• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack: Driver runs over Muslim pedestrians leaving Mosque in London

I blame racist news media in the U.K. and the politicians stoking the fires of islamophobia

You don't think that perhaps the Manchester and London attacks in the past month may have been a contributing factor too? I despise the Daily Mail as much as the next man and can see the damage they do, but you missed a fairly significant contributing factor, to suit your own politics. Bit sleazy.

Temascos

Neo Member
Man, horrible news to hear about. Glad they managed to catch the guy who did it as well, he needs the 'terrorist' label on him front and centre whenever he's mentioned in the news. Of course, the chances of that happening are slim.

Here's hoping the victims get all the support they need.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This is so depressing. I just cannot think of a way to stop a nutter killing people buy driving into them with a vehicle.

GHG

*shrug* Sounds more like a hate crime to me since it seems to be targeted at Muslims, terrorism seems more indiscriminate. But I'll leave it up to the police to call it, I'm assuming they would be very different type of investigations.

I have no idea why I continued to read this post past the *shrug*.

I wonder if your reaction to other recent atrocities was *shrug*? There's much more I'd like to say but it would likely get me banned so I will refrain.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
This is so depressing. I just cannot think of a way to stop a nutter killing people buy driving into them with a vehicle.

selby1.jpg

Would be way too expensive though.

Can we not do this again please. It's not realistic to have these on every single pavement across the UK considering how indiscriminate these attacks are.

And they wouldn't stop a truck anyway. A van, sure, but trucks have been used as well.

Kworn

Banned
It is literally the same sort of attack from Westminster and London Bridge targeting people because of their ethnicity. Why is it any different.

But the definition of terrorism does not fit this:

The unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

In pursuit of political aims? I don't think so.

The unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Political aims being to "protect England" and wipe out Muslims? I mean we already have EDL and Britain First nutjobs starting to call it a revenge attack, ignoring that the Mosque won awards for combating extremism etc.

I mean. it is a terrorist attack. There's a dictionary definition for racism too, but that doesn't stop something being racist.

GHG

Are you mad?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Terrorist attack? Really?

Is "terrorist attack" too strong of a term for an event where a guy with murderous intent who screamed that he wanted to kill all Muslims ran over and injured + killed Muslims with his car?

Too strong? What's the proper term, then? "Accident"? "Crash"? What?

If this wasn't a terrorist attack then neither was the London Bridge attack.

Sanjay

The BBC won't outright call it a terrorist attack until that's been officially stated. Exactly as other recent events of a similar nature. Their front page news coverage on their website (11 links including a live page, above the Brexit negotiations and all other news stories) uses the word 'terrorist' to refer to it, though.

POLICE: THIS WAS A TERRORIST ATTACK.

Is not enough?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's the same sort of attack as the one on the bridge.

I would have characterised this as a racially motivated attack but folks can call it a terrorist attack if they want. Whatever you call it. It's still a terrible and shocking escalation of violence.

You're intentionally being obtuse to make a nothing point but if you have more concern for language used than the incident and victims that speaks for itself.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man

I am intrigued by your hypothesis. Tell me more about this idea that this attack shouldn't be considered an act of terrorism targeting Muslims, please.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
The sad thing:

This mosque recently held an event in remembrance of MP Jo Cox.

Incredibly heartbreaking. These rightwing extremists need to taken seriously.

Unbelievably dumb.

A genuine stereotype level of posting.

cyberheater

I am intrigued by your hypothesis. Tell me more about this idea that this attack shouldn't be considered an act of terrorism targeting Muslims, please.

Can you add terrorist to the thread title please.

Lime

You don't think that perhaps the Manchester and London attacks in the past month may have been a contributing factor too? I despise the Daily Mail as much as the next man and can see the damage they do, but you missed a fairly significant contributing factor, to suit your own politics. Bit sleazy.

If the public discourse was able to have a proper conversation about the 'terrorist attacks' in Manchester and London, there would be less motivation by right-winged nuts to attack Muslims. Instead you have a completely nutjob news media in the UK and opportunist politicians who go for the easy victim to blame.

Chinner

Banned
Well you see, the van man was simply driving down the road the rotation of the earth moved his van onto the pavement. The Muslims could have moved out of the way if they wanted to, but they decided not to. If anything this is not terrorism, but just intentional suicide.

Plasma

Banned

How is this not political?

BBC Radio 6 Music's news are now saying it was a terrorist attack.

I just cannot understand how the world has deteriorated to the point that this kind of thing is almost common now.

Pandy

Just quoting one example for time, not meaning to pick on Kworn specifically, but what the fuck is going on in this thread?

If they were targeted purely on the basis of their religion, and not because of some personal vendetta involving the specific individuals, then it is terrorism and we need to treat it as such.
The last thing the country needs at the moment is an attempt to 'whitewash' this.

Dopus

Banned

Nonsense. Under the Terrorism Act 2000 it most definitely is:

Section 1. –
(1) In this Act "terrorism" means the use or threat of action where-
(a) the action falls within subsection (2),
(b) the use or threat is designed to influence the government [or an international governmental organisation][2] or to intimidate the public or a section of the public, and
(c) the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious[, racial][3] or ideological cause.

Sch1sm

You don't have to be backing some big, bad, terrorist state to have an ideology.

alatif113

Is "terrorist attack" too strong of a term for an event where a guy with murderous intent who screamed that he wanted to kill all Muslims ran over and injured + killed Muslims with his car?

Too strong? What's the proper term, then? "Accident"? "Crash"? What?

Driver apparently runs over Muslim pedestrians. Gotta call it what it is. I mean, apparently, right? Apparently.

People who argue that there isn't some sort of bias when reporting this stuff, even on GAF, are purposely being disingenuous.

Pandy

Nonsense. Under the Terrorism Act 2000 it most definitely is:
It's still a fucking disgrace that Jo Cox's killer wasn't charged under the terrorism act. I'm glad the police have been quicker to call a spade a spade this time around.

Maledict

Given that it's the counter terrorism police in command of the incident, that operation Plato has been activated again across London, that the PM classed it a terrorist attack and that every newspaper in the country (even the appalling Daily Mail) is calling a terrorist attack I'm not really sure why the semantics of definition are under question here.

It's a terrorist attack. It's being treated and called a terrorist attack by everybody involved.

this is why it is sometimes hard to deal with GAF posters.

Top Bottom