• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Super Bowl Commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the US, but I totally agree it's going to be more popular some places than others. I don't necessarily see it being in your face every where you go, but the ad just normalizes it like... you could if you wanted to.

You give fair points, though. Streetpass also isn't going to be included in switch, but it's going to be a staple at LAN parties. My company has a LAN party every quarter, and we're already planning on doing a switch centric one.

Very true. I'm an ivory tower academic so my work environment and social circle are pretty unique. No gamers among my colleagues. I never even saw any of them playing Pokemon Go and got teased by some of them when playing when walking with them to lunch and what not.

Most are super workaholics who scoff at wasting time on things like games. Really though most also just have kids and family stuff eating up free time, which I don't (and never will). Though a couple also aren't having kids and are just true workaholics and super productive work wise.

Student wise, no idea why so few 3DS/Vita around. I'm guessing most just don't bother playing on campus and/or only game on consoles/PCs, aside from the few I was getting street passes from. I'll be interested to see if I see any Switches around in coming months/years.

Wait, someone is saying the bed scene could be cut? You mean, the scene where they show off handheld mode?

Right...

To be fair, most of those people were saying that should have been substituted with it being used as a portable outdoors, on an airplane etc. like in the initial reveal to make it clear it's a true portable and not like the Wii U that can only be used at home/near the console.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
It's good that they're taking this seriously, Super Bowl ads are as big as it gets.

AdanVC

How much planning does a trip to the park take bruv? 😅
LOL! Well I recently meet her through Tinder so I have to be careful on the way I ask her out! Thankfully we already went out last week and it was all nice :D She is aware of the Switch existence but not sure if she knows about 1 2 Switch's silliness, hah. Hope things continue going well until March 3 to ask her to go for a picnic with me or something and play :p

Way to go! Best of luck x),

Thanks, hermano! :') The only downside is the price of the game though, lol! But oh well.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That guy needs to put the console away and focus on breakfast.

Lol.

Seeing it focused on a guy squeezing in games every second he could did make me thing of some stupid article focused at womenI read about game addiction being one of the top "signs you're dating a 'manchild.'"

Managed to find it, or one similar to the one I was remember, with a quick google.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/charlie-shaw/2013/11/21-signs-youre-dating-a-man-child/

2. He has a bizarre, unhealthy obsession with video games.

I’m not one to judge game addictions; Tetris stole my entire senior year right before my very eyes. But there’s something particularly off when your boy is playing a fantasy, first-person shooter game on his iPhone any chance he gets. I’m talking you look away for one second to fold your laundry and he’s at it again. The type of attachment that actually gets in the way of his work and productivity.

Not that I think the ad will generate that type of reaction. It just funnily made me think of that stupid article/one like it.

That kind of music... what is it, why has it been around this long... did they formulate the most inoffensive yet hip music at a lab and there just isn't any need for any other genre of promotional music?

I find Nintendo's "examples" of Switch use ridiculous.

K7TPTnK.png

Who's going to do this. Who.

I'm with you there. Since the very beginning, it's been advertised by a slew of highly improbable fantasy scenarios that are so cringy I've got no teeth left.

- A cute girl is not going to look interested in the game you're playing while at the airport.
- You will not interrupt your game to bring your Switch to a rooftop party.
- You will not play Switch on a car mount while in the back of a taxi ride.
- A team of basketball players will not interrupt their actual game of basketball to play Switch basketball.
- You will not find a single college/university course where enough people will have a Switch and the same game to hold a 8-player Splatoon/MK8 match.
- You will not bring your Switch along as you go walk your dog to a park. You will walk your dog. Maybe once for the novelty of it, tops.

Etc. etc. etc.

Genocyber

The Wii U commercial was terrible. It's understandable that consumers got confused as they kept calling the console 'The All New Nintendo Wii U' so people would naturally think that its just a newer version of their existing Wii console.

In contrast the Nintendo Switch commercial is edgy, modern and presents a clear message that the Switch is something different that can be enjoyed alone in front of the television or with friends in a social setting. Good work Nintendo!

WadeitOut

In contrast the Nintendo Switch commercial is edgy

Are you talking about the reveal trailer? Because this one was about as non-edgy as you can get. It had people standing in a suburban front yard playing a tech demo game and a dad and son fake laughing while playing in their living room.

asagami_

Banned
I'm with you there. Since the very beginning, it's been advertised by a slew of highly improbable fantasy scenarios that are so cringy I've got no teeth left.

- A cute girl is not going to look interested in the game you're playing while at the airport.
- A team of basketball players will not interrupt their actual game of basketball to play Switch basketball.
- You will not find a single college/university course where enough people will have a Switch and the same game to hold a 8-player Splatoon/MK8 match.
- You will not bring your Switch along as you go walk your dog to a park. You will walk your dog. Maybe once for the novelty of it, tops.

Etc. etc. etc.

Wait. This can happen. Maybe not a single course, but if enough people in the same building. And I'm not talking about Japan, because there the local multiplayer aspect of Switch will be a hit.

JaseMath

Lol.

Seeing it focused on a guy squeezing in games every second he could did make me thing of some stupid article focused at womenI read about game addiction being one of the top "signs you're dating a 'manchild.'"

Managed to find it, or one similar to the one I was remember, with a quick google.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/charlie-shaw/2013/11/21-signs-youre-dating-a-man-child/

Not that I think the ad will generate that type of reaction. It just funnily made me think of that stupid article/one like it.
That article could've just as easily been titled "21 Signs You're Dating an Asshole". Liking video games isn't "manchild" behavior—it's a fucking hobby and, like an hobby, can become an unhealthy obsession.

Barryman

Etc. etc. etc.

More mundane versions of these will absolutely happen. They are presenting aesthetically pleasing and diverse scenarios and people can extrapolate the relevant use cases...

A single college/university course won't have enough people to have an 8-player match? Maybe, but I'm sure a student gaming group would. You won't play Mario Kart in a taxi? Maybe, but I'm sure some kids would on a road trip in their parents' car. You won't bring your Switch to a rooftop party? Maybe, but I'm sure people will bring it to regular parties...etc. etc.

Nintendo: "Hey, I have this new system + game that allows you to play games with up to 1 friend in outdoors without having to look at a screen. And the battery allows you to do it for up to 2 hours and a half. Only for $350 + taxes!1!!"

SuperBowl spectators: "I have this volleyball. Infinite battery. $17 + taxes"

Nintendo: "..."

brad-t

Etc. etc. etc.

Have you never seen a commercial before?

routerbad

Banned

Etc. etc. etc.

To be fair, they're fantasy situations, but it doesn't matter if they *will* happen, but that people would *want* that possibility. IDK if the messaging works with most people, I think they caught on to the guy not playing with his dog and the overly contrived karting/mkarting and basketball scenes. This ad is actually better for me, and I would absolutely do that in a park, even while my dogs played.

Also, my wife will be interested in what I'm playing, especially when we're both playing Pokemon on individual switches (like we do now with S/M).
This would also totally fit into the parties that I have with friends, which mostly consists of karaoke and drinking and mingling/gossiping.
My company has LAN parties, and I already know of 7 other people getting a switch, and we're going to have a switch centric LAN party shortly after launch, so there will be some 8 player stuff going on, possibly MK if it's in May.

Scrawnton

Nintendo: "Hey, I have this new system + game that allows you to play games with up to 1 friend in outdoors without having to look at a screen. And the battery allows you to do it for up to 2 hours and a half. Only for $350 + taxes!1!!"

I know what you're getting at but let's be realistic, 1, 2, Switch it probably one of the few games that will last the full 6 hours.

Alexlf

Etc. etc. etc.

This will absolutely happen, at least near big game releases and such. I had smash tourneies with people from my linear algebra class aaallll the time.

Barryman

Yes, video games aren't popular because sports exist.

Also the actual Super Bowl ad doesn't feature 1-2 Switch, which will probably run for closer to the 6 hour mark. You're just being a dick.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That article could've just as easily been titled "21 Signs You're Dating an Asshole". Liking video games isn't "manchild" behavior—it's a fucking hobby and, like an hobby, can become an unhealthy obsession.

Agreed.

But unfortunately games just do have a stigma of being "for kids" still though, especially among non-gamers. So that's why it's a "manchild" red flag more than other hobbies.

It's an unfortunate red flag in the dating scene, even if other hobbies can be just as, or more, addictive and distracting from work and life. Mentioning video games in an online dating profile on Match, Tinder etc., or on a first date/blind date, is pretty much a death sentence for getting dates. Unless you get super lucky and find matches who are also big into games anyway.

Grakl

lol

JaseMath

Agreed.

But unfortunately games just do have a stigma of being "for kids" still though, especially among non-gamers. So that's why it's a "manchild" red flag more than other hobbies.

It's an unfortunate red flag in the dating scene, even if other hobbies can be just as, or more, addictive and distracting from work and life. Mentioning video games in an online dating profile on Match, Tinder etc., or on a first date/blind date, is pretty much a death sentence for getting dates. Unless you get super lucky and find matches who are also big into games anyway.

That's the dream.

WadeitOut

I had less fun watching this maybe because of the music.
The music is cool but I don't think it matched the trailer.
UK Ad was better.

Yeah that was definitely my problem. They should have either had something poppy and up beat or mellow but with light tones. Microsoft has been really good at this with their ads in the last half decade.

Effect

Another great commercial. Both the short one and the extended trailer. Really good song choice, didn't that Imagine Dragon's song just come out like two days ago as well? The song choice was clearly chosen I think for the wording and I think that matches what they're trying to say.

As mentioned with all of these ads be it the Superbowl one's or the European ones there is no one narrating. The Switch as a device is easy to show off visually and it's easy to get across exactly what it's doing. As I was watching the extended superbowl one I was wondering if they would show Just Dance and answer if the joycons could be used the way the Wii remotes were used and they showed it. That was good.

The more I see of 1, 2, Switch the more I want to play it. I might bite the bullet at some point and pick it up for family gatherings. Not sure how appropriate it would be for work though.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That's the dream.

Lol.

I never had that dream. Gaming has always been my me time. My fiance hates games personally, but doesn't care that I play a lot. She's a workaholic and also introverted and likes to have alone time watching her shows etc. so it works out great.

Also, and at the risk of being a dick, while I'm sure there are attractive women openly into gaming, they sure weren't on the online dating sites when I was a few years back. Of course hard to know how many just didn't list it just like most of us guys don't list it in our hobbies. And I'm sure the men who openly list gaming among their major interests are just as unappealing...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Some of yall must absolutely hate car commercials.

Commercials in general are fucking awful. Worst part of being a sports fan as that's the only thing I watch live. Anything else gets Tivoed or streamed.

Renekun

Neo Member
THIS is for the players

I am so amazed by the (all!) ads, Nintendo is producing currently. I don't regognize this wonderful company, that reawakens all my slumbering gamer feelings.

Illucio

Banned
A little edgy, but pretty cool/exciting. Fits the whole Super Bowl feeling I'd expect to keep hype up, while selling a new product.

Marketing is on point.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Some of yall must absolutely hate life.

FTFY.

The short ad was good and so was the long one. Not everyone sees gaming through the same cynical, morbidly depressing lens that GAF does (thankfuckinggod).

Josh5890

Awesome news. I called it months ago that Nintendo should do a Switch super bowl commercial. This will be perfect timing.

Not watching it until the big game. I'm looking forward to this

Mory Dunz

It shows how much GAF must put cute girls on a pedestal if the thought of looking over someone's shoulder and smiling for 2 seconds is "completely unrealistic"... -_-

or some weird sexist notion about girls and games

Just noticed Link getting pulled by something while he is sledding on his shield? Was this already shown before? That looked awesome!

AGITΩ

I like the commercial, hopefully they didnt blow the majority of their marketing budget on the super bowl spot. Im hoping for aggressive ad space like back in the wii launch, those commercials were virtually everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom