• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-St. Louis police officer Jason Stockley found not guilty of murder

Chichikov

How can you waive your right to a jury trial? Juries aren't just a right of the accused bit of the people to prevent shit like this.
I mean from a strictly practical perspective, you think a jury in St. Louis county (or anything else for that matter) is super likely to convict a white cop of murdering a black #NotAnAngel?

St. Louisan. If blocking the highway is what will get people to actually pay attention to this issue, I'm not going to criticize anyone for doing it. That doesn't seem to be a very popular opinion around here though...

There are so many logical inconsistencies in this verdict by the Judge.

He acknowledges the prosecution's claim that the defendant planted the gun, but claims that the evidence shows (i.e. lack of testimony) that the defendant didn't go near the vehicle or wasn't seen planting the weapon.

And yet, the DNA evidence shows DNA consistent with the defendant, yet this judge handwaves it away with a claim that the defendant took off his gloves to rifle through his bag in his own car.

You can either have one or the other. You can't have both!

If the evidence (testimony) shows that Stockely didn't go near the car, then how did his DNA get on the gun?

And if you accept his DNA on the gun because he went to the car and retrieved it, then THAT IS evidence that he went to the car and clear opportunity for him to plant the weapon.

Also, the bit about heroine dealers without a firearm is uncommon... I just don't... wow!

Was the bag containing the gun brought over by the other officer on the scene? I mean thats the only way that he could have not gone over to the car, yet had his DNA on the gun. Again, Im no DNA expert, but i would assume if you owned a gun and handled it once or twice, there would be trace amounts of your DNA on the gun. I have a friend that works for a forensic department that Im tempted to call and talk to about this.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Fuck that piece of shit cop, fuck that racist motherfucking judge, fuck the whole day system.

Rest in Power Anthony Lamar Smith.

Malvolio

"Heroin dealers are usually strapped, so this gun with no connection to you whatsoever must be yours."

That just happened in a court of "law". Disgusting.

St. Louisan. If blocking the highway is what will get people to actually pay attention to this issue, I'm not going to criticize anyone for doing it. That doesn't seem to be a very popular opinion around here though...

Hope the protesters are safe as many terrorists, I mean Republicans, in government are trying to make it ok to run over protesters.

Memory

DOB0LpP.png

Fuck this judge.

Ambiguous, really? No relation to action that immediately followed it? Straight up BS.

inky

"Heroin dealers are usually strapped, so this gun with no connection to you whatsoever must be yours."

That just happened in a court of "law". Disgusting.

After "plus he probably didn't mean it even though he said he was going to kill and did".

It's getting increasingly obvious that a revolution is needed because America is broken almost beyond repair.

Malvolio

After "plus he probably didn't mean it even though he said he was going to kill and did".

It's getting increasingly obvious that a revolution is needed because America is broken almost beyond repair.

Absolutely. The system is broken and any attempts to correct it within the system's rules are foolish.

I'm just asking a question here... but what if someone defended themselves from cops with force?

You and your family would be ruined. Either the other cops kill you on the spot or sometime later on. Harshest punishments are trotted out for anyone who does anything to a cop. If you can be arrested for bleeding on a cop after they beat you, trust me it's going to be terrible for you if you try.

I'm just asking a question here... but what if someone defended themselves from cops with force?

IIRC there have been cases where police conducted raids on wrong houses (which they didn't have a warrant for). I think there was one where a vet shot at the police entering his home, and was killed. Officers faced no consequence.

I'm surprised that the test you have to take (if there is one) to become a cop doesn't ask, "Are you pumped to kill anyone and not get in trouble? Y/N."

Curious if the DA's office appeals this verdict by the judge.

I'd appeal to the ends of the earth about this shit.

ReAxion

it's slightly promising that businesses are starting to brace themselves for civil unrest. going down this road, they just might start asking city officials to... i dunno... do something about cops killing citizens so that they won't have to stop operations.

bosseye

Wow. It's genuinely upsetting how unfair this all is, but at this stage entirely expected from what appears to he a fundamentily broken, racist legal system.

You will die. I'm not kidding. Cops are trained to put down ANYTHING they perceive as a threat no questions. hence dead unarmed black men nationwide.

If you do survive, you will be hunted and you will be considered a fugitive.

If you decide to truly fight back... you really have to make the decision that your life was in immediate jeopardy, and you have to come with the realization that you may only be extending your life for a few minutes.

I don't think full video justifying your actions would even save you from the slander and libel nationwide especially after your family buries you.

Edit: let's not forgot the tons of blue lives hate crime legislation that just passed.

AVOID COPS, DON'T FIGHT THEM

Kuga

Generally speaking, pulling a weapon on U.S. law enforcement is a very easy way to get yourself shot or killed. So much so that "suicide by cop" is a thing, unfortunately.

Also, U.S. law generally doesn't hold police accountable for deaths if they acted in self defense (i.e., you attack the police first) or perceived something as a direct threat to their life (one of the defense's major arguments in this trial - not to say it was valid at all in this situation).

Enzom21

You will die. I'm not kidding. Cops are trained to put down ANYTHING they perceive as a threat no questions. hence dead unarmed black men nationwide.

If you do survive, you will be hunted and you will be considered a fugitive.

If you decide to truly fight back... you really have to make the decision that your life was in immediate jeopardy, and you have to come with the realization that you may only be extending your life for a few minutes.

I don't think full video justifying your actions would even save you from the slander and libel nationwide especially after your family buries you.

Edit: let's not forgot the tons of blue lives hate crime legislation that just passed.

AVOID COPS, DON'T FIGHT THEM

If you are black, you will absolutely die. White, that's not a 100% guarantee.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
do what your heart says citizens of STL, that verdict is a fucking disgrace and only continues to show the system doesn't care about black people. let them know how that makes you feel.

Kill3r7

So TIL that I can say "I am going to kill this motherfucker" and then shoot any policemen, politician, and President and it's A-OKAY.

WOW.

You can't. There were a series of actions that occurred between when the statement was made and when the weapon was fired. I mean if you shouted that I am going to kill my wife and she is dead the next morning you better believe the prosecutor will use that against you to establish mens rea.

Top Bottom