• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-St. Louis police officer Jason Stockley found not guilty of murder

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
DOB0LpP.png

Fuck this judge.

in a world where "we're gonna kill this motherfucker" is ambiguous. i seriously just laughed out loud.

Flo_Evans

in a world where "we're gonna kill this motherfucker" is ambiguous. i seriously just laughed out loud.

Its not like that was mid-chase either. He said that 45 seconds before the chase ended, he jumped from the car and walked up and shot him... like wtf.

gcubed

... wait. I'm going to kill him is ambiguous and you can only judge him from his subsequent actions where he... Killed him.

I'm confused

This is cartoon comic book levels of over the top absurdity. I've gotta read the rest of this. How the hell does he explain away the rest of the obviously damning evidence?

He mentions a few times that the officer didn't know Smith personally. So, you know, you can't murder someone you don't know? Or something?

belvedere

Junior Butler
I'm no lawyer, but isn't context irrelevant when you say "I'm going to kill this person" then kill that person?

Amazing.

CornDogg

Pretty sure his rationale was that he killed a black man so its cool.

Well, I suppose that may be true in terms of the motivation for reaching this decision, but I was referring more to the legal opinion, which others have since referenced.

DOB0LpP.png

Fuck this judge.

This. I'm fairly certain plenty of normal people would have been (and have been) locked up forever in this scenario, particularly with this kind of evidence. Such a miscarriage of justice.

Can this decision be appealed?

Theoretically, can't the DOJ intervene and ensure this guy gets punished? I know it isn't happening under Sessions.
Sessions is watching this unfold and furiously doing something that no one should hear or see as we speak. Also, the higher up the chain this goes, the more likely it becomes that Trump will actually attempt a pardon.

Yes, that sounds ridiculous and considering how these last 8 months have been it can absolutely happen.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm sure that if a black man had said "I'm gonna kill this motherfucker" and then shot a police officer to death, this judge would also find it hard to perceive any murderous intent. I'm sure.

The thoughts in my head for what would have to happen for change to occur sounds too fucked up and dark, so I won't even post. But I seriously cannot fathom how this shit stops. If the status quo keeps on like this though, shit will NEVER change.

BFIB

I live about 15 min from St. Louis, local media is all over right now warning to avoid downtown.

Kill3r7

He mentions a few times that the officer didn't know Smith personally. So, you know, you can't murder someone you don't know? Or something?

It is normal in legal proceedings to cover such topics to eliminate prior knowledge and animosity as motive. This is pretty standard.

So cops can waive jury trials to get a single judge to rule on them?

Anyone can. Most do not because juries are more forgiving.

The thoughts in my head for what would have to happen for change to occur sounds too fucked up and dark, so I won't even post. But I seriously cannot fathom how this shit stops. If the status quo keeps on like this though, shit will NEVER change.

If you want actual change to occur within a generation, yeah, it's going to be ugly. Peaceful social engineering could work but you need a stabilised government and people in the right positions to implement a plan for change in making sure this kind of shit is weeded out in our youth. That's going to take generations.

I honestly don't know what to do. I hate seeing property damaged but people are mad and have every right to be. Stay safe if your in the region.

It is normal in legal proceedings to cover such topics to eliminate prior knowledge and animosity as motive. This is pretty standard.

Anyone can. Most do not because juries are more forgiving.

That's fair. I don't tend to read these things this closely.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
St. Louis Circuit Judge Timothy Wilson found him not guilty... I wonder why.

The cop would have to be black. We don't have the complexion for protection.

To be fair, it's not the judge who finds the cop guilty or not guilty. It's the jurors. Which is why its so aggravating. People see a cop shooting someone without reason, and THEY say that it's okay.

THAT is the real problem. The cops are simply an extension of the problem with America. You can't leave food on your porch for weeks, and then get mad about the rodents and pests that are running around on your property.

Edit: It was by just the JUDGE??? I can't...

So I guess this was a bench trial because the prosecutor didn't want the have to explaIn why it took so long to charge the guy?

Read the 30 page verdict. Judge acknowledges that stockley said "were killing this moherfucker don't you know." Oh but the judge says this was just the stress of the police chase...and that can be ambiguous??

Stockley DNA on the gun? Oh, he is the one who found it and emptied it? Convenient. Why do you have the officer who is involved clear the car, the threat is gone at that point.

Oh, stockley went to West Point? Injured in Baghdad? Sounds like a golden boy

The ak47 wasn't used and is irrelevant to the charge of murder, I would agree to that fact.

Did bianchi not testify, stockley claimed he shouted gun pre-chase...no he did not. That is a curious point, how do you not put the partner on the stand????

Judge says the gun was too big to not be visible in the cell phone video. Apparently none of the officers that were standing around would testify that they saw a gun. No surprise there. I guess the good thing is they didn't testify they didn't see a gun either...

Ok, done with that. I can see how he was found not guilty, but obviously that verdict is crafted to support a finding of not guilty. Where's the proof the gun was planted? It seems all supposition and speculation. Why didn't bianchi testify? I have a lot of questions for the prosecutors here, they left gaps here, perhaps unfillable gaps.

Ultimately we have a case involving a West Point injured vet cop chasing a heroin dealer, high speed chase, death, 2011, case exhumed in the wake of the Michael brown fall out. That's a lot of baggage to sift through, what new evidence was developed after the prosecutor and the doj declined charges in 2012?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
To be fair, it's not the judge who finds the cop guilty or not guilty. It's the jurors. Which is why its so aggravating. People see a cop shooting someone without reason, and THEY say that it's okay.

THAT is the real problem. The cops are simply an extension of the problem with America. You can't leave food on your porch for weeks, and then get mad about the rodents and pests that are running around on your property.

this was a bench trial, no jury.

Read everything else. He waived a jury trial and the judge found him not guilty.

This is disgusting.

commedieu

Banned
I really hope that no one riots. But riots are the voice of the unheard and ignored. America has made it a profession to do so.

Unfortunately, riots are exactly what these people want. It completes the picture that we are animals and have to be treated like it's the damned running of the bulls. But people riot all the time for shit. White people can blow up a city while drunk and on rampage and it doesn't mean they're all animals. Other folks don't get that pass because they aren't seen as human beings.

Enzom21

This was not a jury trial.

McBryBry

Can he be retried for lesser charges? I know the judge could have, but he chose to not go the route of bothering with lesser charges. Does that mean they're still applicable?

TS-08

This was not a jury trial. The verdict was reached by a judge.

Kill3r7

So I guess this was a bench trial because the prosecutor didn't want the have to explaIn why it took so long to charge the guy?

Read the 30 page verdict. Judge acknowledges that stockley said "were killing this moherfucker don't you know." Oh but the judge says this was just the stress of the police chase...and that can be ambiguous??

Stockley DNA on the gun? Oh, he is the one who found it and emptied it? Convenient. Why do you have the officer who is involved clear the car, the threat is gone at that point.

Oh, stockley went to West Point? Injured in Baghdad? Sounds like a golden boy

The ak47 wasn't used and is irrelevant to the charge of murder, I would agree to that fact.

Did bianchi not testify, stockley claimed he shouted gun pre-chase...no he did not. That is a curious point, how do you not put the partner on the stand????

Judge says the gun was too big to not be visible in the cell phone video. Apparently none of the officers that were standing around would testify that they saw a gun. No surprise there. I guess the good thing is they didn't testify they didn't see a gun either...

Ok, done with that. I can see how he was found not guilty, but obviously that verdict is crafted to support a finding of not guilty. Where's the proof the gun was planted? It seems all supposition and speculation. Why didn't bianchi testify? I have a lot of questions for the prosecutors here, they left gaps here, perhaps unfillable gaps.

Ultimately we have a case involving a West Point injured vet cop chasing a heroin dealer, high speed chase, death, 2011, case exhumed in the wake of the Michael brown fall out. That's a lot of baggage to sift through, what new evidence was developed after the prosecutor and the doj declined charges in 2012?

The D requested a bench trial. Bianchi sounds like a bad state's witness. Unless you are about to catch the D red handed you probably want to avoid putting on a state's witness that will support the D claims.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I expected this outcome and yet, I'm still upset by it. A broken law enforcement system with a broken justice system continuing the trend of justice not being for all.

Top Bottom