• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2017 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, July 11th

Elandyll

Banned
...wow...

Dont know whats more amazing, the big PS4 number or the low XBO number...

Gotta agree with others, and I mentioned it a few times. Wouldnt be surprised if MS made the One X next gen.

That would probably help get it more sales vs calling it a mid gen refresh with that price.
They can't magically just make the 1X a new gen just because though.

It's "only" 50% more powerful than a Pro, is based on the same CPU with a clock boost, and it straight plays the XB1 games.

At that price, trying to re-label it would just draw confusion from buyers imo.

At this point, they just need to ride the next 2-3 years the best they can and not lose money in the process.
Also make a tough decision as to break with the regular console pattern with gens and do something different (basically go mostly software and services, delegating hardware as PC-like to a Dell or similar and just use Xbox branding) or just carry on with console gens and risk a full repeat of what happened with PS4.

tusken77

Extremely impressive PS4 numbers. Thoroughly deserved. :)

sGHTImP.gif

Oh that is a juicy leak.

PS4
Jan: 210,665
Feb: 398,407
Mar: 396,726
Apr: 206,247
May: 187,182
Jun: 381,196

XB1
Jan: 157,545
Feb: 215,418
Mar: 243,514
Apr: 109,950
May: 109,130
Jun: 153,389

Switch
Mar: 910,545
Apr: 280,897
May: 165,038
Jun: 215,582

Thanks go to jal356

Those PS4 Feb and June numbers are impressive. If PS4 manages to ship 20 million this year, then it would join the Wii and PS2 as the only consoles to have multiple years of 20+ shipment. PS4 lifecycle shouldn't collapse like the Wii so it bodes very well for LTD sales.

How the hell did the PS4 even pull off those numbers for a relatively quiet month like June? I can't think of a standout reason, unless Crash has as much sway in Trumpland as he does in the UK.

How the hell did the PS4 even pull off those numbers for a relatively quiet month like June? I can't think of a standout reason, unless Crash has as much sway in Trumpland as he does in the UK.

Crash, Tekken and that price cut I suppose?

Gotta take in consideration that kids on summer break buying the PS4 for them early 2017 exclusives ; - )

There was a 9 day summer promotion with a Gold PS4 1TB for 250USD.

Days of Play summer sale was a very smart move. Significant discounts not only on the hardware, but also desirable software and distinctive limited edition SKUs, right on top of the E3 hype cycle and relatively quiet summer month. Sony pushed it fairly strongly, as well, seen ads for it quite frequently.

Sony's been flexing the marketing muscle their market position affords them to keep mindshare high throughout the year.

Shin-Ra

Oh that is a juicy leak.

Thanks go to jal356
Code:
          [B]PS4[/B]         [B]XBO[/B]         [B]NSW[/B]
[B]jan[/B]     210,665     157,545   
[B]feb[/B]     398,407     215,418   
[B]mar[/B]     396,726     243,514     910,545
[B]apr[/B]     206,247     109,950     280,897
[B]may[/B]     187,182     109,130     165,038
[U][B]jun[/B]     381,196     153,389     215,582[/U]
[B]YTD[/B]   1,780,423     988,946   1,572,062

cakely

Wooooo sales numbers! It's been so long ...

PS4 / XBO is almost at 2:1 in NA for 2017, and the June numbers are much larger than I would have expected.

I think we have to conclude that all those PS4 Q1 exclusives really had a significant, cumulative impact on sales this year. Microsoft doubled down on the idea that exclusives were no longer important and really got burnt.

I think we can also conclude that, despite claims here to the contrary, Xbox One S was not a more desirable product, even in it's home territory.

I expect this trend to continue until November, where the Xbox One X pre-orders will put the Xbox One over the PlayStation 4. In December I would expect the order to revert.

Purest 78

MS is in a tough position in the gaming market: their current product is performing mediocrely and failed to capitalize on the previous gen success, their mid-gen refresh is late to the market with no clear path forward. They can't afford to let Sony get an early start to next gen, network effect is too strong in the gaming market.

Their next gen console has to arrive close to the PS5 launch, priced competitively and with a pretty clear, strong game lineup, else they'll flop even harder than this gen.

It's simple to me MS core games have a loyal following. Problem is there's so much competition in those genres now they don't seem to pull in New people. For example Halo was a most own game back in the day. These days there's so many Fps on the market.

allan-bh

What a great june for PS4. The 1TB Gold model for $249 was an excellent deal.

Xbox One is going through a low profile moment. Microsoft needs to promote some deals, just wait for the XB1 X launch is not enough.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Days of Play summer sale was a very smart move. Significant discounts not only on the hardware, but also desirable software and distinctive limited edition SKUs, right on top of the E3 hype cycle and relatively quiet summer month. Sony pushed it fairly strongly, as well, seen ads for it quite frequently.

Sony's been flexing the marketing muscle their market position affords them to keep mindshare high throughout the year.

Horizon ZD was part of the sale. Uncharted 4, WD 2...

Smart move by Sony.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Just realized....bye bye my prediction, lol.

I was close on the other 2, waaay off on PS4.

Usually its Nintendo that gets me with the predictions.

It is definitely smart. No need to have lousy spring and summer months when you can use those months to boost your foundation for the big fall sales. I hope Sony continues to prioritize these periods with software and deals.

blakep267

What a great june for PS4. The 1TB Gold model for $249 was an excellent deal.

Xbox One is going through a low profile moment. Microsoft needs to promote some deals, just wait for the XB1 X launch is not enough.
I'd say they are "content" to sit until September and then they will start blowing deals out.

Late August will have the annual Madden bundle. Then I can see them doing the buy an Xbox get a free game again in September for Destiny, then October will likely see Assassins creed and Shadow of War bundles. Then a $50 price cut in November along with the X launch.

That's just my opinion of what they are going to do

I think what really hurt them is that they didn't really have any enticing game bundles. They have Forza Horizon 3 and Halo Wars 2. A wild lands bundle would've helped them a lot

allan-bh

I'd say they are "content" to sit until September and then they will start blowing deals out.

Late August will have the annual Madden bundle. Then I can see them doing the buy an Xbox get a free game again in September for Destiny, then October will likely see Assassins creed and Shadow of War bundles. Then a $50 price cut in November along with the X launch.

That's just my opinion of what they are going to do

I think what really hurt them is that they didn't really have any enticing game bundles. They have Forza Horizon 3 and Halo Wars 2. A wild lands bundle would've helped them a lot

yeah, probably is what will happen, Microsoft is more aggressive in the last months of the year.

I think MS will recover somewhat in the fall as well. It is just a missed opportunity for them either way. They can see success during spring/summer (e.g, Titanfall) but they don't capitalize.

tmac456

Why would MS need hardware sale momentum, they are beyond hardware unit numbers long time ago.
They want to secure high spending customers and 1X will help them do that. Recent Ubi 80% revenue from digital told us MS is on the right track.
It's all about service and ecosystem.

Solid bait.

Or you're just that delusional. Either way, LOL

Jotaka

As I said before Xbox is fighting to stay in the 2nd place and don't fall to 3rd place world wide. And probable it will fall don't matter what.

Mikey Jr.

Xbox definitely had some rejuvenation with the S model.

But boy, did that evaporate quickly. That bump probably wasn't growing the base, just helping upgrade existing owners.

If those numbers are real, then woof!

200k+ gap in a non holiday month?

No wonder Xbox is pushing Scorpio as hard as they can. America is their strongest region, and Playstation is beating them. MS right now has no where that is strong for them. Maybe some Latin country like Brazil.

Not sure what MS is expecting the Scorpio to do here, especially at that fucking price.

Gurish

Maybe MS would understand soon that their platform actually needs games, XB1 is one of the blandest consoles in recent memory, it lacks any sort of identity, unlike the Switch and PS4, their weak sales are deserved.

I think XB1 sales have stagnated and its hit a ceiling i don't see X1X changing that with its price tag.

Also, the YOY gap will continue to grow since Microsoft released the XB1 S last August. Microsoft doesn't have that kind of luxury this year. The launch of the XB1 X should counteract some of the YOY drop, but it won't be enough, in my opinion.

Impressive numbers for PS4. Thirst is real for the Switch. I am going to make that plunge soon enough. I have fought it, but when their hardware stock increases, I am in. This would be my first ninty system ever since Gamecube.

Mooreberg

MS definitely needs to publish more games throughout the year, but that has been said repeatedly since 2014. I don't see how a $499 unit is going to help either. Sony has a chance to not repeat mistakes made in the early PS3 days - rather than rushing something expensive to market, use your mainstream priced device to better combat a new platform that is affordably priced and selling well. They have had an incredibly strong software lineup this year, and should be able to accomplish the same next year.

Welfare

Weekly Averages for 2017

Code:
Month |   XB1  |   PS4
Jan   | 39,386 | 52,666
Feb   | 53,855 | 99,602
Mar   | 48,703 | 79,345
Apr   | 27,488 | 51,562
May   | 27,283 | 46,796
Jun   | 30,678 | 76,239

Code:
Month |   XB1  |   PS4
Jan   |  -87%  |  -83%
Feb   |  +37%  |  +89%
Mar   |  -10%  |  -20%
Apr   |  -44%  |  -35%
May   |  -1%   |  -9%
Jun   |  +12%  |  +63%

It's pretty clear that XB1 flopped in February while PS4 had the expected increase from January. It's so weird to see such a small increase from January. Also that $249 deal in June for XB1 did absolutely nothing. If that wasn't a thing June would have been worse.

I think the lack of MS exclusive games is the responsible for those Xbox sales. MS should drop the "let's release our games only in Q4" fast.

Square2015

PS4 vs. past PS consoles graph updated with the leaked #s
Zg7Atms.png

LTD up to this pt:
PS2 - 23.4m
PS4 - 19.3m
PS1 - 16.1m
PS3 - 12.7m

Boke1879

I really don't see what changes towards the end of the year.

PS4 is pushing a premium bundle with Destiny 2 for September. I think that's going to be a big month for the PS4.

GT sport releases and while that may not set the things ablaze here in the states in think WW it'll do well for itself. Not to mention COD and Battlefront 2 will be pushed heavily with PS4.

I think Sony really had the perfect storm. The exclusives both first and 3rd party being launched this year. Keep the console relevant.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So if you take away ps4 sales ps4 sales are down?

Not to mention the fact that we don't even know the possible situation if Pro was not there. People may be buying pro who otherwise would have bought a PS4 Slim anyways even if it wasn't a Pro.

To say nothing of if Sony had come out with a Xbox One S version of the Slim instead of the Pro, i actually think it would be selling on a similar level as the Pro and Slim models

Top Bottom