• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alexander Brandon, the composer of Deus Ex and Unreal, is working with Retro Studios

Kotaku asked Miyamoto which style of Metroid he preferred: 2D or Prime? Miyamoto said he liked them both, and that future installments were planned for both types of games. The Prime game was Federation Force (lol).

Miyamoto said he likes Prime, as a sort of general comment, but he deferred to Shinya Takahashi when asked about specific plans:
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-is-planning-a-future-for-both-2d-and-3d-metroi-1590142491

Stephen Totilo, Kotaku: The following is the conversation [from June 2014] I just had about the series with Shigeru Miyamoto, who runs Nintendo's EAD development group, and Shinya Takahashi, who runs Nintendo's SPD group which oversees everything from Smash Bros. to the new Amiibo project to...that series with the female bounty hunter who can roll into a ball...

Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo: The original creators of Metroid and the director who was the director of the Metroid Prime games who worked under me when I was producing those both now work for Mr. Takahashi, so you'll have to ask him.

[You'll notice that Shinya Takahashi is credited as the General Producer for Federation Force, not Miyamoto.]

Shinya Takahashi, Nintendo: So it has been a while since we released the last one and we're having discussions internally about what we can do next. So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we'll be able to share something about them...

Totilo: I'll get back to that in a second, but which of the two styles do you guys like better? The 2D or Metroid Prime?

Takahashi: I like them both. They both have a different style of appeal.

Miyamoto: I have the New Super Mario Bros. series [for 2D], so I like Prime. I think there's still a lot of new things that could be done with the Prime series.

Totilo: Okay? So Metroid and Samus haven't been just relegated to Smash-roster status, nor does it seem like either beloved style of Metroid game is being relegated to history's dustbin.

Climax aren't doing Metroid, but I followed that twitter chain, and I think they are doing something Zelda-related for Nintendo. A port of something is possible.

Obviously, Retro are doing their new IP - Excite Mechs. And Armature are doing Metroid. /s

qko

I'd love for the E3 presentation start with Donkey King Country Returns 3 and then end with Metroid Prime 4.

That way we''d simultaneously have a "Fucking DKCR3 by Retro Studios guys" and "Holy Shieeet Retro is doing Metroid Prime 4!!!" threads after the presentation.

Izayoi

Banned
I don't think Prime 1's OST can ever be topped, TBH. It's just too fucking good.

Just listening to the menu theme right now to reaffirm my assessment, and yep, it's elder god tier.

Axass

I suspect the Climax part isn't going to be what makes people angry.
You've been here for a long time, you should know that "insiders" hinting stuff without outright telling is not cool and could possibly end up in a ban.

If you've got something to say, say it, or else you'll just come off as the 100th attention whore.

You've been here for a long time, you should know that "insiders" hinting stuff without outright telling is not cool and could possibly end up in a ban.

If you've got something to say, say it, or else you'll just come off as the 100th attention whore.

Staying vague is the only way to hide they read it on Twitter somewhere.

TheMoon

Yes, people like to forget DKC Returns sold more than the Prime series combined. Even Tropical Freeze, hobbled by the Wii U, outperformed two of the three Prime games (including 3 which was on the red hot Wii)

No. You read too much VG Chartz

Probably not honestly. DK has never been a good franchise, and I think the cool reception to TF was reflective of this.

What alternate reality are you from.

Federation Force 2, here we go

Would love to play another game like it. Federation Force was great.

Mediking

Okay, let's keep in mind this is 100% rumor and no one should hunt for heads if it doesn't pan out.

About a year and a half ago, I was told Nintendo was working with a British third party on a Metroid title. At the time, it was nascent and had either not been greenlit or barely started pre-production. I made some hypothetical lists with some other people about who would make it, and Climax was on that list. I was pulling for Sumo Digital or even Ninja Theory to some extent, but Climax seemed a solid bet.

Like...a week ago, I was talking about the Rabbids leaks with someone and they mentioned Metroid by Climax. We talked some details, I talked to some other people who said they had heard the same thing from other sources, etc.

Another Metriod disaster? What are you alluding to? Hinting about?

TheMoon

Again, Brandon's game discography runs the gamut of genres (and after Retro hired an artist from Naughty Dog to work on Donkey Kong I'd figured we'd be done with this whole "based on this ONE previous project from the new hire, we can totally guess their new games tone!" game), he's local (which makes him more favorable to someone working long distance), and he's done work as an audio engineer and converting music to lowerend systems (we dont even know if he's working there as a composer, just that he's working there). Theres nothing you can really piece together from what the project is going to be based on the statement "Alexander Brandon is working at Retro", the dudes career is not one note enough for that.

"He did Deus Ex and Unreal so this next game is going to be dark!" has as much weight as "He's done a lot of music conversion, so he's compressing David Wise's Tropical Freeze soundtrack for the 3DS!" or "Hes creating sound effects/additional tracks for a new Donkey Kong while David Wise composes the majority of the game"

Also my dude, your post is three lines long not an essay there is no reason to bold anything to catch my attention, im going to see it.

can we put this in the OP? people keep not getting it.

TheMoon

You assume incorrectly. This was already addressed and corrected by another poster pages ago, but in your rush to drop some condescenion you flew right by it.

I forgive you.

No time to read the rest of the thread when in dire need to blow up sketchy info :)

edit: I really wish it had handily outsold them

We're going to get a Metroid game where you're a true bounty hunter. Multiple targets, different planets. Something like how Prey 2 would have turned out years ago.

Noogy

I'm always excited to see what Alex is doing next. I've worked with him several times in the past and he always delivers.

Hoping for a new IP, personally.

The Metroid franchise will always be in the grip of Tanabe or Sakamoto, and I'd rather see Retro try something on their own rather than suffer the oversight of those clowns.

sinonobu

Banned
Okay, let's keep in mind this is 100% rumor and no one should hunt for heads if it doesn't pan out.

About a year and a half ago, I was told Nintendo was working with a British third party on a Metroid title. At the time, it was nascent and had either not been greenlit or barely started pre-production. I made some hypothetical lists with some other people about who would make it, and Climax was on that list. I was pulling for Sumo Digital or even Ninja Theory to some extent, but Climax seemed a solid bet.

Like...a week ago, I was talking about the Rabbids leaks with someone and they mentioned Metroid by Climax. We talked some details, I talked to some other people who said they had heard the same thing from other sources, etc.

So 2D metroid?

... so, let's speculate, what about a Metroid game would make us angry? Federation Force 2? Other M 2? Samus talking too much? No Samus at all?

I bet it's a 3DS game hehe

Oh god that might actually be the case.

Why speculate on it being 3DS when
it could be mobile

I'd honestly be happier if it was mobile than 3DS, at least if it's mobile it will have an interesting and different gameplay style.

TheMoon

... so, let's speculate, what about a Metroid game would make us angry? Federation Force 2? Other M 2? Samus talking too much? No Samus at all?

how much time do you have?

think of everything that doesn't make it Super Metroid-like or Prime 4 and Switch-only.

Metroid diehards are some of the worst, most whiny babies (pun fucking intended) in the wider complainosphere.

how much time do you have?

think of everything that doesn't make it Super Metroid-like or Prime 4 and Switch-only.

Metroid diehards are some of the worst, most whiny babies (pun fucking intended) in the wider complainosphere.

And yet, it being 3DS exclusive is probably still the most likely thing haha

Also, this is the first time I've heard the term "complainosphere" and I love it.

NateDrake

Many months ago I too heard of the Climax rumor but with one difference: they are only providing assistance with development.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
A good Metroid-themed multi-FPS + gaf meltdowns? Sounds like a win-win to me ; )

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Announcing a Metroid for 3DS at E3 would be completely hilarious. They'd be better off canning it and transferring it to Switch at this point. The fans revolted at Federation Force.

Many months ago I too heard of the Climax rumor but with one difference: they are only providing assistance with development.
Ohh yes the juicy details. Climax with assistance.

Hmm so where does this take us now? Retro doing a new IP and Metroid and they needed some assistance with Metroid.

Ohh yes the juicy details. Climax with assistance.

Hmm so where does this take us now? Retro doing a new IP and Metroid and they needed some assistance with Metroid.

The Climax Metroid rumor has been shared by a lot of people, though like Alberto said that doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate.

However, as for Retro, I'm gonna stick by my never believing any Retro rumor rule. It has served me well in the past.

And especially don't believe SMD's Retro rumors.

DMONKUMA

tenor.gif

Lol

NateDrake

The Climax Metroid rumor has been shared by a lot of people, though like Alberto said that doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate.

However, as for Retro, I'm gonna stick by my never believing any Retro rumor rule. It has served me well in the past.

And especially don't believe SMD's Retro rumors.
Yeah. Certainly don't take my comment to change any thing. The info could be wrong, but I just wanted to expand on his comment a bit. It'll be pretty crazy if the Climax rumor ends up being accurate.

Eolz

As far as I know, Climax certainly isn't lead or even a main development studio on a Nintendo title yeah...
Who knows for assistance, but I really, really doubt it (again, from what I know, I work in this industry in the same country). Wonder why Nintendo would even chose them too...

Top Bottom