll be convinced by this ad to go and buy one.

I'm Surprised they didn't go with a more casual tone, e.g. Showing motion controls, 1-2 switch, multiple people playing, etc.
I was wondering what you are smoking until I realised I had watched the extended one. There's lots of that in there (probably a bit too much). but yeah to be ALL zelda in real commercial is an interesting choice.

This is hilarious.
I'm so uninterested that i have it preordered.

It's amazing how you can see an add about someone not dropping the game for one second being about people who have shit going on... Yeah real people have shit going on so they play a game at some point in the day, not all the time everywhere lol..

I think you (and a lot of other people in this thread) are falling into the trap of wanting one ad to do more than it should. In general, I often see people criticising ads because they don't do everything at once.

You're a really good artist and one of the things I like about your work is your focus and restraint. You can capture the essence of a game without cramming every possible element from the game into the piece.

This ad tells one simple narrative about the Switch. There will be more ads that tell other stories. Most likely, the extended commercial will be cut into several different 30 second ads. The Oscars are later this month, I would bet bet that Nintendo will run a more convivial ad then.

Didn't realize they bought a 4th quarter spot. I feel like that's on the cheaper side of the spectrum (the biggest blockbuster ads are typically at the front of the game, and more experimental stuff toward the back half). Runs the risk of being overlooked if the game itself is a blowout.

Still, a super bowl ad is massive. It's also interesting that they're doubling down on Zelda, rather than any of the motion control stuff that could hypothetically appeal to the broad audience. They're making a focused push - "You can play Zelda on this. It is both a console and handheld. Buy one in March", and doing it effectively. Refreshing, compared to the WiiU shitshow.

lenovox1

NoA's first goal is to make this a system worth buying video games for first and foremost. The approach they took with the Wii U of, "If we build it, they will come," was a failure from the start for that reason primarily.

The only games people ended up buying on the Wii U are Mario games, Mario Kart, and Super Smash Bros. That's kind of a big problem if you're trying to convince Western third parties that your system is actually a viable platform for the type of games that they make.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Yeah this is how I saw it. Great ad, but knowing what the console actually is, especially regarding the games and third party support makes me feel sad for all the people who'll be convinced by this ad to go and buy one.

Lol, we're not gonna need your sympathy.

I was wondering what you are smoking until I realised I had watched the extended one. There's lots of that in there (probably a bit too much). but yeah to be ALL zelda in real commercial is an interesting choice.

Come on bro 🙄

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Because, come March 3rd, it will be 100x more convenient to buy a Switch and Zelda than buy a Wii U and Zelda. Zelda Wii U only matters to people who already own a Wii U. Zelda isn't going to somehow cause a surge in used Wii U sales.

The PS4 launched with literally 2 retail games that weren't cross-gen; Killzone and Knack, yet it managed 4m sales in its first month; this is despite, of course, the PS3 and Xbox 360 vastly outnumbering the Wii U in terms of sales.

And you'd end up with a poorly edited trailer that doesn't have time to show off the console because it's too busy showing a sizzle reel of random games. There's a reason the extended cut is more than a minute long and it's because those games need at least a few seconds of establishment before you get what they're going for. The original Switch trailer was the length of an entire song and showed a grand total of... 6 different games.
I'm not saying that the wiiu will steal switch sales, but in a way or another people will know about the wiiu, what i'm saying is:

-think of people looking at the ad with just Zelda that's also on the wiiu, do you think they'll say: "Switch has lots of games!" ? I don't think so.

-wiiu is a bad legacy, it makes people more cautious, make people wonder if Switch will have third party support.

Basically the wiiu won't steal anything but it will have a bad effect on switch sales.

The bed scene is totally futile, a waste of time that imo won't be even liked by parents, the real important part of the ad is passing seamlessly from handheld to home console mode, once you have shown that and zelda you can spend the rest of the time showing more games to give the idea that lots of games are coming, because the point of a 30 seconds trailer isn't to make people understand what a game or console is, people won't even understand Switch or Zelda despite all the time they got, the point is to raise the interest of people, the more you show the better.

Selling consumers on the experiences they can have in March is a little more... Representative of the product than selling them on experiences they can have later. Besides, they have other marketing material for that.

If, as you say, people are going to research beyond this commercial, they will absolutely find the marketing materials for those other games.
I agree but neutral people don't buy a console at launch just for launch games, neutral people want to be sure that there will be a constant flow of games.

I'm not saying that the wiiu will steal switch sales, but in a way or another people will know about the wiiu, what i'm saying is:

-think of people looking at the ad with just Zelda that's also on the wiiu, do you think they'll say: "Switch has lots of games!" ? I don't think so.

-wiiu is a bad legacy, it makes people more cautious, make people wonder if Switch will have third party support.

Basically the wiiu won't steal anything but it will have a bad effect on switch sales.

The bed scene is totally futile, a waste of time that imo won't be even liked by parents, the real important part of the ad is passing seamlessly from handheld to home console mode, once you have shown that and zelda you can spend the rest of the time showing more games to give the idea that lots of games are coming, because the point of a 30 seconds trailer isn't to make people understand what a game is, people won't even understand Zelda despite all the time it got, the point is to raise the interest of people, the more you show the better.

I agree but neutral people don't buy a console at launch just for launch games, neutral people want to be sure that there will be a constant flow of games.

WiiU won't have a significant impact on Switch sales, positively or negatively, because the fact of the matter is that the majority of the mainstream market doesn't even remember the WiiU is a thing.

good job securing a SB ad. thats a big deal.

did anyone else see the guy immediately start gaming after waking up? that struck me as odd.

edit: for the record I go on GAF first thing after waking, not game.

Kureransu

Didn't realize they bought a 4th quarter spot. I feel like that's on the cheaper side of the spectrum (the biggest blockbuster ads are typically at the front of the game, and more experimental stuff toward the back half). Runs the risk of being overlooked if the game itself is a blowout.

Still, a super bowl ad is massive. It's also interesting that they're doubling down on Zelda, rather than any of the motion control stuff that could hypothetically appeal to the broad audience. They're making a focused push - "You can play Zelda on this. It is both a console and handheld. Buy one in March", and doing it effectively. Refreshing, compared to the WiiU shitshow.
I think the 4th quarter is the quarter most watched.

psyfi

Banned
Damn near everyone I know has some soft spot in their heart for Zelda, and I barely know any gamers in real life.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
WiiU won't have a significant impact on Switch sales, positively or negatively, because the fact of the matter is that the majority of the mainstream market doesn't even remember the WiiU is a thing.

People that will search for zelda BOTW will inevitably know about the wiiu, and people not remembering the wiiu is a bad thing, not positive, for people only bad consoles are forgotten and/or ignored, let's not pretend it's possible to be informed on the switch without getting into some mention of the wiiu.

Damn near everyone I know has some soft spot in their heart for Zelda, and I barely know any gamers in real life.

I was at a protest over the Muslim ban this weekend, and on one-half of my sign I wrote a pithy little Zelda reference: "Bannon? More like Ganon."

People ate it up, I got so many high-fives, chuckles, smirks, from everyone from teenagers, to mothers, to young kids. People fucking love Zelda.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Neutral people don't buy consoles at launch period. The diehards are the early adopters.

This ad isn't to sell launch units, preorders are sold out and it will probably be hard to find for a month or two. It's purpose is to just get the Switch name and main concept (play as a portable or on TV) out to the mainstream who aren't online watching the prior reveal video, press conference etc. As well as maybe fire up some core gamers who were on the fence to try to track down a console during the launch window to help generate buss.

I'd imagine they'll have a lot more ads going forward, and some will probably use the "casual" portion of extended ad in later March and beyond when they need to start bringing in sales from more than their diehard fans--and especially in the fall in advance of Mario and the holiday sales season where they really HAVE to do well if this is going to be a success. A strong push for Mario Kart in March/April with the NCAA tournament and Final Four would be smart as well, if Splatoon is coming early summer market it during the NBA finals, season finales of major shows etc.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I think the 4th quarter is the quarter most watched.

It is, and the most expensive time slot to buy an ad as a result.

Some years it can backfire if the game isn't close, but we haven't had many blow outs in Super Bowls lately (unlike the 90s) and this one is very likely to be close.

Damnit, sorry for double post. Thread was moving fast so assumed there would be some in between.

Great advert.

Still nothing I want to play that I don't already basically own or can get on the WiiU, but still, much better than WiiU's marketing.

They're definitely going all in on the casual and Nintendo fan market again like the Wii though, which I'm still not convinced is going to work a second time.

lenovox1

But But But But I thought young adults ain't the target audience of Nintendo.

I mean... It was true with the Wii U. The marketing for that piece of Kit was... Unfocused, I think is a good word?

It's been clear since the Nintendo Switch reveal trailer that this thing is aimed squarely at Millennials at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom